• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lumines: Puzzle & Music | OT | Shinin on Android & iOS

Pachimari

Lumines has a rich history. It all started with Tetsuya Mizuguchi and Q Entertainment's original creation for the PlayStation Portable back in 2004. It was a major success for the company selling more than 550.000 copies worldwide. This resulted in Gameloft picking up the publishing rights, and releasing Lumines Mobile in 2006, while ports for PS2 and PC, named Lumines Plus, came in 2007 and 2008. The year after, it was finally time for the grand debut on smartphones with Lumines: Touch Fusion which was frankly a disaster with bad controls and interface. Other sequels includes Lumines Live!, Lumines II and Lumines: Electronic Symphony.

It has finally come for the franchise transition we had all been hoping for all these years. On September 1 2016, Lumines: Puzzle & Music launched on iOS and Android to a much better reception than its predecessor just seven years prior.

Platforms: iOS | Android
Price: $2.99
Developer: Enhance Games & Tetsuya Mizuguchi
Publisher: mobcast Inc.

• Free-to-play version Lumines Puzzle & Music Neo can be downloaded here. Includes original track pack. More albums can be bought as DLC.
  • Lumines VS, which is a free-to-play multiplayer title will release this Winter.

Lumines: Puzzle & Music combines the simple gameplay and stunning soundtracks of the original PSP release, bringing back fan favorite 'Shinin' and mixing it up with all new tracks and avatars, which gives you special powers, known from the Vita release Electronic Symphony. A new feature also lets you share photos taken of you while playing to social media like Facebook and Twitter. It's also possible to record yourself and upload your video to Everyplay.

AWZMT4c.jpg

ZHEv9He.png
0HGjZzq.png

lDKQKxv.png

6e5dZjs.jpg

Touch Arcade: It's a little light on gameplay modes and I'm not sure I could ever get enough skins to be satisfied, but Puzzle & Music nails the core gameplay and the exceptional aesthetics of the beloved series, and I'm not sure if we can realistically ask for more than that.

Pocket Gamer: Lumines still remains one of the best puzzly ideas that modern gaming has come up with. And it's nice to see it remaining so resolutely itself in an era of free to play reinventions of the classics. If you're a fan of puzzling and you fancy playing one of the best examples of the genre on your phone, or if you're not and you just fancy something smart and fun, then it's well worth picking up.

Techno Buffalo: At just $2.99, it’s tough to go wrong with 14 tracks across two albums. The classic combination of puzzle and music still works, and LUMINES Puzzle & Music is still fun after so many years. Just be ready to give the game a bit of leeway.

Gamezebo: Lumines Puzzle & Music isn’t your typical mobile puzzle game. You’re going to need a pair of headphones, a lot of time, and a willingness to get lost in trance. If you’re comfortable with that proposition — and if you’ve ever played a Lumines in the past, you know you are — Lumines Puzzle & Music is everything you’re hoping for.

Popzara: If there’s any gripes I have, it’s the fact that since this is a mobile device game with touchscreen controls, it doesn’t have the precision I’m used to when playing the game on a console. But as long as you’re not worried about that and just want to play Lumines and enjoy puzzle titles on the go, then you’ll enjoy getting your groove on with Lumines: Puzzle & Music.

Pachimari

P27UZ4S.jpg

Period: September 1 - 11
Track: Shinin
Mode: Endless

01. Remembrance [1.084.352]
02. Madridista [359.362]
03. Vanillalite [184.572]

Quesa

Hard is hard. Not quite sure if it's because of the controls or because I've lost my Lumines mojo.

Unkle

My body is ready.

One of the first games I've ever purchased* on the Play Store.

*Thank you Google Rewards!

I downloaded it, but touch controls kill the speed I'd like to play the game at, does it support bluetooth controllers?

Having your thumb cover the working space makes a timing based game that much harder. I tried placing my thumb above the block you drop, but it was a bit awkward.

Bought it last night for iOS. I am really impressed with the controls, love the swipe down it's really fluid. This coming from a guy that still plays the vita version weekly.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Bought this with funds from Google Rewards, need to actually play more of this. I upped the speed in options, hopefully that'll feel better & help get used to the screen controls.

Now I just wonder how long it'll take for DLC to hit

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Im loving this game but god damn I hate touch screen. I keep messinh up when Im trying to get combos...

Eccocid

I have the psp and Vita version. I prefer the psp version cuz it has shining! and that song in the last skin with a female japanese vocal.

duckroll

Yay, we finally have an OT! Thanks!

Need to play more of this. Definitely want to clear Hard Mode for both Classic and the Puzzle & Music Vol1 just to unlock all the single skins at least. Wish the touch controls were a tad more accurate though. They're pretty good as it is but I always find the rotate tap messing me up in urgent situations due to a lack of responsiveness. Android here.

Eccocid

ok am i making up things or there was already a Lumines games on ios before? I remember playing one few years ago and remember i didn't like the touch controls...

Reposting my advice from the other thread, with a couple of additional tips:

For high scores, you need to get to max combo (4 or more consecutive bonuses in a row) consistently, and you need to clear a lot of blocks while you have max combo.

This version of Lumines requires clearing only 3 squares to get a bonus, compared to 4 for every other version of Lumines. That's a huge difference in practice and will let you get bonuses much more easily.

You won't have enough time to get bonuses if you spend too much time rotating and sliding blocks. The key is to drop as many blocks as possible in one timeline sweep while still clearing squares and without overflowing yourself in the long run.

For skins with fast timelines like Shinin', a lot of the time you just need to get the bare minimum of 3 squares, then start setting up squares for the next timeline sweep before the current timeline sweep has finished.

The best way to learn this is probably just to force yourself to play without rotating. Drop every block as you get it, and try to figure out the best place to put it as close to the middle of the field as possible - you have more options than you think, especially if you "slice" the block effectively. (Time attack mode in the other games was very effective at forcing you to play this way.)

You need to get as many combos as possible early on, while mistakes don't matter as much. Later on you have to abandon this kind of high-risk playstyle because every mistake will cost you at higher speeds.

If you use an avatar that lets you stop the timeline, use it just before you get a max combo to give you enough time to set up a huge score bonus on the next sweep.

Pachimari

I followed your advice from the other thread and instantly improved my score from the 150k to 350k. Worked wonders, although the method makes a mess of my OCD of staying clean.

ok am i making up things or there was already a Lumines games on ios before? I remember playing one few years ago and remember i didn't like the touch controls...
Read the OP. I wrote about that game. It's called Lumines: Touch Fusion and did not have great controls. It has also been delisted. This one, is Puzzle & Music, and released 3 days ago.

I just found out, that I have 9 avatars more to unlock. But everything else I have unlocked already.

I hope they add controller support.

Yeah, I was gonna come ask if anyone had tried using a controller with it yet, but this and Google Play reviews seem to indicate that it's a no-go. I'd pick up a tiny gamepad just for this. I was compelled to boot up Electronic Symphony again on both my Vita and PSTV after playing a bunch of this one, and it's just... Lumines needs a gamepad. In any event though, Puzzle & Music is really great and well worth the $3.

Is this foreal?

I'm the best in the world at easy mode (first run too), probably got dethroned in the time it took to upload the ss to imgur.

You're looking at the local leaderboards (hokey default "high scores" entered by the developers). Tap on the globe button to look at the actual global leaderboards.

KiraXD

well a few songs in and... its okay... made a few mistakes where i accidentally tapped when i went to swipe down so it spun the block... i also wish i could spin the blocks both ways... i feel tapping 3 times to go all the way around is too much. Music is great as always... but touch controls for this is just... ehhhhhhhhhhhh

Oscar

You're looking at the local leaderboards (hokey default "high scores" entered by the developers). Tap on the globe button to look at the actual global leaderboards.
Figured something was up, because I was getting used to the sensitivity throughout the whole session.

I'm sooo glad this is out, I played the hell out of the PSP version.

Miker

How exactly does the scoring work? I see bonuses appear when I erase 3 or more blocks in one sweep, but then does that contribute to a combo somewhere?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Bumped the speed up & while it semi-helped, I seriously just miss playing the Vita version. These touch controls make me feel like I can't be as fast when making drops, and it doesn't help when about 10% of the time, it drops in the wrong place & it doesn't feel like it was because of me but rather the touch controls being either too sensitive or not working because sometimes it feels like rotating doesn't work, which makes me wonder if it's just my phone, I'm not tapping correctly, or it's the game.

If I could somehow sync a controller to my phone & play that way, I would feel more likely to play more of this, but if anything, I just feel like going back to the Vita version.

Pachimari

Bumped the speed up & while it semi-helped, I seriously just miss playing the Vita version. These touch controls make me feel like I can't be as fast when making drops, and it doesn't help when about 10% of the time, it drops in the wrong place & it doesn't feel like it was because of me but rather the touch controls being either too sensitive or not working because sometimes it feels like rotating doesn't work, which makes me wonder if it's just my phone, I'm not tapping correctly, or it's the game.

If I could somehow sync a controller to my phone & play that way, I would feel more likely to play more of this, but if anything, I just feel like going back to the Vita version.

I bet it's your phone, and not the game (well, partly the game, as some people have reported they have problems with the rotation of blocks). I have no problems whatsoever when playing on my iPad Pro, and honestly, rarely makes mistakes. But when playing on a LG G3, the game does feel different, and I do not feel as comfortable.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I've got a Samsung Galaxy S5. I've noticed times where I would tap, but the block wouldn't want to rotate until I gave it another tap or two.

It seems to also be random as to when it wants to work or not. I was doing fine for the most part on Classic Easy, but as soon as I was trying it on Normal, it was being really inaccurate to the point I just quit the game because I knew I wouldn't be able to get anywhere near that "zen" state I can get into playing it with buttons.

I'll give it another try tomorrow or so, I want to like it but it's not giving a really good first impression compared to Electronic Symphony, which was the first in the series I tried.

Pachimari

I'm pretty sure it is your phone sorry. Because I have never had to tap a block twice for it to recognize that I want to rotate it. And I had it "pretty easy" on Hard difficulty unlocking everything but nine avatar power-ups.

Electronic Symphony is a very fine entry in the series as well, so it won't be bad going back to that one, if you really can't play it on your Galaxy S5.

[edit]
I cleaned up the OP a bit, moving around some text, and adding graphics to the albums.

Pachimari

Thr game has different listings in different regions on the Play Store. The one in the OP is not for everyone. It's weird.
Yeah exactly. I don't know how to link to the different listings. If someone could help me out with that, I would gladly add it to the OP.

*I'm gonna fix the Album section, as it cannot be read on the dark theme on a mobile device. I'll probably add the text as well to make it mobile friendly.

KeRaSh

Saw this while browsing for stuff to play during our flight from Germany to LA.
Now I fear that the flight won't be long enough...

Fucking Shinin'! :D

arkon

It's good to have it on the mobile but yeah the touch controls don't stack up. I did just try the S pen, as I figured that might solve my issues with the touch controls, but it doesnt seem to be supported.

Pachimari

I'm curious, are any of you in here playing on an iPad? Because I have no problems with the controls seriously. So it might be a better and more joyful experience if you're on the 9.7" iPad. Would like to hear from someone else on iPad, because it's precise on that platform, and if one still sucks, you gotta practice.

I have now played it for 6 hours, and haven't encountered the problem with the blocks not turning.

Top Bottom