• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MacWorld 07: The first 30 years were just the beginning... (iPhone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

WordAssassin said:
OOOOOOH MY GOD!

What's the price? I will never need to use a Windows-based computer again if I buy one of these, and it's good enough until Apple makes a "real" one. If I can run Photoshop and SketchBookPro and Flash on that thing I will shit my pants. Any word on price or specs yet? Or do I have to wait until Tuesday to start masturbating?

You can start masturbating today... and then start again on Tuesday.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ooh, if this is right iDisk has been upgraded to 30GB's of storage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pIt0lzUrag

I think my guess about 'virtual' purchasing of music/video/films from the iTunes Store might be right.

iTV to stream whatever content you have on your iDisk to your TV? No Mac/PC required, unless you also want to stream locally as well.

White Man

Phoenix, you had better be ****ing with me. If there's a Mac tablet, I have to redo my finances for the first three months of this year.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
White Man said:
Phoenix, you had better be ****ing with me. If there's a Mac tablet, I have to redo my finances for the first three months of this year.

The tablet is a 3rd party mod of a MacBook, I posted the link to the company on the previous page.

Home_20070104_02.jpg

It's coming.

White Man

Nash said:
The tablet is a 3rd party mod of a MacBook, I posted the link to the company on the previous page.

Home_20070104_02.jpg

It's coming.

If that's the case, it's no big deal. I was expecting the Apple tablet PC using a NAND drive after Phoenix's comments.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
White Man said:
If that's the case, it's no big deal. I was expecting the Apple tablet PC using a NAND drive after Phoenix's comments.

Apple must be quite happy about this:

"Sure, market-test the concept of a Mac tablet for us. If it sells, we'll release the one we've got in R&D!"

:)

ckohler

I heard on a podcast that this tablet is a conversion kit or service that converts iBooks into tablets. So, I guess if you're really, really wanting a tablet then you can have one but it's not anything official.

Gantz

Banned
Anyone know if a new MBP revision will be announced? I'm itching to get a new laptop. Should I just wait till June?

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I'm hoping for iMac revisions so I can pick one up in May after I graduate and for iPod revisions so I can replace my 4G mini.

Allen

The keynote is NOT 30 minutes longer than usual. The keynotes have been 2 hours for a number of years now—Apple just shorted them on their schedules.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Allen said:
It wasn’t. The schedule is wrong. I had to record it for a project and it ended up being clocked at 1:58.

Edit: Sorry, I just checked—1:54. ‘04’s was 2:00 exactly.

http://www.macrumors.com/events/mwsf2006.html

Well I don't know then. From MacRumors live updates of the 2006 keynote it was 1 hour 36, just like the video on Apple's site.

And why do the schedule differently from 2005/2006?

http://www.macworldexpo.com/live/20/events/20SFO07A/keynotes - 2 hours
http://www.macworldexpo.com/live/20/events/20SFO06A/keynotes - 1 hour 30
http://www.macworldexpo.com/live/20/events/20SFO05A/keynotes - 1 hour 30

All signs do seem to be pointing to something a bit more than usual this time round ..

Aside from a nice long Leopard preview, it's hard to say what we're going to see tomorrow. I ordered some new computers last week, and they were already shipped, which seems to indicate to me that Apple isn't planning computer updates to the MacBooks, MacBook Pros, or iMac line, as in recent years if they are close to shipping a new product around the time of a conference, they'll often delay the shippments in order to ship the new product instead.

At this point, it seems Leopard preview and iTV ate about the only things we can assume we'll see for sure. Video iPod would be great, but it's been rumored for so long, that I'm not holding my breath at this point.

Can't wait to see what is revealed. Should be good.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
A 30th Anniversary Mac isn't out of the question, as they've done it before and it would tie in nicely with the teaser.

A black iMac with some custom features could go down very well.

[dream]Or the return of the Cube[/dream]

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I was just saying the other day how they did a black and white iPod and Nano, and MacBook, surely the iMac should have the same 'special edition' treatment?

The iMac is due for a revamp, it's form factor has lasted longer than the iLamp G4, it's just got thinner and bigger. Time for a change now they're all Intel machines now, and generally it's the iMac that leads the changes.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Jill Sandwich said:
I was just saying the other day how they did a black and white iPod and Nano, and MacBook, surely the iMac should have the same 'special edition' treatment?

The iMac is due for a revamp, it's form factor has lasted longer than the iLamp G4, it's just got thinner and bigger. Time for a change now they're all Intel machines now, and generally it's the iMac that leads the changes.

If this were the case, I'd like to get one, pending how much money I have left after paying off tuition, books, and spring break expenses.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Burger said:
Personally I'd like a new mac to be announced.

Something equally as powerfull as an iMac, but without the screen. I have 2 LCD screens already. MacPro is too much, MacMini is too little. Give me another cube Jobs!

I agree with this, but i would like it to be a bit more powerful than an iMac and have almost as much expandability as a MacPro. There is a large gap to fill between the two.

Jill Sandwich said:
The iMac is due for a revamp, it's form factor has lasted longer than the iLamp G4, it's just got thinner and bigger.
Actually, the current iMac form factor is a couple months away from matching the G4 iMac's tenure, but I agree, an aesthetic revamp would be nice.

1aa2b894359c4ab071194a85d8fd377d.png

fugimax

I think the current iMac is going to stay around a little longer than the previous..

Reasoning:

- I always got the feeling that the iMac G4 Lamp wasn't the success Apple was hoping for. It got a lot of press, but in the end was a custom form factor that drove up manufacturing costs for what was an entry-level computer.

- Current iMac is all over the place and is pretty much *the* identifying product of the Mac line -- tv commercials, product placement, etc. Changing that is risking the "face" of the Mac.

- Current iMac is much more elegant inside than previous iMacs. A lot of "standard" parts being used, driving down cost of manufacturing and repair. Also allows for user-replaceable parts.

- Current iMac is something almost everyone agrees looks great. The iMac G4 Lamp looked awkward to a lot of people. The current iMac finally has the level of sophistication and high-design as the rest of Apple's line.

If Apple were to change the iMac, I'd have to ask why. It's selling great, people agree it's a great product. The only direction I see Apple going is making it thinner and thinner, and reducing the size of the bezel in further iterations on the current design.

imo, a new iMac is another year off.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
I'm so ****ing hyped for this MacWorld. Nothing quite gets me going like new Apple product announcements and revelations.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The hype continues (various quotes that are being posted on MacRumors):

...a very trusted (and extremely anonymous) source of mine in Silicon Valley told me recently that he has it on good faith that Apple CEO Steve Jobs has invited all of his best friends to his MacWorld SF Keynote on Tuesday. In Silicon Valley buzz code, that means he's got something really special to show.

Meanwhile, International Herald Tribute's article about Apple's upcoming device claims that "[Jobs] was more excited about his current project than he was about the Macintosh."

The International Herald Tribune reports on upcoming computer-cellphone hybrids that offer more functionality than traditional cell phones.

Apple has developed the first of the next generation of devices that are closer to personal computers in pocket form, meaning that they will easily handle music, entertainment, productivity tasks and communications on cellular and other wireless networks.

Quite exciting going into MacWorld without a clear idea of what to expect at all! Hope we see a new UI for Leopard, and they detail exactly what iTV can do. Everything does seem to be pointing to 'something else' as well though. Most of the rumours saying a phone of some kind. Personally I'm still dubious about how Apple could make a splash in the mobile phone sector, even if it's more of a smartphone/PDA. Would be interested to see what they came up with though.

mrkgoo

Nash said:
The hype continues (various quotes that are being posted on MacRumors):

Quite exciting going into MacWorld without a clear idea of what to expect at all! Hope we see a new UI for Leopard, and they detail exactly what iTV can do. Everything does seem to be pointing to 'something else' as well though. Most of the rumours saying a phone of some kind. Personally I'm still dubious about how Apple could make a splash in the mobile phone sector, even if it's more of a smartphone/PDA. Would be interested to see what they came up with though.

Not even if it offers a scale down version of macosx for awesome integration? Or maybe mobile chat options? I don't know either, but I would like to see something pretty cool... Apple has a knack for suprising when it wants to.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
mrkgoo said:
Not even if it offers a scale down version of macosx for awesome integration? Or maybe mobile chat options? I don't know either, but I would like to see something pretty cool... Apple has a knack for suprising when it wants to.

Yeah, the last year has been a bit unexciting and predictable because of the necessary Intel transition. This MacWorld looks like it marks the start of revealing the other products that must have also been in R&D.

The phone/handheld device thing I'm just a bit dubious about, because it will be very tough to combine phone/music/video/OS X Lite aspects while maintaining the usual Apple clean design and ease-of-use which makes their products stand out. Unless this is all connected with the flurry of multitouch touchscreen/gesture patents they've been filing in recent years. It is sounding like we might see a genuinely new product though.

Roll on Tommorrow!

Nick

Man, if Apple can 1up the current iterations of pocket PC's, the Treos and the like, I am soooooo over that shit. Something that lets me manage all of my media files on the go, and to have it seamlessly work with my Mac is a wet dream. I hope something good comes of this MacWorld. Last year was utterly boring.

Random note: I'm meeting a really really cute boy there and I'm super excited! <3 <3 <3

Juice

Just checking in.

I expect most of the following:

- No Mac hardware upgrades beyond bumps
- Lots of Leopard
- Typical iLife/iWork tweaks (plus Charts)
- iTV name/date details
- iPhone unveiling with a quarter estimate for launch (which will probably so greatly cannabalize high end phone sales between here and now that all the carriers will be begging apple to carry it by the time it's out).
- no-touch video iPod (with wireless song transfer).

