• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lumines comes to PSN!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Day one if it has trophies.
Day x [price cut] if it doesn't.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Count me as another one to say it - no licenced tracks, no sale.

While wishing for things that don't happen, a mode where skin progression is randomized would be nice too. For all I know this was put it at some point in the series, so maybe that much is given.

Don

Nice. The only reason I didn't buy the 360 version was because of the d-pad, so I will probably get this.

Cardon

Don said:
Nice. The only reason I didn't buy the 360 version was because of the d-pad, so I will probably get this.

Same here. I downloaded the demo and to me it just felt off while playing and I was just so used to the PSP's d-pad. This is a day 1 purchase for me as long as there's no Black Eyed Peas.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Oh Lumines, the hours of sleep I lost with you. C'mon, Q, give me another game that eats my soul like that.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
one of the best games on xbla and it will be even better with a better d-pad (though with 50+ hours put into the xbla version i'm pretty used to playing it on the 360 by now). most of the skin packs on xbla were great; hopefully psn gets them as well.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
duckroll said:
Incorrect. It was totally underappreciated because of a fucked up release format. The end.

Naah, it was underappreciated due to the 360's d-pad.

soldat7

pswii60 said:
Lumines was totally underappreciated on Live because everyone was too busy moaning about the price and add-on packs etc to realise how damn good it is.

At nearly 90 hours logged in Lumines Live! on XBLA, I will gladly purchase whatever Lumines game comes out for PSN.

If this remains Japan-only then I'll overturn my breakfast cereal on someones head. You better believe that I'll wait for it to get soggy first.

Don said:

360 analog stick beats my PSP fat d-pad. Fact.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
djtiesto said:
Naah, it was underappreciated due to the 360's d-pad.

i thought the xbla release situation was way overblown. mizuguchi said it was released that way so that people could just get the "parts" they wanted. obviously there was a business reason for it too, but people were hardly deprived of the true lumines experience by getting the base pack. the vs. and puzzle modes are very different from the base game and if taking them out and selling them separately saved base-game buyers even a dollar it was a great deal since those modes were crap. lumines base pack is an even better deal now at 800.

Cool, I'd consider this, but I do already have Lumines I and II on the PSP.

so do i. still worth getting one console version just for the hd, 5.1, and new skins though imo.

soldat7

Marconelly said:
For Lumines? A game that doesn't require any diagonal movement? Simply not true.

Play these games like a religion for a year and you'll come to the same conclusion. Maybe the d-pad on the slim is better but 360 analog beats fat d-pad any day of the week (except Tuesdays).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
soldat7 said:
Play these games like a religion for a year and you'll come to the same conclusion. Maybe the d-pad on the slim is better but 360 analog beats fat d-pad any day of the week (except Tuesdays).
I cannot even imagine playing Lumines or any Tetris-like game on any analog stick, but if that rocks your boat, that's great. The only way I can see analog being better is if PSPs Dpad was not registering presses half the time or something. Also, yes slim has much improved dpad, but it's all just in terms of how diagonals work which is not affecting a game like Lumines.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Marconelly said:
I cannot even imagine playing Lumines or any Tetris-like game on any analog stick, but if that rocks your boat, that's great.

same. this is like pes for me i could never under any condition play it with an analog but i have no personal vendetta against people who do.

mollipen

soldat7 said:
360 analog stick beats my PSP fat d-pad. Fact.

Ugh, no way. I have an original PSP, and Lumines I & II both played great on that d-pad. Then I picked up the 360 version, play it for like a half an hour, and then never touched it again. D-pad is junk, but the analog stick was nowhere near good enough for playing that game. It's fine for games with a lot of held movements, but anything requiring a lot of very quick taps in any direction it feels too mushy.

So, glad to hear it's coming to PSN - if there's a demo I'll give it a chance and decide if I want to waste more money on the game. (Really, though, Lumines just feels better to me on the small screen of the PSP, so maybe I shouldn't even bother.)

segasonic

pswii60 said:
Lumines was totally underappreciated on Live because everyone was too busy moaning about the price and add-on packs etc to realise how damn good it is.
also the sucky d-pad of the 360 controller

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
This is awesome awesome news. Lumines is one of my favorite games. I have no idea how many hours I've sunk into the PSP version. I hope that the PSN Lumines is better than Lumines Live.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
shidoshi said:
(Really, though, Lumines just feels better to me on the small screen of the PSP, so maybe I shouldn't even bother.)

