• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Uncharted 4 - Yeah, this is the one

What I prefer about the slower pacing is that it means more time to spend with the characters before it's all over, the game may have dragged but at the end I still didn't want it to be over, also the Madagascar level is up there with anything they've done before, such a shame they showed it before release.

Ricky_R

Glad you liked it, OP. I think it's a magnificent game. My favorite in the series although not as impactful as Uncharted 2. Then again... not many games have been as impactful as UC2 was to me.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, I did mean Infinite, it was a typo, thanks for pointing it out...

It's always hard to judge tone online so just to clarify, I wasn't being a keyboard grammar warrior correcting wrongs for the good of mankind, I was genuinely asking if that's what you meant.

Anyway, from my perspective we weren't promised something the game doesn't deliver. It's a story-driven action adventure and was advertised as such. As far as I know, we were never shown any gameplay mechanics or sequences that were changed or removed before the game was released (as was the case with Infinite). That was my point.

Also, I never played the original trilogy (apart from a few hours of part 1) so I can't comment on the amount of action in A Thief's End relative to it, but I will say I thought there was enough action to at least satisfy my own need for excitement in this type of game.

Daft Punk

Banned
Easily the best game. The focus on characterization over non-stop action was a great change and added depth to the game that was somewhat lost in Uncharted 3. A definite GotY frontrunner.

Manu

Whoa, thread exploded overnight. So many responses.

Glad you liked it, OP. I think it's a magnificent game. My favorite in the series although not as impactful as Uncharted 2. Then again... not many games have been as impactful as UC2 was to me.

Man, I'd love to see what seemingly everyone does in Uncharted 2. I've even played it twice and was underwhelmed both times.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
The whole final boss fight and how that all played out was very anticlimatic for me...

Nadine was such a wasted character....they had the perfect opportunity to have her be the one that saves Nathan in the end allowing him and Sam to get out. They even teased her having some sort of connection to him but did nothing with it.In general i hated that whole swordfight....dragged on far too long

void666

Banned
Disappointing. UC4 will join bioshock infinite in the land of overhyped forgettable games.

I'm so salty that ND last shot at the franchise was such a miss. They will never top uncharted 2.
I don't mind story driven games. TLOU is one my favorites of all time. But the pacing in UC4 is just bad. And all that climbing. Jesus...

Raylan

Banned
Easily the best game. The focus on characterization over non-stop action was a great change and added depth to the game that was somewhat lost in Uncharted 3. A definite GotY frontrunner.

Agree. Neil and Bruce did such a great job. Can't wait to see what's next.

The ending of this game feels like it was rewritten or something near the game's completion.
I was expecting some kind of showdown or some legitimate tension between the brothers, but that never comes.

It was rewritten when the director and writer changed. Not close to completion mind you, but changed nonetheless.

Ricky_R

Man, I'd love to see what seemingly everyone does in Uncharted 2. I've even played it twice and was overwhelmed both times.

Hehe, yeah. It was just a marvelous experience that game. I think it was a combination of how great the game was, how hyped it was, my life situation back then... One of the greatest for me.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lololol So Naughty Dog ended up making a game for people who disliked the series instead of fans of the series. Just thinking about that makes me feel a bit betrayed.

My favorite thing about the game (especially Uncharted 2) was to replay them on higher difficulty levels. There is NOTHING out there that plays like Uncharted. Nothing. The movement, the controls, the shooting all come together to create some visceral shootouts that most TPSs can never even aspire to produce even if they tried.

The coop levels in Uncharted 2 were phenomenal because they focused solely on shooting. Shooting was great. We didnt need less of it. Platforming was ok when used to break up the shooting segments but here it's the main course with combat used to break up platforming instead. Just bizarre.

Sorry OP, but you say you enjoyed the combat, and wished there was more of it, but at the same time you liked the focus on the slow moments. I dont think you know what you want.

Man, I'd love to see what seemingly everyone does in Uncharted 2. I've even played it twice and was overwhelmed both times.

UC2 is just a different type of game. Even it's pacing is wildly different then UC4 as it's s far more bombastic in nature and akin to a summer block buster movie.

When it was released, I'd consider it one of the best paced games in the action genre. And I still do actually. But the game worked at the time and does today because it forgoes much of the story for character moments and banter. The plot is simple and executed well and it's essentially a lighthearted, fun romp that throws plenty of different and unique scenarios at you.

With that said, I vastly prefer the pacing of TLOU and UC4, which are slower burns with a bigger emphasis on the characters, story and themes. I largely prefer this type of pacing as I feel it adds a lot more weight to the rest of the game when done well and it's probably something I enjoy due to my preference of RPGs and other such similar games. And I thought both TLOU and UC4 handled the pacing exceptionally well outside a few minor hiccups (I actually think UC4 is NDs best paced game).

Beat it on crushing and got frustrated with about 2-3 sections. But yeah, easily the best uncharted for me. And OP a lot of people aren't disappointed man, that's just usually the vocal minority. The game is critically and commercially very successful, and a lot of people are digging the MP.

definitely the best uncharted, I plan on getting the plat

Manu

lololol So Naughty Dog ended up making a game for people who disliked the series instead of fans of the series. Just thinking about that makes me feel a bit betrayed.

[...]

Sorry OP, but you say you enjoyed the combat, and wished there was more of it, but at the same time you liked the focus on the slow moments. I dont think you know what you want.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. I enjoyed that there was more story. That doesn't mean I don't want more action.

Talk about condescending.

My favorite thing about the game (especially Uncharted 2) was to replay them on higher difficulty levels. There is NOTHING out there that plays like Uncharted. Nothing. The movement, the controls, the shooting all come together to create some visceral shootouts that most TPSs can never even aspire to produce even if they tried.

The coop levels in Uncharted 2 were phenomenal because they focused solely on shooting. Shooting was great. We didnt need less of it. Platforming was ok when used to break up the shooting segments but here it's the main course with combat used to break up platforming instead. Just bizarre.

I was a fan of the series and loved UC4. *shrugs*

And the bolded isn't an incompatible thought process. It makes sense. Don't let your impressions of the game color your understanding standing of anothers viewpoint.

You're exaggerating, but yeah I can't say puzzles were hard or required much thinking.

they were time wasters to stretch the game, just like 90% of the game aka mindless climbing that requires zero skill.
you can call this GAF hyperbole but it was maybe the most boring game i've ever played.

I'm so torn, gameplay-wise U4 is easily the best in the series but I also found it the most boring. The multiplayer never clicked with me either, really dull. I hope the story DLC is substantial.

Ricky_R

Ignoring the lololol... I understand your general sentiment, but I'm a big Uncharted fan and I appreciated the shift in focus. A bit more action and combat would've been welcomed, I agree, but I loved the slower pace and character focus, as well as the vastly improved gunplay.

I just love Bruce and Neil's approach to game development.

they were time wasters to stretch the game, just like 90% of the game aka mindless climbing that requires zero skill.
you can call this GAF hyperbole but it was maybe the most boring game i've ever played.
What type of "skill" would be fun in jumping around in a 3rd person action game? Lol...I don't even get what people expected from this, it's way better than previous entries, but uncharted has never been a Mario game with timed-specific jumps. Anyway, to each his own. I'm able to play DMC on hardest difficulty, and am a pretty competent SF, & VF player, I appreciate skill based games more than many gaffers most likely, even started uncharted on crushing. Didn't find one part boring.

Opinions...

Kyolux

Loved the epilogue, but otherwise I didn't really like it all that much.

Set pieces didn't have as many wow moments, the puzzles were few and far between and the gunfights were more annoying than fun most of the time.

What type of "skill" would be fun in jumping around in a 3rd person action game? Lol...I don't even get what people expected from this, it's way better than previous entries, but uncharted has never been a Mario game with timed-specific jumps. Anyway, to each his own. I'm able to play DMC on hardest difficulty, and am a pretty competent SF, & VF player, I appreciate skill based games more than many gaffers most likely, even started uncharted on crushing. Didn't find one part boring.

Opinions...

i don't know but at least something, you can easily play a good chunk of this game with your feet and it's not like something interesting is happening on the screen, just you climbing the 400th wall. there's so many easy little things you can throw in to make it more interesting but it feels like nobody really wanted to do those parts at ND so they phoned them in to get back to working on other things.

this sums it up:
https://youtu.be/xnlDwEZkidI?t=159

Manu

What type of "skill" would be fun in jumping around in a 3rd person action game? Lol...I don't even get what people expected from this, it's way better than previous entries, but uncharted has never been a Mario game with timed-specific jumps.

I think more skill required in some of the jumps would make the game better, especially considering that most times the game autosaves before every big jump, so you barely lose any progress. Right now the game makes the platforming too automated and not punishing enough, and changing at least one of these aspects would improve the traversal sections significantly imo. The early Tomb Raider games were great about this (and then they took it too far in the later games.)

LastNac

I've stayed quite on it, but I think my biggest problem with it centered on the story they wanted to tell, not how they told it.

Coming off Uncharted 3 I loved the "combat to non combat" ratio and was concerned that UC4 was gonna swing back to UC2 levels of shoot bang. It didn't however and was better for it.

No, most of my problems lay squarely with the story, specially the character of Sam Drake. But I'll go into that in a later thread. Replaying them all one last time to get my feelings in check.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I loved it. Granted, I've loved every entry in the series (even Golden Abyss!), but Uncharted 4 is a masterpiece, and a great note to end the series on. I haven't decided if I think Uncharted 4 is the best in the series, as Uncharted 2 was pretty damn phenomenal, but I need to give it a few more playthroughs first (I've only played through it once so far, and haven't been able to revisit it because I'm determined to chip away at my backlog).

As a long time fan of the series (since Drake's Fortune in '07!), this was such a fan servicey, nostalgic game.

Bumhead

Banned
I like it. Not sure I love it though.

It's one of those games I find myself enjoying a lot, but in between getting to play it I'm not thinking about it much. I'm up to Chapter 18 and haven't played for a week due to other commitments. Tonight's the first night I've got a clear few hours to return to it, and I'm thinking of playing something else instead. I never felt like that playing DOOM.

It's a good game, possibly my favourite Uncharted game of the lot, while also simultaneously I hope it's the last one of these Naughty Dog ever make. Literally pining for them to move on now (and not just to TLOU2) despite my enjoyment of UC4.

Ricky_R

I've stayed quite on it, but I think my biggest problem with it centered on the story they wanted to tell, not how they told it.

Coming off Uncharted 3 I loved the "combat to non combat" ratio and was concerned that UC4 was gonna swing back to UC2 levels of shoot bang. It didn't however and was better for it.

No, most of my problems lay squarely with the story, specially the character of Sam Drake. But I'll go into that in a later thread. Replaying them all one last time to get my feelings in check.

I think Neil was a bit limited with Sam due to the whole situation at ND. He probably didn't have time to start from scratch and just gave a new direction to the character.

The whole thing seems a bit out of place considering that he was never brought up in any of the games, but I think they managed all things considered.

Give me a shout when you make a thread because I've got a lot to say.

I'm not ignoring your question from the previous page, but I think how I would define it (cinematic storytelling) and why I have an issue with it Uncharted 4 will make more sense if I talk about the series as whole.

I'm pretty sure I know your issues with Sam too... if you have the same gripes my friend and I had.

Edit: Just to elaborate, Sam's introduction works, but it's not seamless and has costs.

Looking forward to it. If the story and characters were more interesting, I might've been more tolerant of the pace. Still wouldn't excuse the amount of mindless climbing though.

Well good to hear,
I haven't disliked the previous games but also haven't been blown away by anything but the productionvalues really. Just feels too safe and bland imo. TLOU as well, decent game, very safe, very generic.. (too much walking and talking all the time..!).
I just played INSIDE the other day, Naughty Dog could learn a thing or two from that game :)

INSIDE is masterful. It's story was way more intriguing than UC4's even though it didn't feature a lick of dialogue.

I have heard about the pacing issues before playing the game, and when I played it myself I thought it was an overblown issue and naughty dog did the right thing by slowing the pace to enhance the story, but after doing a second run + a speed run(trophy hunting), I was pulling my hair about how awful it was. The Last Of Us never had these issues considering it also was very story oriented. I think it's the biggest flaw of the game by far. I hope their next project won't be like this.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I think more skill required in some of the jumps would make the game better, especially considering that most times the game autosaves before every big jump, so you barely lose any progress. Right now the game makes the platforming too automated and not punishing enough, and changing at least one of these aspects would improve the traversal sections significantly imo...

Just to pick up on this small point, I'm starting to feel like losing progress (or being made to replay certain sections) in some games is actually an archaic, pointless part of the design process. I'm starting to feel thankful that some developers, who are more interested in letting the player experience a story above all else, are ignoring this or moving past it.

To use the most obvious example, the Souls series punishes the player for a reason. Replaying the areas and fighting the bosses again is part of the learning curve, where each death should teach us something about how to approach the deliberate combat of the games. It's one of the main reasons to play the games.

The exploration aspect of Uncharted was never meant to be challenging, as far as I can tell. There's no deliberately designed system to master and overcome. It's just an aspect of the genre. We're playing as an Indiana Jones style adventurer, climbing around in old ruins/tombs looking for treasure. And anyway, the main thrust of the game is to get to the next cut-scene, isn't it? Everything begins and ends with the story, so I can think of no reason to make it more difficult for the player to get through the "platforming" sections. Failing, and being forced to replay them would only make the game a more tedious overall experience, I think.

Formosa

It's sort of a good game, but def not a great game imo. I think the 10/10 reviews are paid reviews lol.

What I liked:
+ Good graphics.
+ Pretty background scenes.

What I disliked:
- Game is too short. Game doesn't feel complete. Too many little pieces of everything, especially fight scenes and puzzles.
- Bad controls. Feels laggy.

Manu

Just to pick up on this small point, I'm starting to feel like losing progress (or being made to replay certain sections) in some games is actually an archaic, pointless part of the design process. I'm starting to feel thankful that some developers, who are more interested in letting the player experience a story above all else, are ignoring this or moving past it.

To use the most obvious example, the Souls series punishes the player for a reason. Replaying the areas and fighting the bosses again is part of the learning curve, where each death should teach us something about how to approach the deliberate combat of the games. It's one of the main reasons to play the games.

The exploration aspect of Uncharted was never meant to be challenging, as far as I can tell. There's no deliberately designed system to master and overcome. It's just an aspect of the genre. We're playing as an Indiana Jones style adventurer, climbing around in old ruins/tombs looking for treasure. And anyway, the main thrust of the game is to get to the next cut-scene, isn't it? Everything begins and ends with the story, so I can think of no reason to make it more difficult for the player to get through the "platforming" sections. Failing, and being forced to replay them would only make the game a more tedious overall experience, I think.

Yeah but at that point you could say the same thing about the shooting. The game should never be in the way of the story, they should complement each other.

Again, I'm fine with the traversal the way it currently works. I'm just saying it could be more "gamey" and the game wouldn't suffer for it. On the contrary, it would be better. At least better than looking for crates or carts to push over and over.

Javin98

Banned

Not true, I'm a big Uncharted fan and UC4 is my new favorite game of all time. It's just divisive among the fans, I guess. I will never understand why some people only consider the shooting bits as "gameplay" though. Perhaps it's because I don't mind "walking simulators". Either way, when the dialogue and presentations are second to none in video games, I don't know why anyone would complain about the down times and quiet moments. Just my two cents.

Afrodium

Banned
Perfect timing for this thread as I just completed the game yesterday. Overall I’m feeling conflicted. I’ll admit I’m not the biggest Uncharted fan. The first game is dated, the second is the best but I do think it’s overrated, and I honestly don’t remember 3 that much. Halfway through the game I thought that ND had finally perfected the formula. I didn’t mind the slow pace at all. Hell, I found the previous games to rely too much on combat and appreciated that UC4 felt confident enough to simply let Drake wander around interesting locales without needing to get into a shootout every two minutes. I was engaged by the story and genuinely enjoyed travelling the globe with these characters in search of Avery’s treasure.

However, as the game continued the illusion faded and I started to realize that the game was largely an interactive movie. Outside of combat encounters you’re largely just pushing forward through the clearly marked climbing paths while listening to banter between Sam and Nate. Occasionally this is broken up by a ‘puzzle’ where you’ll have to wander the environment in search of button prompts. If you can’t find the item you’re looking for within a minute or two then your partner will just find it for you. Maybe then you’ll have a short shootout and then climb some more stuff afterwards, which will surely break and lead to a thinly disguised quick-time event where you’ll have to throw your rope or jump to some rocks jutting out from a cliff-side. All of these complaints could be lobbed at any other Uncharted game, but because 4 spent so much time with the non-combat elements the tropes of the traversal system became really apparent to the point of making it mundane. This could have been solved without the need for more combat encounters though. More puzzles, better puzzles, incentive to explore beyond meaningless trinkets, something else to make the non-combat sections not feel so samey and monotonous. It feels like they wanted to make a quieter, slower Uncharted but weren’t willing to change the formula at all in order to service the type of game they wanted to make.

At the same time, I can’t fault an Uncharted game for being an interactive movie too much as that’s largely what they’ve always been. This game offered me a fun few days and a satisfying narrative about Nathan Drake hunting treasure, which is pretty much what I was looking for. It’s not a masterpiece by any stretch, but it’s not significantly worse than any other Uncharted game, if worse at all.

I didn't quite like the epilogue. It sealed the franchise in an unwanted way. Too much happiness. I wanted Uncharted 5 to begin with a washed up, unshaven Drake in a seedy Mexican resort town addicted to drugs, sex and booze after Elena left him because he couldnt keep himself away from adventuring. Sully finds him again for "one last job".

/Fanfic.

Prologue

2, 3 and 4 all have the same overarching structure.

You get shuffled from locale to locale narrowly staying one step ahead of the villain and everytime you solve a puzzle or find a clue that nate thinks will get him the treasure, he's off scurrying to a new locale only to be greated with more puzzles and clues. Then at some point he gets caught by the villain, this allows the villains to basically thank nate for doing all the hard work now that they know exactly where they need to be going, Then the final act is nate playing catch up trying to cut the villian off at the pass before they do whatever heinous thing they plan to do.

I guess I need to play the other three games again sometime, which I wouldn't mind at all. It just seemed much more apparent in this game.

I felt this too, and I think it was an intended effect from the developers. (Vague plot spoilers ahead)

The developers are underlining with gameplay how futile, pointless and dangerous this endless treasure hunting is. This is a large part of the narrative , but is also cleverly conveyed through gameplay with all the near deaths of the characters and so many "the princess is in another castle" twists. They basically want us to ask the question, is it all worth it ?

Hmmmm, thats an incredibly insightful post and makes me feel completely different. Does anyone else agree that was the intention of the developers?

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
The game should never be in the way of the story, they should complement each other.

Absolutely, and I think in this game they do compliment each other, almost perfectly.

I will admit that I probably did have to find another crate to jump up on and reach a higher ledge a couple times too many. Maybe they should have thrown in finding planks to get across a couple of big gaps, just to mix things up a bit :)

Certinty

Best Uncharted game by far for me, pretty much amazing in every way from story to graphics.

Only issue I had was the awful shooting mechanics, felt like a step backwards from The Last of Us.

I preferred the pacing and the gameplay mechanics in this one by a very long margin. It is also better written than the other Uncharted games, and has the best antagonists in the series. Excellent work by Naughty Dog!

hbkdx12

Hmmmm, thats an incredibly insightful post and makes me feel completely different. Does anyone else agree that was the intention of the developers?

I love ND and uncharted as much as the next but there's no way in hell i'm buying that. For starters, given that the core gameplay is the same from UC1 with iterative refinements, this suggests ND was playing the long con all the way back from UC1.

Secondly, UC4 makes no qualms about impressing on you how much Drake isn't in it for the treasure even though he does miss the thrill. There are multiple times throughout the story where Drake is more than willing to pull back and call it quits on the whole thing. The whole story does what UC3 tried to do but failed at miserably; It makes drake realize how nonsensical all the treasure hunting is by actually seeing it from a different perspective and actually caring for the people in his life. Drake is to Sam what Sully has been to Drake in the previous games in that he rather not do it but he's not going to let him go at it alone and get himself killed.

So no, i don't think ND was being super meta by conveying messages through gameplay

Not looking to start an argument, but that's honestly quite an insulting way to dismiss the many people (like myself) who feel this is a special game.

It takes a whole lot more than some shiny graphics to win me over. Believe me.

Not wanting to start one either, but I think the slow pace is the reason why I think that. Enjoying the enviroment is great in UC4, because it looks great and feels well designed. The enemy encounters are far too few though in my opinion.
I don't want to boil it down and thus troll, by saying it's a walking simiulator, but a lot of passages is narrative exposition and charcter building, while walking and exploring.

Playing the game for the first time this is all quite nice, but going for a second play through, especially once other titles outshine Uncharted 4 in the graphics department, or to be blunt, once Uncharted 4 will look ugly to us, it will be... well a chore. At least to me. The traversal offer too little challenge and the exploring offer none at all, unless you are trying to platinum it and find every hidden treasure.

It's an excellent game for it's time, but I think it's one that by design will not be as enjoyable a second time through, even though the enemy encounters offer a lot more options and variety. Unfortunately they are sprinkled in far too sparsely.

Not true, I'm a big Uncharted fan and UC4 is my new favorite game of all time. It's just divisive among the fans, I guess. I will never understand why some people only consider the shooting bits as "gameplay" though. Perhaps it's because I don't mind "walking simulators". Either way, when the dialogue and presentations are second to none in video games, I don't know why anyone would complain about the down times and quiet moments. Just my two cents.

Add two more cents to that pile.

Top Bottom