• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madonna's 13th studio album Rebel Heart drops March 10 2015 | hype thread + news

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Hot off her stunning Grammy performance, the Queen of Pop is about to release her 13th album on March 10 2015. There are multiple versions of the album to choose from with different covers depending on what country/region you are in, and 9 of the songs have already been released officially.

FYI- Living for Love is the lead single, and the music video is also available to view, be slain

Songs on the Standard Edition

20150212-pictures-madonna-rebel-heart-covers-hq-standard-s.jpg

01. Living For Love
02. Devil Pray
03. Ghosttown
04. Unapologetic Bitch
05. Illuminati
06. Bitch I’m Madonna (featuring Nicki Minaj)
07. Hold Tight
08. Joan of Arc
09. Iconic (featuring Chance The Rapper & Mike Tyson)
10. HeartBreakCity
11. Body Shop
12. Holy Water
13. Inside Out
14. Wash All Over Me

Included with the Deluxe Edition

20150212-pictures-madonna-rebel-heart-covers-hq-deluxe-s.jpg

15. Best Night
16. Veni vedi vici (featuring Nas)
17. S.E.X.
18. Messiah
19. Rebel Heart

Included with the Super Deluxe Edition

20150212-pictures-madonna-rebel-heart-covers-hq-super-deluxe-s.jpg

20. Beautiful Scars
21. Queen
22. Borrowed Time
23. Graffiti Heart
24. Autotune Baby
25. Addicted

My mini-review of the 9 officially released songs so far (out of 5):

Living For Love (the incredible video will make you appreciate this gem of a song I think like it did with me)
burningplz.gif
burningplz.gif
burningplz.gif
burningplz.gif
burningplz.gif

Devil Pray (really good BUT the ridiculous "we can sniff glue" lyrics ruin the song imo)
burningplz.gif
burningplz.gif

Ghosttown (nice but a bit bland for her standards)
burningplz.gif
burningplz.gif

Unapologetic Bitch (cool reggae vibes on this one)
burningplz.gif
burningplz.gif
burningplz.gif

Illuminati (this one will be very divisive but I love it, it's odd and fun to sing along to)
burningplz.gif
burningplz.gif
burningplz.gif
burningplz.gif

Bitch I’m Madonna (feat. Nicki Minaj, Nicki and the breakdown elevate this into a bop)
burningplz.gif
burningplz.gif
burningplz.gif
burningplz.gif

Iconic (ugh)
trash.gif

Hold Tight (cute but not a standout)
burningplz.gif

Joan of Arc (tied with Living for Love as the best so far, a new M classic)
burningplz.gif
burningplz.gif
burningplz.gif
burningplz.gif
burningplz.gif

Buzz has been pretty positive, much more so than her last 2 albums Hard Candy and MDNA. It's clear Madge is coming for wigs this round.
Great way to kick off 2015!

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I've listened to the whole album and my favorite song is the title track "Rebel Heart". It's really amazing!

Also, Joan of Arc and Borrowed Time, destined to be cult classics, if nothing else. They're just great songs, I hope Living for Love does well so we can get more videos.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Mau ®;151827896 said:
I miss the Madonna from Ray of Light until Confessions :(

I've made peace with the fact she'll never top RoL and Confessions her magnum opuses (opusi? whatever the plural is)

I will admit Living For Love gets better after a few listens.

It was the same for me, I was kind of "eh" about it @ first but it's really grown on me. The video helped too, I use LFL on my daily drives now! :)

f4c.gif

We stanning for Madonna in 2015?

2fcc5fd1_talkhand-talk-to-the-hand-talk-hand-smiley-emoticon-000673-large.gif

Tired joke. Have a seat and let me educate you:

of her first 6 singles from the end of 2014

Madonna is hitting all the right notes this holiday season and her new music has gone to #1 in over 40 countries on iTunes charts around the world, including the U.S., with the release of six songs from her forthcoming album Rebel Heart. In seven of those countries she had multiple No. 1's. The single "Living for Love" is currently No. 1 in over 20 countries and in another staggering achievement for the Material Girl, all six songs have been in the top ten on iTunes in several countries. The six songs – "Living For Love," "Devil Pray," "Ghosttown," "Unapologetic Bitch," "Illuminati" and "Bitch I'm Madonna (featuring Nicki Minaj)" – are available immediately when you pre-order Rebel Heart

of the 3 newest singles

Were you living for love after Madonna‘s performance at the 2015 Grammy Awards last night? Well then, you’re one lucky star, because the iconic songstress just dropped 3 brand new songs from her upcoming LP, Rebel Heart, on iTunes later in the evening.

Even though the album already leaked (twice), Madge is rolling on with her current plan of action by releasing a set of new songs to tide fans over until the March release of her long awaited 13th studio album. Last night, “Hold Tight,” “Joan Of Arc” and the much buzzed-about “Iconic” with Chance The Rapper and Mike Tyson (!) hit iTunes. And as of right now, all 3 are in the Top 3 spot on iTunes Top Songs. Guess she’s not the only one living for love at the moment!

Seems plenty are still there for her in 2015

KandiSideEye-sips-tea-gif.gif

Azelover

f4c.gif

We stanning for Madonna in 2015?

Debbie downer.

Yes, people still pay to see her, and to a degree still buy her records. She's no Taylor Swift, but it's not a case of Cyndi Lauper or Michael Jackson just yet.

Phreaker

I'm here for ha! All ready pre-ordered. I've been buying her albums since she stared putting them out, why stop now? HYPE

I haven't listened to the leak, only what I've gotten from the pre-order so far. I LOVE Living For Love!

Weird that it's titled Rebel Heart, but that song isn't even on the "standard edition".

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm stanning Lisa Stansfield, Stan Ridgeway, Santana and Paul Stanley.

But I won't stan Madonna.

Also I don't know what stanning means. Or ftfy

enigmatic_alex44

Weird that it's titled Rebel Heart, but that song isn't even on the "standard edition".

Agreed, I find that odd too. It's like how Candy Shop should have been a single off of Hard Candy but worse cuz Rebel Heart is the title of the album! And it's likely one of the best songs on the album. Plus the standard edition gets the best album cover in some regions! Nothing less than the Super Deluxe edition for me though :D

Edit: Let me save that for later :)

oop

Now I'm curious what the original post was! ;)

tumblr_mcf6cwYksN1rfduvxo1_250.gif

DOWN

Banned
I always wonder which version the singer would put in a time capsule. Standard or deluxe? Do they like the longer set more or less than the slimmest version of the album?

gdt

I hate this trend of incomplete album? Deluxe and super deluxe edition really?

25 songs? Really.

And seriously what the hell is up with exclusive Japanese bonus tracks.

enigmatic_alex44

I always wonder which version the singer would put in a time capsule. Standard or deluxe? Do they like the longer set more or less than the slimmest version of the album?

Hmmm....... I know I always consider the fullest edition the "real" album, and anything associated with the era like how I associate Brooklyn Nights with ARTPOP even if Gaga didn't actually release it on the album. Think of it as Lord of the Rings Extended Editions. Does anybody/fans actually prefer the theatrical lmao? Not me.

As for the artist..... I guess it's different depending on who it is. I'm sure some of it is out of their control and in the label's hands too.

DOWN

Banned
Hmmm....... I know I always consider the fullest edition the "real" album, and anything associated with the era like how I associate Brooklyn Nights with ARTPOP even if Gaga didn't actually release it on the album. Think of it as Lord of the Rings Extended Editions. Does anybody/fans actually prefer the theatrical lmao? Not me.

As for the artist..... I guess it's different depending on who it is. I'm sure some of it is out of their control and in the label's hands too.

Yeah, that's where I struggle. Sometimes I would bet that the standard tracklist forced them to cut a few they wanted to release, and thus they would consider Deluxe to be the true release (Lana Del Rey, for example, performs the songs from the Deluxe version often, which seems to indicate she considers their release significant).

But other times, I bet the label requirement of a deluxe edition means they put some tracks they were willing to cut, on the album. Songs that would be B-sides, were just produced to have more selection before they finalized the album, etc. Personally, I always buy deluxe, but I wish I knew what the artist considered definitive.

enigmatic_alex44

Which tracks did Diplo produce?

Diplo produced:

Living for Love
Unapologetic Bitch
Bitch I'm Madonna

I was told he also produced Autotune Baby, where a..... crying autotuned baby is sampled throughout the song

I miss Fey :(

most iconic madge stan on the site not named Phonomezer :(

!!!

This shade

Well they are long gone so I'm #1

LEkv1sR.gif

enigmatic_alex44

Yeah, that's where I struggle. Sometimes I would bet that the standard tracklist forced them to cut a few they wanted to release, and thus they would consider Deluxe to be the true release (Lana Del Rey, for example, performs the songs from the Deluxe version often, which seems to indicate she considers their release significant).

But other times, I bet the label requirement of a deluxe edition means they put some tracks they were willing to cut, on the album. Songs that would be B-sides, were just produced to have more selection before they finalized the album, etc. Personally, I always buy deluxe, but I wish I knew what the artist considered definitive.

Right? Then it gets even more confusing when there's an "update" to an album like Lana's Paradise edition and Gaga's Fame Monster. Sometimes it counts as a new album even when it's less songs than standard length, sometimes it's almost like a "director's cut" that was just released later but you have to buy it again (like a GOTY edition of a game I suppose).

I hate this trend of incomplete album? Deluxe and super deluxe edition really?

25 songs? Really.

And seriously what the hell is up with exclusive Japanese bonus tracks

Bonus tracks are or were used as an incentive for people in Japan to buy the domestic version of the album instead of importing which a lot of the time would allow them to get it sooner and cheaper. It's something dictated agreements between the record company and Japanese distributors that the artist usually doesn't have much say in. We in North America sometimes get bonus tracks too for similar reasons. Not that different from record companies making deals here with retailers for albums with exclusive bonus tracks like what Best Buy and Target was doing for years.

In 2015 with digital distribution though it's kind of bullshit but probably still dictated by the record company. I think a lot of the "deluxe and super deluxe" tracks are what would have just been B-Sides for singles years ago.

Azelover

I love you NeoGAF, but being chauvinistic they way you are, it will never will never stand for an envelope pusher like Madonna. All they want is safe women, young, big boobs, and to a degree, weak.

When Madonna dies all this shit that has been thrown to her astral self, will make her star rise like a MF. After Michael Jackson, she's the only star of this magnitude that will truly shine in the utter shit that has been thrown at her.
In 100 years I doubt most people will remember a Mariah Carey song, she will just have been one more singer with great talent that sung flavor of the moment songs. But Madonna? Just you wait a few more years.

enigmatic_alex44

Impressive, Madonna's isolated vocals from her well reviewed Grammy performance, found from this article:

Isolated vocals are one of the Internet's great obsessions, and they often don't end well (sorry, Mariah/Taylor/Britney). That makes us all the more pleased when a pop star delivers a demanding performance and still sounds remarkable, as is the case for the vocals purportedly extracted from Madonna's recent Grammy appearance. The singer's rendition of "Living for Love" found her being handed off among a mosaic of men dressed as bulls, destroying some '80s-throwback choreography and still hitting every word during the six-minute performance (atop a recorded vocal track, of course). Anyone who says Madonna isn't still the master at 56 years old has not been paying attention.

Isolated vocals of the lead single Living for Love Grammy performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tbazVKcxJ2E

You go girl ;)

I love you NeoGAF, but being chauvinistic they way you are, it will never will never stand for an envelope pusher like Madonna. All they want is safe women, young, big boobs, and to a degree, weak.

When Madonna dies all this shit that has been thrown to her astral self, will make her star rise like a MF. After Michael Jackson, she's the only star of this magnitude that will truly shine in the utter shit that has been thrown at her.
In 100 years I doubt most people will remember a Mariah Carey song, she will just have been one more singer with great talent that sung flavor of the moment songs. But Madonna? Just you wait a few more years.

*sigh* I know. People still have a problem with strong women, and in 2015 that's just really sad. At this point though, Madonna has easily surpassed MJ. I agree that 100 years from now, only a handful of "stars" who really made an impact on pop culture will be remembered and talked about, and Madonna is one of them.

enigmatic_alex44

FYI- Madonna's gonna be @ the BRIT awards tomorrow. She's supposed to be performing, possibly a medley of some of her hits.
There's rumors she may even be getting a lifetime achievement award

CAeamsf.gif

enigmatic_alex44

Was this delayed or something?

No, the entire album leaked sadly (all 25 songs from the Super Deluxe) but for some reason the label refused to movie the release date up to compensate for the damage. :/ They're sticking to the March 10 2015 date.

