Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Recently sold my 2008 Macbook (which i treated like a baby, it was still like new), and used the cash to buy a second hand 2008 iMac. 2.4GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD etc.

Love it to bits. For what i use it for... music/Ableton, web, word processing, photoshop, the odd game of TF2 or CSS... it absolutely flies. The guy looked after the thing, its in pristine condition (aside from a fingerprint under the screen where hes changed the HDD, but its only noticable when screen is off, and its barely there anyway).

Love it to bits and i reckon itll last me a good while.
 
I have a refurbished quad core iMac and there is one small piece of fuzz under the glass in the bottom left hand corner. Gotta get the suction cups after that stinker. Just replaced a 20" iMac that gave me over four years of great service.
 
Right I got a question: I've got a 13 inch MacBook Late 2008 model (according to Lion). It's the aluminium MacBook before they called it a MacBook "Pro".

I've got 4 GB Ram in which is the Apple maximum. But reports have come out saying it can take 8 GB Ram quite happily.

Anybody tried?? Also has anyone installed an SSD into this machine?? How is it??
 
Well, what do you need for your daily needs? See, you can develop on ANY Mac. Apple GIVES you the tools to do it. (Unlike Microsoft who charges you an arm and a leg for their development tools) So it comes down to, what do you need the computer for?

Do you need a desktop?

Do you need a laptop?

Apple Laptops are the most popular. You can take them anywhere, especially the Air's.

But the desktops are super powerful. The iMac is amazingly fast.

Then again, it's all about what you plan on doing with it BESIDES development.


Me, I use laptops exclusively now. I can never go back to a desktop. I hate being tethered. And I don't like having both a desktop and a laptop because I like having everything in one place without having to sync. No having to deal with two sets of documents and two desktop layouts. I keep a Mac mini connected to a TV for all things that I need to do with a second computer, like watch videos and movies, backup my files and processor intensive tasks like video transcoding. But my MacBook Pro is my main machine. Soon to be an Air instead. Those would be MY recommendation. But only because of its portability. Not its power. It's no Quad-Core. But it works.
 
I got a Macbook Pro yesterday :)

It's nice to have a functioning laptop again, I've been desktop-only for almost 4 years.

I won't post the specs sheet because it's just a basic 2.0ghz i7, 4gb ram, 15".
 
Jasoco said:
Well, what do you need for your daily needs? See, you can develop on ANY Mac. Apple GIVES you the tools to do it. (Unlike Microsoft who charges you an arm and a leg for their development tools) So it comes down to, what do you need the computer for?

Do you need a desktop?

Do you need a laptop?

Apple Laptops are the most popular. You can take them anywhere, especially the Air's.

But the desktops are super powerful. The iMac is amazingly fast.

Then again, it's all about what you plan on doing with it BESIDES development.


Me, I use laptops exclusively now. I can never go back to a desktop. I hate being tethered. And I don't like having both a desktop and a laptop because I like having everything in one place without having to sync. No having to deal with two sets of documents and two desktop layouts. I keep a Mac mini connected to a TV for all things that I need to do with a second computer, like watch videos and movies, backup my files and processor intensive tasks like video transcoding. But my MacBook Pro is my main machine. Soon to be an Air instead. Those would be MY recommendation. But only because of its portability. Not its power. It's no Quad-Core. But it works.
Thanks for all the tips, well I need a lap top so its between the air and pro, I have a gaming PC set up to my LED at home, so I wouldn't use it for gaming, so it wouldn't need tons of power, it would purely be for dev, and surfing the net and the odd movie or two when I am traveling.It sounds like you are leaning towards an air after having a pro, why the change?
 
Ninja Dom said:
Right I got a question: I've got a 13 inch MacBook Late 2008 model (according to Lion). It's the aluminium MacBook before they called it a MacBook "Pro".

I've got 4 GB Ram in which is the Apple maximum. But reports have come out saying it can take 8 GB Ram quite happily.

Anybody tried?? Also has anyone installed an SSD into this machine?? How is it??
An SSD will make it fly with certain tasks. What kind of SSD to install depends on what version of SATA you have in there. I put in a OWC SSD in a newer MBP and I love it.
 
ChocolatePuddin said:
Ok guys I need some advice, I am in the market for a Mac, but which one should I get if my main focus will be App development?
are you going to want it to be portable? If so a macbook air with 4gb ram or a macbook pro should be enough for that task. If you do not want it to be portable and plan to use it more like a desktop, the iMac base model would be more then enough to handle those tasks.
 
Alright GAF, I've put my 15" MBP (2.4 i5, 4GB, 320GB) on ebay and twice removed it. I've been considering going with the 11" MBA (1.8 i7, 4GB, 128GB). Clearly it's a downgrade, but I don't need the advertised power of my MBP, and to be honest, it's not really performed as I would have expected. I know lesser-than MBPs that do better.

I'd also be able to use that back to school credit for some much-needed software upgrades.

I'm a political science/philosophy student that works for a newspaper, so I don't do very intensive work, I'd just have Pages, Mail, Twitter, Safari, Adium, and iTunes open at once. The MBA could handle that, surely?

Just give me feedback, I need a smaller computer.
 
ngower said:
Alright GAF, I've put my 15" MBP (2.4 i5, 4GB, 320GB) on ebay and twice removed it. I've been considering going with the 11" MBA (1.8 i7, 4GB, 128GB). Clearly it's a downgrade, but I don't need the advertised power of my MBP, and to be honest, it's not really performed as I would have expected. I know lesser-than MBPs that do better.

I'd also be able to use that back to school credit for some much-needed software upgrades.

I'm a political science/philosophy student that works for a newspaper, so I don't do very intensive work, I'd just have Pages, Mail, Twitter, Safari, Adium, and iTunes open at once. The MBA could handle that, surely?

Just give me feedback, I need a smaller computer.
We should hang out some time.

In response to your question, you should be fine.
 
Jasoco said:
Me, I use laptops exclusively now. I can never go back to a desktop. I hate being tethered. And I don't like having both a desktop and a laptop because I like having everything in one place without having to sync. No having to deal with two sets of documents and two desktop layouts. I keep a Mac mini connected to a TV for all things that I need to do with a second computer, like watch videos and movies, backup my files and processor intensive tasks like video transcoding. But my MacBook Pro is my main machine. Soon to be an Air instead. Those would be MY recommendation. But only because of its portability. Not its power. It's no Quad-Core. But it works.
I've gone between an ibook, mac mini and currently MBP.

I love the MBP but i'm debating switching to an iMac, sacrificing portability for power and screen size. Though to be honest, I kind of like the idea of having a dedicated computer space for work and leave couch surfing to an iPad.

I'm just paranoid I may regret ditching the portability of the MBP
 
betweenthewheels said:
I've gone between an ibook, mac mini and currently MBP.

I love the MBP but i'm debating switching to an iMac, sacrificing portability for power and screen size. Though to be honest, I kind of like the idea of having a dedicated computer space for work and leave couch surfing to an iPad.

I'm just paranoid I may regret ditching the portability of the MBP
why...wouldn't you just buy a big monitor?

if you buy an iMac, you have to toss the monitor with the computer. the "all in one" experience. Buy a nice external monitor for you MBP and you can use it on however many computers you want.

all 3 of your current Macs could benefit from a new, large monitor.
 

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I don't have a Mac but am considering the $800 new Mac Mini.

I have a few questions regarding the build quality. The thing is tiny, seems sturdy, has no moving parts (with the exception of the hard drive), has low power consumption and is said to be near-silent. But would you say it's actually the best choice I could make if I actually want something that will last for years? I am talking about raw performance, but things such as not gathering dust, effectively dissipating heat, enduring shocks and the like. Because that's one of the things I care most about. In case you're wondering, no, I'm not in the market for a Macbook, and the iMac is tempting but less than the Mini.

So, from that perspective, how does the Mac Mini fare compared to the average Shuttle/Mini-PC ? Because aside from size/weight and OSX, the overall reliability and durability is the main reason why I would get a Mac Mini over a PC equivalent.

Again, I'm looking at keeping it for years. Maybe 5, maybe more if I can (my current desktop PC is 7 years old). What do you think?
 
Milhouse said:
Here's what I have:



I got it as soon as it updated last year after waiting for half a year, along with the 1050 resolution. Hopefully it will last me a while. I can't afford Lion right now.

Edit: Should have mentioned it's a 15" MBP.
I have a dilema here.

As much as I thought I would use this for a long time (reason I got such high specs), I decided to put it on Craigslist for $1600 and someone bit. I thought I wouldn't get a reply. The reason is because I don't need the power at the moment and have trouble paying utilities. I thought $1600 is reasonable for this machine, so that's what I put it for (perfect condition). I thought I can downgrade (or upgrade depending on who your talking to) to an Air and have a couple hundred dollars for bills. Worth it?

More details: i'm in San Diego and I got an email saying they have cash in hand and gave me a 619 number. I did not reply yet. Craigslist transaction tips? Help is appreciated.

Computer: 2010 15" i7. Hi-Res.
 
First of all: Nice OP! Weird that we never had a Mac OT.

Second:

To the people with the high-end MBP. How is the gaming going for you guys? No overheating problems?
I'm getting my MBP any day now, and I'm wondering if I shouldn't buy a cooling pad or something. Because I'm scared it might screw up when I'm playing like 4-5 hours non-stop.
 
Milhouse said:
I have a dilema here.
1. public place. Starbucks or something
2. try and go directly to a place of deposit after if possible
3. Take a look at some rudimentary online guides to tell real money from fake money. Might be hard since it's american funds but recommended nonetheless
 

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anyone here have size / thickness / material comparison shots between a silver 2008 Macbook Pro and both sizes of the 2011 Macbook Air? I realize that's an absurdly specific thing to ask for.
 
Dreams-Visions said:
why...wouldn't you just buy a big monitor?

if you buy an iMac, you have to toss the monitor with the computer. the "all in one" experience. Buy a nice external monitor for you MBP and you can use it on however many computers you want.

all 3 of your current Macs could benefit from a new, large monitor.
I've considered just getting a big monitor. Sure, it's not as sexy and clutter free as an iMac but you get the best of both worlds.

Also, are there any photoshop/FCP users here that use the magic mouse?
 
eravulgaris said:
First of all: Nice OP! Weird that we never had a Mac OT.

Second:

To the people with the high-end MBP. How is the gaming going for you guys? No overheating problems?
I'm getting my MBP any day now, and I'm wondering if I shouldn't buy a cooling pad or something. Because I'm scared it might screw up when I'm playing like 4-5 hours non-stop.
I would definitely consider heat issues if I were you. My MBP heats up pretty fast when video editing.
 
Futureman said:
I would definitely consider heat issues if I were you. My MBP heats up pretty fast when video editing.
Interesting because I'm going to do some video editing too. What programs do you use and how do they run? (After Effects?)
 
eravulgaris said:
Interesting because I'm going to do some video editing too. What programs do you use and how do they run? (After Effects?)
Second on the system heating up when video editing. I primarily use Final Cut Pro 7 along with the Adobe Production Suite.
 
Crazymoogle said:
1. public place. Starbucks or something
2. try and go directly to a place of deposit after if possible
3. Take a look at some rudimentary online guides to tell real money from fake money. Might be hard since it's american funds but recommended nonetheless
Yeah, i've recently sold a few video game stuff recently and it's always been in a public place, but it's never involved this much money. I wasn't even thinking of counterfeit money.

Any other opinions (including how bad of a deal this is for me, if legit)?
 
I have a potential deal to grab an unused 256gb SSD for my 2011 MPB for $250. Should I bite? It's the Toshiba drive that Apple offers (Trim support, etc).
 
eravulgaris said:
Interesting because I'm going to do some video editing too. What programs do you use and how do they run? (After Effects?)
I use Production Premium. After Effects and Premiere Pro CS5. The fans are the annoying thing about it heating up. I mean, yea the heat sucks, but you can just put it on a desk if it's too hot or point a fan at it. Programs run great. I edit Canon 5DII footage. I did a couple of TV commercials and event photography stuff just fine on the machine.

I assume you are buying a new one right? I just bought an iMac yesterday and I'm selling my mid-2010 MBP if you were interested. Final price after tax and everything was $2,362.

Core i7, 4GB ram, Hi-Res anti-glare screen. $1,650 shipped.
 

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
NekoFever said:
Man, the old style Mac Minis look really bulky now. I remember being blown away by how tiny they were when I first saw one.
Yeah. I have an old style, while my wife works with a new one... I am envious of how small and sexy her Mac Mini looks while mine looks like a damn brick.
 
sn1pes: SSD's have changed my experience with computers. Short of a game console or external backup drive I'll never use a regular hard drive again. It's worth far more to me than any video card upgrade.

Milhouse said:
Yeah, i've recently sold a few video game stuff recently and it's always been in a public place, but it's never involved this much money. I wasn't even thinking of counterfeit money.

Any other opinions (including how bad of a deal this is for me, if legit)?
No idea...whats the price dif to retail? Generally speaking it needs to be a deal or you won't have buyers though...

I'm sure there are actual craigslist meetup tips guides out there, but the basic gist is if you think the money is probably real it's best to deposit it ASAP anyway so that a) if there are any problems the bank has to sort it out and b) you don't get tailed

Apart from that just make sure you do a good job of wiping any personal data and that it's ready to use - I'd probably just go sit down with it on at a Starbucks, have a coffee, browse the web for a bit, so they can see that it all works when they come in.

From what my wife tells me frequently listers will try to bargain you down when they show up, knowing that you're already mentally starting to count on the money you asked for. Best to decide now, before you go, how much less you'd be willing to accept, and otherwise just be firm on your price. Sometimes people will walk if you don't bargain down, but hey, it's your shit, don't let it go for less than you're comfortable with.
 
Futureman said:
I use Production Premium. After Effects and Premiere Pro CS5. The fans are the annoying thing about it heating up. I mean, yea the heat sucks, but you can just put it on a desk if it's too hot or point a fan at it. Programs run great. I edit Canon 5DII footage. I did a couple of TV commercials and event photography stuff just fine on the machine.

I assume you are buying a new one right? I just bought an iMac yesterday and I'm selling my mid-2010 MBP if you were interested. Final price after tax and everything was $2,362.

Core i7, 4GB ram, Hi-Res anti-glare screen. $1,650 shipped.
Yes, it's already at the store waiting for me. :)

Thanks for the info!
 
Stupid question, MacGAF:

I have an iMac 2006 running at home. Poor thing is starting to feel its age, but its doing admirably, all things considered. Is it possible to find RAM for the thing, or is it too outdated to... update?
 
Crazymoogle said:
sn1pes: SSD's have changed my experience with computers. Short of a game console or external backup drive I'll never use a regular hard drive again. It's worth far more to me than any video card upgrade.



No idea...whats the price dif to retail? Generally speaking it needs to be a deal or you won't have buyers though...

I'm sure there are actual craigslist meetup tips guides out there, but the basic gist is if you think the money is probably real it's best to deposit it ASAP anyway so that a) if there are any problems the bank has to sort it out and b) you don't get tailed

Apart from that just make sure you do a good job of wiping any personal data and that it's ready to use - I'd probably just go sit down with it on at a Starbucks, have a coffee, browse the web for a bit, so they can see that it all works when they come in.

From what my wife tells me frequently listers will try to bargain you down when they show up, knowing that you're already mentally starting to count on the money you asked for. Best to decide now, before you go, how much less you'd be willing to accept, and otherwise just be firm on your price. Sometimes people will walk if you don't bargain down, but hey, it's your shit, don't let it go for less than you're comfortable with.
I bought it when it updated from the Apple website with a student discount. If I recall, probably over $2100. I put $1600 as the price after really thinking: comparing it to ebay prices, Apple refurb prices (of course going lower or people won't buy), and the lowest i'm willing to accept (saying it's firm). I will not go lower because I already did go as low as possible (thinking $1700, but knowing know one will buy).

Similar to this minus anti-glare: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC666LL/A?mco=MTgxNDI5MTY I'm also sure it's in better condition than you'll find any refurb for. Plus they won't be paying tax.
 
My MacBook Pro with 128GB SSD and 8GB RAM:

Soon to be replaced by an Air! Eventually!

My Mac mini Server with all my hard drives and media and backups:


In Lion, the drives are displayed with the colored bands if you have the drive indexed. If you block it from Spotlight, they just show up as yellow "Other". Normally I keep the Clones unindexed since they don't need to show up in Spotlight. I removed them from exclusion to prove my theory.
 
eravulgaris said:
First of all: Nice OP! Weird that we never had a Mac OT.

Second:

To the people with the high-end MBP. How is the gaming going for you guys? No overheating problems?
I'm getting my MBP any day now, and I'm wondering if I shouldn't buy a cooling pad or something. Because I'm scared it might screw up when I'm playing like 4-5 hours non-stop.
I think I can answer this. I have the 2011 15" 'High End' MBP with High-res screen.

Through OS X, I play WoW, Valve games, Civ games, indie games, etc without issues all at 1080p though an external monitor.

Through bootcamp I can run Bad Company 2 pretty well (can't remember what resolution and detail level though) and just about anything else.

It certainly gets warm, though. Gaming, watching video, etc will bump your CPU temp up to the 80-90c area pretty quickly, but the fans kick on at that point and do a decent job at keeping the temp somewhat stable, around 80ish degrees Celsius.

Yes, that's extremely warm, but you aren't running a desktop with tons of room for cooling. i7's are rated to run at 90-100c and anything over that the system should shut down. I've never had a shutdown due to heat.
 
Milhouse said:
More details: i'm in San Diego and I got an email saying they have cash in hand and gave me a 619 number. I did not reply yet. Craigslist transaction tips? Help is appreciated.
I bought a MacBook from a site like Craigslist (Kijiji). Guy brought computer to my office, I gave him a cheque. Told him where the nearby banks were and to come back if he had trouble cashing it (I knew he wouldn't).
 
sn1pes said:
I think I can answer this. I have the 2011 15" 'High End' MBP with High-res screen.

Through OS X, I play WoW, Valve games, Civ games, indie games, etc without issues all at 1080p though an external monitor.

Through bootcamp I can run Bad Company 2 pretty well (can't remember what resolution and detail level though) and just about anything else.

It certainly gets warm, though. Gaming, watching video, etc will bump your CPU temp up to the 80-90c area pretty quickly, but the fans kick on at that point and do a decent job at keeping the temp somewhat stable, around 80ish degrees Celsius.

Yes, that's extremely warm, but you aren't running a desktop with tons of room for cooling. i7's are rated to run at 90-100c and anything over that the system should shut down. I've never had a shutdown due to heat.
Alright! This sounds so good. The wait is almost unbearable. Too bad I won't have the high-resolution, but it wasn't an option for me...
 
Aw, i love my magic mouse...

Although my Bluetooth Adapter that I had to buy (D-Link)...seems like the connection is a little week as the mouse movement isn't always 100% smooth.
 
What I wouldn't give for a wired Magic Trackpad.

Can't say I'm sad to see the magic mouse gone. Never liked any of the mac mice I've been using since ~1995, but it was only ever an issue at schools where they wouldn't swap the mice out for better ones :(
 
rhfb said:
What I wouldn't give for a wired Magic Trackpad.

Can't say I'm sad to see the magic mouse gone. Never liked any of the mac mice I've been using since ~1995, but it was only ever an issue at schools where they wouldn't swap the mice out for better ones :(
Apple sells a rechargable battery set and charger with 6 batteries for $29.
 
If I don't buy an MBA soon, I might end up just waiting for the refresh :(

Also, my gf bought a 13" MBA to replace her 2010 MacBook plastic. It was my idea. Got $750 for the MacBook, originally bought for $1000 with a free iPod touch. Not bad. I couldn't convince her to go for the 11" because the laptop is her only computer. Fair enough. I'm still a 11" or less or bust laptop person.
 
When the fuck is the Mac Pro refresh happening? I want to get one but to do so at this point and pay all that money for a Mac with no Thunderbolt seems short-sighted.