• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Xenoblade Chronicles aka It's Dunban Time (full spoilers)

Jarmel

Banned
i6gdxaCv1VNRV.jpg
So I just finished a high percentage run-through of Xenoblade. It's taken me about a full year mostly because I'll stop and go but I decided this week to just knock the game out. I was planning on doing a full 99%/100% playthrough but I realized I have way too large of a backlog to just dump another 20+ hours in this game to get the final 10% of quests/achievements, after I've already dumped close to 110 hours already into the game. I suppose I should start off by saying that the last RPG I've liked this much was the original KOTOR. I play JRPGs every now and then but I feel this is one of the strongest I've played in a long while. It does have its faults, which I'll explain in a bit, but they're relatively minor and don't really detract from the game.
Narration: The game for the most part uses a lot of tropes such as your mentor betraying you, the chosen one, the value of teamwork/friendship, the MC dying/reviving, and fighting god at the end. By itself, there's nothing particularly novel about the story other than the world itself but what makes it so enjoyable is the execution in of itself. It's a really well told story even if it's lacking in originality and for me, that's the most important thing. The larger themes such as fate and free will are also present from the beginning and stay a major constant up till the very end. The game does a remarkable job dissecting that theme through the larger story but also the smaller narrative bumps. Oh to be sure there are definitely some surprises along the way that really help to prevent the narrative from ever feeling stale. The two big ones of course being Fiora's 'death' and the High Entia transforming. Not only is the story well put together on a larger framework standpoint but the cutscenes themselves are also framed excellently. The cutscenes did a wonderful job of showing either the scale, tension, or desperation needed in certain climaxes. Two examples in particular that stick in my mind are the opening battle in Sword Valley with Dunban and Dickson's final goodbye bit at the top of Prison Island.
I should say one element that the story really excels, is in the world-building. A large part of that is due to the player's own exploration in that when a player finds a hidden alcove, it really adds to the sense of scale of the world but also making it believable as a place. In addition, going to places like Mechonis give an 'epic' feeling to the story in that it doesn't feel restrictive or limited in the narrative it's trying to tell. The setting itself is also unique and it really gives a distinctive flavor to the game, when you're traveling up a 'god's leg'. Smaller touches like having high level enemies in low level areas really make the world come alive as it feels organic.
I did have a bit of an issue with Dickson's heel turn though as it feels way too hard. There is some stuff that does flesh out/characterize their relationship even after Dickson's betrayal but it still comes off too sharply. The other issue I had was with Melia in that she gets left in the wayside after Fiora comes back and while she does get some scenes, she's the apparent third-wheel in the Shulk-Fiora relationship. That's a larger issue I have with the story actually in that quite a few of the characters get left in the wayside when all is said and done.
Characters: Shulk wasn't that bad of a main character despite him yelling "FIORA!" a bit too many times. He feels like your generic lead for the most part except for the fact that he's a scientist, something I'm sure was foreshadowing for Zanza. I never really felt that he was obnoxious though and he does have enough of a personality so that the cutscenes don't feel like a drag. While researching the title I came across this interview that discusses Shulk a bit:
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Asks/Iwata-Asks-Xenoblade-Chronicles/Vol-2-Story/3-A-Hero-Who-Wouldn-t-be-Hated/3-A-Hero-Who-Wouldn-t-be-Hated-206797.html said:
Takeda: As I usually work on writing for TV and films, I know that the most effective weapon in the scenario writer’s arsenal is the element of surprise.
Iwata: Certainly, when something surprising happens, it grabs the viewer. Usually, if things go precisely as they had expected, they won’t be moved.
Takeda: Right. That’s why you can say that, to some degree, half hour TV programmes are constructed using the element of surprise and the betrayal of expectations.
Iwata: Constructed from ‘surprise and ‘betrayal’... That’s an interesting way of putting it! (laughs)
Takeda: Right, but what I’ve felt when actually playing games myself was that when the hero goes against your wishes, by saying something you didn’t want them to say, or betraying you with some action you didn’t want to do, you’ll feel like: ‘Hey! That’s not what I wanted to happen...’
Iwata: So you’re saying there are instances where the character - who had been you up until that point - suddenly becomes someone else.
Takeda: That’s just it. I’ve been a gamer for decades now, and I’ve often felt like that. That’s why I didn’t use ‘betrayal’ in that way. I avoided using ‘betrayal’ and ‘the element of surprise’ in relation to the words and actions coming from the hero himself, and decided to use them only in the varying events that occurred in the exterior world. As it was the first time I had the opportunity to be so deeply involved in a single title, I was especially conscious of these issues as I was coming up with the story.
Takahashi: It’s something I’ve felt about my own games, of course, as well as games by other people. Essentially, the heroes and heroines in RPGs often end up being disliked. Naturally, there are well-loved characters too, but I’d say that in general, they end up being hated. I think it comes from the huge emotional investment the player has made in the hero or heroine.
Iwata: So that’s the flip side of love. Precisely because players care so much about them, this can all too easily turn to hatred. But this time, you set yourself the challenge of avoiding this.
Takahashi: Right. We really paid a lot of attention to this issue. Actually, just prior to this interview, I got the staff at Mario Club8 to give me their impressions of the hero, and it turns out that none of them disliked him in the slightest. In fact, they had felt affection towards the hero and his companions throughout. I was incredibly happy when I heard that.
I'm not a huge fan of this, I would rather the writers create a story where not everybody might like a character, but that there is some sort of purpose to the character, in the story that the author is trying to tell. I would rather deal with an annoying character that develops than a character everybody likes. I feel that this shouldn't be a major goal for an author, that of trying to make characters that everybody is happy with, because then you just get something vapid. I don't think you should go out of your way to make them either likable or dislikable but rather try to make them as naturalistic as possible. I'm sure some people disagree with me but I would say that part of having a strong personality means rubbing a few people the wrong way. I'm sure Yuri, from Tales of Vesperia, angered a few players with his decision to
kill one of the minor villains

Dunban for example is the clear highlight of the party in that he's got the old-man swagger on lock and he serves as the emotional core of the group moreso than Shulk. Dunban also probably has the most ties to the villains as a whole, so the story feels a bit more personal for him. The events in the game and why Dunban is participating, feels like a natural element of the story as a whole. I wasn't a huge fan of Reyn or Riki as I found neither to be remotely as funny as the creators imagined them to be. They're both supposed to serve as comedic material and neither clicked with me. I view the best stuff for Reyn to be his interactions with Sharla. Then there's Fiora who became much more likable at the end of the game compared to the start as she's stronger as an individual. I felt she became less a damsel-in-distress but her own individual. I also think the Meyneth storyline really helped in giving her something substantial to do compared to Sharla and Melia near the end. Melia just gets shat on the entire game and never really breaks out of that princess shell for the most part. I felt so bad for her at times because it's just non-stop for her.
I really liked the character designs for the most part, even Riki's. It had a sort of anime-ish feel to them, similar to FF at times. The characters were all fairly distinct in their design and it was clear what their roles were. I would say the facial character models were pretty low resolution but it wasn't bad enough to be a real sticking issue for me. The British VA cast brought something different to the table and for this reason, I'm glad this was localized in Europe first.
Art Direction: Really strong throughout the game. Each area has its own distinctive feel and stuff like being inside the Bionis really feel unique because of how great the art direction. For example inside the Bionis, there are all these tendrils all throughout the lungs and cells floating everywhere which give it a really organic feel. Even the flooring itself feels alive to accentuate how the Bionis is reviving. Then there's the Mechonis which is just full of gears everywhere which reminded me of a clock. Despite the game being so massive, each area feels unique and has its own personality. The art direction really helped the world feel alive.
Let me just say that the final level is fucking gorgeous. The last level that left an impression on me like this was Fate/Extra's final level where something sorta of similar happened. I really wasn't expecting something like this and it really left a wow impression on me. It's super clean and the visuals leave you with a really strong lasting impression. I'm really happy that I played this game with Dolphin as the high resolution allows me to appreciate the how awesome the art is.
Music: I'm sure you guys are fully aware of how great the OST is. I recently finished Nier and while it's not as 'heavy' as Nier's, it's not only amazing at being atmospheric but also all of the larger moments. The only track that I think fails at what it tries to be is The God-Slaying Sword, it's not bad but it's not as good as I want it to be. It's the usual 'final boss' music and didn't really stand out to me despite the vocal use. The rest though is top-notch especially the stuff in Mechonis. I would say Takahashi succeeded on the front that the music does feel cohesive and it never felt like the work of a group of composers.
Might as well list my top picks;
Colony 6[Future]
To The Last Battle(oh lawd this one in particular)
Engage the Enemy
Central Factory
Gameplay: The combat felt like an improved version of the Tales system in that there is a very large strategic element but also a heavy dependency on number crunching for max damage. I really enjoyed the real-time aspect to the combat as it helped prevent the fights from becoming stale, even when I was overpowered against a certain enemy. The system also allows for you to go against enemies much stronger than you and with the proper strategy, prevail. That said, there were a few weird difficulty spikes but nothing too outrageous. One issue I did have though was the fact that the player could only control the lead in combat. I would have loved to been able to switch between the combat trio and I think that would have helped to create even more complexity to the system. In a game largely about freedom, this felt weirdly restrictive.

Xenoblade is bloated with sidequests though, I tried to do all of them but gave up as it's just a soul-less endeavor. I think this game has more quests than SWTOR. I appreciate the overwhelming amount of content but it also feels too much at a sorta point. This might be fine if most of them were interesting on a storytelling level but quite a few have you picking up some sort of material or killing X number of monsters. That's one thing I hated about this game is how you collect certain types of material in that it's completely random so that becomes a huge timesink. It's really frustrating when you can't control something like that than the game requests that you go out and find five of whatever, that Heart Peach quest really pissed me off. There's also the Advanced Art Books which require a ton of grinding, oh god.

That said, I have to give props about how the quests are handled. I very much appreciate that I don't have to go back and hand in all of the quests and the game noting when you collected an item for a future quest was extremely useful. There's also the quick travel/landmark system which allowed me to quickly go all over the place, which made some of the quests more bearable than they would have been otherwise.
Conclusion: At the end of the day, I feel the two words that sum the game best up is freedom and scale. The player is granted the freedom to go wherever they want in a world that is brimming with scale. There is a 'larger than life' element that is present all throughout the game and it really makes it feel like a big (and long) journey. There was still stuff I was learning at the very end of my playthrough, such as using Melia, it always felt like I was broadening my horizons.

Dead

well not really...yet
I'm on my 2nd playthrough at the moment

It strikes me as a JRPG that has the qualities of the classics of the 32 bit era, but expanded into something larger than life. It's an amazing world spanning adventure, memorable and likeable characters, involving gameplay, story that constantly ups the stakes and scale...

I think it really is the best JRPG since the PSone days

Great analysis OP, Xenoblade is one of my favorite games ever. I'm gonna play it again when I can build a PC and install dolphin. I personally didn't do the side quests, as they felt like a waste of time to me, but I might try to do some when I play again. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember being able to freely switch between characters in battle? I might just be remembering wrong.

You're wrong about one thing though OP. The best track in the game is this one

Great write up for my favourite game of the gen. I love almost everything about this game. I was thinking of doing another playthrough to do all the quests but you don't seem to recommend it :p

Dead

well not really...yet
Great analysis OP, Xenoblade is one of my favorite games ever. I'm gonna play it again when I can build a PC and install dolphin. I personally didn't do the side quests, as they felt like a waste of time to me, but I might try to do some when I play again. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember being able to freely switch between characters in battle? I might just be remembering wrong.

You're wrong about one thing though OP. The best track in the game is this one
The whole concepts of Giants living on the Bionis before the Homs is something you find out through side quests, way before Prison Island. There's actually a good deal of worldbuilding that you discover through the side quests, whether it's dialog with the NPCs or discovering areas that you otherwise might not notice/visit.

wrowa

The setting is just stunning. The idea of a civilzation that developed on two fighting gods is just the kind of fascinating brillance Japanese developers were famous for once upon a time.

Nbz

Didn't fully read the OP as I'm currently about 65 hours in on my playthrough, so am trying to avoid end game spoilers, but holy crap has this been a ride and a half. I've gotten to a point where everything seems to be building to a crazy climax and am very excited to see how things play out.

Boney

Banned
I'm playing through it right now, and I'm probably around 20% in, got to that forest on my way to Bionis head.

I'm liking it a lot, but it is incredibly complex and I think I still have issues wrapping my head around everything, plus I'm short on cash, so haven't been able to buy many upgrade skills thingies.

It's been great so far and I know I'm only scratching the surface.

I fucking despise visible equipment though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The game is awesome...right up until its not. The endgame drags on for waaaaay too long.

"Hey, you know all of those wide open areas with lots of quests sprawling vistas you could visit and secrets that are why you fell in love with this game? Fuck that! Spend the last twenty hours running through a handful of mostly linear areas wailing on annoying enemies until the final boss"

The whole concepts of Giants living on the Bionis before the Homs is something you find out through side quests, way before Prison Island. There's actually a good deal of worldbuilding that you discover through the side quests, whether it's dialog with the NPCs or discovering areas that you otherwise might not notice/visit.

yeah I'll definitely pay more attention in my next playthrough

What an amazing game with wonderful world building. It's a shame the sequel doesn't seem to have the same level of world building but since it's not out yet, I'll reserve judgment.

I also finished it this past weekend. Warning that I'm openly posting spoilers in this post (but to be honest, if you cared about the plot, why did you click a thread with "full spoilers" in the title?).

It's not without its flaws; notably, I felt it started to kinda drag around Mechonis, although that might be because I was dreading all my Alcamoth sidequests shutting down permanently. Comparing armor and weaponry can be kind of annoying since the game applies your gems to the comparison and doesn't make it simple to swap the gems of an old item out into the new one. Running into item capacity caps was really annoying, putting a dash in my hopes that there was enough room in my inventory to hold at least one of everything (there really isn't), and having to do the Gem minigame for a few hours to clear out inventory space for crystals could get tedious (for as fun as the Gem minigame can be). A lot of the sidequests were filler or required me to know explicitly where a certain character would be and when, which was a tad annoying. The plot kinda takes a completely different tone after Mechonis Core, once Zanza makes his appearance, for better or worse. The plot twist in the ending where it's like "this was Earth all along! Well, after Klaus/Zanza accidentally blew up the universe for being too impulsive and had to remake it all from scratch with Meyneth" didn't really do it for me - I think I liked it more when it was its own, entirely self-contained thing with no ties to the real world.

But all in all? I really liked it. The combat mechanics felt fresh - physical placement playing such a huge role, normal attacks happening automatically letting you concentrate on juggling the cooldown timers and correct character placement for all your Arts. The setting was unique - while I kinda wish they finished Bionis's Shoulder, since that'd probably have sold me on the "yeah, you're on a giant" aspect a lot more and would've been a more interesting transition from Makna Forest to Eryth Sea than a Nopon teleporting you through some water in the sky, the concept still led to some interesting design choices to justify how every environment worked within the context of "hey, this is on a giant, y'know". The plot-twists were very well-handled - even knowing some of them were coming (I knew Fiora wasn't dead, that Mumkhar was Metal-Face, and that Zanza wasn't the benevolent figure he was making himself out to be), they still managed to hook me, and I managed to still keep some plot twists fresh (Fiora's "death", Dickson's betrayal, Zanza basically turning into Bishounen-Shulk, the true nature of the High Entia, pretty much everything surrounding Alvis). I can't really knock it, and am glad to have had the experience, even with its quirks.

I'm rather looking forward to the (pretty good) chance that Shulk is in Smash Bros., now. Sakurai ain't gonna spoil this game for me at this point, that's for sure.

Now this is the kind of LTTP thread I like to see! I see some nowadays where the person has played an hour, or in some cases is asking if they should even start playing it at all.

Anyway, great game that I initially didn't like much. Took me two restarts before it finally clicked. I think one of the main draws for me was to unravel the intricate plot and discover the truths of why the world was how it was. Sometimes I wasn't even playing for the gameplay, but to see what neat plot twist would happen next. Some people discount the story as "typical shonen anime tropes". Guess I am glad I don't watch much anime because I thought it was damn enjoyable sci fi.

Thinking about it kinda makes me want to start it again for a second playthrough. Ridiculous amount of stuff I never got around to.

It really is one of the best RPGs of the last few years. It's got one of those settings that when you read the synopsis you can't help but be excited at the possibilities.

Riki

What an amazing game with wonderful world building. It's a shame the sequel doesn't seem to have the same level of world building but since it's not out yet, I'll reserve judgment.

Why wouldn't there be world building? All of Neo LA is being built from the beginning. You can bet you'll do quests to help build it up as well.
Cross seems to be doing everything XB did and infinitely more.

EulaCapra

Dunban for example is the clear highlight of the party in that he's got the old-man swagger on lock and he serves as the emotional core of the group moreso than Shulk. Dunban also probably has the most ties to the villains as a whole, so the story feels a bit more personal for him. The events in the game and why Dunban is participating, feels like a natural element of the story as a whole. I wasn't a huge fan of Reyn or Riki as I found neither to be remotely as funny as the creators imagined them to be. They're both supposed to serve as comedy material and neither clicked with me. I view the best stuff for Reyn to be his interactions with Sharla. Then there's Fiora who became much more likable at the end of the game compared to the start as she's stronger as an individual. I felt she became less a damsel-in-distress but her own individual. I also think the Meyneth storyline really helped in giving her something substantial to do compared to Sharla and Melia near the end. Melia just gets shat on the entire game and never really breaks out of that princess shell for the most part. I felt so bad for her at times because it's just non-stop for her.
Could not even disagree more. Dunban to me was the most dispensable in the group. And that's fine since he's the most level-headed. But for me he's always in the background not standing out unless I'm stripping him and Reyn of their armor. :wink wink:

I have my bars set incredibly low for humor when it comes to video games that use a lot of dialogue, so I found Reyn and Riki charming enough. I like how non-stereotypical they are too. Reyn is a gung-ho jock, but he's charming and awkward too. Riki would typically be your cute furry sidekick with no baggage and there for the humor, but he's also a father doing it for the money for his kids while happening to be a cute furball.

And Melia IMO was the most anti-stereotypical of the group. She's level-headed and doesn't resort to yelling a lot, she got out of a love triangle respectfully, made besties with the other woman (Fiora), and the new HBIC in charge which is especially nice considering she's a half-blood. And she didn't need to stinkin' man in her life to validate her story. She got her own side story!

Yeah, X seems to be all about building a world; given Earth kinda blew up, gotta live somewhere.

I'm more curious about where the two alien races come into play there, and if that flash of a guy who looks like Shulk in the first trailer was implying any kind of connection (I rather doubt it, given that Earth can't be destroyed in a universe-ending/-creating flash of light only to somehow exist to be destroyed again in an interstellar war it wasn't even involved in - it's a biiiit inconsistent).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Nice OP! Been chipping away off and on for two years now...I think I am around 45 hours in and just moved past the Makna Forest. Much of the gametime has been spent on sidequests.

I do feel I have to relearn so many mechanics again every revisit since months tend to go by between sessions. Some recent questions from my last session:

1)Equipment/Inventory. I finally reached a point where I can no longer store new items/gems/whatever. What should I be doing to free up space? Sell off low-level gems? Is there a fusion mechanic I completely forgot about to bundle low-level gems into higher ones? Animal parts and other mats also. I'm overloaded now and its been so long since my last play that I actually didn't know if it was safe to offload them or concern over future use.

2)Team-link combat ability thing. I roll with the starter three for Reyn's tanking abilities and the sniper lady's healing/stat spells. When I build up the meter the game keeps yelling at me to do a team-link, but when I do, I can't seem to figure out a solid set of chain abilities between these three characters to make it effective. I am unclear if you can even switch the order while it is happening to take better advantage of the Break->Topple ->etc... ordering. Just feels I am missing something from the tutorials I did years back...

3)Monado special abilities. Very situational...half of them sit unused for long stretches, making me wonder if I also had forgotten some key competent to their use beyond the obvious(Mechon damage, et al.). Actually it feels like I only really use the damage shield when time stops and warns me of big damage...and even then I am unclear if I am doing it right.

So many answers could be rectified if I just restarted I suppose(and didn't take long stretches of inactivity playing), but maybe GAF can help with insight first to avoid doing so.

Seik

Banned
Spoiler thread, alright.

JRPG of last gen, no contest. Still playing it again and again even after investing at least 160 hours in it.

I love the story, the characters. The graphics are awesome for the Wii, the soundtrack is impeccable.

I'm currently playing it on Dolphin w/ Texture Pack. Simply amazing.

xenoq9jpc.png

xemp4gtjkf.png

It's one of these games I'd like to replay for the first time once again, I was so hype and it delivered so much.

Now this is the kind of LTTP thread I like to see! I see some nowadays where the person has played an hour, or in some cases is asking if they should even start playing it at all.

Anyway, great game that I initially didn't like much. Took me two restarts before it finally clicked. I think one of the main draws for me was to unravel the intricate plot and discover the truths of why the world was how it was. Sometimes I wasn't even playing for the gameplay, but to see what neat plot twist would happen next. Some people discount the story as "typical shonen anime tropes". Guess I am glad I don't watch much anime because I thought it was damn enjoyable sci fi.

Thinking about it kinda makes me want to start it again for a second playthrough. Ridiculous amount of stuff I never got around to.

hell, I watch a good amount of shounen anime and I still enjoyed Xenoblade's story.

a couple questions to re jog my memory:

Alvis was originally a computer on the space station thing, but then he turned into the Monado or something. How is it explained how he's actually the Monado and Zanza's not, cuz Zanza and Dickson said he (Zanza) was the Monado.

also, looking back, why was Zanza so much stronger than Meyneth when they fight in the Mechonis core? Was it just because Fiora's body was weak or because Meyneth wasn't in her original body?

EDIT: The post above is what makes me want to play this on Dolphin.

hell, I watch a good amount of shounen anime and I still enjoyed Xenoblade's story.

a couple questions to re jog my memory:

Alvis was originally a computer on the space station thing, but then he turned into the Monado or something. How is it explained how he's actually the Monado and Zanza's not, cuz Zanza and Dickson said he (Zanza) was the Monado.

also, looking back, why was Zanza so much stronger than Meyneth when they fight in the Mechonis core? Was it just because Fiora's body was weak or because Meyneth wasn't in her original body?

EDIT: The post above is what makes me want to play this on Dolphin.

I could be mistaken (and someone should correct me) as it's been a long time, but even though I know the line "I am Monado" and Shulk calling Alvis the Monado at the end are there, I don't see Alvis as the actual physical sword/Monado. I don't think Alvis meant "I am THE Monado" when he said "I am Monado." He meant "Monado" as in those types of weapons that could control ether. I think Alvis is the "key" (he even has a key around his neck) to the Monados working. I think Zanza's and Meyneth's souls were linked to their respective Monados, but they were simply the keys that communicated with Alvis for their "creation" powers to work (and to see into the future). Or... Zanza and Meyneth were just given their Monados by Alvis when the universe was born to be the new "gods"/guardians and their souls had no direct link to those actual physical objects. I think it's more likely the latter because at the end, Shulk creates his own Monado (assuming here that Alvis allowed that to happen), and I don't think that particular sword is linked to Shulk's soul. Also, Zanza obviously didn't have a clue what was really going on, so he was completely mistaken about himself being the Monado when Shulk and co were told that. He didn't even realize who/what Alvis was until the very end.

Your second question... I'm not really sure - it could have just been because she was in Fiora's body and still resting.

(just my own speculation which is probably incorrect since I haven't played the game in a while lol)

Jarmel

Banned
Here's another screenshot, I have like a dozen that I didn't use in the OP. I highly advise people to play it in Dolphin, even if it's somewhat difficult for you. The game is worth playing at something higher than 480p even if the textures are iffy at times.
The game is awesome...right up until its not. The endgame drags on for waaaaay too long.

"Hey, you know all of those wide open areas with lots of quests sprawling vistas you could visit and secrets that are why you fell in love with this game? Fuck that! Spend the last twenty hours running through a handful of mostly linear areas wailing on annoying enemies until the final boss"

Yea there really isn't anything as open as the earlier segments but I'm fine with that as the game is so insanely large.
The Mechonis capital is probably the last somewhat open area and at that point I was starting to get tired of the game as it can feel too large at times, especially when you're doing all the sidequests. The inside of the Bionis had some branching segments though. Prison Island is the last dungeon so I didn't really expect a large sprawling area.

I also finished it this past weekend. Warning that I'm openly posting spoilers in this post (but to be honest, if you cared about the plot, why did you click a thread with "full spoilers" in the title?).

It's not without its flaws; notably, I felt it started to kinda drag around Mechonis, although that might be because I was dreading all my Alcamoth sidequests shutting down permanently. Comparing armor and weaponry can be kind of annoying since the game applies your gems to the comparison and doesn't make it simple to swap the gems of an old item out into the new one. Running into item capacity caps was really annoying, putting a dash in my hopes that there was enough room in my inventory to hold at least one of everything (there really isn't), and having to do the Gem minigame for a few hours to clear out inventory space for crystals could get tedious (for as fun as the Gem minigame can be).
I definitely agree on the item cap limit. That was a big pain in the ass for me.
A lot of the sidequests were filler or required me to know explicitly where a certain character would be and when, which was a tad annoying. The plot kinda takes a
completely different tone after Mechonis Core, once Zanza makes his appearance, for better or worse. The plot twist in the ending where it's like "this was Earth all along! Well, after Klaus/Zanza accidentally blew up the universe for being too impulsive and had to remake it all from scratch with Meyneth" didn't really do it for me - I think I liked it more when it was its own, entirely self-contained thing with no ties to the real world.

I'll be frank, I had to use a guide on some of the sidequests because I didn't know where certain people would be. I understand it makes for a dynamic world but it's annoying as hell when you just want to cash something in or grab a quest. I should also mention that I liked the idea of the Affection tree stuff, problem is that it takes *way* too long to fill up.

Also yea in regards to the Zanza stuff, I'm starting to realize how common of a trope that is, one that I really don't like.

1)Equipment/Inventory. I finally reached a point where I can no longer store new items/gems/whatever. What should I be doing to free up space? Sell off low-level gems? Is there a fusion mechanic I completely forgot about to bundle low-level gems into higher ones? Animal parts and other mats also. I'm overloaded now and its been so long since my last play that I actually didn't know if it was safe to offload them or concern over future use.

2)Team-link combat ability thing. I roll with the starter three for Reyn's tanking abilities and the sniper lady's healing/stat spells. When I build up the meter the game keeps yelling at me to do a team-link, but when I do, I can't seem to figure out a solid set of chain abilities between these three characters to make it effective. I am unclear if you can even switch the order while it is happening to take better advantage of the Break->Topple ->etc... ordering. Just feels I am missing something from the tutorials I did years back...

3)Monado special abilities. Very situational...half of them sit unused for long stretches, making me wonder if I also had forgotten some key competent to their use beyond the obvious(Mechon damage, et al.). Actually it feels like I only really use the damage shield when time stops and warns me of big damage...and even then I am unclear if I am doing it right.

So many answers could be rectified if I just restarted I suppose(and didn't take long stretches of inactivity playing), but maybe GAF can help with insight first to avoid doing so.

1)Start filling in your Collector's book thing. It doesn't automatically fill up so select it in the menu and go through it. Also start selling off any low level items and weapons. Yes there is a fusion system but not for the gems themselves but the crystals.

2)In order to properly use the Team link, the attacks have to be the same color like pink>pink>pink. Afterwhich you can't use that same attack so you have to plan your teams accordingly. I never really used the team link as I kept in reserve in case somebody in my team got KO'd.

3)The only good ones are the damage protection ones, like armor or the enemy talent prevention one. Some of the Monado stuff I stopped using late in the game.

I could be mistaken (and someone should correct me) as it's been a long time,
but even though I know the line "I am Monado" and Shulk calling Alvis the Monado at the end are there, I don't see Alvis as the actual physical sword/Monado. I don't think Alvis meant "I am THE Monado" when he said "I am Monado." He meant "Monado" as in those types of weapons that could control ether. I think Alvis is the "key" (he even has a key around his neck) to the Monados working. I think Zanza's and Meyneth's souls were linked to their respective Monados, but they were simply the keys that communicated with Alvis for their "creation" powers to work (and to see into the future). Or... Zanza and Meyneth were just given their Monados by Alvis when the universe was born to be the new "gods"/guardians and their souls had no direct link to those actual physical objects. I think it's more likely the latter because at the end, Shulk creates his own Monado (assuming here that Alvis allowed that to happen), and I don't think that particular sword is linked to Shulk's soul. Also, Zanza obviously didn't have a clue what was really going on, so he was completely mistaken about himself being the Monado when Shulk and co were told that. He didn't even realize who/what Alvis was until the very end.

I would say that
Alvis is correct in that he's the Monado. It's sort of like the Holy Trinity in Christianity. All are separate but are one at the same time. The two Monados only exist because Alvis 'allows' it. Alvis is the true god if you will and he granted powers to Zanza and Meyneth who became Bionis and Mechonis. That's why Shulk has the Third Monado because Alvis 'gives' Shulk the power. He was the AI who created this new universe but really only observes it.

Seik

Banned
Your second question... I'm not really sure - it could have just been because she was in Fiora's body and still resting.

(just my own speculation which is probably incorrect since I haven't played the game in a while lol)

That could be true, imo.

If she stayed in Fiora during all this fight, it was to protect her, I think. She believed in her, Shulk & co. to lead the world to a better place.

She only came out to take the bullet and die. :(

EDIT: You guys don't have to use spoiler tags, it's in the title that it's a full spoilers thread. :p

EDIT: lol, and that's you, OP. :D

Jarmel

Banned
EDIT: You guys don't have to use spoiler tags, it's in the title that it's a full spoilers thread. :p

There are people in here that haven't finished the game and wanted gameplay info. I have no clue why they came into a thread that had a spoiler warning on it but there you go. So I decided to just put spoiler tags on my response post in case they just wanted the gameplay info.

Seik

Banned
There are people in here that haven't finished the game and wanted gameplay info. I have no clue why they came into a thread that had a spoiler warning on it but there you go. So I decided to just put spoiler tags on my response post in case they just wanted the gameplay info.

I hear ya, I don't understand either though. XD

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
what a massive OP, that's a LTTP thread.
I adored Xenoblade, played it during all summer 2011, along with Skyward Sword it's been the highlight of a stellar gaming generation and my GOTG. From the breathtaking setting to the fantastic combat system, from the music to the stellar graphics, from fantastic characters (Reyn, Sharla, Dunban, Riki!) to giant amount of sidequests, from immensely smart design decisions like: fast travel everywhere, customizable ingame clock...the game was about giving the player as much FREEDOM as possible, without sacrificing a gripping universe-spanning story without missing a beat during the massively long playtime. It's a game made with such extreme care you could think EAD was behind it, and I coudn't be more excited for the sequel...why does it have to be 2015??

random25

Story's linear so can't really do anything about it. But there are a lot of changes happened at the later part of the game, like
accessing areas of Tephra cave that you can't access before, opening new quests that have ramped up the difficulty, Eryth Sea and Alcamoth getting infested by Telethia, being able to open some sealed doors, etc.
So it's not like running around in a linear area for the last 20 hours. Even Mechonis and Bionis' interior have areas you can only discover when you explore beyond the path towards story bosses.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The XCX Treehouse footage nade me start playing. Wow. What a massive game. About 60 hours in. Really enjoying it.

ajim

Great write up dude.

Xenoblade was one of the more refreshing gaming experiences (along side Persona4Golden and the like) I've had in a long, long time.

So many feels and 'wow' moments throughout.

Can't wait for Xenoblade Chronicles X, I really hope it is as good. Big shoes to fill!!

Monolithsoft are technical wizards. They managed to pull off such large open areas without the framerate tanking.

Anyone who's played/interested in Xenoblade should also check out the new Monolith Soft game on the Wii U (Xenoblade X).

I would say that
Alvis is correct in that he's the Monado. It's sort of like the Holy Trinity in Christianity. All are separate but are one at the same time. The two Monados only exist because Alvis 'allows' it. Alvis is the true god if you will and he granted powers to Zanza and Meyneth who became Bionis and Mechonis. That's why Shulk has the Third Monado because Alvis 'gives' Shulk the power. He was the AI who created this new universe but really only observes it.
Yeah my interpretation is that the simulation became overwrote the universe, and Alvis as the AI governing the simulation pretty much became the true god of the new universe. However, because Alvis is an AI he lacks the vision and independent will to actually create a new world, and so he used Zanza and Mayneth, to two beings at the epicenter of the destruction and recreation as gods. Basically he takes their vision and executes them into reality. However, eventually Zanza's universe started to become stagnant and fall into decline (I believe Alvis said as much during the end), and so Alvis took an interest in Shulk as a potential new "god" to give a new vision of the world. It's important to note that Alvis didn't really take sides until Shulk won himself. He questioned Shulk and used his conflict with Zanza to judge whether Shulk could be suitable in sustaining the universe.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Yea, I am one of the unfinished folk(thanks for the responses to my gameplay questions too!). Don't really care about spoilers so no need to hide anything on my behalf.

Hell if anything, the crazy pics in the OP reignited my interest once again to dive back in! Many of those areas I have never seen posted anywhere on GAF or otherwise and look phenomenal!

Shengar

I bought second hand this for $100. Now I'm still waiting for my classic controller since I can't play without proper controller. Anyway, great write up, this'll be my first game when the controller arrived.

You're goddamn right it's Dunban Time!

Agree that they really left too many of the side characters (who were really good characters) hanging after the midway point to focus on other stuff story-wise. But the exploration is so good ...

Zebetite

Banned
I beat this game recently! I liked it a whole, whole darn lot. Like you said, the game has some incredible world-building. It's sense of place was the best a JRPG has had in a very long time. Memorable characters, great music-- all of the hallmarks of a great JRPG experience. The combat kept a pretty steadily entertaining pace, too.

The ending was batshit insane. I felt like I might have been on drugs.

I didn't like the game's voice acting one bit, though. It was charming for a few hours and it really quickly got on my nerves. The game has dual-audio, which is nice, but at the same time, characters' speech can serve as audio cues in battle and there's no subtitles for that, which made the combat suffer when I swapped audio tracks. It was kind of a lose-lose situation.

Lumyst

I suppose I should start off by saying that the last RPG I've liked this much was the original KOTOR. I play JRPGs every now and then but I feel this is one of the strongest I've played in a long while. It does have its faults, which I'll explain in a bit, but they're relatively minor and don't really detract from the game.

Interesting! Some of us in other threads have mentioned how we liked KOTOR, and also like Xenoblade (or see something appealing about Xenoblade in the case of one of the others who hasn't played Xenoblade yet) but I haven't really tried analyzing why that is. I just really liked KOTOR and held it as my most favorite RPG (the original one for the Xbox) and after playing Xenoblade, felt a similar strong sense of delight in what I played, which surprised me because I did not have significant experience with JRPGs before. I never replayed KOTOR (could be because I had to do some life-support surgery on my og Xbox to get through it) but Xenoblade, I'm on my third replay. And I could say that I hold Xenoblade as my favorite RPG now.

As for the faults I found, I think one thing I felt apprehensive about was that there was not much "direct interaction" with the environment. However, as a fan of reading, it was okay for me to read about the giants and visit their archeological locations, for example, and to feel that connection to the game's world and history by seeing the setting of the stories told through the side quests, even if much of it was told in words rather than things such as cutscenes. (That's what I think the value of some of the side quests were, that they provided a little more about the story of the game's world.)

Quite possibly my favorite if not 2nd favorite game of all time.

JRPG wise it did things that I would not expect a JRPG would do, Xenoblade is something more than a sum of it's parts, because they mesh so well together.

random25

I didn't like the game's voice acting one bit, though. It was charming for a few hours and it really quickly got on my nerves. The game has dual-audio, which is nice, but at the same time, characters' speech can serve as audio cues in battle and there's no subtitles for that, which made the combat suffer when I swapped audio tracks. It was kind of a lose-lose situation.

Subtitles during battles feels kind of awkward. Well, for as long as you know what actions they will execute regardless of what language they spoke to in battle, it does not matter much.

I think it's full of flaws, and yet Xenoblade Chronicles is probably my favorite game of all time. The world, characters, and music just grabbed me and didn't let me got for more than a hundred hours.

It's just so good, great thread btw, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Lumyst

Right, it's like, I recognize where things could be done better in the game, but the overall impact on me and probably other players was of immense enjoyment! I hope they really do polish up and extend on what they tried in Xenoblade, so far Xenoblade X looks like it'll do that, which is what most excites me about it.

Top Bottom