Two things I expect to see that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else:
- location-aware kernel hooks and GPS devices built into all new portable macs and phones (with tons of application possibilities)
- An Airport Existential branding for 802.11n (already in new MacBooks and iMacs), with a new base station announed. Will be reminiscent of when Apple broke into the wireless industry so early with their (was it pre-draft?) 802.11a/b airports in the 90s.

megateto

I guess that they don't have a live video feed, do they?

My g/f wants to update her G4 Ibook and I am having a really hard time to keep her wallet closed. Hopefully they announce some cpu's updates.

megateto said:

My g/f wants to update her G4 Ibook and I am having a really hard time to keep her wallet closed. Hopefully they announce some cpu's updates.

I guess if they update hardware, then only the Mac Pro to a 8 core processor. The Core 2 Duo in the mobiles is still competitiv,

megateto said:

What CPU updates are you waiting for? Sheesh. They're running Core 2 Duos in the full line-up now, and there is no way you're going to see Quad Cores in laptops anytime soon.

megateto

Kung Fu Jedi said:
What CPU updates are you waiting for? Sheesh. They're running Core 2 Duos in the full line-up now, and there is no way you're going to see Quad Cores in laptops anytime soon.

<-----------------Stupid me. I don't know why I was thinking they didn't update the processors since they went Intel.

Guess my g/f is going to get a new mac quite soon.

megateto said:
<-----------------Stupid me. I don't know why I was thinking they didn't update the processors since they went Intel.

Guess my g/f is going to get a new mac quite soon.

YEah! Let her spend her money. She'll be very very happy.

Phoenix

Juice said:
Just checking in.

I expect most of the following:

- No Mac hardware upgrades beyond bumps
- Lots of Leopard
- Typical iLife/iWork tweaks (plus Charts)
- iTV name/date details
- iPhone unveiling with a quarter estimate for launch (which will probably so greatly cannabalize high end phone sales between here and now that all the carriers will be begging apple to carry it by the time it's out).
- no-touch video iPod (with wireless song transfer).

Two things I expect to see that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else:
- location-aware kernel hooks and GPS devices built into all new portable macs and phones (with tons of application possibilities)
- An Airport Existential branding for 802.11n (already in new MacBooks and iMacs), with a new base station announed. Will be reminiscent of when Apple broke into the wireless industry so early with their (was it pre-draft?) 802.11a/b airports in the 90s.

I will agree with this assessment... with "one more thing".

ManaByte

Gold Member
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/07/yourmoney/mobile.php

SAN FRANCISCO: For functions from e-mail and instant messaging to mobile MySpace and ESPN, computer users are increasingly turning to the "fourth screen" &#8212; the one on their cellphones &#8212; which is evolving to adopt more characteristics of the three previous generations of screens: movie, television and computer.

That shift may well be underscored on Tuesday when Steven Jobs, the chief executive of Apple Computer, is expected to unveil an Apple phone representing his company's new mobile communications strategy &#8212; highlighted by a device that may include Jobs-inspired refinements like a sleek ceramic case and a transparent touch screen.

Industry executives and competitors say that Apple has developed the first of the next generation of devices that are closer to personal computers in pocket form, meaning that they will easily handle music, entertainment, productivity tasks and communications on cellular and other wireless networks.

But while Apple quickly dominated the music-player category after it introduced the iPod in 2001, its challenge with a phone would be far more difficult.

While Apple was early to portable digital music, it would be distinctly late in entering the world of Internet- connected digital hand-helds. Arrayed against it are giants including Nokia, Motorola, Sony Ericsson and Microsoft, in addition to entrenched hand-held companies like Palm and Research In Motion.

impirius

One of the nice things about finally getting a MBP is that it's much more fun to look forward to the big Apple announcements. :)

impirius said:
One of the nice things about finally getting a MBP is that it's much more fun to look forward to the big Apple announcements. :)

QFT! I am thrilled to have access to such high-tech innovations such as USB 2.0. :lol

White Man

Slurpy said:
Why is Phoenix supposed to know something we don't?

I consider him well-informed on all things Apple. Just like how people come to me when they want something hated on, I go to him when it comes to teasing me with Apple hints.

Phoenix

White Man said:
Will we be seeing Illuminous or whatever the update to Aqua is?

I would be absolutely and entirely surprised if you see or hear nothing about it tomorrow. I cannot imagine a scenario where it wouldn't show up when going over the UI for 10.5.

I'll put it that way.

Phoenix

White Man said:
I consider him well-informed on all things Apple. Just like how people come to me when they want something hated on, I go to him when it comes to teasing me with Apple hints.

I know a few things, but I'm largely tied up by NDA so there is much that I simply won't discuss or even hint at. I don't want to lose my privs or lost contact with my friends at Apple and in other places :)

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Phoenix said:
I would be absolutely and entirely surprised if you see or hear nothing about it tomorrow. I cannot imagine a scenario where it wouldn't show up when going over the UI for 10.5.

I'll put it that way.

:)

Juice

Phoenix said:

I'll put it that way.

I agree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom