• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

M. Night Shyamalan announces sequel to Unbreakable on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafai1123

Banned
The twist is going to be that this is all happening in the same universe as Signs. Then his next film will be a Signs/Unbreakable/Split universe and the twist will be that it's also taking place in the same universe as the Sixth Sense. By the time the 3rd film rolls around Willis will be dealing with ghost-alien hybrid super-villains only he can see.

Birbo

So excited for this. Loved Unbreakable (wife & friends hated it though) and unfortunately had the Split ending ruined for me by a co-worker.

Is Unbreakable worth a watch in 2017? I've never seen it.

Definitely. I watched it a few weeks back with my 14 year old son who loved it and has asked a few times to re-watch it. He was blown away by the Split ending. Can't wait to tell him about Glass. :)

gamz

What a helluva comeback. I can't believe we are cheering for a movie from him now in 2017. Who would've thought?

What a helluva comeback. I can't believe we are cheering for a movie from him now in 2017. Who would've thought?

I've always thought that if he returned to what he was good at, that something like this would happen.

I'm happy that he did, and happy for him. Dude's taken a lot of shit (some rightfully so, some... definitely in the vitriolic side of the field) but I've always had insurmountable respect for the guy. His earlier movies were fucking brilliant IMO.

Still didn't think Split was great-- but when it ended, I was like ohhh damn he back boyz. We'll see how Glass turns out, but I think he knows he's gotten some of his stride back so I hope he doesn't fuck it up.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I've always thought that if he returned to what he was good at, that something like this would happen.

I'm happy that he did, and happy for him. Dude's taken a lot of shit (some rightfully so, some... definitely in the vitriolic side of the field) but I've always had insurmountable respect for the guy. His earlier movies were fucking brilliant IMO.

I must be one of the rare folk that loved pretty much all his movies outside a few. Airbender and After Earth I wasn't a fan. Everything else i either loved or liked.

Damn good call, but did you think Split would be it?
Nope. But I can tell you I haven't been that surprised and pumped in a movie theatre in a very long time. As soon as those first opening notes of Visions started, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up and my wife thought I was going insane.

I was.

Obviously not, the post says he thinks Unbreakable 2 is going to be it.

Split is what "redeemed" him.

(Also, the idea that Sam Jackson needs "redeeming" is weird)
That quote is from 2008. I'm trying to think of shit outside of Snakes on a Plane and other films that weren't Black Snake Moan that I could have been referencing at the time.

I must be one of the rare folk that loved pretty much all his movies outside a few. Airbender and After Earth I wasn't a fan. Everything else i either loved or liked.

The Sixth Sense through The Village are fantastic, IMO.

Lady in the Water was lame, The Happening was pure nonsense, Last Airbender I actually found enjoyable to a degree but wasn't very well done, and After Earth was pure crap (but also a shitty screenplay in general). The Visit, despite some decent word of mouth, wasn't as good as I'd hoped based on that.

Split was pretty good, but not great or excellent for me. Like it didn't have quite enough to it or something. Was missing another subplot or more character development.

I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't seen Split yet reading this thread.

Or, the news? This is news. They're not even trying to cover it up. The director announced all of this on Twitter.

James McAvoy and Anya Taylor-Joy, from Split, are in Glass. You can't really announce this without spoiling that there's a connection.

Fantastic. As a superhero movie, I hope it becomes more pronounced. I LOVED the grounded nature in the first two, and would love to see that continue, but turned up for the 3rd movie.

I loved Unbreakable and Split

gamz

Lady in the Water was lame, The Happening was pure nonsense, Last Airbender I actually found enjoyable to a degree but wasn't very well done, and After Earth was pure crap (but also a shitty screenplay in general). The Visit, despite some decent word of mouth, wasn't as good as I'd hoped based on that.

Split was pretty good, but not great or excellent for me. Like it didn't have quite enough to it or something. Was missing another subplot or more character development.

Or, the news? This is news. They're not even trying to cover it up. The director announced all of this on Twitter.

I agree, but I loved The Visit and Split. I'm glad the past year The Village is getting a rewatch on certain blogs. It holds up really well and better than I remember it.

James McAvoy and Anya Taylor-Joy, from Split, are in Glass. You can't really announce this without spoiling that there's a connection.

I know you can't announce it without spoiling split's twist but it's still a nice surprise for people who had already seen Unbreakable. That being said, knowing the twist hardly ruins the movie and I hadn't seen Unbreakable before seeing Split and still enjoyed the movie fine. But yeah I knew eventually Split's twist couldn't last.

I agree, but I loved The Visit and Split. I'm glad the past year The Village is getting a rewatch on certain blogs. It holds up really well and better than I remember it.

I didn't like The Village the first time I saw it because I went in expecting a horror film. It was marketed all wrong. But when I got around to watching it for what it was, I mean there's some phenomenal stuff about that movie. It's beautifully shot, personal, the score is god-tier and the atmosphere in general was terrific.

I know you can't announce it without spoiling split's twist but it's still a nice surprise for people who had already seen Unbreakable. That being said, knowing the twist hardly ruins the movie and I hadn't seen Unbreakable before seeing Split and still enjoyed the movie fine. But yeah I knew eventually Split's twist couldn't last.

Sure. Honestly the Unbreakable connection doesn't directly factor into the film's main plot as it stands.

Razmos

I watched Split tonight after hearing this news, it was really good. Had me and my boyfriend hooked. I loved the way they slowly led up to the revelation of
his powers. Like where the kid identity wasn't strong enough to open the door when the 2 girls were holding it, and then he switched identities and breezed through it

Axial

tenor.gif
After all the stuff I've read about how the guy behaves on set and how much of an asshole he apparently is, I can totally imagine this being his reaction when someone presented him the idea for a "Unbreakable" sequel.

Fantastic. As a superhero movie, I hope it becomes more pronounced. I LOVED the grounded nature in the first two, and would love to see that continue, but turned up for the 3rd movie.

I loved Unbreakable and Split
I really hope it keeps the grounded TONE of Unbreakable. So much effort was made to make David Dunn human. The marital problems where him and his wife try going on a date night, him having problems of feeling unfulfilled in his life, him needing comfort from his wife. David Dunn is really just a sensitive man. That's what makes him going after serial killers and super villains so much more interesting and scary. The stakes of this average guy with all these normal, relatable insecurities standing up to that kind of crazy shit.

I really, really hope M Night doesn't forget that. We already lost John McClane to Bruce Willis' willingness to phone it in. Unbreakable was one of his greatest, most nuanced performances. I'm praying Night and Willis give everything to preserving who David Dunn is. Don't let him just become another Bruce Willis-faced hero.

gamz

After all the stuff I've read about how the guy behaves on set and how much of an asshole he apparently is, I can totally imagine this being his reaction when someone presented him the idea for a "Unbreakable" sequel.

And yet Night has never said a bad word about him and this is their third movie together.

Moppeh

Banned
Unbreakable is complete trash but I'm happy this is a thing. I still haven't seen Split but I like this sudden and insane Shyamalan superhero universe.

strafer

Yet he keeps doing those Die Hard sequels.

Buckle

Split was entertaining so pretty happy to hear he's going to follow it up with
Bruce Willis beating the shit out of James Mcavoy.

Good to see Casey back too.

Heres hoping she actually has powers and blows her uncle's head up scanners style.

(I may or may not have been rooting for something like that to happen in Split once it started looking like the unbreakableverse)

Lady in the Water was lame, The Happening was pure nonsense, Last Airbender I actually found enjoyable to a degree but wasn't very well done, and After Earth was pure crap (but also a shitty screenplay in general). The Visit, despite some decent word of mouth, wasn't as good as I'd hoped based on that
The Happening is one hell of a comedy though

Solo

Just rewatched Split for the first time since theatres on Bluray. Goddamn what a movie. With or without the Unbreakable twist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom