• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 is the Fastest Selling Title in 2K History, 4.5M shipped in one week

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
No, Rockstar publishes their own games

Take-Two distributes

2K is another arm of Take-Two

Take-Two, 2K, and Rockstar are the same entity for all intents and purposes.

The only difference is that games published under the Rockstar label pay gigantic royalties to the Housers, so almost nothing goes through there.

But yes, this statement applies to games under the 2K label specifically.

Trace

Banned
i played the game at my friend's house and it's horrible, even he was extremely disappointment by it and he loved mafia 2, i chalk this one to hype being a motherfucker, i wonder how many of those copies were returned

edit: shipped not sold

The first few hours are absolutely fantastic, the problem is the story just kinda stops moving once you hit the "go get the city" part. It also had a lot of technical issues.

FelipeMGM

Take-Two, 2K, and Rockstar are the same entity for all intents and purposes.

The only difference is that games published under the Rockstar label pay gigantic royalties to the Housers, so almost nothing goes through there.

But yes, this statement applies to games under the 2K label specifically.

Yep

This sounds insane. Like never mind the critical reception of the game, where did that level of hype even come from? I really didn't get a "4.5 million in first month" vibe from this game. What the hell

Well at least the team will hopefully be able to expand and improve thier vision moving forward. There's a lot of potential.

This sounds insane. Like never mind the critical reception of the game, where did that level of hype even come from? I really didn't get a "4.5 million in first month" vibe from this game. What the hell

Well at least the team will hopefully be able to expand and improve thier vision moving forward. There's a lot of potential.

it's sold-in. Shipped numbers.

Can we get a mod to change that title?

I haven't played the series or followed this entry, but thought the protagonist's story might make it worth a try at some point even with average-ish scores.

Didn't expect sales to be this good but I'll stay on the look out for a good sale to pick it up over the holiday season.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I have no idea why retailers would bet so big on this...those are gonna plummet in price.

It's far from horrible, the story is great as is the setting but the real problem is the gameplay which is insanely repetitive. I thought Mafia 2 had problems but man.

yeah, i didn't have time to experience the story, the gameplay is horrible and that was all i really needed to know, i understand that a great story can elevate a game but story can only do so much for me, at the end of the day i gotta play it and i just didn't want to play mafia 3 at all - before or after it released

AHK_Hero

Can someone clarify this sold through vs shipped question for a layman?

Does the publisher receive money from the retailer for supplying stock?

Seems retailers expected significant demand they were willing to stock 4.5 million copies. Obviously selling through to the customer is better for the future of the franchise and partnerships with retailers, but if the above is true haven't they still made quite a bit of money regardless?

N.Grim

Gameplay is way better than the other two Mafia games though, (repetition aside I mean things like movement, shooting, melee, driving, etc.).
I find offensive that you put Mafia III and the first Mafia in the same sentence, let alone that you have compared them

Half joking

Zones

The Washington Post article originally said "sold" then stealth-edited to change it to "sold-in."
I am aware of that, but the entire article was speaking from Take Two's perspective, so it was pretty clear what it meant by 'sold' even though the correct term was not used originally.

I am amazed that almost every single time, nearly everyone here becomes surprised over sales figures like this one. As I mentioned in my previous comment, everyone became shocked with the 12 million ($750 million) Fallout 4 figure as well.

The general rule of thumb is that unless a company explicitly mentions sell-through (i.e. Sony for Bloodborne / PS4 figures), then it's simply just shipped.

it's sold-in. Shipped numbers.

Can we get a mod to change that title?

Yeah but still, 2K must have had big expectations/strong pre-order numbers for this kind of push in the first week, right? Like even if they only sold through 75% of that, I still didn't get that vibe from Mafia 3 pre-release. Idk

MUnited83

For you.
Nice to see. It has its flaws but it's alright. I'd like to see what they can do with a bigger budget and less pressure.

K.Sabot

Yeah but still, 2K must have had big expectations/strong pre-order numbers for this kind of push in the first week, right? Like even if they only sold through 75% of that, I still didn't get that vibe from Mafia 3 pre-release. Idk

they can point to GTA numbers most likely, I doubt it was pre-order numbers and more just open world hype itself.

Zukkoyaki

Very surprising! Congrats 2K Games and Hangar 13! I didn't love the game but it has a lot of heart and character in it. Looking forward to whatever they release next!

Namikaze

Wow, I'm genuinely surprised and happy to see this. None of my gaming friends were taking about this and while I absolutely loved playing Mafia 2, even I decided to wait until Black Friday/a steam sale, whichever comes first.

Ray Down

Banned
NPD on the 9th, guess then we will get a real metric on how t actually sold.

Maybe retailer insiders can talk in here about their sales though.

Deserved and hopefully more people play 2 because of it.

Shame it wasn't polished, needed some more time because there was some very unfinished aspects.

Well at least they managed to get a ton of copies into the channel. Those should sell through eventually.

Take-Two needed the break after really struggling to revive and launch new brands this generation.

Isn't this the company that lost money with similar numbers for LA Noire? I put nothing past Take 2's accounting department.

Z3M0G

So what governs how many copies of a game the publisher sells to retailers?

Do retailers request the # of units?

Do publishers just push out a # of copies?

Retailers won't just pay for whatever number of units the publisher throws at them... so why would they buy so many???

Apathy

can we take these sales to the marketing and execs who say a minority lead would hurt sales and staple it to their faces?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah boy maybe now we can see more minority protagonists in SEA games now that the minority protagonists are a hindrance to sales myth is being debunked.

Top Bottom