• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 is the Fastest Selling Title in 2K History, 4.5M shipped in one week

Shocked on the one hand, and yet not on the other. Reviews and impressions have been mediocre at best, but then again I had it preordered until I heard no review copies were going out, so I could have been one of those sales if I'd not been paying attention.

To be fair, it wasn't just the review copies but also lack of media in general. My E3 hype eroded.

hemo memo

Gold Member
4.5 million in the first week? Wow that's imppresive. Reviews and most if the impressions I read I thought it would flop so bad commercially.

Edit: sold-in/shipped not sold.

Breaking records while Black.

Congrats to 2K for shipping gazillion copies. I hope more sequels with similar and different time settings are created, and I hope they learn from their mistakes.

I haven't picked the game up yet, but I will during Christmas.

Zones

I am quite surprised that almost everyone here thought that it actually sold 4.5 million to consumers.

Unless a sales figure explicitly mention sell-through, then it's more than likely shipped / sold-in numbers.

jschreier

I am quite surprised that almost everyone here thought that it actually sold 4.5 million to consumers.

Unless a sales figure explicitly mention sell-through, then it's more than likely shipped / sold-in numbers.
The Washington Post article originally said "sold" then stealth-edited to change it to "sold-in."

jonno394

OP, included the stuff in the () please and actually point out it has been edited, some people wont even be aware of that, thanks.

I hope it does well for the studio's sake. The game has some glaring problems but it also does a lot of things really well. You can see a ton of work that went into crafting the city and the atmosphere, the music, the writing and pretty much everything other than the actual mission structure is exemplary.

jonno394

I think it reflects more poorly on WP's editors tbh.

No doubt, they should add an edit at the very top :/

edit they actually include it at the bottom:

Clarification: An earlier version of this story failed to specify that the 4.5 million copies of "Mafia III" sold in its first week were sold and shipped digitally and to retailers. The story has been updated.

From a gameplay standpoint, it's an incredibly half-assed, unfinished game. The one bright side to this selling so well is that hopefully other publishers will be more willing to let people of color be the protagonists in their games.

Woah! Pretty surprising numbers, I thought I had heard it bombed? Didn't some anonymous 2K employee say it was a major bomba?

i played the game at my friend's house and it's horrible, even he was extremely disappointment by it and he loved mafia 2, i chalk this one to hype being a motherfucker, i wonder how many of those copies were returned

edit: shipped not sold

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well at least they managed to get a ton of copies into the channel. Those should sell through eventually.

Take-Two needed the break after really struggling to revive and launch new brands this generation.

Latimer

Banned
i played the game at my friend's house and it's horrible, even he was extremely disappointment by it and he loved mafia 2, i chalk this one to hype being a motherfucker, i wonder how many of those copies were returned

edit: shipped not sold

It's far from horrible, the story is great as is the setting but the real problem is the gameplay which is insanely repetitive. I thought Mafia 2 had problems but man.

Dame

I guess no review copy did the trick.

Expecting more publishers to follow.

There is the double-edges sword.

On the one hand, i'm glad that a major studio finally trusted a game with a person of colour, black male lead to do well, without him being a CJ clone. We desperately need more of these.
On the other though, their no review copies and monotonous gameplay from what i heard, may set bad precedents for the games industry, which already pulls of enough shady nonsense as it is.
Skyrim's remaster is doing something to this extent, where early access is being granted soley to streamers and the like. I trust a lot of reviews, personally, so i guess i just have to wait longer is all.

Top Bottom