• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macron Campaign Emails Hacked and Posted Online

Kelsdesu

uSeSlKw.png

STOP BEING SO MEAN TO RUSSIA!

Russia, the bastion of fair play and open democratic elections... what did they do to deserve such treatment?!

He really working for them... Wooow.

The point isn't to make Macron lose, just as the point wasn't to make Hillary lose. It's to cripple who they think is going to win and foster doubt in the incoming administration.

This is only further proof to my point that war with Russia and Putin is a necessary inevitability to secure the future of the free world.

Anyone who says otherwise is no different from those who thought that Hitler could be appeased.

The point isn't to make Macron lose, just as the point wasn't to make Hillary lose. It's to cripple who they think is going to win and foster doubt in the incoming administration.

Why is there an inherent assumption that there is something negative in this release? There have been countless releases with trivial and pointless stuff in them done by these kinds of hackers. Most of the Podesta releases were worthless.

You're doing their work for them by making assumptions without seeing a thing.

Ac30

Why is there an inherent assumption that there is something negative in this release? There have been countless releases with trivial and pointless stuff in them done by these kinds of hackers.

The problem is that the voter base thinks the same - it's always negative first, now, even if there's jack in there.

The good thing is that macron's base probably isn't trolling alt-right twitter anyways lol

This is only further proof to my point that war with Russia and Putin is a necessary inevitability to secure the future of the free world.

Anyone who says otherwise is no different from those who thought that Hitler could be appeased.

Not necessarily. But I do think that western countries should start making laws that force social media to ban Russian IP addresses.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Luckily Le Pen has absolutely no chance of winning, so I'm not too worried about this. But jeez, is there anything we can do about about these Russian hackers? Can they actually be stopped or are we just gonna have to put up with this shit forever?

Dunno, would it be possible to cut Russia off the internet entirely until they stop being fuckers?

Then again that would probably drive the isolationist crazy up tenfold lol.

I appreciate the passion here but Putin has enough nukes to wipe out the globe 10 times over. We're just gonna have to invest in better IT security.

sphagnum

Banned

Russia has nuclear weapons.

The problem is that the voter base thinks the same - it's always negative first, now, even if there's jack in there.

The good thing is that macron's base probably isn't trolling alt-right twitter anyways lol

I'm not sure how true that is. It's the US media that attributed that tone to their coverage.

I appreciate the passion here but Putin has enough nukes to wipe out the globe 10 times over. We're just gonna have to invest in better IT security.

Doesn't help if people behind the computers fall for phishing attempts.

Why is there an inherent assumption that there is something negative in this release? There have been countless releases with trivial and pointless stuff in them.

The assumption is that when someone dumps thousands of legitimate documents, it's really easy to put in a few incriminating fakes in there.

Regardless of the contents, there's still the very obvious signaling done by FN officials: Philippot gleefully tweeted about it at 23:40, 20 minutes before the campaign officially ended, and other FN officials followed suit. They're basically trolling everyone and whatever the fallout is, they're destabilizing norms and institutions further.

Lautaro

False equivalency. There were no nuclear weapons back then.

Putin must be faced the same way some countries are doing it now: with heavy sanctions and maybe responding their cyberattacks with something similar.

Pretty irresponsible what you said in my opinion, it also reeks of keyboard warrior mentality.

Not necessarily. But I do think that western countries should start making laws that force social media to ban Russian IP addresses.

All that changes is that they operate through proxies or offices outside of Russia. North Korean hackers, for as ineffectual as they are, figured that trick out years ago.

LMAO, you want to start a shooting war with another country over some hacked emails?

Especially another country which is a nuclear power?

False equivalency. There were no nuclear weapons back then.

Putin must be faced the same way some countries are doing it now: with heavy sanctions and maybe responding their cyberattacks with something similar.

I don't think you understand the advantages a police state has against a free and open democracy. They can do this to us and we can't do that to them. It's an exploit that he is gonna keep using. And by the time we come round to that, we'll be too busy fighting among ourselves.

tuxfool

Banned
Why is there an inherent assumption that there is something negative in this release? There have been countless releases with trivial and pointless stuff in them done by these kinds of hackers. Most of the Podesta releases were worthless.

I don't think anybody assumes anything, but rather the thought process behind leaking a ton of documents, regardless of the fact of whether there is anything incriminating.

It also might have a Gish Gallop effect.

Ac30

I'm not sure how true that is. It's the US media that attributed that tone to their coverage.

Doesn't help if people behind the computers fall for phishing attempts.

You could well be right - I've spent far too much time following US news over the last year

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Something something NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST something something

HariKari

Russia has nuclear weapons. The tactic here is to wait for Putin to be removed from power, rather than risk the entire world being destroyed.

Lautaro

I don't think you understand the advantages a police state has against a free and open democracy. They can do this to us and we can't do that to them. It's an exploit that he is gonna keep using. And by the time we come round to that, we'll be too busy fighting among ourselves.

I wouldn't be so absolute... Russia is not North Korea, sure airing dirty laundry for the regime makes less damage than in a proper democracy but they still rush to cover it because they know is not harmless, for example: some time ago information about Medvedev's corruption was uncovered and there were protests and arrests (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...cuses-russian-prime-minister-dmitry-medvedev/). And that information was uncovered without high tech hacking but old school investigation.

All that changes is that they operate through proxies or offices outside of Russia. North Korean hackers, for as ineffectual as they are, figured that trick out years ago.

And you don't think that such restrictions contribute to the ineffectualness of NK hackers?

Zubz

Banned
Clinton barely had anything & the media/Republicans was still rabid. What the hell are they trying to spin on Macron? That he's the last bastion for a democracy not voting to destroy itself?

Toxi

Banned
Clinton barely had anything & the media/Republicans was still rabid. What the hell are they trying to spin on Macron? That he's the last bastion for a democracy not voting to destroy itself?
They're saying bullshit. The goal is to spread the bullshit to as many people as possible, because there will always be gullible people.

Validity holds less sway than volume.

I wouldn't be so absolute... Russia is not North Korea, sure airing dirty laundry for the regime makes less damage than in a proper democracy but they still rush to cover it because they know is not harmless, for example: some time ago information about Medvedev's corruption was uncovered and there were protests and arrests (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...cuses-russian-prime-minister-dmitry-medvedev/). And that information was uncovered without high tech hacking but old school investigation.

What is this nonsense. You can't change the regime inside Russia. You can't use that protest angst and coalesce it into a political party with a leader. Because that leader, ends up with a hole in the head, or poisoned.

The protests play to Vlads fear and paranoia. But he knows he could clamp it down hard if he wanted. But a bunch of people protesting on the streets equates to nothing. Did the womens march on Trump change him from being a fucking prick?

No, but at least you can vote trump out in 4 years. Democrats aren't getting assassinated.

Like come on already. It's their biggest advantage. They have a much, much better repression.

It's regime change essentially, what Russians are doing. Looking at two candidates one being completely bonkers that will change things, fundamentally. With no blood cost.

We should of done that in Iraq maybe :D Less dead troops! Oh we couldn't because again, they are dictatorships.

shem935

Banned
Literally the worst thing in Podesta's emails were a risotto recipe and an email complaining about someone. Thankfully France's media doesn't seem as stupid as ours so he should be okay.

Nah, it's about far right candidates. Anti-EU, anti-NATO, disruptive far right candidates.

They'd be happy to keep people like Le Pen in power indefinitely.

not exclussive to the Far-Right.

Far-Left parties and politicians who are also Anti-NATO, Anti-Eu and Anti-West also get a dose of Putin love.

Syriza in Greece, Podemos in Spain, Jill Stein in the USA

Lautaro

What is this nonsense.

Welp, I guess if you say it with such conviction then it must be true. My bad for bringing a previous event to support my opinion if you only need to call it "nonsense" to counter it.

Only one more thing: Russia has a history of strong authoritarian regimes and they all end sooner or later. Putin already has to deal with serious economic problems... who knows, maybe the whole regime is not replaced but a new autocrat could replace him.

Madness

The crazy thing is, I actually want this to happen because it exposes a lot of shady stuff. The shitty thing is that it is one sided and biased and trying to influence the election. That is why Wikileaks has lost credibility. Imagine the treasure trove of Trump stuff they could hack but don't. Any big things out of this Macron link?

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Now French social media, comment sections, and forums will be flooded with Russian trolls. There will likely be 1 or 2 devastating documents that will be 'found' in the hack, and they will be pushed hard. The media and Macron's party will have no avenue to inform the public.

If the Russians work effectively (and they've shown that they can) this can turn what just a few hours ago was a sure thing, into a nail biter.

The crazy thing is, I actually want this to happen because it exposes a lot of shady stuff. The shitty thing is that it is one sided and biased and trying to influence the election. That is why Wikileaks has lost credibility. Imagine the treasure trove of Trump stuff they could hack but don't. Any big things out of this Macron link?

What shady stuff would you be discussing in your work related e-mail? What shady stuff was discovered about Podesta?

Other than a couple bitter DNC people complaining to each other about Sanders, what shady stuff was discovered regarding the DNC?

Welp, I guess if you say it with such conviction then it must be true. My bad for bringing a previous event to support my opinion if you only need to call it "nonsense" to counter it.

Only one more thing: Russia has a history of strong authoritarian regimes and they all end sooner or later. Putin already has to deal with serious economic problems... who knows, maybe the whole regime is not replaced but a new autocrat could replace him.

I called it nonsense to preface my explanation because when you think about what I said, the idea of some kind of political opposition uprising is just that, nonsense.

We don't live in Bastille Day times anymore. The people still have pitchforks, but Putin has an army of military & police, a criminal underground network,A deep spy complex and everyone around him is a puppet.

Now with technological progress, the use of internet and manipulation of information. It's going to be soooo much harder.

Like what do you think would happen if Donald Trump assassinated the democratic party leader because he didn't like her.

All hell would break loose.

If Vlad doesn't like a politician, they create false flags, they do an character assassination misinformation campaign, proceeded by a quick execution or expulsion.

It can never ever happen, not without massive amounts of blood. Our kind of society has a much better chance of collapse because of this.

Is the mainstream media in france pretty good or is it pretty much just like americas?

Toxi

Banned
Now French social media, comment sections, and forums will be flooded with Russian trolls. There will likely be 1 or 2 devastating documents that will be 'found' in the hack, and they will be pushed hard. The media and Macron's party will have no avenue to inform the public.

If the Russians work effectively (and they've shown that they can) this can turn what just a few hours ago was a sure thing, into a nail biter.
This is actually a good thing. The more the media talks about this, the more people will hear it. Even if most of those people don't buy into the bullshit, a few will.

Kifimbo

No way in hell can a 20% lead evaporate in 24 hours, unless it's a massive revelation (like an easy-to-understand crime).

Lautaro

I called it nonsense to preface my explanation because when you think about what I said, the idea of some kind of political opposition uprising is just that, nonsense.

We don't live in Bastille Day times anymore. The people still have pitchforks, but Putin has an army of military & police, a criminal underground network,A deep spy complex and everyone around him is a puppet.

You just keep giving me opinions and no facts to support them.

The bolded shows that there's plenty of organizations that support him but you are wrong when you claim they are mere puppets. If Putin fails they will band together to replace him, that's how it works between oligarchs, in fact that's how Putin got to where he is now.

You are probably going to ignore this article just like the last one I posted but here's another event: basically when two of Putin's strongmen clashed, Alexander Bortnikov (of the FSB) and Kadyrov (warlord of Chechnya), Putin was forced to support one side but instead he just vanished until the conflict deflated, that shows he's not an absolute monarch, he still needs to appease his base. Sure, Kadyrov may like to wear hoodies with Putin's face but he still ignores him when is time to appease radicals in Chechnya (just like it happened with minor brides and now gay concentration camps). For more information about this clash and Putin's temporal vanishment here's a link: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...s/news-story/3f82a6dc869b0e4a6df4bf3d3a943ead

Also here's an old video (before Trump's election) where I first heard of this decline of Putin's power in case it sounds interesting to you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT4sK36cU3Y

mo60

Foreign media will likely cover the leaks and possibly destroy the credibility of the leaks like they did with the leaks earlier this week.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
No way in hell can a 20% lead evaporate in 24 hours, unless it's a massive revelation (like an easy-to-understand crime).

There were fake documents inserted throughout the leaked data. Whatever it is will be viral worthy, capable of spreading like an unchecked fire.
They didn't wait to leak this till it was too late for it to have an effect, they waited till it was too late to fight it.

BTW, obviously just thinking out loud here.

Foreign media will likely cover the leaks and possibly destroy the credibility of the leaks like they did with the leaks earlier this week.

Of course, and hopefully it will be enough.

I don't get the point of this for the Ruskies.

Macron is young, seemingly popular. You *want* him elected so that he becomes utterly toxic after 4-6 years.

You just keep giving me opinions and no facts to support them.

The bolded shows that there's plenty of organizations that support him but you are wrong when you claim they are mere puppets. If Putin fails they will band together to replace him, that's how it works between oligarchs, in fact that's how Putin got to where he is now.

You are probably going to ignore this article just like the last one I posted but here's another event: basically when two of Putin's strongmen clashed, Alexander Bortnikov (of the FSB) and Kadyrov (warlord of Chechnya), Putin was forced to support one side but instead he just vanished until the conflict deflated, that shows he's not an absolute monarch, he still needs to appease his base. Sure, Kadyrov may like to wear hoodies with Putin's face but he still ignores him when is time to appease radicals in Chechnya (just like it happened with minor brides and now gay concentration camps). For more information about this clash and Putin's temporal vanishment here's a link: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...s/news-story/3f82a6dc869b0e4a6df4bf3d3a943ead

Also here's an old video (before Trump's election) where I first heard of this decline of Putin's power in case it sounds interesting to you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT4sK36cU3Y

I understand, The way Putin talked about the sanctions we put on him was that we were trying to destabilize his relationships with his oligarchs. but if someone was to replace a Putin it's going to be Diet Putin or Extreme Putin. It's not going to be a complete shift from left to right. Nothing like the kinda shift you'd get from going to Trump from Obama.

Nor do I believe the general modus operandi would change internationally, it's working afterall.

But trying to split hairs between a dictatorship and a tight knit oligarchy is virtually pointless, the top guys around the dictator are always a threat. That's why Kim Jon sometimes kills his top generals. And I'm sure Vlad probably has a contingency for it if things get too hostile between his guys too.

FStubbs

I'd normally agree, but who can win a war in Russia - and that's not even counting nukes?

ICO_SotC

Disgusting. The only redeeming factor is that maybe the French and American authorities can work together and gather some more intel on this kind of operation.

It was brought up at the Warner/Burr led Senate Intel hearing that they were already aware of, and looking into, Russian attempts to influence the French election like they did the US, so hopefully it's already happening.

Would it? It's the Donald fans that have the weapons.

Plus Donald called for Hillary's execution during his campaign.

I mean they wouldn't be able to investigate themselves. Sessions recused himself of Trump campaign hack investigation. So yeah there would be.

I mean if the evidence lead to Donald. The evidence probably leads to Vlad when he does his political killings, but they don't have a system he doesn't have his dick deep inside of.

Lautaro

I understand, The way Putin talked about the sanctions we put on him was that we were trying to destabilize his relationships with his oligarchs. but if someone was to replace a Putin it's going to be Diet Putin or Extreme Putin. It's not going to be a complete shift from left to right. Nothing like the kinda shift you'd get from going to Trump from Obama.

I agree, let's just hope is "Diet Putin" who replaces him then.

I agree, let's just hope is "Diet Putin" who replaces him then.

Well, if we follow the trends in terms of dictator replacements, we can look to North Korea for an example, and that guy ain't diet anything. There's generally only one way to go with right wingers and that's more extreme more hysterical more terrifying. Look at the trajectory of the GOP for example, going from diet to extreme.

You can never deescalate the rhetoric with these guys.

Top Bottom