• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Uncharted 4 - Yeah, this is the one

Prologue

Slow burn.

I really didn't like the way they sent us from place to place, expecting to find the treasure there but to find out it wasn't. It actually got really annoying and I don't remember the other games being like that.

Hey a positive Uncharted 4 thread... dope.

I still hate characters telling me what to do if I don't figure it out myself in 30 seconds though.

Haha definitely annoying. I'll figure out what to do with the winch Sully, back off!

Probably my favorite of the year so far. Great love letter and send off to the series.

One of the most visually impressive moments for me was Sam using the lighter to light the underground wine cellar in Italy. The amber lighting coming off the barrels did so much for me (more than it probably should have).

MadYarpen

Quick question - I've never played any uncharted game.
Should I buy nathan's drake collection before playing this one?

Seems the typical gaf backlash is starting to set in. Won't be long before we hear people saying "it's a piece of shit trash that shouldn't exist"
It shouldn't!
fuck all these fuckers killing me easily while hip firing in MP

Yea for UC2 (train) sans ice level and UC3

hbkdx12

Slow burn.

I really didn't like the way they sent us from place to place, expecting to find the treasure there but to find out it wasn't. It actually got really annoying and I don't remember the other games being like that.

2, 3 and 4 all have the same overarching structure.

You get shuffled from locale to locale narrowly staying one step ahead of the villain and everytime you solve a puzzle or find a clue that nate thinks will get him the treasure, he's off scurrying to a new locale only to be greated with more puzzles and clues. Then at some point he gets caught by the villain, this allows the villains to basically thank nate for doing all the hard work now that they know exactly where they need to be going, Then the final act is nate playing catch up trying to cut the villian off at the pass before they do whatever heinous thing they plan to do.

Ratrat

I can never play a game without getting disconnected. 4/10 would not recommend.

Its really my most regretted purchase of the year.

Uncharted 4 is my favourite in the series, but it's not the best and has glaring flaws.

Large open environments with nothing in them, long stretches of barely interactive climbing and sluggish pacing throughout.

Seriously, whoever thought it was a good idea to have four time skips in the first four chapters should be shot.

I admire Naughty Dog for having the confidence to tell their story the way they want to tell it, but their lust for cinematic storytelling comes at a cost.

I've replayed the game twice and hopped into countless chapters since I've completed it, and what becomes clear is, without the hook of the story and characters, there's very little game there.

The gunplay is great - much better than previous entries - and I love the character moments and conclusion to Nate's adventure.

In terms of animation, it's unrivalled.

But the game has large flaws that shouldn't be swept under the carpet.

Uncharted 2 has far superior pacing and better combat encounters (hand-crafted scenarios where you are forced to use certain weapons vs sandbox battles with little to no variation).

I think pretty much the same about Uncharted 4 and the first three games. Best Uncharted by far to me. This and The Last of Us are masterpieces and deserve by themselves all the fame of Naughty Dog.

Upinsmoke

I really enjoyed it, one of the best games I've played in years, I just have no desire to ever play it again, I'm not sure why.

It's insultingly boring and far too cinematic for its own good a lot of the time. And the final boss battle is complete balls.

All I'll say is that with UC4, ND are lucky everyone else still pales in comparison when it comes to charming the pants off the player, because that shit works.

For what it's worth, I think TLoU is nearly as good as it gets when it comes to gameplay.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I'm kind of the same, op. Played some of Uncharted 1, didn't like it, ignored the 2nd and 3rd titles.

Loved The Last of Us.

Unabashedly, unashamedly adored A Thief's End.

I honestly think it is one of the best games I ever played. A truly special experience. Every aspect was top-tier, imo. The story, characters, voice-acting, production design, pacing, music, action, exploring, puzzles, set-pieces, etc etc...just brilliant across the board.

It was near flawless in my opinion. I enjoyed it so much, I kind of want to get the original trilogy and give it another chance now.

