• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucas on 60 minutes now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Willco said:
As opposed to say, big films nobody likes?

"Nobody" liked the prequels?

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Domestic Gross: $431,088,301
Overseas: $493,400,000
Total worldwide gross: $924,488,301

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
Domestic Gross: $310,676,740
Overseas: $338,800,000
Total worldwide gross: $649,476,740

That's an awful lot of people going to see movies they didn't like.

Willco

Hollywood Square
SteveMeister said:

Hah, I'm about to ruin your day. Because apparently you can't read. We already had this discussion in page 2 and you've done all that work for nothing.

:: For those just joining in, a replay for the illiterate ::

Show me where I said nobody likes Star Wars, because I never said that. If you go that from this:

Originally Posted by Me said:
I thought the funniest part of the interview was when he said he'd like to make small films that nobody will like.

As opposed to say, big films nobody likes?

... Then you're being a tad bit defensive. I never made mention of Star Wars and I didn't even mean Star Wars or anything. I thought it was funny that he wants to make small films nobody will like, but not big films nobody will like. As if being smaller makes it cooler.

---------------------------------------------------------

:: Then, I had this exchange with cybamerc about ::

cybamerc said:
His point is that he wants to make movies that are the exact opposite of Star Wars.

Me said:
... Okay. So what? I thought the quote was humorous and pointed it out as so. Tsk, tsk.

---------------------------------------------------------

Star Wars fans are always so defensive. You think in a thread where ManaByte is likely to hang around that I'd dare say something baseles like, "Nobody likes Star Wars!" You've got to be kidding. There are always people that Lucas will get money from.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
yeah, but that is usually fought back with "yeah, it's amazing how many times star wars apologists or geek fanboys will see the same movie over and over." or some crap like that.

IMHO the big number though is Ep2. Ep1 is of course going to be inflasted because people will want to see the first SW movie in over 15 years. Ep2 more correctly reflects the people who the craze died down for.. so yeah, that is still a mightily impressive number and can't be discounted solely by fanboys going back to see it over and over again.

but the bashers will always find excuses. the anti-PT apologists if you will.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Tedesco! said:
Pretty much everyone who has replied to this thread will be giving Lucas a few bucks come May.....

I think this we can all agree on. Unless he manages to completely fuck up marketing and show clips of Anakin and Obi-Wan tap dancing on screen to love ballads, he will swindle my seven dollars and fifty cents once again.

I'm a glutton for punishment.

shantyman said:
How can you apply a martial artists' point of view to a fictional creation? Does the force guide you too?

OF COURSE it is meant to be flashy. It's a movie, and it's supposed to be entertaining and make you say "Wow." Does Spiderman need to flip around like an acrobat in a gratuitous way every time he swings from one building to another?

I was using a martial arts point of view because, one, I've trained with using swords of various types and can't think of a single reason why you would do something like they are showing in that clip, and two, they sabre fighting is based on martial arts movements. No, I never claimed that the force guides me, but the princples of using a bladed weapon are similar in the films and in real life.

I notice you cut the part of the quote where I said that I'd reserve judgment on the clip until I saw it in the context of the film.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Willco said:
I think this we can all agree on. Unless he manages to completely fuck up marketing and show clips of Anakin and Obi-Wan tap dancing on screen to love ballads, he will swindle my seven dollars and fifty cents once again.

I'm a glutton for punishment.

Where do you go that it's only $7.50? ;) Then again I am thinking of tickets for 2 and snacks... <sigh> damn theaters....

Willco

Hollywood Square
Tedesco! said:
I'll see you at the theater Wilco.....

Well, I'll be out in LA during E3 at the time, so I'm hoping (praying is more like it) that Grauman's Chinese Theatre won't be so packed that I can't see it there. That would be my dream. To see Star Wars there.

So if I see you with a sleeping bag in line, I will kick you probably.

DarienA said:
Where do you go that it's only $7.50? ;) Then again I am thinking of tickets for 2 and snacks... <sigh> damn theaters....

Germantown is a pretty swank theatre, though. Don't forget to include the cost of the arcade!

Espio

Will, you're coming to see Episode 3 with me at E3, and you will leave all negative comments until the END of the film.

I <3 Star Wars.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Espio said:
Will, you're coming to see Episode 3 with me at E3, and you will leave all negative comments until the END of the film.

I <3 Star Wars.

Dude, I will fucking MST3K it and throw Twizzlers at the screen if I have to.

What I dont understand is why all of these bitching and moaning Star Wars people cant just GO TO THE MOVIE ... WATCH IT ... ENJOY IT. Dont you think it's just a little bit said that all you can do is look at 5 seconds of movie and say, AW MAN IT SUCKS!! LOOK THEY'RE SPINNING THEIR LIGHTSABERS!! THE WHOLE MOVIE IS TRASH. I personally grew up with the OT and nothing will compare to them because no movie of any kind can. To this point have enjoyed the PT movies too, very much so because I dont sit here and criticize every little sticking detail. I go the see Star Wars to enjoy the experience, not sit there pointing out usless nonsense thats not even worth flipping out about. I for one cant wait to see EpIII and I thought the trailer was awesome. I didnt even notice some things that people said were "lame" until I came into this thread and other like it because I was more interested in enjoying rather than bashing it. Is it so hard to do that???? Enjoy the movie for what its worth, sheesH!!!!!!!!

And another thing, as far as I know no one movie (besides Zoolander) is better than another. They're just different

Willco said:
Haha, Junior Members are adorable.

lol I was waiting for someone to jump on him! :lol

But seriously, if you can't see that some films are better then others, then you're missing out on a lot in the movie going experience. Yes, films are different, but there are many that are definetly better then others. Some is obviously based on opinion and choice, like all art, but others are just plain better.

jett

D-Member
I guess I'm the only one that thinks all of the lightsaber fights in the prequels are ridiculous and stupid-looking. To the ballerina-like dancing to the excessive and exaggerated movements...it's all garbage, trying to imrpess the audience(maybe the dumber people will be), but falls flat on its face. Fucking horrible "swordplay".

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Willco said:

That may be true, but he made the best argument in this thread.

KFJ, I did not mean to omit that part of the quote to take it out of contaxt, was just saying that applying any type of real life experience to those of a character in a sci fi movie is absurd, even if some of these experiences influenced the movie.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
jett said:
I guess I'm the only one that thinks all of the lightsaber fights in the prequels are ridiculous and stupid-looking. To the ballerina-like dancing to the excessive and exaggerated movements...it's all garbage, trying to imrpess the audience(maybe the dumber people will be), but falls flat on its face. Fucking horrible "swordplay".

That's just it- it's not swordplay. It's fictional characters with fictional powers (that include some akin to telepathy) fighting. Why should we assume they would fight like a real person would?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
jett said:
lol.... ummm.. there are actually a number of friends that are into a number of different martial weapon styles that have commented on how the choreography of the PT battles have been amazing. Not entirely realistic mind you , but certainly more realistic than what we are usually given to. and certainly more realistic than the two-handed broadsword medeival stylings of the OT.

"here you go. you have a device that can't weigh more than 2 pounds with a beam of light coming out of it. now you are going to wield this thing like it requires two hands and has 45lbs of weight behind it."

:\

Willco

Hollywood Square
shantyman said:
That may be true, but he made the best argument in this thread.

Yeah, if you're a re-re.

I take back anything I ever said about anyone in this thread in regards to being an apologist. This guy, now he's an apologist.

borghe said:
lol.... ummm.. there are actually a number of friends that are into a number of different martial weapon styles that have commented on how the choreography of the PT battles have been amazing. Not entirely realistic mind you , but certainly more realistic than what we are usually given to. and certainly more realistic than the two-handed broadsword medeival stylings of the OT.

"here you go. you have a device that can't weigh more than 2 pounds with a beam of light coming out of it. now you are going to wield this thing like it requires two hands and has 45lbs of weight behind it."

:\

I don't mind the choreagraphy of the prequels, it's one of the bright spots for the films, but the sheer force of two lightsabers clashing must weigh a lot.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I'm not so much an apologist as I am someone who is saying people need to lighten the hell up. Just watch the movie and then decide if you like it. And you sure as hell don't need to analyze it to the Nth degree.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Willco said:
Hah, I'm about to ruin your day.

Yeah, as if my life revolves around postings on message boards.

Defensive? No. Calling out hyperbole? Definitely. Given the thread topic and the content of the posts leading up to the one I quoted, I can't see any other conclusion I could have reached. Pardon me if I misinterpreted, and excuse me for not reading the entire thread before responding.

Willco

Hollywood Square
SteveMeister said:
Yeah, as if my life revolves around postings on message boards.

Defensive? No. Calling out hyperbole? Definitely. Given the thread topic and the content of the posts leading up to the one I quoted, I can't see any other conclusion I could have reached. Pardon me if I misinterpreted, and excuse me for not reading the entire thread before responding.

You are pardoned and excused. G'day, sir.

Manics

Banned
SteveMeister said:

That's quite the dropoff in overall gross from movie 1 to 2. I do recall that the Lord of the Rings movies actually INCREASED in money from the 1st to 2nd to 3rd. Doesn't that 300 million worldwide dropoff show you that alot of people who saw the first movie thought it sucked and werent' eager to see AOTC 10 times?

Tedesco!

$649,476,740 - it's still more than any Star Trek movie will ever gross, and there are 11 of those shitty films! (Ok, 10, Kahn was kinda cool)

Only net nerds will comaplin about a $649,476,740 grossing pic and call it a failure!

temp

posting on contract only
Tedesco! said:
$649,476,740 - it's still more than any Star Trek movie will ever gross, and there are 11 of those shitty films! (Ok, 10, Kahn was kinda cool)

Only net nerds will comaplin about a $649,476,740 grossing pic and call it a failure!
it's not a failure, but it is a big drop off, which was his point

Manics said:
That's quite the dropoff in overall gross from movie 1 to 2. I do recall that the Lord of the Rings movies actually INCREASED in money from the 1st to 2nd to 3rd. Doesn't that 300 million worldwide dropoff show you that alot of people who saw the first movie thought it sucked and werent' eager to see AOTC 10 times?

It just means that after 20 years people expected the movie to end all movies. The marketing budget completely saturated everybody with the Phantom Menace too. They spent a miniscule amount on Clones in comparison.

Iceman

Willco said:
Dude, I will fucking MST3K it and throw Twizzlers at the screen if I have to.

woah, woah, woah... woah.

Twizzlers are for eating, sir. If you're going to do that at least allow me to be strategically placed near the screen so that I could at least salvage some of those tasty morsel-sized missiles.

Tedesco!

Willco said:
Well, I'll be out in LA during E3 at the time, so I'm hoping (praying is more like it) that Grauman's Chinese Theatre won't be so packed that I can't see it there. That would be my dream. To see Star Wars there.

I saw both Jedi and Godfather there when they were re-released in 1997. It was pretty damn cool.

shantyman said:
KFJ, I did not mean to omit that part of the quote to take it out of contaxt, was just saying that applying any type of real life experience to those of a character in a sci fi movie is absurd, even if some of these experiences influenced the movie.

Ok. I'll agree to leave out martial experiences when it comes to referring to how they used their sabres in the films. The style of martial arts/sword fighting that they use in the films is more based on what looks on on camera rather then real useful experience.

I have also said that I'm a huge fan of the OT, and actually really enjoy the PT. I also happen to think that the trailer for Revenge of the Sith looks awsome as did most of the footage that showed last night on 60 Mins. However, you have to admit that the scene with Obi Wan and Anakin spinning their sabres like that looks pretty silly and useless, when taken out of context of the film. I didn't say that the film looked awful from one small, 5 second clip. I'd never go that far. And as I said, I'll reserve final judgement for when I see it in the context of the movie.

Peace!

Manics

Banned
Tedesco! said:

I never mentioned Star Trek OR that 649 million was a failure. I just said it was huge dropoff from the first movie. If that trend continues (30% dropoff overall) then the third movie would gross 454 worldwide.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Iceman said:
woah, woah, woah... woah.

Twizzlers are for eating, sir. If you're going to do that at least allow me to be strategically placed near the screen so that I could at least salvage some of those tasty morsel-sized missiles.

Twizzlers a perfect for throwing at shoddy movies.

Last time I did that during Episode II and some 6'5" 300 lbs. monster in the front row threatened to kick my ass if I did it again ("Next person who throws shit gets his ass beat after the movie!"), so I quickly ducked out of the theatre before the credits.

people need to lighten the hell up.

my thoughts exactly

Raimi rocks the casbah

aw

Yeah, if you're a re-re.

cute

Star Wars prequels suck and Spider-Man does not.

right

Ignorant one sided members who think because they post more than someone else they're somebody special are just plain pathetic. Instead of replying to what someone has to say they have to go the easy way out. Say what you want, haha, its just a online forum but id much rather talk about you know ... the topic?

does anyone know if the interview is available for streaming or download anywhere? thanks

Ristamar

Heh. The spinning was kinda weird, though it did look some kind of force struggle. Hard to tell what the hell is going on, to be honest. Regardless, seems rather trivial.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Willco said:
Twizzlers a perfect for throwing at shoddy movies.

Last time I did that during Episode II and some 6'5" 300 lbs. monster in the front row threatened to kick my ass if I did it again ("Next person who throws shit gets his ass beat after the movie!"), so I quickly ducked out of the theatre before the credits.

Just like the pussy that you are :)

trilobyte

Ristamar said:
Heh. The spinning was kinda weird, though it did look some kind of force struggle. Hard to tell what the hell is going on, to be honest. Regardless, seems rather trivial.
Yes if you notice, they seem to be deflecting eachother attacks with the force.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom