• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lumines: Puzzle & Music | OT | Shinin on Android & iOS

Pretty sure Lumines Neo wasn't meant to launch outside of Japan.

Also has anyone been able to successfully transfer a cloud save between devices? (iOS)

llehuty

Pretty sure Lumines Neo wasn't meant to launch outside of Japan.

Also has anyone been able to successfully transfer a cloud save between devices? (iOS)

Wait, is Japan only indefinitely? Or is it just releasing later worldwide? I would really like to check how is it running on my phone before taking the plunge.

Wait, is Japan only indefinitely? Or is it just releasing later worldwide? I would really like to check how is it running on my phone before taking the plunge.

It was released worldwide two days ago, but was taken down today (presumably in countries other than Japan).

Everywhere outside of Japan we have just the paid version now.

I got the game, it is good old Lumines, I'd forgotten how much I like it!

However, the touch controls just SUCK... For a game that requires quick button presses and reflexes touch controls are just not precise and quick enough, I feel like they constantly get in my way...I may have to re-visit the PSP games. :)

dapoktan

Is this game subway safe? Or does it require constant or intermittent internet connection?

Maybe this game can finally replace Threes! As my go to subway game.

Shaneus

Is this game subway safe? Or does it require constant or intermittent internet connection?

Maybe this game can finally replace Threes! As my go to subway game.
Yup, it's safe :) It tries to connect when you start, but if it doesn't (only happened once to me) it goes into an "offline" mode. I think it's only leaderboards and that's it.

putermcgee

Japanese version got updated with fixes, nothing on the US version yet. Weird thing is, the F2P version also got updated, but won't download.

In other news, I *might* be able to play Lumines Mobile tonight if my new Sony Ericsson W580i works.

Pachimari

Japanese version got updated with fixes, nothing on the US version yet. Weird thing is, the F2P version also got updated, but won't download.

In other news, I *might* be able to play Lumines Mobile tonight if my new Sony Ericsson W580i works.
The game got updated in Europe too with bug fixes.

putermcgee

I'm now a proud owner of a Sony Ericsson W580i, and it came with both mobile Lumines games.

The original Lumines Mobile has some neat modes that I forgot about being missing from the latest iOS game, like Vs. CPU mode. The music is a weird mix of MIDI renditions from the original, but I haven't played enough recently to tell if there's anything original.

Lumines: In the House Ibiza '10 has a much larger playing field than the previous game as well as Puzzle & Music on iOS, but with feature phone controls, that's not a good thing. The music is also real music from some UK dance label, complete with cheesy, sensual lyrics I'd expect from gross Euro-DJs. It's low quality sound, but a step up from MIDI. In terms of modes, this one is pretty minimal, and the standard mode can be cleared (or at least looped back to the first track) with minimal effort.

After playing these for a while, going to the iOS game is so jarring. If you've ever spent a day on an iPad and then started using an iPhone, you'd know the feeling.

Sooooo, there was an update on android. Didn't seem to add anything, other than a glitch being avatar effects lasting for an unlimited time. Anyone else see this? Sure you can rack up great combos with the time stop but then you can't cash in on them!

This thread just reminded me that I lost all my progress because my phone got wiped. I didn't even know you had to upload the game save manually.

Starting over...

The first DLC pack for international players has released: the Sekai no Owari pack for $4.99. (You can find them on iTunes etc. as "End of the World.")

Having never heard of this band, I'm still strongly inclined to trust Mizuguchi's tastes in musical selection for this one.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I didn't even know this was out until I was browsing the App Store because the in-laws were coming to town. :p (I don't hate them -- they just like to watch the downstairs console-connected TV late into the night!)

As someone who fell in love with so many of the iterations of Lumines (especially Live! with its billion skin packs and leaderboard-chasing), I was pleasantly surprised by how good this game was. Touch controls will obviously never be quite ideal for Lumines, but unless Touch or whatever the earlier version was, in this game the controls are super responsive and actually quite good once you get used to them. (I don't think I'll ever get used to being able to rotate in only one direction, and man does it cost me combo strings to tap three times for what should be a single button press on a controller, but still.) I really like the depth of the single player too with the various avatars and unlocks.

edit: Oh man, just thought of: Rez in 4k...on PS4 Pro. Dang that would be nice.

putermcgee

I said this on the TA forums, but I don't get the feeling this set of songs was selected by Mizuguchi, but rather done in collaboration with Sekai no Owari to promote an upcoming album.

Me on TA:
The new songs are not very good, but maybe it's just me. The first or second song has long periods of time where the music is really low, like there's maybe something that's building up before dropping a beat, but then normal music comes back without anything exciting. The third song has the absolute worst lyrics. Your mileage may vary, but it works out to about $1/song, which is plenty fair.
I'd recommend checking the songs on YouTube to see if you like enough to buy the pack.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Does this game speed up over rounds? I honestly can't totally tell but I'm now 2+ hours into a session on Endless Classic and don't really think I'll hit a wall unless it speeds up significantly so might just bail since I think I've reached all the achievements. I remember on Live once you get into rounds 4+ it would get pretty damn fast but can't really perceive that here. I mean I've been playing for a couple hours and my eyes are now bloodshot af...so great that's Lumines...but probably no point continuing if I can literally just do this forever. :p

One nice thing was that the game crashed on me about 100 minutes in and I was pretty much going to never play it again because forget that, but got back in and it let me continue even off an app restart. Whoo!

Does this game speed up over rounds? I honestly can't totally tell but I'm now 2+ hours into a session on Endless Classic and don't really think I'll hit a wall unless it speeds up significantly so might just bail since I think I've reached all the achievements. I remember on Live once you get into rounds 4+ it would get pretty damn fast but can't really perceive that here. I mean I've been playing for a couple hours and my eyes are now bloodshot af...so great that's Lumines...but probably no point continuing if I can literally just do this forever. :p

One nice thing was that the game crashed on me about 100 minutes in and I was pretty much going to never play it again because forget that, but got back in and it let me continue even off an app restart. Whoo!

Not sure about endless but on single skin I feel like it speeds up

Is this playable with controllers? I don't have any phone specific controllers and I'm not familiar with Android at all really (this is my first smartphone, I know I'm late to the party) but I do have bluetooth controllers that should (?) work?

Shaneus

The Rez pack is out. It's got six tracks, and the skins are really nice. If you like Rez music, get it.
I bought it as soon as I could. Covers the aesthetic of the levels surprisingly well.

What I would give to see this theme appear on the Vita version :/

Deft Beck

I said this on the TA forums, but I don't get the feeling this set of songs was selected by Mizuguchi, but rather done in collaboration with Sekai no Owari to promote an upcoming album.

Me on TA:

I'd recommend checking the songs on YouTube to see if you like enough to buy the pack.

I really liked the SnO pack. Felt like it had more variety than the other packs.

Ugh. I thought that the last 50 stars I needed would come from DLC, but that's not the case.

Has anyone earned over 110 stars? What's the secret?

Is there a preview of the Rez pack anywhere?

I can't find any, but, like, it's the Rez stage music. The songs that everyone knows by now.

(It doesn't sound quite familiar - the mix is different, and Lumines music doesn't get as many buildups as Rez does. But you basically know what you're getting.)

Shaneus

Yeah, the Rez pack is basically the best thing to get if you want to relive the Rez experience on mobile. Only problem I had with it was that they didn't use the proper in-game version of Fear (stage 5), just the one off the OST release.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Did a quick Endless runthrough on Rez. Will post score here since there aren't any Leaderboards in-game afaik so maybe we can get some score attack going here. :p

bSeXt5p.jpg

Shaneus

Did a quick Endless runthrough on Rez. Will post score here since there aren't any Leaderboards in-game afaik so maybe we can get some score attack going here. :p

bSeXt5p.jpg
Yeah, I couldn't see any online leaderboards for the Rez stuff, sadly. Not easy for me to screen, but my score is 2,861,763 after 1:26:42.

Has anyone else picked up on that since the last few updates, you can resume a game? Means even if I run out of battery, I can continue playing after it's recharged.

My runs have just become a whole lot longer :/

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
haha yeah sorry snapped at the wrong time and then the ipad rebooted :p

1.55m 50min

Yay have a score to shoot for now!

Yeah ability to resume is quite nice. I do wish the game would speed up more over rounds than it does because I feel like I could go forever and basically did on my last Classic Endless run (hit #25 on global all-time leaderboards by playing 4+ hours). Maybe Rez does it a little quicker since there are way fewer skins -- will have to try it out.

Shaneus

Yeah ability to resume is quite nice. I do wish the game would speed up more over rounds than it does because I feel like I could go forever and basically did on my last Classic Endless run (hit #25 on global all-time leaderboards by playing 4+ hours). Maybe Rez does it a little quicker since there are way fewer skins -- will have to try it out.
Single skin mode absolutely does ramp up. Almost a little too much for my liking, still have a good handful of them that I just can't 5-star.

This is $3, but the Vita version is still expensive as hell, comparatively.

Kind of absurd.

The Vita version has buttons, the ability to rotate in either direction, a wider playfield, normal combo mechanics, all licensed music, much more music, 3D block effects, and edit mode.

Plus this is now actually $13 if you buy all the DLC.

Shaneus

The Vita version has buttons, the ability to rotate in either direction, a wider playfield, normal combo mechanics, all licensed music, much more music, 3D block effects, and edit mode.

Plus this is now actually $13 if you buy all the DLC.
I would kill to have Rez on the Vita Lumines :(

Yeah, the Rez pack is basically the best thing to get if you want to relive the Rez experience on mobile. Only problem I had with it was that they didn't use the proper in-game version of Fear (stage 5), just the one off the OST release.
I guess they really don't have clearance for that California Soul sample.

SirChop

Neo Member
Warning to anyone that purchases DLC and the DLC does not unlock:

1. Tap the Gear on the Upper Right
  2. Tap Support
  3. Tap Restore

This will make the game reboot and recheck your DLC. In my case, I purchased the Rez DLC, but it stated that the purchase failed. When I force quit and came back, the DLC was still locked and tapping the purchase button did nothing (not even a failed dialogue).

By doing the restore purchases, you can force a recheck of the DLC, and you'll get your access.

Shaneus

I guess they really don't have clearance for that California Soul sample.
Makes me wonder if they even did clear it for the Rez vinyl/digital download release, too. Guessing definitely not the latter, and given we haven't even seen a tracklisting, the former might not even see it either.

Top Bottom