I really enjoyed it, one of the best games I've played in years, I just have no desire to ever play it again, I'm not sure why.
I felt like that too. I think its because I didnt want to go through the many slower sections again. I really enjoyed them but its a lot to sit through again. One cool thing about the replay value is you can choose the Chapter you want to play or you can choose specific encounters/fights. Turning on some of the mutators like the slow motion and replaying the encounters is a fun enough reason to put it on again. I forced myself to turn it on again but I'm glad I did. Lots of different ways to tackle a lot of the fights in that game. Some of them were a lot more fun my second or third time through.

Spiders

I'm very conflicted about UC4. I really liked it during my first playthrough, but on my second playthrough the flaws become very apparant, and most of the time it almost feels like a chore.

The combat is the best in the series by far, and some of the encounters (especially
the one in the ship graveyard
later in the game) are fantastic. The rope is a great addition, and the game looks absolutely incredible.

The rest just isn't that great. Pacing is just awful, with short (but great) combat sequences followed by climbing sections that are way to long. They finally give us more open environments, but they are mostly empty.

The characters are a mixed bag as well. Sully and Elena are great, but Sam is just awful. Rafe is a pretty good villain, but Nadine just ends up being a whole lot of nothing.

The story was mostly good, but I hated the way they handled Sam.

Mid/end game spoilers:
Sam had been working with Rafe for 2 years after Rafe got him out of prison, and nevered bothered to contact Nate. Then he betrays Rafe (which doesn't make a lot of sense) and lies to Nate to get him to risk his life for him. That's a real dick move, and they completely skip over it and everyone get's a happy end.

All in all I don't think it comes close to Uncharted 2, and I'm not even sure I like it better than Uncharted 3. Although UC3 had a lot of flaws, it also had a lot more memorable moments, and more interesting locations.

I also liked Quantum Break more than UC4.

Really believe once the graphics look dated, nobody will care about this one. The gameplay in 2 felt much more fun and better paced.

Shaanyboi

Banned

I mean you could, but there isn't much of an arc that requires it.

Nathan's a treasure hunter/thrill-seeker, Sully is his partner/older brother figure, Elena was a reporter who sorta fell into the wacky hijinks Nate gets caught up in and the two eventually fell in love.... The three of them have come across alot of ancient shit that power hungry assholes want that could be perceived as supernatural, but always ends up not being the case. That's about all you need to know.

It's really not hard to figure out the dynamics. Beyond that, U4 has a bit of a slower first third because it tries to build up the notion that Drake has settled down by this point.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
DerZuhälter;209670025 said:
Really believe once the graphics look dated, nobody will care about this one...

Not looking to start an argument, but that's honestly quite an insulting way to dismiss the many people (like myself) who feel this is a special game.

It takes a whole lot more than some shiny graphics to win me over. Believe me.

thenexus6

While I was playing I was blown away, then for some reason as soon as I finished it just never really thought about it again.

Not a game I will replay probably due to its pacing and alot of walking and talking sequences.

I played the multiplayer a little then stopped because it wasn't holding my attention. Two of my friends just got the game so i've been playing it alot more, but I still don't think its that good.

Mid/end game spoilers:
Sam had been working with Rafe for 2 years after Rafe got him out of prison, and nevered bothered to contact Nate. Then he betrays Rafe (which doesn't make a lot of sense) and lies to Nate to get him to risk his life for him. That's a real dick move, and they completely skip over it and everyone get's a happy end.

The ending of this game feels like it was rewritten or something near the game's completion.
I was expecting some kind of showdown or some legitimate tension between the brothers, but that never comes.

Raiden

Banned
Its easily the best one for me. Amazing characters that felt so genuine and real. The graphics are out of this world.

Not looking to start an argument, but that's honestly quite an insulting way to dismiss the many people (like myself) who feel this is a special game.

It takes a whole lot more than some shiny graphics to win me over. Believe me.

I definitely don't think it will be remembered as fondly as Uncharted 2.

And I'd argue you'll hear more about Uncharted 3 in the future simply because it's a divisive game that some love and some hate.

Uncharted 4 is a great but flawed game which, in my opinion, stretched its shallow mechanics to breaking point and left some fans cold.

It stands as a testament to Naughty Dog's craftsmanship but also highlights the series' weaknesses.

Again, Uncharted 4 is my favourite, but I do think a game that is for many a, 'one and done' kind of experience, will struggle to last long in the minds of a lot of gamers.

I come across as negative in every Uncharted 4 thread lol even though I'm one of the game's biggest champions.

I reckon it'll probably stay the highest rated game of the year and scoop a fair few awards.

Servbot24

Banned
It's obviously a great game, and you can't deny the unreal production value the game has, but it also has some really bad pacing in spots. Doesn't really make multiple playthroughs that much fun.

The opening several chapters have incredible pacing. Gamers just aren't used to pacing that has meaning yet. In 10 years people will look back and realize how great it was.

Now the second half is where the pacing starts to flounder a little bit.

Seems the typical gaf backlash is starting to set in. Won't be long before we hear people saying "it's a piece of shit trash that shouldn't exist"

I haven't been paying attention, but I really hope this isn't true. Uncharted 4 is a genuinely great game. Looking through the thread I do see I lot of "This isn't what the other games were, so it's bad" fallacies.

I don't know how to feel about it, I like it but I'm not loving it, I enjoyed the time with it but I don't need to play it once more, it doesn't feel like an Uncharted game too, it's very strange...

The game is gorgeous visually, a real master piece in art/animation/details and the gameplay is really top notch but the pacing of the game, the story itself and the lack of set piece just hurt too much, a solid 8/10 though.

I think it's time to let it go and work on other franchise.

I didn't really knew how to phrase things so I'll adjust a few points but globally I have the same feeling as you, good game but time to go on another franchise (with more complex gameplay please).

- enjoyed it but didn't loved it
- pace is shit and many times I was about to say... "again this,again the same things to do over and over"
- story is ok but it's not like it was awesome
- boom boom shot shot for treasure hunting in 3rd world countries gets boring really fast (chase with truck was too much... like a Mickael Bay Indiana Jones !)
- graphics and animations are really impressive
- gameplay is simple as f*ck and so are puzzles (even if driving was a nice thing)
- some parts (when in a big crowd, when going faster than the game wants you to, when diying jumping like 3 meters down but it's not the way you have to go...) are breaking the immersion

I'd give it a 7 (better than 3rd and tie with 1st but less good than 2nd) because it is a good game but it's not the best ND can make (regarding my gameplay tastes). They are very very talented and I'm certain they can let the graphics a little aside to focus on mechanics, level design or other interesting things.

Can't wait for their next game.

Great write up. Mostly agree with it, but it's not my favourite Uncharted. (Not sure how it sits in the rankings yet). Also, if you want, read this thread if you want a better format since I just finished writing the LTTP last week.

It has the best gameplay, graphics (obviously), story, and best encounter design, but as an overall Unharted wall-to-wall action experience, it falters slightly in my eyes.

Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of it is deliberate to build up the relationship with Sam, and is slow as it is the final Uncharted game and Nate's last journey, but I felt combat is few and far between, which is an even bigger shame in this game since it's one of the best controlling third person shooters I have played in recent years. The mechanics, visceral combat and smoothness of everything (thanks to top notch animations and hit reaction) was just so satisfying to play with.

There was just too much down time influence from TLoU after a 'big moment' and felt it didn't really work at all times in UC4 (as it is an Uncharted game first and foremost) but clearly worked well with TLoU for obvious reasons.

I felt it needed more Uncharted moments and less walking around, boosting people up, getting crates etc and more combat encounters and also more optional conversations, as well as more rewarding exploration.

Overall, a 9.5/10 masterpiece, with Naughty Dog's unmatched animation, presentation, writing, character interactions and quips, and stellar graphics (best in the business at some parts of the game), and satisfying gameplay, but let down by too many walking/climbing/crate fetching 'down-time' parts that over stay their welcome, and a game doesn't make use of its fantastic gameplay - with a noticeable lack in enemy and gun variety.

Oh yeah, and a really inchoherent, poorly paced intro with a poor 'set-piece' (if you would even call it that) which begins in media res just to notify casuals that 'don't worry the action is coming' in the least impressive and interactive way possible.

The opening several chapters have incredible pacing. Gamers just aren't used to pacing that has meaning yet. In 10 years people will look back and realize how great it was.

I just couldn't disagree more.

You start the game in a boat chase sequence ripped from halfway through the game, before being pulled back in time to Nate's upbringing in an orphanage.

The next chapter sees another time skip to Nate's time in prison with Sam, before, again, jumping ahead in time (but not as far forward as the first sequence) to when Nate's trying to live a normal life.

It's messy and clunky. It worked in Uncharted 2 because you're constantly coming back to the same sequence - namely the fallout of the train crash - but it's an absolute mess in Uncharted 4.

I just couldn't disagree more.

You start the game in a boat chase sequence ripped from halfway through the game, before being pulled back in time to Nate's upbringing in an orphanage.

The next chapter sees another time skip to Nate's time in prison with Sam, before, again, jumping ahead in time (but not as far forward as the first sequence) to when Nate's trying to live a normal life.

It's messy and clunky. It worked in Uncharted 2 because you're constantly coming back to the same sequence - namely the fallout of the train crash - but it's an absolute mess in Uncharted 4.

Agreed. It's very incoherent and not well done, nor is the boat sequence even impressive at all. Uncharted 2's was so much better done. This was just a poor mans attempt at trying to replicate it. Even Uncharted 3 had a more impressive and put together intro. In fact, I'd say Uncharted 3 had the best cinematics (seen in the bar intro) of any game I have ever seen or played. Top quality stuff.

Here is what I wrote in my LTTP thread:
I also feel the very starting boat sequence was quite underwhelming and didn't do much in terms of gameplay OR story telling - in media res techniques only work if they're executed well e.g. Uncharted 2 IMO, but here, it just felt like they were trying to make you feel surprised at Nate's boat capsizing by pressing forward on the stick to move a boat to hit other boats, one shootout sequence, and then BAM, you're gone. It didn't create any "oh shit" moments like Uncharted 2 (which tbf, can't really be topped) and was very limited in terms of player interactivity or aesthetic value (like the Nepal mountains). It honestly looked pretty underwhelming underwater too (not the dedicated underwater salvage chapter mind you, I mean the underwater part at the VERY start during the storm).

klier

It's obviously a great game, and you can't deny the unreal production value the game has, but it also has some really bad pacing in spots. Doesn't really make multiple playthroughs that much fun.

It's not great. It's mediocre in almost all aspects except the graphics.

Completed the game once on hard, and deleted it right after than, to never touch it again. Bye bye.

It's not great. It's mediocre in almost all aspects except the graphics.

Completed the game once on hard, and deleted it right after than, to never touch it again. Bye bye.

Nope and even a rational person who would dislike the game cannon deny that the presentation, writing, characters (and their interactions) and animations are certainly above mediocre. That's a reactionary statement if I ever saw one.

I'd also argue gunplay is nothing short of great, and gameplay was fun, BUT, it was just too few and far between and never was utilised effectively, with too much downtime and walking around/pushing crates/boosting people up parts that over stayed their welcome.

Already LTTP for UC4?

:O

Yep. Game has been out for two months and the thread moved to the community section last month -- which is about the time people can start making LTTP threads (around 20th June IIRC).
I know beause I was the first to make a LTTP thread for the game :p

Haha,it's kind of sad that I immediately understood what you meant. Gaf, I love you, but I've come to realise that my preference in gaming is almost opposite to most people in here. (At least the most vocal users). But that's OK.

I completely agree that UC4 is the best in the series, there's really no competition. The story felt way more real, the gameplay was a lot better and I actually really liked the pacing and how they took their time to re-establish the characters with the slow start. I think this was fully intended by Naughty Dog, and IMO not bad pacing. (Although the game had a short down period for me around chapter 16-17)

Also, I will definitely be replaying this game . And I've only replayed two games my entire life. (ME2 and Zelda OoT)

I'm currently on my second playthrough on crushing and i'd say it's the best Uncharted ND have made, with UC2 juuust behind.

The character development is great with good payoffs for long time series fans like me! (Yes I'm one of those boring people who like the downtime parts for story)
Also love seeing all the classic ND little details on a second run.

The combat encounters are also the best in the series with the Libertalia crumbling city fights being awesome for stealth or balls out action-rope swing gunplay.
Of course special shout to that Madagascar set piece, that's incredible to play (although I really wish ND would stop spoiling us with stuff like this in trailers).

