• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lumines: Puzzle & Music | OT | Shinin on Android & iOS

So happy this game exists.

Currently hovering around 9 million on endless classic. I was gonna stop around 2 million but might as well keep going

Pachimari

So happy this game exists.

Currently hovering around 9 million on endless classic. I was gonna stop around 2 million but might as well keep going
9 fucking million? Are you insane?

Please do Shinin on Endless, and post a screenshot of it, so we can all compete in the weekly challenge.

Lkr

I wish there was a demo out. I have an iPhone plus and an IPad mini, would love to see how it feels before buying

I wish there was a demo out. I have an iPhone plus and an IPad mini, would love to see how it feels before buying

There's a F2P version coming soon (might be different but not sure).

Otherwise, it's $3 and an awesome version of Lumines for mobile.

Pachimari

The wording it used was not compatible _and_ in my country, but given that I have a Nexus 6 it seems a bit weird that it's not available...
It might also just be my link that only works for one country. Unless you tried searching directly in your play store which you probably already did. Strange if Nexus 6 were omitted.

There's a F2P version coming soon (might be different but not sure).

Otherwise, it's $3 and an awesome version of Lumines for mobile.
The free version next week includes the Puzzle & Music album. If you want the Classic album too you'll need to cash up the $3.

fr4nz

So much good memories with the PSP.
But this iOS version is really good ....

vAb4GZz.jpg

My second try (after going back to Lumines Live to practice a bit).

I think I was wrong about the rotation needing to be more sensitive. Eventually got used to it this run - you just have to tap lightly, which avoids the game misinterpreting it as a drag.

Really hope the Ultra Japan pack coming out on the 8th is a global release.

Also according to their Twitter, there are some touch/response optimizations coming out for the Android release. I'm not seeing any touch issues on iOS for what it's worth.

KiraXD

can someone validate me in that after playing this on mobile, we really need a Rez Mobile... i mean... touch controls would work perfectly with that game right? im not the only one who thinks this?

9 fucking million? Are you insane?

Please do Shinin on Endless, and post a screenshot of it, so we can all compete in the weekly challenge.

The game really should have better wording

"Do you want to restart" to me implies restart the game...not re start the game you already had going....

goodbye 9,000,000 :(

Pachimari

My second try (after going back to Lumines Live to practice a bit).

I think I was wrong about the rotation needing to be more sensitive. Eventually got used to it this run - you just have to tap lightly, which avoids the game misinterpreting it as a drag.

Thanks! I updated your score in the OP.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Any way to disable that file check on startup? Seems to hang forever when i'm on the train and don't have reception.

Thanks! I updated your score in the OP.

Thanks for maintaining the thread!

"Universe" (the actual song is Around the Universe by metalmouse) is an amazing return to "ending" the game with a nice vocal song. We haven't had that since Reality Check by Stigmato Inc. in Lumines II (which I think is my favorite one of these, even moreso than Lights).

RedSwirl

I just don't think I can do this without a physical pad. Does it have MFI compatibility? That might be the thing that finally pushes me to get one of those iOS controllers.

Edit: No Roundabout is some bullshit.

I can't say for sure whether a controller is supported or will/won't be supported, but I swear the touch controls actually work. Change the movement speed in the advanced settings to what feels natural for you, and use only light, quick taps for rotation.

Pachimari

I just don't think I can do this without a physical pad. Does it have MFI compatibility? That might be the thing that finally pushes me to get one of those iOS controllers.

Edit: No Roundabout is some bullshit.
We can into your hope they'll update it with MFI support eventually. For those who want it.

I can't say for sure whether a controller is supported or will/won't be supported, but I swear the touch controls actually work. Change the movement speed in the advanced settings to what feels natural for you, and use only light, quick taps for rotation.
This. The touch controls work.

Thanks for maintaining the thread!

"Universe" (the actual song is Around the Universe by metalmouse) is an amazing return to "ending" the game with a nice vocal song. We haven't had that since Reality Check by Stigmato Inc. in Lumines II (which I think is my favorite one of these, even moreso than Lights).
How many of these vocal song are there? I tuned out between Lumines 1 and Electronic Symphony. So Shinin, Reality Check, Lights and Around the Universe?

bounchfx

alright ya sold me

edit: not a great first impression. start up the game> Lumines needs control of your phone and voice. Um... no. Deny. closes. Open again, same thing. No. Game starts, 'checking version' freezes there forever. Restart, same shit. denied. then downloading songs, also stuck waiting forever. Lumines pls........

How many of these vocal song are there? I tuned out between Lumines 1 and Electronic Symphony. So Shinin, Reality Check, Lights and Around the Universe?

If we're not just talking about songs at the end of each game... there are a lot more.

Lumines 1 also had Shake Ya Body and I Hear the Music in My Soul (the ones nobody ever requests to come back).
Lumines II was full of vocal songs along with their actual music videos. Literally, playing Lumines with Black Eyed Peas and Hoobastank in the background.
Lumines Live had the Genki Rockets songs that everyone remembers. Fewer people remember that there were also plans to get Madonna into the game.

And you remember how Electronic Symphony was all licensed songs, including a bunch of vocal songs. The Future of the Future, Always Loved a Film, Celebrate our Love...

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Playing this just makes me wish Electronic Symphony had Shinin'.

Also getting tired of getting booted out of my game because I've "completed" the levels designated to a particular difficulty. Even from a casual's perspective, who would enjoy being forced to stop their progress and restart 4 times per album? Endless mode should've been unlocked from the start.

This game just makes me want to buy a Vita TV and get Electric Symphony. How's that compare to the first Lumines?
I think in terms of the main mode, ES is probably the strongest Lumines (if you ignore the avatar skills). A shame that it doesn't have puzzle mode though.

This game just makes me want to buy a Vita TV and get Electric Symphony. How's that compare to the first Lumines?

It introduced all the new mechanics that got carried over to this game: super and ultra bonuses, avatar abilities, the shuffle block, and changing how the chain block works.

It's the only Lumines so far that doesn't reuse any music from the first Lumines - it has 33 skins based on licensed songs in Voyage mode, and then another 10 original skins for skin edit mode.

Very diverse song selection taken mostly from 90s and 00s electronic music - some classics, some cheese, some dated songs. Personally I love that it all builds up to the classic trance anthems right at the end.

It's also the only Lumines with 3D blocks, which is a nice visual flourish.

gondwana

I don't feel ES plays as well as the games that ran off the original engine. It's not as snappy. I think there's a bit more lag and they fudged with the acceleration speed when you move a block horizontally. Maybe it's just me, but my time attack scores are, like, more than halved from the PSP/3 game, and I don't enjoy playing it as much.

Yeah, that avatar touchscreen thing in ES is bad/needless. You don't have to use it, though. Game's easy enough. Master mode even disables it, IIRC.

putermcgee

Reading about previous versions of Lumines had me checking eBay for a phone that can play J2ME games so I can relive Lumines Mobile. Gods help me if I end up with an N-Gage...

putermcgee

Does it count as a double post if it's a day later?

Anyway, the F2P Lumines and the Ultra Japan track pack have been delayed. One or both are waiting on app approval.

Shaneus

Does it count as a double post if it's a day later?

Anyway, the F2P Lumines and the Ultra Japan track pack have been delayed. One or both are waiting on app approval.
On the Australian store, Lumines Neo is available, as is the ultra pack. But the ultra pack can't be bought in the paid app, only in the free one?

Really hope the Ultra Japan pack coming out on the 8th is a global release.

Also according to their Twitter, there are some touch/response optimizations coming out for the Android release. I'm not seeing any touch issues on iOS for what it's worth.
Good. It's not so bad that it can ruin a run, but there are definitely times when I'm playing when I have to hit the block two or three times to get it to spin. Sometimes I end up doing it so frantically that I overspin at the last second.

It's really been my only issue with the game so far.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Game is fantastic. So glad it's on iOS. I bought it as soon as I saw it was finally available in the US Store.

Shaneus

So is Ultra only meant to be available in Neo? What's the difference between Neo and the regular full game?

Pachimari

So is Ultra only meant to be available in Neo? What's the difference between Neo and the regular full game?
We don't know. We just know, that Ultra Japan pack is only available in Neo as of this moment. The difference is, that one is paid, the other is free. And that the paid version comes with the Classic Vol. 1 pack.

so f2p coming? good, i'm not paying for mobile games.

It is out now. Got released today.

I gave Neo a go, and I find it very strange, that is is mostly in Japanese. They really need to translate that and apply an update very fast. I similarly find it strange, that the Ultra Japan pack is only available in Neo and not in Puzzle & Music. I take it, that it'll eventually come out for Puzzle & Music.

[edit] I updated the OP again with the proper album name and artwork.

putermcgee

I bought the Ultra Japan pack in the Japanese version. After playing through the album enough to clear hard mode, I don't think I care for some of the tracks. I hate the lyrics and vocals of No heroes, the samples get way too out of control in Bangarang, and there are a lot of times in Here for You that feel like bad looping.

The Veldt feels good in the game, and the song about mustaches is fun too.

Depending on how you feel about double-dipping, I'd say wait until this pack is in the paid version (outside of Japan).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
played Lumines like a motherfucker back in the day, probably my most played game on the PSP. wary about the controls from reading some of the posts, but I'll definitely give this version a chance.

Top Bottom