I much prefer it on HD w/ 5.1. It's obviously not a graphical powerhouse, but it's quite a flashy game both visually and aurally. Not to mention the amount of time it takes to put in a good round. It's just a very nice relax-on-the-couch game.

mollipen

AstroLad said:
I much prefer it on HD w/ 5.1. It's obviously not a graphical powerhouse, but it's quite a flashy game both visually and aurally. Not to mention the amount of time it takes to put in a good round. It's just a very nice relax-on-the-couch game.

I can definitely see the appeal, but for some reason, the game just clicked with me far more on the PSP than it did when trying it on the 360 (control issues not withstanding).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
shidoshi said:
I can definitely see the appeal, but for some reason, the game just clicked with me far more on the PSP than it did when trying it on the 360 (control issues not withstanding).

I hear you; it's a great portable game too. Very different experiences for me even though obviously the game is largely the same (although the XBLA leaderboards did make for some added fun).

soldat7

shidoshi said:
Ugh, no way. I have an original PSP, and Lumines I & II both played great on that d-pad. Then I picked up the 360 version, play it for like a half an hour, and then never touched it again. D-pad is junk, but the analog stick was nowhere near good enough for playing that game. It's fine for games with a lot of held movements, but anything requiring a lot of very quick taps in any direction it feels too mushy.

So, glad to hear it's coming to PSN - if there's a demo I'll give it a chance and decide if I want to waste more money on the game. (Really, though, Lumines just feels better to me on the small screen of the PSP, so maybe I shouldn't even bother.)

That's your problem. Stick with it and it's an incredibly rewarding game on the big screen. And the 5.1 sound...unparalleled save for Rez HD.

Spy said:
I'm guessing they're planning on releasing Every Extend Extra Extreme on the PSN.

Hopefully not. It's not even a shadow of EEE on PSP...

Jim

PR time:

The ultimate fusion of puzzle, lights and music arrives on the PLAYSTATION®Network this Fall

Indulge in the fusion of puzzle, lights and music! The latest installment to the blockbuster franchise from Tetsuya Mizuguchi and Q Entertainment comes packed with brand new skins and new modes, exclusive to the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.

Lumines Supernova combines puzzles, block-dropping beats and video entertainment to create an addictively-fun gameplay experience that will keep you playing day after day. The game offers 40 skins in the Challenge Mode alone, with several brand new skins keeping the Lumines experience fresh. Choose from several different single player modes, battle it out with a friend or create your own background music in the all-new Sequencer Mode.

LUMINES SUPERNOVA - GAME FEATURES / MODES:

Skins, skins and more new skins: Enjoy unlimited gameplay and unlock up to 40 stylish skins in Challenge Mode, including brand new skins
All-new Dig Down Mode: Using the falling blocks, erase squares from a playfield already filled with blocks as you dig down to the bottom. Show off your digging skills as your completion time is ranked based on clearing 20 consecutive stages
All-new Sequencer Mode: Create your own background music using the sound loops provided in the "Sound Bank" – drums, bass, synthesizer 1, synthesizer 2 and effects each come with 20 different loops
Skin Edit Mode: Customize your Lumines experience by creating your own playlist with your favorite skins
Time Attack Mode: Test your skills and see how many blocks you can erase in a given amount of time and compete with your own record
Puzzle / Mission Mode: Act quickly with the falling blocks to create shapes/designs and clear the playing field in just a few moves (100 puzzles and 50 missions)

Developer/Publisher: Q Entertainment
Platform: PLAYSTATION®3 system (via PLAYSTATION Network)
Genre: Action Puzzle
Release date: Fall 2008
Price: TBA
# of Players: 1 – 2
Rating: RP

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/09/03/lumines-hits-ps3/

First Screenshots of Lumines Supernova

lumines_supernova_logo.jpg

lumines-psn-image7.jpg

lumines-psn-image6.jpg

lumines-psn-image4.jpg

lumines-psn-image2.jpg

lumines-psn-image1.jpg

Dig Down Mode
digdown01.jpg

Sequencer Menu
sequencer_menu_en.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
GeoramA said:
$10 I'm assuming? How much is the XBLA version?

$10 although this one has more skins than the XBLA base pack and just seems more full featured all around than the xbla base

BeeDog

I've heard mucho goodo shito from my friends about this game, so eagerly awaiting it. Hopefully it has some trophies, proper achievements for these kinds of games are always addicting.

Top Bottom