• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden '25 PS4 Season 2 CCM Thread: Now with 75% less Madden talk!

Mrbob

When I saw the game in my inventory, I literally went to the store page to find out what kind of game it is. Not even sure if I want to add it to my account.

Just finished book 4 of A Song of Ice and Fire. Book started out a slow but really picked up near the end. Now it is time to begin book 5 ( title withheld to not showcase any spoilers I know how crazy TV only watchers can be ) and hope that George isn't hanging out at his lake of tears anymore and has book 6 truly coming early next year.

funny-George-Martin-book-readers-artificial-lake-tears.jpg

Easily could amend this image to include TV Watchers now. Especially after the Red Wedding.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Just finished book 4 of A Song of Ice and Fire. Book started out a slow but really picked up near the end. Now it is time to begin book 5 ( title withheld to not showcase any spoilers I know how crazy TV only watchers can be ) and hope that George isn't hanging out at his lake of tears anymore and has book 6 truly coming early next year.

Easily could amend this image to include TV Watchers now. Especially after the Red Wedding.

I'm stuck on a Storm of Swords. It's just so damn dense. I don't know if I can keep reading it.

brentech

When I saw the game in my inventory, I literally went to the store page to find out what kind of game it is. Not even sure if I want to add it to my account.

just go into the 5th book knowning that the first half the book is taking place over the same exact timeline that you read book 4. halfway through, the whole story progresses together again

As Bob said, the early part of book 4 is slow. I think it's largely due to like the first 5 chapters being from characters you've never even heard of or just new perspectives of people you know. Either way, its tedious. It grows into an interesting plot about midway through to the end though

Mrbob

I hear ya. I agree the beginning of a Storm of Swords is a bit slow. Keep plodding through. The back half of the story is pretty damn amazing. The last 500 pages are crazy and might be the best 500 pages I've read in a novel. A big reason why I'm excited for the last three episodes of season 4, as this is the back half of book three.

The book is definitely way too big. He literally wrote 2 books in one. I think it is a reason why the events in books 4 and 5 are concurrently happening. He split up the story into two books so it wasn't too much. This is the main reason why I want to get book 5 done over the summer. I have a feeling HBO is going to start pulling things from both books for the next couple seasons.

BigAT

I enjoyed Feast for Crows well enough, but my main problem with it was that the entire time I was reading it, I couldn't shake the feeling that none of it was especially important and Martin really should have been spending his time elsewhere in the story. It felt really inefficient and meandering in telling the overall plotline. I don't need to know the minutiae of the workings of the Iron Born political system.

Even being finished with all the books right now, I still can't see how he possibly expects to wrap it all up in just two more books.

McNei1y

Even being finished with all the books right now, I still can't see how he possibly expects to wrap it all up in just two more books.

I'm 200 pages away from finishing A Feast of Crows and this is all I hear about the ending of the 5th book. Storm of Swords was an AMAZING book IMO. The pacing of the last half of the book was all uphill. AFoC was really slow but it just started to pick up... I'm also excited to get to the 5th book so I can finally look at theories/talk about things with people.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
OK good to know that the story picks up later on in Storm of Swords. I don't have my kindle with me right now to check but I'd guess I'm less than 1/4 of the way through it right now.

Feast For Crows was so goddamn boring. It took me over a year to read it. I'm currently about a third of the way through A Dance With Dragons and it's much better. That being said, I stopped reading it for a month because (MASSIVE SPOILER)
I thought Tyrion died and I got super pissed off. Finally started reading again and he's alive like 2 chapters later. I'm sure Martin will kill him off again though. Whatever. Asshole.

McNei1y

OK good to know that the story picks up later on in Storm of Swords. I don't have my kindle with me right now to check but I'd guess I'm less than 1/4 of the way through it right now.

Yeah. Just beast through it. Action sequences start picking up half way through and it just keeps going up. AFoC is a tough read for me because of how packed with awesome SoS was.

BigAT

That being said, I stopped reading it for a month because (MASSIVE SPOILER)
I thought Tyrion died and I got super pissed off. Finally started reading again and he's alive like 2 chapters later. I'm sure Martin will kill him off again though. Whatever. Asshole.

There are so many times when Martin leaves a character's fate completely up in the air, frequently for no real reason, and you have no clue if they are alive or dead. Speaking generally now, that type of thing is by far my least favorite part of the books. At least in that case it got clarified in a couple of chapters, there are too many times when it doesn't get resolved until the next book. Hell, he does it to Arya alone like three or four times.

Mrbob

While we are talking about fantasy books I'm going to throw a plug for my favorite fantasy indie author David Dalglish:

http://www.amazon.com/David-Dalglis...n:618073011&bbn=283155&ie=UTF8&qid=1401299550

Well, former indie as he has been picked up by a big time publisher now. He trims the fat and keeps books flowing at a good pace. I was there first though before he became big time I hope he remembers that. He writes a bunch of books in the same world, but start with The Half Orcs books. That is the main series and the other ones are side stories with characters from this main franchise. He even offers the first book in the Half Orcs series for free:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036R4JU6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

McNei1y

Still trying to get my roommates to split a Wii U and MK8 with me. I hope it plays more like Mario Kart 64 (with controlling and drifting) compared to Double Dash's and The Wii version.

I'm going to Gamestop today to get Watch Dogs. Hopefully they have a MK8 booth set up.

Somnia

The music and voice acting in Transistor is top notch. The problem is I'm juggling Wolfenstein, Transistor and Watch Dogs right now and that all gets put to the side come Saturday 2AM.

just go into the 5th book knowning that the first half the book is taking place over the same exact timeline that you read book 4. halfway through, the whole story progresses together again

As Bob said, the early part of book 4 is slow. I think it's largely due to like the first 5 chapters being from characters you've never even heard of or just new perspectives of people you know. Either way, its tedious. It grows into an interesting plot about midway through to the end though

Its better to think of them as book 4A and book 4B because that's honestly what they are.

Book 6 is never coming though.

This is the sad truth.

I honestly wish I was rich and arrogant enough to not care about my fan base or finishing the thing that got me rich and famous in the first place.

GURM is sort of like a more evil Gabe Newell, except instead of giving us DotA2 and Steam he gives us Wild Cards.

Top Bottom