• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Witcher 3

Budi

Since this is a Witcher 3 thread, how is the Xbox One version?

I got it from a sale a while ago. The thing is that last week I got my PS4 back, and I was thinking that maybe I should go for that version instead.

I don't think there's really a difference if you can't play on PC, so just go with what version you have. Great game on any platform.

Raven117

Sure. I will gush one more time.

This game is in my top 5 games of all time. Just...wow.

I waited a year to play the first DLC, and another year to play the second so I could just savor it.

I just started Blood & Wine over the weekend.

I've barely touched the surface of it and Mother of god its glorious

And yeah this is one of the GOAT.

I think its become my favorite game this gen so far.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
I don't think it's an exaggeration to describe it as the greatest achievement in the medium to date, particularly the GOTY Edition. It's not without flaws, but it's hard to imagine a project that ambitious ever nailing everything.

Kumquat

A true masterpiece. I'm sitting here trying to think of the best moments, and there really are too many to count. It has so many engrossing story arcs and quests. The writing is the best ever in a video game. The characters and their relationships are top notch. It might be the only game to ever make me cry, and it happened more than once. Tears of joy and sadness. I got the worst ending on my first play through, and it crushed me. After a few days of rest, I jumped back in, and got the good ending. This game and the DLC was one of the most rewarding gaming experiences of my life.

This game smashed me emotionally, especially in the end. I got the good ending but the way it makes you think you failed gutted me at first. I remember thinking Ciri had died and I just paused with immense regret thinking I had messed it up somehow. I was then so relieved to realize the game had been playing me.

Peroroncino

One of the best quests in the game. Perfect 'calm before the storm' moment.

I laughed my ass off during that quest. Moments like these go a long way in cementing characters to our memories, also it's a nice change of pace from constant pursuit of the next objective, I wish more games did this instead of sticking to action from beginning to end.

Fou-Lu

I don't think it's an exaggeration to describe it as the greatest achievement in the medium to date, particularly the GOTY Edition. It's not without flaws, but it's hard to imagine a project that ambitious ever nailing everything.

I love The Witcher 3, but greatest achievement in the medium definitely reads like an exaggeration to me. The greatest achievement in the video game medium would need better gameplay than TW3 has in my opinion.

TheYanger

Yeahhh... I dunno.

The main game is one of my favorite games of all time. I couldn't finish Blood and Wine.

It's really well done and all, but I couldn't connect with anything in the main quest. I think it's the lack of an emotional, urgent and weighty story. I also didn't love Toussaint. I prefer the heavier atmosphere of the main game.

I know I'm in the minority though. Most people really loved the expansions.

How far into B&W did you get? Spoilers for OP, not necessarily for you
Touissant gets PRETTY fucking dark about halfway through B&W as well.
It has a very fantasy fun exterior but there's some shit going on there too, and especially if you don't do the fairytale land split when it splits paths it stays very dark. I recommend doing the fairytale one though because it's fucking awesome.

Budi

I love The Witcher 3, but greatest achievement in the medium definitely reads like an exaggeration to me. The greatest achievement in the video game medium would need better gameplay than TW3 has in my opinion.

I think it does nonlinear gameplay quite well. Not as well as Fallout New Vegas for example (not many do tbf) , but still very good.

A.Romero

I really love the game. Probably one of my top 3 and definitely the best game I've played this generation (sorry Kojima san).

It has enjoyable characters, nice story, awesome graphics, different ways to approach things...

I think something that has hurt the perception of this game is that there is a group of very vocal gamers that criticize the gameplay, very often arguing that its not like a souls game. I mean, it's definitely not deep sword fighting but it's definitely entertaining and I think it goes well with the game.

It's the game I've played the longest since I started tracking in Steam (at least since 2004 or 2005) with over 150 hours including both expansions and never really got tired. The only thing that annoyed me was inventory management but I still refused to install a mod for that.

Top Bottom