All in all it's my definite front runner for GoTY right now.
Fantastic game.

Well this was always going to happen after UC2 blew everything out the water.
UC3 and UC4 will always have people calling those games pieces of trash because tbf you can't please everyone after that point+TLoU.

Though trash is very harsh word for any of them imo.

Slow burn.

I felt this too, and I think it was an intended effect from the developers. (Vague plot spoilers ahead)

The developers are underlining with gameplay how futile, pointless and dangerous this endless treasure hunting is. This is a large part of the narrative , but is also cleverly conveyed through gameplay with all the near deaths of the characters and so many "the princess is in another castle" twists. They basically want us to ask the question, is it all worth it ?

keuja

I have no issue about the pacing. I loved exploring around and seeing Drake everyday's life. I didn't dig the combat though, it felt less frantic than in UC2, plus I hated the bullet sponge ennemies and the lack of variety. And the automatic climbing sections become a bit tedious... I still loved the game (and the ending) but have no urge to replay it, unlike UC2 for example.

I liked how they tweaked some of the series gameplay staples too. For once some of the puzzles required me to actually think so that was good.

i must've played a different game then, the "puzzles" are basically this:
puzzle.jpg

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
For me, the way ND handled the pacing of the story and action was one of the best things about the game.

They were happy to let us spend good time with the characters in quieter scenes and settings, confident in the knowledge that they were crafting some genuinely enjoyable gunfights and set-pieces that would both satisfy the need for some exciting action adventure (since that is the genre they were working in) and just be plain old, flat-out great fun for people to play through.

It's a tricky balancing act for any story teller, and whether they pulled it off or not is obviously subjective. I'd say they succeeded admirably. I've already wrote about how I felt like the game was too short, but ultimately still felt satisfying. That tells me the pacing was spot-on. None of the quieter moments felt like a drag to me, and the big action set-pieces never felt repetitive, like "this is too much". The balance felt perfect.

And if there was an end of year award for Best Gameplay Sequence, I would nominate King's Bay, Madagascar. That whole sequence just blew me away and (again, I'm repeating myself here) had me grinning from ear to ear while playing, from the sheer fun of it. A big, stand-out set-piece like that, which builds up and has it's own well paced structure within the larger whole of the story in which it takes place, is a genuinely special achievement and something which, imo, should be applauded.

I don't know how to feel about it, I like it but I'm not loving it, I enjoyed the time with it but I don't need to play it once more, it doesn't feel like an Uncharted game too, it's very strange...

The game is gorgeous visually, a real master piece in art/animation/details and the gameplay is really top notch but the pacing of the game, the story itself and the lack of set piece just hurt too much, a solid 8/10 though.

I think it's time to let it go and work on other franchise.

Pretty much how I played, finished it just last week. The character models, interactions and dialogue are unmatched. As is the story telling in the way that they deliver it. Particularly the Epilogue and 'game' sections. Trouble is that there's just not enough of that charm in between. Many of Nate's quip's are that of a disgruntled, jaded older bloke than what we've seen before. That may well be the direction they wanted to go given it's the last chapter but I don't know.. I needed more.

The climbing got old real fast, particularly when the last ledge would break off every so often. I didn't even think the environments looked all that great outside of Madagascar and the Caribbean levels.

I actually really disliked it for reasons I have stated before many times. (pacing, lack of exploration, too much climbing, not many set-pieces, forgettable story)

I wonder if the game will be remembered like Bioshock Infinite, praised by critics and arriving with massive hype, but will end up being regarded as highly flawed by a large amount of gaming audience?

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
...I wonder if the game will be remembered like Infinity, praised by critics and arriving with massive hype, but will end up being regarded as highly flawed by a large amount of gaming audience?

Do you mean Infinite, as in Bioshock?

I don't see Uncharted getting the same retrospective treatment, simply because with it we weren't promised one thing during a massive hype campaign, only to be given something...less, if you know what I mean (not shitting on Infinite, it's good, but promises were definitely made that the game didn't even try and live up to).

Uncharted's hype doesn't promise something the game will not deliver, basically.

Elandyll

Banned
Started playing only recently, and even though I found the game really slow to get going, I am now completely enthralled.

And once I got to
Malaysia
, while the game was already gorgeous before, it suddenly became like the screen was trying to imagually assault my eyes with every corner turned, and they loved it.

I am now in the caves
below Avery's Mansion, just having found his boat at the end of it
and I'm probably near the end, but what a ride.

There maybe less "set pieces" than UC2, but what few there are pack a good punch and the overall exploration, story, animation and combat (wish there was a bit more, but maybe they listened when people were compllaining that UC shouldn't be a "murder simulator"?) put it on another level imo.

Truly a Next Gen Uncharted for me.

Well good to hear,
I haven't disliked the previous games but also haven't been blown away by anything but the productionvalues really. Just feels too safe and bland imo. TLOU as well, decent game, very safe, very generic.. (too much walking and talking all the time..!).
I just played INSIDE the other day, Naughty Dog could learn a thing or two from that game :)

Do you mean Infinite, as in Bioshock?

I don't see Uncharted getting the same retrospective treatment, simply because with it we weren't promised one thing during a massive hype campaign, only to be given something...less, if you know what I mean (not shitting on Infinite, it's good, but promises were definitely made that the game didn't even try and live up to).

Uncharted's hype doesn't promise something the game will not deliver, basically.

Yes, I did mean Infinite, it was a typo, thanks for pointing it out.

I slightly disagree with the Uncharted hype not promising something we didn't get. The two sections they kept showing were Magacascar combat encounter and the set-piece with the jeep. This to me gave the impression of an Uncharted game like the others, but even better combat and set-pieces thrown at the players constantly.

But of course in UC4 there are barely any set-pieces and the jeep chase was by far the best and longest one. And there is far less combat, and far less encounters still that really take advantage of the improved mechanics. In fact, the best encounter is again the one they kept showcasing. So I was really let down.

Not exactly late to the party but it's a better time to judge the games quality without the hype and hyperbole flying around. It's a fantastic game however there are parts that just aren't designed well. Not once did I enjoy pushing a box on wheels, waiting to boost up an ally or constantly sliding down a slope. The level design lacks so much context which is a shame because it's such a detailed world. Also why do so many ancient caves and tombs have beams to hook your rope across? I actually love the rope mechanic but it could have been way more subtle. The game is ridden with pacing issues too, I tried to revisit some combat heavy chapters to get a couple of trophies only to find my choices were extremely slim. It's more of a walking and solving light puzzles kind of game than a fast paced action adventure. Not a bad thing but it really isn't paced well. Combat is also very artificial with long grass signalling an upcoming event, wish it was more dynamic.

gadwn

It's the best in the series, but not my favorite tbh if that makes any sense. I miss the pacing (I wan't more action) and set pieces from 2 and 3. I also wish there were a smaller scaled MP mode and co-op from day one. Still easily one of the best games I have played though, UC2, UC3 and TLOU are pretty much my top three ever so being so close behind them ain't bad at all.

Not exactly late to the party but it's a better time to judge the games quality without the hype and hyperbole flying around. It's a fantastic game however there are parts that just aren't designed well. Not once did I enjoy pushing a box on wheels, waiting to boost up an ally or constantly sliding down a slope. The level design lacks so much context which is a shame because it's such a detailed world. Also why do so many ancient caves and tombs have beams to hook your rope across? I actually love the rope mechanic but it could have been way more subtle. The game is ridden with pacing issues too, I tried to revisit some combat heavy chapters to get a couple of trophies only to find my choices were extremely slim. It's more of a walking and solving light puzzles kind of game than a fast paced action adventure. Not a bad thing but it really isn't paced well. Combat is also very artificial with long grass signalling an upcoming event, wish it was more dynamic.

Completely agreed. And the weird thing is, I see a lot of potential with the new mechanics. Especially with the combat. But it is utilized properly so damn rarely! That one section in Madagascar is far better than any of the encounters before or after. And they clearly knew it was the best one since they kept showing it. So why on earth not use similar design elsewhere?

I just don't get it.

Top Bottom