• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Xenoblade Chronicles aka It's Dunban Time (full spoilers)

I really appreciate an OP with a lot of effort put in. Xenoblade Chronicles was quite a ride indeed. It's one of those few games where I was able to get absorbed into its world and look back to it like I was on a holiday there.

Subtitles during battles feels kind of awkward. Well, for as long as you know what actions they will execute regardless of what language they spoke to in battle, it does not matter much.
I really enjoyed the English localisation more than any other voice acted localisation. The only problem I had was the frequency of when people talked in battle, but that was more an issue with the game itself than with the dub.

Jintor

I actually enjoyed how chatty they were. Dunno why. Some kind of persona leftover mentality maybe.

I love the english voice acting, more places need to dub over there, that shit was hype.

I actually enjoyed how chatty they were. Dunno why. Some kind of persona leftover mentality maybe.

I love the english voice acting, more places need to dub over there, that shit was hype.

I agree. It felt like an actual party, compared to other games where your party is completely or mostly silent outside of story scenes/cutscenes.

I also liked how a lot of it changes depending on who's in the party, also there's a lot that's based on context depending on how the battles is going/what happens.

TaiKH92

Banned
This game is so amazing, the music is incredible and the idea of travelling through a big god-titan being is so great, the environments are all incredible and I love the fast paced balttle system, definitely my favorite game overall. Great O.P btw.

Edit: I still listen to its soundtrack it's really good and get great memories from it even if I played the game not so long ago (late 2012-early 2013)

Absolutely loved this game. Got it without knowing much more about it than that it was an operation rainfall title, and a limited run available exclusively through Nintendo and a particular retailer. It was its relatively limited availability that convinced me: the rare case of the successful impulse buy. I didn't have any experience with JRPG's beyond Pokemon games, and I couldn't have picked a better starting point. I didn't even start playing it until I saw the hype here on GAF, months later. And then my Wii's optical drive died at Makna Forest. At this point I was hooked though, and it was just a matter of time before I came back. The opportunity to finish this game ended up being a large part of the reason that I bought a Wii U, with the announcement of XCX sealing the deal.

It was absolutely fantastic from start to finish, but the moment when the story really got it's hooks in me is the reason I'm so glad you liked Engage the Enemy, OP. In a game full of spectacular moments, the fight between Dunban and Mumkhar at the foot of Valak Mountain stands out as one of the most memorable moments of any game ever, for me. From there on it was an absolute non-stop marathon of action, revelation, and excitement. The story cliches didn't bother me in the slightest. The style with which the game carried itself made everything flow beautifully.

All of this flew so strongly in the face of my first impression. Upon seeing the opening cinematic, the first fight in Sword Valley, I was taken aback. I could not believe that people were so impressed by this. I've never been so happy to be wrong. The release of XCX cannot come soon enough.

A bad thing about location in the plot is the game has internal chapters but does not share these details with the player. The chapters are referenced within in-game files (cutscene voices) and the artbook. If the player was told about them it would be much easier to get an idea of how far you are (though a couple of chapters near the end are super short) and would make discussion far easier. Whenever a system save is the Xenoblade logo that indicates you are onto the next chapter but who counted those?

I'm more curious about where the two alien races come into play there, and if that flash of a guy who looks like Shulk in the first trailer was implying any kind of connection (I rather doubt it, given that Earth can't be destroyed in a universe-ending/-creating flash of light only to somehow exist to be destroyed again in an interstellar war it wasn't even involved in - it's a biiiit inconsistent).
I think it is a spiritual sequel now and plot elements may have changed between trailers.

We do see Noppon and that girl with the Monado earrings in the latest footage so there are going to plenty of references at the very least.

1)Equipment/Inventory. I finally reached a point where I can no longer store new items/gems/whatever. What should I be doing to free up space? Sell off low-level gems? Is there a fusion mechanic I completely forgot about to bundle low-level gems into higher ones? Animal parts and other mats also. I'm overloaded now and its been so long since my last play that I actually didn't know if it was safe to offload them or concern over future use.
First off there is an |OT| buried and forgotten in community.

Yes, sell off low level gems, the bonuses are crap in comparison to higher level ones. There is a crafting guide here. I would say it is only important once you are finding level 3 materials.

As for the other stuff like animal items, some of it is used for sidequests (but despite doing a lot of these in both playthroughs of mine my advice is to skip most of them) so sell off common at the very least. The thing with sidequests is they are good if they are no effort but if they are effort they get in the way of progressing the game. I guess you could look at a spoilery quest spreadsheet to cross check if you are worried. I was trying to work on a less spoilery one (I got fairly far in the game too) but these things are a lot of work.

There are too few interesting quests to trawl through the junk (the previously mentioned giants is a good example of something interesting and I don't think that has much perquisite). The worst thing is there is a voice acted one really near the end of the game that is super easy to miss (all they needed was a 5 second cutscene to hint at it, the fact they put voice acting in implies it was important).

2)Team-link combat ability thing. I roll with the starter three for Reyn's tanking abilities and the sniper lady's healing/stat spells. When I build up the meter the game keeps yelling at me to do a team-link, but when I do, I can't seem to figure out a solid set of chain abilities between these three characters to make it effective. I am unclear if you can even switch the order while it is happening to take better advantage of the Break->Topple ->etc... ordering. Just feels I am missing something from the tutorials I did years back...
Do not be afraid to change up your party. The thing about Sharla is you auto heal after battle meaning healing is less important and she has bad damage output* amplifying the need for healing (as you take more damage). Light Heal and Riki's spell are surprising good. Do not bother with Melia's Summon Aqua as that is awful though (it is too little regen to matter).

*-She can do ether damage so is good vs elementals and other enemies that heavily resist physical, there is a dungeon late game full of physically resisting enemies where people get stuck on its boss. The art symbol (the direction of the streak in the background) or description will say if a given art is physical or ether based.

I personally rotate party members to build up affinity (you will likely be far from maxing out in any case) to open up skill linking but you might find a party member you really enjoy playing as. Also the AI does not play characters particularly well (for instance with Shulk they will try to spam monado buster and use the terrible exchange HP for talent gauge refill art, I think there is a way to disable that) though it will try to topple (like it notices a break has been made) and do other complimentary things.

Chain attacks are either going for a topple (if you can get enough turns I guess you could go for dizzy and a headshot with Sharla but bosses and unique enemies are immune to the insta-kill part) or building damage multiplies up for massive damage by going for the same colour in succession. Sharla is a problem here as she has a lack of Red which Ryen mainly is made up of for doing that. It should be noted white talent arts (e.g. monado) are a whildcard so you can change colours with those.

From what I remember status like bleed and burn is affected by the multiplier so going for a x5 finishing off with Dunban bleeding the opponent will really cause a lot of pain.

3)Monado special abilities. Very situational...half of them sit unused for long stretches, making me wonder if I also had forgotten some key competent to their use beyond the obvious(Mechon damage, et al.). Actually it feels like I only really use the damage shield when time stops and warns me of big damage...and even then I am unclear if I am doing it right.
There are various symbols to the attacks. The shield only works on techniques that have a name ending with I-X (where the shield technique needs to be that level or higher to work). Don't feel too concerned with leveling this a lot (it is fairly cheap to level which might surprise how low a level the enemy techniques are for much of the game).

Speed will make you dodge any physical attack as it applies something like a few hundred agility buff to the target for a short amount of time, btw agility is the most important stat in the game as it is hit and evade.

There is a secret one with greatly reduces damage the party takes in general which is a lazy substitute to both of those (is uses more of the talent gauge but you can refill it quickly enough late on to keep this one constantly in use).

Enchant does not need much leveling, battles are not long enough to need anti-mechon for a long time (plus the game does go through lots of periods of no mechon) but if they are just cast it again.

Sadist

Reyn time the game is amazing.

On a more serious note, I love Xenoblade Chronicles. It's one of those rare games that gets you hyped and actually delivered. I'm replaying it right now and I'm still amazed at how the world is structured and modeled. It already happens at the start of the game when you get to know Colony 9 and the area surrounding it. The game really pushes you to explore, looking for the next thing and getting surprised by high level monsters. "Hey I'm at lvl 11 and hey WHY ARE THERE LVL 70 MONSTERS!?!?"

And that's just the beginning.

I love the Mechonis Field track. So good.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I recently finished a 160+ hour run, and it's one of the best games I've played in years. But instead of going over the high points, here's some things I hope they fix in X (some has been mentioned):

Item drop space is limited, and you often need them, but you're forced to sell a lot of them near the end and there's no bestiary to look up which creatures hold which items, so off to the wiki you go.

Affinity can easily not be filled by the time you're level 99 with all characters. You'd think by about 80 you'd be done, given the level at which the last boss is.

Maps. Specifically the quick map and what's shown on it. It would massively help tracking down quest start/ends if I didn't have to check the wiki to find out when/where you find someone. Without a guide, finding someone in, for example, Frontier Village takes forever. The affinity chart can give you a vague time period and mission logs can give you a quest start location (nearest warp point) but it's often not enough.

Level importance for hit rates. If an enemy is 10 levels above you it's either fight at night with night vision gems (only really worth it once you get level VI gems) or use ether attacks. Otherwise you have all of your attacks whiff, then characters get sad, which reduces hit rate even more. It makes what should be a challenge an absolute impossibility for a melee team. And the same works the other way round, enemies can't even touch you. You become untouchable, and even though you'd win every fight it removes any fun from doing things like aggro-ing 10+ enemies at once. In that situation you spend all of your time evading, which stops you actually doing anything.

random25

I recently finished a 160+ hour run, and it's one of the best games I've played in years. But instead of going over the high points, here's some things I hope they fix in X (some has been mentioned):

Item drop space is limited, and you often need them, but you're forced to sell a lot of them near the end and there's no bestiary to look up which creatures hold which items, so off to the wiki you go.

Affinity can easily not be filled by the time you're level 99 with all characters. You'd think by about 80 you'd be done, given the level at which the last boss is.

Maps. Specifically the quick map and what's shown on it. It would massively help tracking down quest start/ends if I didn't have to check the wiki to find out when/where you find someone. Without a guide, finding someone in, for example, Frontier Village takes forever. The affinity chart can give you a vague time period and mission logs can give you a quest start location (nearest warp point) but it's often not enough.

Level importance for hit rates. If an enemy is 10 levels above you it's either fight at night with night vision gems (only really worth it once you get level VI gems) or use ether attacks. Otherwise you have all of your attacks whiff, then characters get sad, which reduces hit rate even more. It makes what should be a challenge an absolute impossibility for a melee team. And the same works the other way round, enemies can't even touch you. You become untouchable, and even though you'd win every fight it removes any fun from doing things like aggro-ing 10+ enemies at once. In that situation you spend all of your time evading, which stops you actually doing anything.

- Most RPGs or other genres nowadays are really aiming for limited space in inventory. While not ideal, it is best to manage items before exploring or sell things you don't need from time to time. A bestiary is a thing that I will agree with, and with gamepad integration, I hope they can add that option.

- Affinity, as in, burst affinity in battles? I think it is much easier to built the meter at higher levels because of skill links and such. Based from my experience.

- I would also like to have valuable NPCs have exact locations where to find them as soon as you meet them for the 1st time. While I don't mind searching them in the whole town, it will be best to have an auto-tracker of sorts especially when they wander around areas. Granted, the affinity chart lets you view where they are and when they are available, with some of them wandering from point A to point B it gets annoying sometimes.

- As for hit rates, the best strategy is to always build agility. Even monster with 20 level gaps can be hit with proper agility build. Not only it improves hit rates, but also evasion as well.

jonno394

Just finished this myself and absolutely loved the game. Great OP, sums up my feelings rather well.

What made teh game for me was the game world, the music and just the sense of exploration/discovery, something no other game barring Skies of Arcadia comes close to imo.

Soodanim

Gold Member
- Most RPGs or other genres nowadays are really aiming for limited space in inventory. While not ideal, it is best to manage items before exploring or sell things you don't need from time to time. A bestiary is a thing that I will agree with, and with gamepad integration, I hope they can add that option.

- Affinity, as in, burst affinity in battles? I think it is much easier to built the meter at higher levels because of skill links and such. Based from my experience.

- I would also like to have valuable NPCs have exact locations where to find them as soon as you meet them for the 1st time. While I don't mind searching them in the whole town, it will be best to have an auto-tracker of sorts especially when they wander around areas. Granted, the affinity chart lets you view where they are and when they are available, with some of them wandering from point A to point B it gets annoying sometimes.

- As for hit rates, the best strategy is to always build agility. Even monster with 20 level gaps can be hit with proper agility build. Not only it improves hit rates, but also evasion as well.
-That's fine, except that I knew that there was a chance that things I was selling would be needed (and it did happen to me, even though I sold the oldest stuff). It would have been fine if there was an in-game way to track those items down again, and I wouldn't mind either solution as long as there is one. But what makes it strange is that you have room for every collectable (with room to spare) but not drops. They're both used for the same sorts of things (gather quests and trading) but with just one limited it feels arbitrary.

-I mean the affinity between any two characters. You can fill the affinity between the first 3 characters quite quickly, but I don't think there's time to fill it between everyone. Affinity is only used for one side quest that I can think of (that one for the girl in colony 9) and get crafting, but still. I actually like that some of my characters had low affinity (for splitting crystals into single cylinders) but the game seems to want you to up affinity but doesn't give you room to do it all.

-An active side-quest arrow would be fine too, and that might work quite well with the Gamepad.

-You can build agility, but that still leaves you missing most of your attacks. It's less of an uphill struggle and more scaling a cliff face with no rope. Death awaits all but the best of us and it's mainly because you whiff nearly everything. I know there isn't much else agility can do as it doesn't affect attack speed, but as soon as the enemy name tag goes from red to yellow you're fine and that's where I think it's off. Red should mean "I hope you're good as this game, because he is much stronger than you", not "You won't even hit him unless you level up once more".

I totally agree.
Can not wait for Xenoblade Wii U, it's going to be incredible.
It's thrown off my "What's your GotY" answer because it's the best game I've played this year.

Dunban focused title and a content filled OP, this is how you arrive late with style.
The conclusion in the OP does well to remind me exactly what it is I really dug about this game, freedom and scale indeed. The vast areas of map to explore, the diverse scenery, you know the best character in Xenoblade may very well be the world itself.
It's a game that keeps finding ways to impress on that front, from when first stepping foot on Gaur Plains to the night time transformations of the swamp and mountain, it really leveraged string visual direction to overcome the Wii's graphical limitations.
On top of this the music works with each area to help set the scene further, to take a more understated example I'll always remember when I was in Alcamoth as it transitioned to night, the music shifted into its more subdued variation and then a thunderstorm started raining down upon the vast window surrounding the city, it was an oddly cosy moment.

Oh and experience points for exploring? fabulous, the game being rather non-punishing upon defeat meant that you weren't deterred from wading out of your depth, to try and sneak in some new sights, I really hope XC X can scratch this same itch.

The game is awesome...right up until its not. The endgame drags on for waaaaay too long.

"Hey, you know all of those wide open areas with lots of quests sprawling vistas you could visit and secrets that are why you fell in love with this game? Fuck that! Spend the last twenty hours running through a handful of mostly linear areas wailing on annoying enemies until the final boss"

I absolutely agree with this, throw in some sudden level spikes as well and things just weren't quite as peachy in the final third which does drag the game down for me.

BigDes

Gonna play this once I get round to replacing my wiimote

That or work out how to get Dolphin to use the 360 controller

Seik

Banned
Gonna play this once I get round to replacing my wiimote

That or work out how to get Dolphin to use the 360 controller

It's really easy.

Wiimote -> Set up the first one as 'Emulated Wiimote' -> Configure -> Change extension to 'Classic' and then click 'Configure' just under it -> Set the buttons of your 360 controller as if it was a classic controller.

Done.

Jarmel

Banned
-I mean the affinity between any two characters. You can fill the affinity between the first 3 characters quite quickly, but I don't think there's time to fill it between everyone. Affinity is only used for one side quest that I can think of (that one for the girl in colony 9) and get crafting, but still. I actually like that some of my characters had low affinity (for splitting crystals into single cylinders) but the game seems to want you to up affinity but doesn't give you room to do it all.
Yea, I tried to build the affinity between a new party but it takes forever that to go up. I'm pretty sure that this was done for multiple playthroughs and a way to 'force' players to switch up their party.
It was absolutely fantastic from start to finish, but the moment when the story really got it's hooks in me is the reason I'm so glad you liked Engage the Enemy, OP. In a game full of spectacular moments, the fight between Dunban and Mumkhar at the foot of Valak Mountain stands out as one of the most memorable moments of any game ever, for me. From there on it was an absolute non-stop marathon of action, revelation, and excitement. The story cliches didn't bother me in the slightest. The style with which the game carried itself made everything flow beautifully.
Now that you mention it, one thing I really liked about the story was the fact that the villains were serious about killing you. They didn't send some grunts to finish you off but made a rather concentrated effort at times. There were a number of times in the story that the party is close to getting wiped out but are saved via sheer luck. It helped to make the villains actually feel competent, something rare in videogames as a whole. I should also mention that I listed to more of the OST again and these are another two I should add to my favorites list:
While I Think (this really made Melia's cutscene with her brother, it's really majestic but also a bit sad at the same time)
Shulk and Fiora (a good re-arrangement of the main theme)
It's really easy.
Wiimote -> Set up the first one as 'Emulated Wiimote' -> Configure -> Change extension to 'Classic' and then click 'Configure' just under it -> Set the buttons of your 360 controller as if it was a classic controller.
Done.
That's how I played the game.

Kriken

So I finally finished this game (Been in my backlog since September of last year) Holy hell, I want Xenoblade X just THAT much more. While the graphics aren't something to sneeze at, the art direction is simply gorgeous and the writing more than makes up for the graphics. Looking back on the X trailers indicating it has something to do with the US and knowing what I now know about the ending just makes me so happy. I wish I had more to say, but I'm just glad I finally got around to finishing it and I have high expectations for what's to come

Marceles

I haven't finished the game yet, I'm at the Mechon capital at the moment and around 41 hours in, but I had to say that personally I feel it's one of the best games I've ever played period. I'm not even going to separate the genre.

Like......either games have been lackluster the past couple gens, or this is truly one of the best games ever. The more I play, the more mad I am that I didn't play the game when it first released. I really can't think of an RPG in the past several years that can top Xenoblade.

It just feels like Monolith put their all into the game. I don't know how many times I've said "I can't believe this is a Wii game", but it was a lot, probably every half hour.

Nbz

I've made it to the final elevator where Dunban asks if you are ready to go on or not, and that there is no turning back. This is it boys, a playthrough 3 years in the making, I'm finally going to finish Xenoblade. I'm at level 81/80 across the board. Hoping that will be enough to put a bullet in these last bosses.

Top Bottom