• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Uncharted 4 - Yeah, this is the one

iratA

The game itself and the narrative left me pretty underwhelmed but honestly I don't think it matters much because this game is kinda going for different things than what a lot of people want out of it.

I think it's fucking incredible that ND is given enough free reign and budget to sink into a game that focuses on as much of the mood/narrative that it does. No one else makes high budget character-focused pieces like this, it's a dying breed of game in a world of AAA focus-tested grime.

I may not have felt satisfied by the game but it represents such a major middle finger towards what most big budget games are. That's where it achieves legendary status for me, this is something that should be celebrated.

I loved the game and unlike yourself, felt more than satisfied by it. However I agree with your comments (bolded) this type of game needs to exist. Its the kind of game that I have shown to many 'non-gamer' types and shows them the power of the medium. It has quite literally brought these people into gaming. ND and the Uncharted series rightfully deserve their place as leaders in this industry. Upon finishing Uncharted 4 all I could think of was 'how the hell will they top this' but you know what, they've continuously topped their previous efforts in the past and we all know they'll do it again.

I agree that a game doesn't have to be replayable, just pointing out that I had an urge to replay the first 3 multiple times, but I haven't had an urge to replay this one yet I still thought the game was great though.

Oh yeah same. UC2 is a game I can replay almost at will. I have a hard time deciding which is better between UC4 to UC2. Which is a good sign. Both are different but have their strengths.

But that's just my approach to how I enjoy video games, this Industries growth is beyond what it started off like decades ago, the journey has given birth to developers who I respect for giving me a interactive story to be invested in. I hope naughty dog and developers like them keep pushing this industry in that direction, because without them, the state of the video games would just be something I might care about, but with them it's something I love.
It's really hard to find experiences like that in gaming.
Uncharted 4 = Uncharted 2 > Uncharted 3 >> Uncharted 1
I loved the game and unlike yourself, felt more than satisfied by it.

UC4 defense post shield wall is too strong. Looks like a Game of the Year Edition box :] But I feel the same way.

I hope Naughty Dog doesn't "learn" anything here because the fans are flat out wrong about a lot of the common points that are made. I am so happy to have a big budget studio that allows its stories to slow cook and tenderize - so few other AAA studios would be that daring. It's refreshing, it reenforces the theme of the story. The first several chapters... immaculate. Naughty Dog are too good for their fans.

The gameplay could be better though. Still pretty good all around.

A lot of AAA studios allow their stories to "slow cook and tenderize." Let's not praise Naughty Dog for something they never invented. You back through gaming history and you can look at games like Silent Hill 2, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid 3, Assassin's Creed 2, Grand Theft Auto IV, Ocarina of Time, Half-Life 2, almost every RPG ever, etc. You probably wouldn't think to call these games slow, but they totally are. They take quite awhile before things actually kick off, and the action never gets truly intense until near the end.

There is nothing wrong with slow games. Uncharted 4 is just bad at being slow. Heck, Naughty Dog's last game, The Last of Us, is a slow ass game, but it's still far more interesting and better paced than Uncharted 4.

Congratuations Naughty Dog, you managed to craft a better story than the last three Uncharted games. Too bad the actual adventure bored me to the point of not caring at all. Having a well-developed story doesn't mean anything if it's not interesting to watch/play.

cantona222

I beat the game recently and I enjoyed it. However, ironically the gameplay is its weak point.
-Climbing: There was no challenge. only to move the analog stick and tab X repeatedly (which is about 80% of the gameply).
-Shooting: It was ok.

I mostly enjoyed the Story and the graphics.

I hope Naughty Dog doesn't "learn" anything here because the fans are flat out wrong about a lot of the common points that are made. I am so happy to have a big budget studio that allows its stories to slow cook and tenderize - so few other AAA studios would be that daring. It's refreshing, it reenforces the theme of the story. The first several chapters... immaculate. Naughty Dog are too good for their fans.

My response from earlier on in the thread to your original claims.

You start the game in a boat chase sequence ripped from halfway through the game, before being pulled back in time to Nate's upbringing in an orphanage.

The next chapter sees another time skip to Nate's time in prison with Sam, before, again, jumping ahead in time (but not as far forward as the first sequence) to when Nate's trying to live a normal life.

It's messy and clunky. It worked in Uncharted 2 because you're constantly coming back to the same sequence - namely the fallout of the train crash - but it's an absolute mess in Uncharted 4.

You're not demonstrating any critical thinking.

To be frank, your assertion that the opening chapters are 'immaculate' is nonsense - but maybe I wouldn't feel that way if you explained to me why you think that way?

I love Uncharted 4 - again, it's my favourite entry - but it must look like I'm on a tirade against the game simply because I'm willing point out its flaws.

And to be clear, I'm not saying I'm right and someone who doesn't agree with me is wrong, but I am at least trying to back up my claims.

If you're going to patronise us all by claiming anyone who challenges your opinions are 'flat out wrong' and say rubbish like 'Naughty Dog are too good for their fans' then you better be able to explain yourself.

I have no problem with games that take their time, with games that focus on their story and I commend any developer that has the bravery to tell the tale they want to tell.

People (myself included) are criticising Uncharted 4 for it's execution of those things not the intent.

I hope I've not come across too aggressive because that's not my intention.

T.O.P

Banned
The first several chapters... immaculate. Naughty Dog are too good for their fans.

embarassed-for-u.gif

And by the way, I found the pacing to be fantastic.

I sometimes wander if those who found it boring just want constant shootouts. if so, Uncharted was never really the series for you. Combat served the story, always has in this franchise. If that's not what you want than unfortunately I saw look elsewhere. Uncharted 4 did an amazing job of keeping as much as it could on the stick, and that should not receive any criticism.

I don't think this is true at all, there's a ton of combat for combat's sake in the first 3 games, hell even in 4. If combat realistically served the story in the way we've become accustomed to in adventure fiction, there would be like 3 shootouts per installment. Sure, this time out they attempted to justify combat a little more in terms of where and when it happens, but even then Nate slaughters a small army.

My issue though, is that I wanted to slaughter a larger army, and be involved in more bombast. This being the 4th main game in the series means it carries the standards, baggage, and expectations of past titles on its shoulders. I came into this wanting a propulsive adventure, what UC was known for being, and that's not what they made, at least not in the same way they made them before. And that's fine, Naughty Dog's allowed to make what they want, but I will voice my displeasure because there are swaths of UC4 that do absolutely nothing for me. Whatever UC was before, it was never a low energy affair, yet UC4 is frequently low energy with very little in the way of engaging mechanics. There's more downtime and forced sightseeing, more light traversal while listening to banter, more closed off storytelling sections than ever before. It's one thing if all that is contained to a few chapters here and there (a Ch 4, a Ch. 16) but this vibe is felt throughout the experience. So yay for fans of exclusively story beats, you get to have your fill of quasi "light adventure" moments and low impact gameplay. But for those of us who appreciated the other side of Uncharted, the craft in those lengthy high energy stretches, it's slim pickings.

My response from earlier on in the thread to your original claims.

To be frank, your assertion that the opening chapters are 'immaculate' is nonsense - but maybe I wouldn't feel that way if you explained to me why you think that way?

I love Uncharted 4 - again, it's my favourite entry - but it must look like I'm on a tirade against the game simply because I'm willing point out its flaws.

And to be clear, I'm not saying I'm right and someone who doesn't agree with me is wrong, but I am at least trying back up my claims.

If you're going to patronise us all by claiming anyone who challenges your opinions are 'flat out wrong' and say rubbish like 'Naughty Dog are too good for their fans' then you better be able to explain yourself.

I have no problem with games that take their time, with games that focus on their story and I commend any developer that has the bravery to tell the tale they want to tell.

People (myself included) are criticising Uncharted 4 for it's execution of those things not the intent.

I hope I've not come across too aggressive because that's not my intention.

Aside from opening with the boat, which I didn't care for, I thought the opening was pretty damn amazing as well. The single best ND opening.

Why? It had a job to do. Across the 40-50 minutes, it needed to introduce a brand new character to the story but one who was always "supposed" to be there.

And you didn't like it so I'm not going to convince you otherwise, I can only offer you why I loved it and likely many others.

The opening jumps around sure, but I don't think that makes it clunky. It allows the game to establish a few important characters fairly well. And it did a great job of setting up and making me care for Sam, especially with young Sam on the bike, which was an absolutely vital scene.

So the opening was amazing because it had a tough task and it executed on it to make me and others care and appreciate the characters.

While the setup for UC2 and 4s opening is similar, they really are trying to do vastly different things.

In two minds about the game. The combat is easily the best it has ever been and I really liked the addition of the vehicle, the extra routes and most of the story. Loved all the different locations as well and the presentation is stunning.

But yeah, I do wish there was more of that excellent gunplay and the pacing did feel off to me, especially on subsequent playthroughs. Killed my desire to replay it.

So with some hesitation, because 4 is actually better in a couple of important ways, I might put 2 above it (even though its combat also feels more limiting after 4). I do prefer it to 3 though and especially 1, which is almost unplayable today with its repetitive combat waves and boring cover shooting.

Aside from opening with the boat, which I didn't care for, I thought the opening was pretty damn amazing as well. The single best ND opening.

Why? It had a job to do. Across the 40-50 minutes, it needed to introduce a brand new character to the story but one who was always "supposed" to be there.

And you didn't like it so I'm not going to convince you otherwise, I can only offer you why I loved it and likely many others.

The opening jumps around sure, but I don't think that makes it clunky. It allows the game to establish a few important characters fairly well. And it did a great job of setting up and making me care for Sam, especially with young Sam on the bike, which was an absolutely vital scene.

So the opening was amazing because it had a tough task and it executed on it to make me and others care and appreciate the characters.

While the setup for UC2 and 4s opening is similar, they really are trying to do vastly different things.

I appreciate the response.

I think in post-release interviews Naughty Dog has revealed the opening chase sequence was lifted out of the halfway point of the game to give the beginning more bombast.

I understand why they did it but I don't think it was a good compromise.

Why not start in the orphanage, establish Nate and Sam's relationship and their obsession with history (try and roll the intent of Chapter 16 into the intro).

The beginning could have set up their quest to find Avery's treasure before we jump ahead to see them in prison in full pursuit many years later.

Then the skip to the present day, after their botched attempt, could have been exactly the same.

It would have unfolded in chronological order, have been easy to follow and simple.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

Edit: This could have removed the need for Chapter 16 which is jarring to say the least and concludes in a really strange manner.

I appreciate the response.

I think in post-release interviews Naughty Dog has revealed the opening chase sequence was lifted out of the halfway point of the game to give the beginning more bombast.

I understand why they did it but I don't think it was a good compromise.

Why not start in the orphanage, establish Nate and Sam's relationship and their obsession with history (try and roll the intent of Chapter 16 into the intro).

The beginning could have set up their quest to find Avery's treasure before we jump ahead to see them in prison in full pursuit many years later.

Then the skip to the present day, after their botched attempt, could have been exactly the same.

It would have unfolded in chronological order, have been easy to follow and simple.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

I agree, the boat was unnecessary. It's only real purpose was to get a basic handling on the aiming and even that could have been done in other, better ways.

AudioEppa

110% agree with everything you said. My mind was all happy wow from moment to moment because of the beginning chapters that made great groundwork for the journey ahead, to the end. My personal favorite moment was
Nathan up in the attic thinking about old times and playing pretend shoot out lol. Then coming down exploring the house (which I did for almost 30 minutes) and the best part was spending quality time with his witty, cool and beautiful wife.

110% agree with everything you said. My mind was all happy wow from moment to moment because of the beginning chapters that made great groundwork for the journey ahead, to the end. My personal favorite moment was
Nathan up in the attic thinking about old times and playing pretend shoot out lol. Then coming down exploring the house (which I did for almost 30 minutes) and the best part was spending quality time with his witty, cool and beautiful wife.

That chapter is my favourite in the entire franchise.

Guy probably messed up his ranking. He obviously meant: UC2 > UC3 >UC1 >>UC4.

I did not mess up my ranking. 3 is more fun than 2, which is more fun than 1, which is considerably more fun than 4.

Eh, I can see why someone would prefer UC1 to 4. UC1 was practically wall to wall shooting and action, while UC4 was more of a walking simulator. If someone doesn't enjoy walking simulators, then they won't enjoy UC4.

Yes exactly. UC1 is a hell of a lot more fun than 4; I prob. played through the first game half a dozen times; was my first platinum.

UC1 is a game that has aged incredibly poorly and is entirely mediocre in its game play design.

The shooting is terrible, the encounter design is archaic and it suffers incredibly from the repetitive wave-based enemies it throws at you. The best parts of the game are when you aren't playing it.

Which makes the quality jump between UC1 and 2 all the more impressive. That jump is really rivaled only by few other jumps and to my mind as of now, I can only think of Assassin's Creed 1 to 2 as another example.

Is Hard a good difficulty to start with or is it like the other Uncharteds where hard mode is some bullshit?

Lol if you think hard difficulty is bullshit in the other Uncharted games then you are gonna have an aneurism with this one. Hard is quite a bit harder in 4.

I had time to stick with it and I definitely did not enjoy the first part. We have to also understand it would be unreasonably to expect people to put up with any game that takes a long time to do what they enjoy.

I actually enjoyed the game a lot more my second time around, which I was worried wouldn't be the case. I still want some more action highs, and I still don't like chapter 16, but I think it's a legitimately great game. Every element of the game is the best its ever been in Uncharted, but the pacing isn't quite as tight as Uncharted 2 even if you are doing a greater variety of activities throughout.

Servbot24

Banned
A lot of AAA studios allow their stories to "slow cook and tenderize." Let's not praise Naughty Dog for something they never invented. You back through gaming history and you can look at games like Silent Hill 2, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid 3, Assassin's Creed 2, Grand Theft Auto IV, Ocarina of Time, Half-Life 2, almost every RPG ever, etc. You probably wouldn't think to call these games slow, but they totally are. They take quite awhile before things actually kick off, and the action never gets truly intense until near the end.

There is nothing wrong with slow games. Uncharted 4 is just bad at being slow. Heck, Naughty Dog's last game, The Last of Us, is a slow ass game, but it's still far more interesting and better paced than Uncharted 4.

Congratuations Naughty Dog, you managed to craft a better story than the last three Uncharted games. Too bad the actual adventure bored me to the point of not caring at all. Having a well-developed story doesn't mean anything if it's not interesting to watch/play.
I'm talking modern era games. It's not like Ocarina, RE1 or MGS3 had the ability to litter their arcs with over the top set pieces. Though since you mention it, those games have fantastic atmosphere, largely enhanced by their pacing, so I think that just supports my point. If any of them started off with a giant explosion or car chase or whatever it would have hurt the feeling of the game. RPGs are a whole other beast that I won't get into.

AC2 is a decent example of it done poorly. Not only was I bored, I was cringing throughout that game in regards to how shallow it was. Haven't played GTAIV or HL2.

Furthermore, it's not as simple as simply "starting slowly". UC4 has ebb and flow. It has tension spikes using a variety of methods, only one of which is action. I think a problem is that people get way too attached to their expectations, and when I game doesn't match those expectations exactly it's considered a disappointment. So when people go in expecting all set pieces, and then the game ends up using emotional moments, or even fairly subtle read-between-the-lines moments as story peaks, they're either not engaged with that, or... I don't know what. Honestly I can't identify with people who care about that. Uncharted 4 could have been a true walking simulator, or it could have been action packed as Vanquish. As long as it is quality, I'm fine with it.

Sorry, I guess I missed your earlier response. I'd be happy to explain why. The story in the first several chapters is wonderful to me because it creates story movement and flow using untraditional means for games. I'll be clear - untraditional for games. This is definitely not an amazing or interesting story in a broader sense. Anyhow, the game employs all matter of storytelling techniques in order to achieve tension, to create space, to establish theme. When he first see kid Drake, I am immediately drawn in. The game tells you what is happening by making you live and breathe his world for several moments. I don't love Uncharted's climbing, but using that as an opportunity to get to know your brother works well. Again, if you are invested in Drake, this is still driving you since this is such a huge insight into who he is. After the next time jump we again get another sliver of Drake's life that serves a 4-way purpose of gameplay introduction, character introduction, the creation pf plot points that are used later on in the story, and thematic establishment that will be used as a contrast point to the next modern Drake scene, giving the story yet another splash of color. When that scene does come, it sets the stage for everything. Drake is happy, but he's not happy. As we'll find out, this continues to be the case whether Drake is at home, or even when he is adventuring. Like I said it's not deep on broad scale, but it's something games don't often go into. Each setting builds upon the last, adding layers of depth, each using very different means with high levels of contrast to elevate relatively subtle scenarios.

I don't want to walk through the entire story, but I hope you see what I mean.

I will say I don't like the boat opening. That was a poor choice to open with.

Ricky_R

Yeah, that boat opening was not that good imo. I was like, man, this game didn't open the way I hoped for, and then I was like, oh wait... this is nice. Then, WAIT... this is awesome. By the time I reached chapter 6, ND had hit me on all right notes.

I thank them for such fan service.

HussiZooT

Is it just me who wants UC4 to have a DLC update with combat arenas for high scores and shizz? Kinda like inFAMOUS: First Light.

These combat arenas could be single player focused with objectives such as bomb defusal, hostage rescue, trophy hunt, survival, boss encounters, etc.

Plus I loved the destruction physics in the game so having similar destructive environments in these combat arenas could definitely elevate the whole experience. PLUS, wouldn't mind having some gameplay modifiers as part of collectibles whilst playing the mode such as 0 gravity, slow motion aim, etc.

Wouldn't mind if these arenas were co-op enabled as well.

Or is it all actually coming in a DLC?

Sorry if this isn't relevant to the thread.

This is exactly what it is for me. Inside is probably my favorite single player game of the year and it doesn't even have any combat. I don't hate games with slow pacing, but I just don't think it works all that well in Uncharted 4.

The bottom line is this:

The reason that many of us want more combat is because it's far and away what the game does best outside of graphics. It's not because we're idiots incapable of enjoying anything without constant combat. I don't think any other area of the game is particularly remarkable other than the acting so the slow pacing and lack of sustained tension just doesn't work for me here.

I'm talking modern era games. It's not like Ocarina, RE1 or MGS3 had the ability to litter their arcs with over the top set pieces. Though since you mention it, those games have fantastic atmosphere, largely enhanced by their pacing, so I think that just supports my point. If any of them started off with a giant explosion or car chase or whatever it would have hurt the feeling of the game. RPGs are a whole other beast that I won't get into.

AC2 is a decent example of it done poorly. Not only was I bored, I was cringing throughout that game in regards to how shallow it was. Haven't played GTAIV or HL2.

Furthermore, it's not as simple as simply "starting slowly". UC4 has ebb and flow. It has tension spikes using a variety of methods, only one of which is action. I think a problem is that people get way too attached to their expectations, and when I game doesn't match those expectations exactly it's considered a disappointment. So when people go in expecting all set pieces, and then the game ends up using emotional moments, or even fairly subtle read-between-the-lines moments as story peaks, they're either not engaged with that, or... I don't know what. Honestly I can't identify with people who care about that. Uncharted 4 could have been a true walking simulator, or it could have been action packed as Vanquish. As long as it is quality, I'm fine with it.

See, you're just making lame assumptions about what you think I wanted. I totally don't mind the laid back set pieces and the stronger focus on emotional storytelling. After three games of doing the exact same thing, I welcome change with open arms. My problem is that Uncharted 4 poorly executes its shift to a more emotional tale.

The Last of Us has a similar approach to storytelling and pacing, and it is just so much better. It is mechanically more interesting, has a much more interesting world to explore, has far more interesting characters, it finds a better balance between its action and laid back moments, it doesn't take several hours for stuff to start happening, etc. Naughty Dog has done much better in the past. UC4 feels like a step back in almost every way.

I'm also just gonna get this off my chest. One of the worst sins of Uncharted 4 besides the pacing is just how standard the entire story is. Despite having a much larger focus on story, it is still just a typical tropey treasure hunter adventure. I would probably be more willing to forgive the game's faults if the tale being told was actually great, but it's not. It's not bad, but it's not good either. It's just average summer blockbuster entertainment we see every single year. You spend 15 hours with the game and it all leads to predictable twists and an
overly happy ending set on a breach.
It's bullshit, this game did not need to be 15 hours long. It did not need to have so much build up with its characters and be so mechanically uninteresting if it wasn't going to lead to anything amazing. I'm sorry, you can praise the emotional storytelling all you want, but it's all just painfully average. Naughty Dog should have just abandoned the Indiana Jones style of adventure and made something more unique. Their attempts in sticking to the Uncharted formula and trying something new resulted in a messy and unfocused experience.

Reading through the thread, it seems the majority are still really positive about this game 2 months from launch and the hype that accompanied it.
Don't think this game will follow the - great game to bad inside 9 months - trajectory of 'Bioshock: Infinite' at all. It has just as much chance to be seen more positively in the future; appreciated for what it is and not what people expected it to be. It will be DEFINITELY seen as a daring swansong for ND for what it's worth.

See, you're just making lame assumptions about what you think I wanted. I totally don't mind the laid back set pieces and the stronger focus on emotional storytelling. After three games of doing the exact same thing, I welcome change with open arms. My problem is that Uncharted 4 poorly executes its shift to a more emotional tale.

The Last of Us has a similar approach to storytelling and pacing, and it is just so much better. It is mechanically more interesting, has a much more interesting world to explore, has far more interesting characters, it finds a better balance between its action and laid back moments, it doesn't take several hours for stuff to start happening, etc. Naughty Dog has done much better in the past. UC4 feels like a step back in almost every way.

I'm also just gonna get this off my chest. One of the worst sins of Uncharted 4 besides the pacing is just how standard the entire story is. Despite having a much larger focus on story, it is still just a typical tropey treasure hunter adventure. I would probably be more willing to forgive the game's faults if the tale being told was actually great, but it's not. It's not bad, but it's not good either. It's just average summer blockbuster entertainment we see every single year. You spend 15 hours with the game and it all leads to predictable twists and an
overly happy ending set on a breach.
It's bullshit, this game did not need to be 15 hours long. It did not need to have so much build up with its characters and be so mechanically uninteresting if it wasn't going to lead to anything amazing. I'm sorry, you can praise the emotional storytelling all you want, but it's all just painfully average. Naughty Dog should have just abandoned the Indiana Jones style of adventure and made something more unique. Their attempts in sticking to the Uncharted formula and trying something new resulted in a messy and unfocused experience.

Yup that's exactly what I was getting at Jango.

The plot and characters aren't anything special. It only kinda works because we've grown attached to Nate and co. over the years and this is the final game. Sure, you could still say that Uncharted 4 has the best story in the series, but that's not saying much of anything as those games were fun, lighthearted romps and at least their stories didn't take away from the gameplay. They also didn't give so much screentime to a character as unremarkable as Sam.

The game world and enemies are as standard as it gets. Exploration isn't rewarding and the Hollywood soundtrack was bland as hell. The puzzles are simple and the mindless platforming shouldn't have been the "meat" of the game. Yes, I understand that some of this is due to the limitations of the Uncharted franchise, but that's exactly why they shouldn't have went with this formula. It's also exacerbated by the game's length in comparison to previous games and obviously the significantly different ratio of how the player's time is spent.

The experience just feels incredibly average outside of the pretty graphics and combat that we're dripfed.

Beat it on crushing and got frustrated with about 2-3 sections. But yeah, easily the best uncharted for me. And OP a lot of people aren't disappointed man, that's just usually the vocal minority. The game is critically and commercially very successful, and a lot of people are digging the MP.

definitely the best uncharted, I plan on getting the plat

Agreed. GAF popular opinion is divorced from the mainstream popular opinion. How else to explain the insane popularity of games like Call Of Duty and Destiny? Huge numbers of people invest hundreds of hours into games that appear to be almost universally disliked here on GAF. According to my nephew and his friends, the best game of EVERY year is Fifa :)
Never see it represented on GAF game of the year awards though.

AudioEppa

Reading through the thread, it seems the majority are still really positive about this game 2 months from launch and the hype that accompanied it.
Don't think this game will follow the - great game to bad inside 9 months - trajectory of 'Bioshock: Infinite' at all. It has just as much chance to be seen more positively in the future; appreciated for what it is and not what people expected it to be. It will be DEFINITELY seen as a daring swansong for ND for what it's worth.

It's funny, I actually had low expectations going in. The other games are super great to me now. But years ago I couldn't get hyped about U3 after feeling let down by U2.

As someone who loves the last of us I was excited regarding U4 getting handled by Bruce and Neil, but I was curious if they were going to put themselves in the story, or keep it however it was originally going to be planned from Amy, who I think is amazing and can't wait to play her Star Wars game. But I wanted certain aspects from the last of us transformed into the world of Uncharted. So after playing it, my worries were put to rest, I still felt like I was playing a treasure hunting adventure, but this time it felt I got more out of story then just a few quick cutscenes and right back to action.
That moment at the dinner table of dead pirates between Drake and Ellen brought tears to my eyes and down my face.
The first time that happened to me was doring my favorite last of us scene: "Everyone i loved is either dead or gone, everyone except fucking you.. so don't tell I'll better off because I'll just be more scared" that raw emotion make everything about about storytelling for me, whether it's from a video game, movie or tv show.

I totally expect another game to come along some day as my game of all time, but even when that happens, uncharted 4 will forever hold a place in my heart.

Ricky_R

It's funny, I actually had low expectations going in. The other games are super great to me now. But years ago I couldn't get hyped about U3 after feeling let down by U2.

As someone who loves the last of us I was excited regarding U4 getting handled by Bruce and Neil, but I was curious if they were going to put themselves in the story, or keep it however it was originally going to be planned from Amy, who I think is amazing and can't wait to play her Star Wars game. But I wanted certain aspects from the last of us transformed into the world of Uncharted. So after playing it, my worries were put to rest, I still felt like I was playing a treasure hunting adventure, but this time it felt I got more out story pacing then just a few quick cutscenes and right back to action.
That moment at the dinner table of dead pirates between Drake and Ellen brought tears to my eyes and down my face.
The first time that happened to me was doring my favorite the last of us scene: "Everyone i loved is either dead or gone, everyone except fucking you.. so don't tell I'll better off because I'll just be more scared" that raw emotion make everything about about storytelling for me, whether it's from a video game, movie or tv show.

I totally expect another game to come along some day as my game of all time, but even when that happens, uncharted 4 will forever hold a place in my heart.

That dinner table scene was pretty powerful. That single moment was able to tell us so much about Drake. It was very emotional and magnificently acted.

By far my favorite moment in the game.

Ascenion

Why would you force yourself into 3 playthroughs lol I mean if you weren't feeling it? Trophies maybe?

IMO a game doesn't have to be replayable any day of the week to be good. Some games you play once in a long while and have a great time with it. UC4 is that kinda game for me. When I'm in the specific mood to play it again I will, and hopefully (and probably) I'll appreciate it more and more overtime.

I get that there were lots of climbing sections and "walking simulator" parts but traversal was fine if lite and the portions of the game spent walking and talking brought me a lot of joy, the mansion; first part of Libertalia with Sam.

It's like how I think Left Behind is amazing but I don't replay it on a whim. But when I'm in the mood it's always great to return with fresh eyes.

Trophies yeah. Speed run and crushing warranted two more runs. Still the other 3 titles lend themselves better to quick runs for fun and action and full replays just to see it all go down again. I guess it may be better to say I actively don't want to play Uncharted 4 again start to finish. When I have an Uncharted itch which I usually do twice a month or so outside of multiplayer I will be popping in the Nathan Drake collection. If I ever want to experience Uncharted 4 again it will be a combination of YouTube and encounter select. Maybe I ruined it for myself by trophy hunting, but it didn't happen with 1-3.

I don't think anyone would claim that there weren't a couple of nice story moments like the aforementioned banquet, the jeep scene or the cutscene after chapter 11 with Elena, but these are fleeting moments in a pretty lengthy game. They don't justify the padding and pacing. It's also pretty telling that they're great because of Elena not Sam, the companion you spend the majority of the game with.

Basically, yeah there are flashes of greatness, but it's never sustained just like with the way we're dripfed the combat. Overall, the characters and story left me thoroughly unimpressed. Maybe I just expected too much, but I mean these are the same guys who wrote TLoU and Left Behind. We're also coming off a year with some all time great stories so it's tough for me to accept this story as being great. (The Witcher 3 + Hearts of Stone, SOMA, Sunless Sea, Undertale, Her Story) Hell, Bloodborne's story was pretty intriguing too. This year we've recieved INSIDE. It's like why settle for an average treasure story with pacing that makes it a complete chore to replay when we could've recieved an all time great action game? The sustained tension of Uncharted 2 combined with the better mobility options and shooting of Uncharted 4. It's not a bad game by any means, but a huge disappointment to me. Wasn't memorable at all.

Ridesh

Banned

Really? reading through the thread makes me think of the Uncharted 3 reception, it isn't nearly as positive as U2 or TLOU.

rashbeep

Banned
I don't think anyone would claim that there weren't a couple of nice story moments like the aforementioned banquet, the jeep scene or the cutscene after chapter 11 with Elena, but these are fleeting moments in a pretty lengthy game. They don't justify the padding and pacing. It's also pretty telling that they're great because of Elena not Sam, the companion you spend the majority of the game with.

Basically, yeah there are flashes of greatness, but it's never sustained just like with the way we're dripfed the combat. Overall, the characters and story left me thoroughly unimpressed. Maybe I just expected too much, but I mean these are the same guys who wrote TLoU and Left Behind. We're also coming off a year with some all time great stories so it's tough for me to accept this story as being great. (The Witcher 3 + Hearts of Stone, SOMA, Sunless Sea, Undertale, Her Story) Hell, Bloodborne's story was pretty intriguing too. This year we've recieved INSIDE. It's like why settle for an average treasure story with pacing that makes it a complete chore to replay when we could've recieved an all time great action game? The sustained tension of Uncharted 2 combined with the better mobility options and shooting of Uncharted 4. It's not a bad game by any means, but a huge disappointment to me. Wasn't memorable at all.

Spot on.

I think the setting was a missed opportunity. Lacked the intrigue that the other games had.

It felt like the Temple of Doom of the Indy series.

LastNac

I don't think this is true at all, there's a ton of combat for combat's sake in the first 3 games, hell even in 4. If combat realistically served the story in the way we've become accustomed to in adventure fiction, there would be like 3 shootouts per installment. Sure, this time out they attempted to justify combat a little more in terms of where and when it happens, but even then Nate slaughters a small army.

giphy.gif

;)

Sure, you had some senseless shootouts in every single game, but it certainly peaked with UC2. It's just Uncharted 2 was an absolute grind(an unfun one at that) during the last few chapters. Sniper towers, dudes being thrown at you over a bridge the blue guys, etc. This beautiful myth of Among Thieves having the best pacing is simply that, a myth. What it really boils down to is the game having more enemies to kill, that's it. You then look at UC3 that has fewer shootouts throughout but "balances" this out by turning each shootout to level 10, that didn't work either.

Uncharted 4 is the longest game in the series, which in turn has the fewer shootouts. The intensity of those encounters seem inappropriate at some points, but not their placements overall. You run into dudes to kill when it's natural to do so. It doesn't feel like you're being funneled into a fight (like in UC2) nor does it feel like every shootout is Drake's last(UC3.) Thankfully, they even were able to avoid the "let's throw everything at you towards the end" pattern that both UC2 and UC3 offered during its finale stretch either.

Does each encounter add to the story? I don't know if I could say that, but at least they don't deter from it, something the last two installments suffered from.

My issue though, is that I wanted to slaughter a larger army, and be involved in more bombast. This being the 4th main game in the series means it carries the standards, baggage, and expectations of past titles on its shoulders. I came into this wanting a propulsive adventure, what UC was known for being, and that's not what they made, at least not in the same way they made them before. And that's fine, Naughty Dog's allowed to make what they want, but I will voice my displeasure because there are swaths of UC4 that do absolutely nothing for me. Whatever UC was before, it was never a low energy affair, yet UC4 is frequently low energy with very little in the way of engaging mechanics. There's more downtime and forced sightseeing, more light traversal while listening to banter, more closed off storytelling sections than ever before. It's one thing if all that is contained to a few chapters here and there (a Ch 4, a Ch. 16) but this vibe is felt throughout the experience. So yay for fans of exclusively story beats, you get to have your fill of quasi "light adventure" moments and low impact gameplay. But for those of us who appreciated the other side of Uncharted, the craft in those lengthy high energy stretches, it's slim pickings.

I'm not praising UC4, nor am I saying it's what I wanted as a fan of mechanical narratives. That said, it's still a fantastic experience in its own right.

Yes, absolutely it feels like the energy seems to consistently flatline for the most of the adventure, offering up not too highs or not too lows. I would certainly say it's not as bombastic as the previous two titles and offers very little in the sense of escalation of action along the way.

The reason for this is due exclusively to the "powers that be" fundamentally changing the formula at a base level.Uncharted has absolutely been about that high octane adventure, dropping the player on the cusp of that action and letting us get to that center. The games have always been designed to allow us to feel the escalation, then the culmination, then we start over again and repeat.

Uncharted 4 is different because it introduces something originally foreign to the mix, Environmental Storytelling. TLoU is an amazing experience that used its visuals and its world to tell huge chunks of the story and establish the atmosphere. Because Environmental Storytelling was such a huge part of TLoU the game was paced appropriately. For Uncharted 4 however, it just didn't seem to work as well, and you will notice the Environmental Storytelling really kick in the more time we spend around Avery and Co. I just think this approach to storytelling(and pacing) didn't work as well, firstly because it was Uncharted, and second because Pirates and tropical settings are nowhere near as captivating or impressive as Shambahala or Iram visually. The setting and McGuffin are things we are far more familiar with(especially in a world with "Pirates of the Caribbean" and AC4) and because of that we find such elements less romantic or exciting. Scotland, Italy, and Madagascar were all just visually unexciting compared to locations we've seen before, so spending time "soaking it in" is lost on us.

Honestly, I don't know anything about this concept/idea other than the fact that it didn't make it in the final game and was scrapped(probably a Hennig idea) but this location:
undiscovered-uncharted4-naughty-dog_1600x667_marked.jpg

Already appears more exciting based simply off how unique and foreign it seems. Scale also sells a sense of Awe as well.

So yeah, I certainly agree that UC4 lacks a sense of propulsion that the others had, but I don't think Environmental Storytelling was a terrible idea for the series, just an element that was unfamiliar to it and ultimately didn't work as well. That said, the effect was lost on many because the locations never came close to being as amazingly impactful(or awe inspiring) as those that we had seen in UC2,UC3 and TLoU.

Manu

Sure, you had some senseless shootouts in every single game, but it certainly peaked with UC2. It's just Uncharted 2 was an absolute grind(an unfun one at that) during the last few chapters. Sniper towers, dudes being thrown at you over a bridge the blue guys, etc. This beautiful myth of Among Thieves having the best pacing is simply that, a myth. What it really boils down to is the game having more enemies to kill, that's it. You then look at UC3 that has fewer shootouts throughout but "balances" this out by turning each shootout to level 10, that didn't work either.

Uncharted 4 is the longest game in the series, which in turn has the fewer shootouts. The intensity of those encounters seem inappropriate at some points, but not their placements overall. You run into dudes to kill when it's natural to do so. It doesn't feel like you're being funneled into a fight (like in UC2) nor does it feel like every shootout is Drake's last(UC3.) Thankfully, they even were able to avoid the "let's throw everything at you towards the end" pattern that both UC2 and UC3 offered during its finale stretch either.

Does each encounter add to the story? I don't know if I could say that, but at least they don't deter from it, something the last two installments suffered from.

Thank you. This is one of the main reasons why I enjoyed 4 more than any of the previous ones. I disagree about the enviromental storytelling part of your post though, I don't think the game lacked jawdropping or exciting moments, and some of them exceeded those of the previous games imo.

LastNac

Thank you. This is one of the main reasons why I enjoyed 4 more than any of the previous ones. I disagree about the enviromental storytelling part of your post though, I don't think the game lacked jawdropping or exciting moments, and some of them exceeded those of the previous games imo.
Not necessarily lacking in any "jawdropping" moments, but didn't "Wow" as much either.

The locations were no where near as exotic as they had been in the past. Not to mention that Pirates have been played out over the last few years in pop culture, spefically even this very medium.

I feel the locations weren't as new or unique to justify the time we spent with them, especially since the architecture and geographical setting of Libertalia was extremely similar to where we tread in the first Uncharted. Mainland Madagascar would have been a more exotic setting than tropical island, but instead we saw entirely too little of it.

Manu

Not necessarily lacking in any "jawdropping" moments, but didn't "Wow" as much either.

The locations were no where near as exotic as they had been in the past. Not to mention that Pirates have been played out over the last few years in pop culture, spefically even this very medium.

I feel the locations weren't as new or unique to justify the time we spent with them, especially since the architecture and geographical setting of Libertalia was extremely similar to where we tread in the first Uncharted. Mainland Madagascar would have been a more exotic setting than tropical island, but instead we saw entirely too little of it.

I guess it's a matter of opinions then, because other than the city of Ubar in Uncharted 3 I don't think I've been wowed by the series before. Meanwhile New Devon was one of the coolest things I've seen in a game ever.

LastNac

I guess it's a matter of opinions then, because other than the city of Ubar in Uncharted 3 I don't think I've been wowed by the series before. Meanwhile New Devon was one of the coolest things I've seen in a game ever.
War-torn Nepal still is awe inspiring, and the doors opening out to reveal Shambhala is one of the most amazing sights the PS3 had to offer.

New Devon looked great, but so much of it was then experienced from a claustrophobic street level that the sense of scale was quickly lost. Like I said, no one is arguing that the game lloked amazing. Were not talking graphics, we're talking geograhpy and lay out.

Ricky_R

I think I was more wowed by Uncharted 2's environments and direction. Uncharted 4 looks great, but I think levels in 2 looked more interesting and impressive.

If Uncharted 4 had better water I may think differently, but I think the crappy looking water made some landscapes look less amazing that they should. This is talking strictly about the locations though... Overall, UC4 is the most impressive looking console game I've seen.

I loved the game and unlike yourself, felt more than satisfied by it. However I agree with your comments (bolded) this type of game needs to exist. Its the kind of game that I have shown to many 'non-gamer' types and shows them the power of the medium. It has quite literally brought these people into gaming. ND and the Uncharted series rightfully deserve their place as leaders in this industry. Upon finishing Uncharted 4 all I could think of was 'how the hell will they top this' but you know what, they've continuously topped their previous efforts in the past and we all know they'll do it again.

Couldn't agree more with this post

Niteandgrey

Neo Member
I thought it was a perfect end to the series.

Sam was a good character to play off Nathan. Rafe is the best villain Uncharted ever had. I personally like Eddy Raja more, but Rafe is by far the more compelling character. Sully is still king of them all.

Agreed although one of my only complaints about the game and the narrative is that I would have liked to have known more about Rafe and what makes him tick. We know he's rich, we know he grew up with a silver spoon in his mouth and early on in the prison escape, we know he's violently psychotic. But beyond that we don't know much. A good villain deserves a good, layered backstory.

Top Bottom