Madge is gonna have to go overtime to promote this album

tmarques

Apparently Queen and Autotune Baby have been dropped in favour of two LFL remixes. Shame, as the former in particular is pretty great. In fact, I'm surprised at how few of the tracks are complete crap, considering the long tracklist.

With her last couple of albums, it almost seemed like she only showed up to record whatever crap her producers put together over the weekend,
but you can tell she was involved this time around.

I just wish some thought had been put into the tracklist, because as it is the order feels completely random.

And funny how Madonna can still sell more albums than most artists half her age and still be called a flop.

Edit: no, there's no hype. But watch her outsell Mariah, J-lo, Britney and Christina.

tmarques

In 100 years I doubt most people will remember a Mariah Carey song, she will just have been one more singer with great talent that sung flavor of the moment songs.

I think that's already true to some extent. Ask the average person to name songs from both artists from memory and 9 times out of 10 Madonna's list will be much longer.

enigmatic_alex44

I think that's already true to some extent. Ask the average person to name songs from both artists from memory and 9 times out of 10 Madonna's list will be much longer.

Agreed. Madonna, and Michael Jackson (regardless of my personal opinion of him) will be the only musicians alongside the Beatles that are remembered in 100 years.

Apparently Queen and Autotune Baby have been dropped in favour of two LFL remixes. Shame, as the former in particular is pretty great. In fact, I'm surprised at how few of the tracks are complete crap, considering the long tracklist.

Oh really? Don't care one way or the other about Queen, but Autotune Baby is TRASH. It's literally the worst song Madonna has ever made, worse than even Birthday Song from MDNA. The album is stronger without it if it really has been dropped. Rebel Heart is her strongest album since Confessions, and I liked Hard Candy and MDNA

Azalean

Banned
This shit gonna flop like MDNA did. Madonna, just hang it up honey. You had a good career but it's time to hang up the mike and call it quits.

enigmatic_alex44

This shit gonna flop like MDNA did. Madonna, just hang it up honey. You had a good career but it's time to hang up the mike and call it quits.

tumblr_mnix9uFPbd1qm0y0ho1_500.gif

MDNA a flop? Guess again

The album debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 with 359,000 copies sold in the United States, making it her biggest opening week sales since Music (2000). It became Madonna's eighth chart-topper and her fifth consecutive studio album to debut at number one.

How did Iggy's The New Basic do? Well............

The album debuted at number three on the Billboard 200 chart, with first-week sales of 52,000 copies in the United States.

wrgWfkc.gif
wrgWfkc.gif
wrgWfkc.gif

Like her "flop" album MDNA which was paired with another record breaking world tour that raked in hundreds of millions, expect the same to happen when Madge tours to promote Rebel Heart.

Igor on the other hand is already flopping hard with Trouble. The public is already over her and have caught onto the fact that she puts on a fake-bordering-on-racist-caricature accent and is now aware of her lack of talent in that she has more talented pop girls provide her hooks on her few previous hits. JHud couldn't save Trouble though.

200_s.gif

I. G. G. Y.?

More like F. L. O. P.

Collect your wig @ the door

ijtM46VJuTQcq.gif

Ahasverus

The impressions from people who heard the leak have been overwhelmeingly negative. Madonna needs to stop her cheerleading act, learn to sing again like in her Ray of Light days and focus more in the music and less in.. I don't even know what she wants now.

Sydle

Can't believe you gave Ghosttown only two flames, Alex. It's my favorite song on the album and it's the only one that's made it to my Madonna playlist so far.

Maybe it was all too much, too much for a man to take...

dakini

Body Shop is my favorite song on the album. If she had stayed away from Diplo, this would've been one of my favorite Madonna albums.

Lucael

Rebel Heart in the final release is a lot worst than the demo version. Was a 100% summer dance hit and now it's generic acoustic song "X" from Madonna. I'm so disappointed about that.

The last bunch of songs sounds less cohesive when compared with the previous tracks, I like Veni, vidi, vici by the way.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The album is awful. She should retire or do a residency at Las Vegas doing her hits.

LifeLike

I love the Madonna from the 80s.
IMO the last good album she did was "Confessions on a Dance Floor" and it was 10 years ago... :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom