• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Stand (novel) Unmarked spoilers for both the novel and mini-series

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was pretty good :v I've been listening to the audiobook for a few hours (give or take) every night. I'd never read it before, aside from a cursory examination of the first handful of pages, but I had seen the mini-series. At the time I really liked the mini-series, and still kind of do - the acting is all well-done - but after having listened to the audiobook, it's hard to enjoy it now. There's so much depth to all of the characters that is lost from not having the time to really give them focus. For instance, I felt that Harold and Nadine were not adequately fleshed out in the mini-series. To me, they just felt kind of like a couple of assholes. In the books though, I found them to be way more sympathetic. It wasn't JUST that they were under Flagg's control, but also that Harold was an unloved child who didn't get any recognition for his accomplishments (both before and after Captain Trip). He was still a possessive douchebag, but the book takes it time to kind of establish a deeper awareness that he is or was being shit. Nadine meanwhile in the mini-series felt like she reveled in doing harm. Why was she influenced by Flagg? Aside from him directly imprinting upon her that she was the vessel for his would-be child, I only figured out some of her motivations in the book. It was especially valuable that in the book she was the parental figure for Joe/Leo, and expressed the fact that without someone to need her, she loses purpose. Every character has this kind of problem, but I thought that these two in particular were more egregious. Oh, and I suppose Mother Abigail too - she always felt more like a plot device than a character.

What really bugs me is that they are trying to do a film adaptation of the book, and it's like, the last time you did an adaptation you spent years trying to wrap your head around how to condense it all. How about going to HBO and create "The Stand" TV series? You can spend as much time as you want on the characters, and you don't have to cut down the violence (I was somewhat surprised just how more violent and graphic it was - talking about faces being blown away and such).

I enjoyed more of the horror and survival elements of the book. The good vs. evil aspect felt cliche and kinda boring.

The mini-series felt really dry to me. My favorite parts from both were Stu escaping the hospital and the other characters walking through the tunnel. I wish more of it had been like that.
I need to reread it. Fun fact, I first read it when I was like ten.
I'm more impressed you as a ten year old got through a 1200 page novel.

Does the book have the same awful ending where
glowing hand of god just comes and stops the nuke lol
?

Basically yeah :v it at least didn't feel as bad, especially because it didn't have Mother Abigail's narration as the hand of God came down (which felt like it went against the point of Mother Abigail to have her effectively serving as the voice of God). If you're at all interested in reading the book though, you should read it and not be spoiled. Granted it's pretty similar, but there's a lot of stuff that's reduced and simply missing from the mini-series.

I enjoyed more of the horror and survival elements of the book. The good vs. evil aspect felt cliche and kinda boring.

The mini-series felt really dry to me. My favorite parts from both were Stu escaping the hospital and the other characters walking through the tunnel. I wish more of it had been like that.

I'm more impressed you as a ten year old got through a 1200 page novel.

I felt that the good vs. evil stuff was done kind of okay. It gave us more insight into the people on the side of evil than the mini-series did, where we saw Trashcan Man and Lloyd Henreid as pitiable characters. It gave a lot better insight into the people on the other side.

Brakke

Banned
I keep thinking I'll get around to this. Randall Flagg's whole business in The Dark Tower kind of turned me off him as a concept though. He's built up so important and sinister there then just turns out to be a total jobber.

I liked the book alright. I could've lived without the part where that one guy sodomized the firebug with his pistol. But I guess it wouldn't really be a Stephen King book without something like that in there.

Hazmat

I liked the book alright. I could've lived without the part where that one guy sodomized the firebug with his pistol. But I guess it wouldn't really be a Stephen King book without something like that in there.

I want to say that section is one of the things that the editor cut out of King's manuscript for the original release that got restored for the uncut version. I love Stephen King, but that was a good cut (and a lot of his books could use an editor that could push back against him, but that's not going to happen).

Anyway, this is my favorite of King's books. It's the only one that I've read twice.

I want to say that section is one of the things that the editor cut out of King's manuscript for the original release that got restored for the uncut version. I love Stephen King, but that was a good cut (and a lot of his books could use an editor that could push back against him, but that's not going to happen).

Anyway, this is my favorite of King's books. It's the only one that I've read twice.

Yeah, it was definitely one of the things that was cut out of the original release.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Does the book have the same awful ending
where glowing hand of god just comes and stops the nuke lol?

I actually like the ending. Its a little inelegant, but the story needed a way to end the conflict without a battle and for the good side to have their faith clearly rewarded.

Porcile

My mum bought me Pet Sematary and Salem's Lot for Christmas when I was 10 as well. I guess she didn't give two fucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom