• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MacWorld 07: The first 30 years were just the beginning... (iPhone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperPac

This may be wishful thinking on my part, but...

I want some new kind of Apple portable. Tablet, iChat device, PDA, something new/different.

Preferably, I'd like an iChat-type device that's like the Sony Mylo (but useful). It doesn't need to connect to a cellular service. Has a flip-down keyboard, connects to AIM or Google Talk, does e-mail through .Mac, Gmail and the like, always on or rings/vibrates when you have a message a la text messaging. Goes to sleep when it loses a wifi signal, wakes up when it gets one again...can be set to work with specific wireless networks so you can do it at home, work, Starbucks, airports, McDonald's, Panera, etc. but not ones you don't know. Maybe it has a camera (iSight?) in it so you can take pictures and directly upload them to a .Mac account (or upload the next time it gets a signal). Wouldn't have to do web browsing but maybe it could do some various Google functions or supports Dashboard widgets (YouTube viewer and blog entry functionality).

Hell if it was also an iPod (could even just be a 4-8 GB), I'd pay good money for that.

White Man

I wouldn't get your hopes up on a tablet. If they couldn't keep the lid on iPhone stuff, I think we'd know about a tablet if it were anywhere close to shipping.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The iPhone stuff could still be all crossed-wires stuff because of the 'other' iPhone that's just launched.

I just don't see that much that Apple could bring to the table with a phone that SonyEricsson/Nokia/Samsung aren't already doing. Apart from a nice design, and closer integration with the PC/Mac, I don't see what would make it stand out. It's going to be difficult to do Apple's tradition simple interface and ease of use of a music player while maintaining the functionality of a phone. Is whizzy looks really worth all the marketting and R&D costs?

If Apple did a phone I think it would be something wilder like ignoring existing carriers and coming up with a wifi phone or something, but it will be a long time before that's worthwhile.

Phoenix

TheWolf said:
do you have to do anything special to get Vista to run with Bootcamp, or is it just like the XP install?

Not really no. The latest release of Bootcamp should have resolved those issues. If you don't want to parition, you can absolutely use Parallels and it will work just peachy with Vista.

TheWolf

Banned
Phoenix said:
Not really no. The latest release of Bootcamp should have resolved those issues. If you don't want to parition, you can absolutely use Parallels and it will work just peachy with Vista.

hmm, the only thing Apple has about Vista on the Bootcamp page is a bashing comment...

Phoenix

maynerd said:
That's good... because I'd be running vista on a "mac" does that mean it will run worse than on a same spec PC?

If its the same spec, how can it possibly run worse?

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
So the iTV will be a closed box, right? I won't be able to buy one and replace my Xbox + XBMC, will I? (i.e. no Divx/xvid support like the 360)

Phoenix

Nobody who has an actual answer will answer that question (or shouldn't). You've got just a few days to wait and get an answer for that :)

fart

Savant
you really think they'll launch the itv so soon? i'm expecting them to wait until 802.11n is mature enough for them to launch their new wireless hardware with it

White Man

fart said:
you really think they'll launch the itv so soon? i'm expecting them to wait until 802.11n is mature enough for them to launch their new wireless hardware with it

They said early 2007, and they had to have known that the soonest 802.11n could be stamped official was this month.

I thought the most recent refreshes had upgraded their wireless cards to what the 802.11n spec is likely to be, anyway?

maynerd

Banned
Phoenix said:
If its the same spec, how can it possibly run worse?

Well I'm not completely up to snuff on the Mac arcitechture so I don't know if it differs much if at all from standard PC stuff. I imagine there are some differences because as far as I know you can't install a Mac OS on a regular PC. So I don't know what is different. Also I don't know if it is emulating anything.

What I mean by similar specs I mean Processor Speed and RAM and video card.

White Man

Real or fake?

2182521a9862b9fd8eeb9b1qy6.jpg

Edit: Eh, element points out that the name iPhone is already taken. Fake

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Airport cards in the MacBooks and iMacs currently support a pre-n standard. There just hasn't been the software updates or new Airport basestations to take advantage of it.

If I remember right, Apple has always been amongst the first to jump onto the new wifi standards with Airport updates, adopting one of the previous standards before it had been completely finalised too. They are obviously quite in-the-loop with what is going to be the likely outcome, and the fact we are seeing companies already manufacture these 'pre-n' cards suggests it's closer than we think.

fart

Savant
current macs are shipping with two different, and currently entirely incompatible, "draft n" wireless chipsets. from what i've read though, there is no real draft of n, hence the incompatibility thing. similarly, it's not currently known whether these current chipsets will be able to implement the final standard via firmware whenever it is that gets ratified. hence, a mess.

you're probably right in that apple won't have a problem launching an airport hyperexpress-n hardware package before the standards committee is done, but i think at the very least they will want a guarantee that the hardware they're shipping out will be compatible with the final iteration of the standard.

Nick

White Man said:
Edit: Eh, element points out that the name iPhone is already taken. Fake
Yeah, and mockups like that have been running around for about five years.

Edit: And let's keep it real... Zero 7?

Phoenix

maynerd said:
Well I'm not completely up to snuff on the Mac arcitechture so I don't know if it differs much if at all from standard PC stuff. I imagine there are some differences because as far as I know you can't install a Mac OS on a regular PC. So I don't know what is different. Also I don't know if it is emulating anything.

What I mean by similar specs I mean Processor Speed and RAM and video card.

If you buy an Intel-Mac (and you will), there is pretty much no difference in things architecturally. Its the same ATI/nVidia, Intel, Broadcomm, etc. hardware and you can actually run Windows on it raw (either using bootcamp or if you suffer a lapse of sanity blow away OSX and run Windows by itself) and it would perform exactly the same as a machine with the same hardware.

