• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Witcher 3, or everything a fantasy RPG should be (Mark spoilers)

I just finished the Velen section of the Bloody Baron quest line, so spoiler tags would be appreciated

===

xq6XXyDl.jpg

My experience with RPGs began pretty recently. Fallout 3 was my first RPG, Demon's Souls was my first fantasy RPG, and Skyrim was my first open-world fantasy RPG. Which is probably why Skyrim always had a special place among games for me. The world, the lore, the freedom, the exploration and dungeons and magic, it all felt so fresh compared to other games.

But returning to it recently with the special edition, the luster had dulled. It was still a fun experience, but not the game-changer it was for me those years ago. Playing Witcher 3 for the first time (and my first Witcher game as well), Skyrim's luster drained even more. In almost every respect, The Witcher 3 is the RPG I remembered Skyrim being.

The grim medieval fantasy storytelling and atmosphere is compelling and complex. The landscapes are sprawling and vibrant, with those dense dark forests and trees swaying in the wind and the misty swamps and rolling seas. The lively settlements feel medieval: cramped and muddy and clustered around pitted dirt roads, a perfect juxtaposition to the towering majesty of the cities. Skyrim feels small and artificial in comparison. I used to think the ride up to Whiterun felt grand and impressive....

4ir7SfEl.jpg

The creatures feel dangerous, and I like the Monster Hunter-esque structure of needing to modify your weapons and gear to face different monsters. I had been worried about the combat, but surprisingly it's awesome to dodge and slash. Your magic are strategic tools in your arsenal, giving you solid advantages over your enemies, while you still need to evade and attack with confidence. You feel like a skilled swordsman, especially with the occasional dismemberments, decapitations, and finishers.

And of course the great writing and voice acting. Every main quest and side quest has been interesting, the bestiary is great, and the characters unique and memorable. Geralt, and the role of a witcher in general, is fascinating, and how he's treated in the world, among locals and otherwise, makes every conversation and quest compelling, If anything, it made me want more open world RPGs with defined characters; it's so much more engrossing than playing a create-a-character blank slate.

Currently, I'm 10 hours in and just finished the Velen section of Bloody Baron. That storyline and how it progressed caught me completely off-guard.
Everything screamed a betrayal and the Baron being some sick GOT Ramsey-esque character and some gruesome secrets going on in that fort. Tragedy and redemption was quite the twist for me

Just got Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine in the current PSN sale. can't wait to dig into those later on. Much like Bloodborne, I just want to learn more, see more, and soak in the atmosphere, characters, and world.

If I have one gripe so far, it's that the monster hunting seems confined to quests/contracts only. I guess I was expecting a more Dragon's Dogma-style world, more dynamic where you'd see towns being attacked or bigger creatures roaming freely for you to hunt. Have I not just played enough?

g7VSgI4l.jpg

witchers hunt monsters as their profession. it's how they make a living

but you don't actually need money in witcher 3, so it's not even the focus of the game

basically, witcher 3 is not a witcher simulator, but the sidequests have more to do with witcher-ing than the actual game

Complistic

There isn't another single gaming experience quite like it. The combat is dodgy but it's forgiven considering the entire package.

I'm never gonna fucking finish this game lol. I've played like 70-80 hours (hard to tell exactly since my in game clock reset once) and I'm only on what I believe is the start of the second act.

Justinh

You really have some good things to look forward to (the DLC you bought), but the base game was great too. I friggen' loved it. I got careless and [slight ending (not full-on) ending spoiler]:
let myself get spoiled with one of the endings, and I thought that's what I was getting when all of a sudden I was like "Wait a minute, this isn't that. This isn't that at all...Oh my God! YES I felt a little dumb afterwards for not seeing it coming, but I thought it was really satisfying.

If I have one gripe so far, it's that the monster hunting seems confined to quests/contracts only. I guess I was expecting a more Dragon's Dogma-style world, more dynamic where you'd see towns being attacked or bigger creatures roaming freely for you to hunt. Have I not just played enough?

I don't remember anything like this happening, but damn, that sounds like it could've been pretty cool.

I never had a problem with the combat. I thought it was much better than Witcher 2 at least, and that took me a good while for me to get a grip with.

Character names spoiler:
Cerys > Triss + Yenn

It's really not. People on here love to exaggerate ...
The complaints I had been seeing for like a year now, I was expecting that side of the game to be a letdown, but I love getting into fights. Using your signs and bombs effectively, parrying and deflecting arrows, getting in strikes and pulling off finishers

Animagne

I don't know why people are complaining about the combat. I played on death march, with melee heavy build (using basic quen or just other signs) and with level scaling later on. I personally found it more enjoyable than any of the souls games.

hydruxo

One of my all time favorite games, and I never even played the first two Witcher games. Hearts of Stone is INCREDIBLE. I absolutely loved that expansion, you're going to have a blast with both DLCs.

Rellik

10 hours in? You've barely touched the game :p You've got a long, long way to go and it's all awesome.

10 hours in? You've barely touched the game :p You've got a long, long way to go and it's all awesome.
To put it in perspective, I rarely play games for more than 20 hours. It's the rare and special game that makes me sink more time in. Bloodborne, SuperHOT, etc.

I already put in ten hours in two days. So yeah, that's a good sign.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Here's a random thing I love about Witcher 3: walking from a small village, through a forest, into the countryside, then gradually watching settlements build up as I go toward a big city like Novigrad, then walking through the gates, then being in a huge, realistic, ultra-detailed giant city packed with interesting content.

I've played plenty of games with bigger scale, but the Witcher 3 does such a damn good job with its environments that no game has sold me on that scale as well as this one. Coming up on Novigrad, I felt a taste of how a village-bound peasant must have felt coming up on medieval Paris or something.

KorrZ

The complaints I had been seeing for like a year now, I was expecting that side of the game to be a letdown, but I love getting into fights. Using your signs and bombs effectively, parrying and deflecting arrows, getting in strikes and pulling off finishers

That was my experience the first time through as well. I found combat exhilarating in the higher difficulties, and it felt great to get through fights without getting touched.

The combat complaints on this forum have basically become a meme and are pure hyperbole.

Here's a random thing I love about Witcher 3: walking from a small village, through a forest, into the countryside, then gradually watching settlements build up as I go toward a big city like Novigrad, then walking through the gates, then being in a huge, realistic, ultra-detailed giant city packed with interesting content.

I've played plenty of games with bigger scale, but the Witcher 3 does such a damn good job with its environments that no game has sold me on that scale as well as this one. Coming up on Novigrad, I felt a taste of how a village-bound peasant must have felt coming up on medieval Paris or something.
The game does this so well.

Coming off Skyrim, the equivalent of that is Riverwood to Whiterun. Riverwood is set up so orderly, and looks so clean and calm, and then Whiterun is big by comparison, but is still really small for being one of the game's "cities". It just feels like a bigger Riverwood

Here, White Orchard feels so ramshackle and plopped down in the middle of the wilderness and dirty and cramped. And then you enter a major city, and it feels massive and dense.

Aters

Haha are you me? I just finished Bloodborne and I'm going to continue my TW3 playthrough. Have to say the gameplay is really not my thing, and it's not just combat. Witcher's sense sucks too.

Splinter

Witcher 3 is the first game I played this year after months of not touching a game, and it basically reignited my enjoyment of gaming. I became obsessed with that game. The combat isn't the best, but it's not terrible like some on GAF claim. Sure the combat is not as good as Dark Souls/Bloodborne, but it's good enough not to take any enjoyment out of the game for me. The Witcher 3 is the most immersive game I have played in years, probably ever. I actively seek out new items, weapons, armor, etc. Although I do think it would be better if the enemies were more difficult, and the combat improved enough to where finding each item, weapon, and piece of armor felt like a bigger achievement. In Bloodborne/souls it felt more rewarding to find new items because I desperately needed them to progress in the game and defeat enemies, in the Witcher 3 they don't feel as vital or necessary. For me The Witcher 3 would be perfect if it had the combat and near difficulty of Bloodborne/Souls games. Knowing that I had to use certain alchemy potions and improved weapons to defeat enemies and progress would've added to the immersion for me. After I hit level 10 in Witcher 3 I felt the game became too easy, the sense of accomplishment after defeating an enemy went down.

Overall I think the gameplay, graphics, writing, story, and size of he game is fantastic. I am now a huge fan. Top 5 game for me atm.

Haha are you me? I just finished Bloodborne and I'm going to continue my TW3 playthrough. Have to say the gameplay is really not my thing, and it's not just combat. Witcher's sense sucks too.
I usually dislike vision modes in games, but I think witcher sense works here. Mainly since it's for pointing out details that would be near impossible to notice in the forests and dirt or highlighting bushes or whatnot. It's a means of assistance rather than a crutch.

To the people expecting Dark Souls combat in Witcher, get a load of this:

Play Dark Souls instead.
This is just a theory I have, but I suspect that complaints about combat in Witcher 3 are actually more about pacing, even if some people don't realise it. I came from Dragon's Dogma to the Witcher 3, but even if the combat in W3 isn't as good as DD (no surprise, given that DD was made by the DMC team) I had no issues adjusting. But I think going Souls game to W3 would be way more jarring in terms of pacing. Those two games operate at very different tempos.

If you haven't seen much (or anything) of W3 prior to playing it and were expecting Souls pacing, you'd be in for a very rude shock. I can see how that might turn into blaming the combat system, since from a Souls game perspective, the combat system is the game.

Enjoy the fucking ride. The DLC's are great as well, you got hours and hours of fantastic content in front of you.

One of my favorite games of all time.

BumRush

I think it's the only game I've ever played where I genuinely disliked the gameplay but consider it one of the the best games ever made. Put in ~100 hours and will buy anything CDPR makes.

Just finished the 2nd expansion a month ago.

Hands down the best RPG and one of the best game I have played. The sheer amount of memorable moment is staggering.
I felt kind sad when Geralt looked at the camera and nodded to the player. I knew the journey has finally come to an end and there won't be experience quite like this any time soon. I am looking forward to replay the game for Yennefer ending once I get a better PC.

The game does this so well.

Coming off Skyrim, the equivalent of that is Riverwood to Whiterun. Riverwood is set up so orderly, and looks so clean and calm, and then Whiterun is big by comparison, but is still really small for being one of the game's "cities". It just feels like a bigger Riverwood

Here, White Orchard feels so ramshackle and plopped down in the middle of the wilderness and dirty and cramped. And then you enter a major city, and it feels massive and dense.

Yup, Witcher 3 does scale extremely well. Exploring the countryside, the transitions between different biomes feels very natural. Novigrad feels like a believably large and diverse city, with different districts and different levels of affluence in those districts. Whiterun and its ~20 residents feels a bit silly now in comparison, though of course that game excelled at world design in other ways.

Aters

I usually dislike vision modes in games, but I think witcher sense works here. Mainly since it's for pointing out details that would be near impossible to notice in the forests and dirt or highlighting bushes or whatnot. It's a means of assistance rather than a crutch.

When I started the first side quest in the game, I thought I need to talk to the villagers, gather some evidence and do some real detective work to find out the bad guy. Nope, just use Witcher's sense. I hope the next game CDPR makes is a visual novel because TW3 is fun to read, not fun to play.

RedSwirl

In terms of the look and scale of the world, Witcher 3 really is the next-gen leap over Skyrim. Its world isn't quite as systems-driven as Elder Scrolls and it isn't even trying to do the same things in that regard -- Witcher 3 is more of a collection of a bunch of stories than a systemic world, but the world it offers as a backdrop does make Skyrim feel small and artificial to me.

Playing Witcher 3 makes me wish I could play a medieval RPG that took a more sandbox approach to its level of scale and its visual presentation. Currently the only two games I see even suggesting this are Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord. Maybe Red Dead 2 will step up, despite not being medieval.

Ultimadrago

I just finished the Velen section of the Bloody Baron quest line, so spoiler tags would be appreciated...

To answer your gripe OP, special monster hunts do stay like this. The contracts/sidequests give for a number of amusing contextual ribbons leading to the slaying (or other method) of dealing with the beasts. However, in turn, they end up hogging all of the special encounters.

I can't say it bothered me, but I do certainly see where you're coming from. There's something very natural about finding similar events through happenstance without knowing what you're in for or an idea of what's lurking around particular regions in the land.

Daeoc

I believe I'm on the final part of the Bloody Baron and I'm around ~25 hours. Great game so far, haven't really even gotten through much of the game(I have the expansions also) and I've already spent a good amount of time playing it. Coming from playing through Witcher 1 and then 2, these developers make sequels that really deserve to be called sequels.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I personally hope not all fantasy RPG follows or "should be" like Witcher 3 because it was one of the most boring game ever for me and one of my biggest full price regrets.

When I started the first side quest in the game, I thought I need to talk to the villagers, gather some evidence and do some real detective work to find out the bad guy. Nope, just use Witcher's sense. I hope the next game CDPR makes is a visual novel because TW3 is fun to read, not fun to play.
True, but I felt it worked in-universe. Why would a witcher bother with lies and unreliable witnesses when you can see footprints and track blood stains straight to the culprit?

Jimrpg

People keep saying this. Why is it bad?

They are probably Dark Souls fans.

I don't think the combat is the worst problem, the problem I have with the game is that the first half of the game is supremely polished from story to characters. The combat is also decent and not broken.

The second half is tedious, with tons of quests where you go from point A to B, investigate a trail, kill something, exposition. Basically everything from Skellige onwards. Even Novigrad gets extremely bogged down with repetitiveness.

The first half of The Witcher 3 is one of the greatest games of all time.

Ralemont

not me
True, but I felt it worked in-universe. Why would a witcher bother with lies and unreliable witnesses when you can see footprints and track blood stains straight to the culprit?

They probably could have designed fewer quests that had such simple solutions, then. It makes sense when you're hunting monsters but the game uses it for anything and everything. No quest design variety.

Top Bottom