Mr Mike said:
So the iTV will be a closed box, right? I won't be able to buy one and replace my Xbox + XBMC, will I? (i.e. no Divx/xvid support like the 360)
The iTV is just an interface. You'll be playing the movies on your DivX/XVid-enabled computer and transferring the signal (over a wireless network) to your TV. That's why it's beautiful. It eliminates the need for a multimedia machine like the XBox+XBMC or the PS3 because you can just have the files on your computer and use iTV to fetch them wirelessly.

EGM92

Phoenix said:

Listen up old man, this is the year 2007, no one uses paper/pens anymore maybe you did when you walked to school uphill, both ways, in the snow but not in todays world!

and the Nokia, too small

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
SuperPac said:
So the keynote is gonna be two hours? Is that what it normally is?

http://www.macworldexpo.com/live/20/events/20SFO07A/keynotes

There'll be a lot of Leopard stuff, surely but two hours seems long if they're only talking Leopard and iTV.

Hmmm, that is long and 30 minutes more than previous years:

http://www.macworldexpo.com/live/20/events/20SFO06A/keynotes
http://www.macworldexpo.com/live/20/events/20SFO05A/keynotes

First concrete signs of something interesting maybe, well done Pac :)

Jobs, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Jobs... so grant me one request. Grant me a Tablet Mac! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Oh my god, I want a Tablet Mac!

OSeX digital sketchbook. OMG! MAKE IT SO! MAKE IT SO! MAKE IT SO!

I really have no interest in anything else.

Tablet Mac or DIE!

maynerd

Banned
Phoenix said:
If you buy an Intel-Mac (and you will), there is pretty much no difference in things architecturally. Its the same ATI/nVidia, Intel, Broadcomm, etc. hardware and you can actually run Windows on it raw (either using bootcamp or if you suffer a lapse of sanity blow away OSX and run Windows by itself) and it would perform exactly the same as a machine with the same hardware.

Ahh ok...cool thanks.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Dragona Akehi said:
Realllly can't wait to see Leopard's new features.

Yeah, aside from anything else I'm intrigued by what the 'top secret' features are. And what Aqua's replacement will look like if that's happening.

Aqua has served pretty damn well for something that I think is 5 years old now, minor tweaking aside.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
choc_cake said:
Windows Vista on Macs! Run!

Just kidding :p

Um, I am posting from Vista, on a MacBook Pro. It works just fine.

Edit: And I just edited in OSX, by switching OS on the fly through Parallels.

Burger

Personally I'd like a new mac to be announced.

Something equally as powerfull as an iMac, but without the screen. I have 2 LCD screens already. MacPro is too much, MacMini is too little. Give me another cube Jobs!

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Burger said:
Personally I'd like a new mac to be announced.

Something equally as powerfull as an iMac, but without the screen. I have 2 LCD screens already. MacPro is too much, MacMini is too little. Give me another cube Jobs!

I love my Cube, and it's still going strong after a 1.2Ghz upgrade.

A special edition of it as the 30th anniversary Mac would be nice :)

RSP

Stinkles said:
Um, I am posting from Vista, on a MacBook Pro. It works just fine.

Edit: And I just edited in OSX, by switching OS on the fly through Parallels.

and running Halo 3 at 60fps on an emulator I guess?

Mr Jared

I'll be watching the keynote this Tuesday and ordering my Macbook Pro during it. I've wanted one for a few months now but I didn't want to order it with iWork'06 installed, only to have them announce i'Work'07 this week ;o

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
If this pic is real then the first 30 years teaser is about MacWorld after all:

348%3B2%3A36%3B%7Ffp6%3C%3Dot%3E2336%3D48%3B%3D5%3A3%3DXROQDF%3E2323645554745ot1lsi

Hype+1!

(the pic looks a bit off to me for some reason though)

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
alkaline black said:
I'll be watching the keynote this Tuesday and ordering my Macbook Pro during it. I've wanted one for a few months now but I didn't want to order it with iWork'06 installed, only to have them announce i'Work'07 this week ;o

Not gonna wait for Leopard? =P

Nick

Nash said:
If this pic is real then the first 30 years teaser is about MacWorld after all:

348%3B2%3A36%3B%7Ffp6%3C%3Dot%3E2336%3D48%3B%3D5%3A3%3DXROQDF%3E2323645554745ot1lsi

Hype+1!

(the pic looks a bit off to me for some reason though)
That looks real... but fake. :-/

Crab Shaker

Doesn't pay his sources
So when exactly are we expecting the madness, i.e., when's the official press conference and all that jazz. I love being online and hitting refresh during mac events now :lol

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Crab Shaker said:
So when exactly are we expecting the madness, i.e., when's the official press conference and all that jazz. I love being online and hitting refresh during mac events now :lol

The keynote is on Tuesday:

9am (PST)
12pm (EST)
5pm (UK)

Looks like it lasts 2 hours (30 minutes more than usual).

Live updates on http://www.macrumorslive.com, and usually a few other places.

And here of course :)

The only thing I'm really looking forward to is whatever is left to unveil in Leopard.

Hardware wise, the only thing I would be excited about, really, is an ultra portable laptop. I want something lighter than a macbook.

Nash said:
Well the Mac tablet is coming at MacWorld!*

*sort of

http://axiotron.web7.serverlogistics.com/
OOOOOOH MY GOD!

What's the price? I will never need to use a Windows-based computer again if I buy one of these, and it's good enough until Apple makes a "real" one. If I can run Photoshop and SketchBookPro and Flash on that thing I will shit my pants. Any word on price or specs yet? Or do I have to wait until Tuesday to start masturbating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom