• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

Just downloaded 1.05 on PS4

- Added Races and car customization
- Added a new set of outfits for the playable character
- Added My2K Sign Up and Sign Up incentives (new outfit and new weapon)
- General bug fixes and playability improvements

Mr. Tibbs

Lincoln looks like such a boss!
Car-Preview-Customization.jpg

car_racing1.jpg

racedlc_marauder.jpg

m3_my2k_outfit.jpg

Now, it’s time to tear up the streets of New Bordeaux with Races, Car Customization and more.

Here’s what’s rolling into town for the latest Mafia III content patch.

CAR CUSTOMIZATION!

This was one of the big requests from the fans. Today, we’re delivering with some seriously cool customizations for Lincoln’s fleet of up to 10 cars. You heard that right, 10: The six you earn through playing the game, the three cars those who own the Family Kick-Back* have access to…and an unlockable 10th car which we’ll get to in a minute.

First step to your very own custom, cherry-ed out rides: Get over to one of the nine Big Rick’s Garage locations around New Bordeaux. From there, start selecting what kind of Decals, Exhausts, Spoilers, Superchargers and Wheels you want on your car. With this content patch, you’ll have over 50 unique customizations for your fleet.

What you’re able to install, though, is all up to what you unlock. How do you unlock these new options, you ask?

CAR RACES!

We’ve said many times that the inspiration for the driving in Mafia III were the classic car chase films of the late 1960s and early 1970s. You’ve experienced it while playing the game – now it’s time to stomp down the pedal and race! Whether you’re taking tight turns in a sports car or blazing through oncoming traffic in an exotic model, there are 12 races for you to win throughout New Bordeaux – six circuit lap races and six point-to-point races.

The races become available after the first sit-down with all three lieutenants. Whenever you’re cruising around the open world (and not getting chased by the cops), look for the race markers on the map and drive on over in your favorite sports or exotic car.

Place in the top spots to win, unlock customizations…and get the pink slip to a 10th car you can add to your permanent fleet!

This is the Griffin Marauder! Only way you can get it is by ruling the race courses.

…MORE OUTFITS!
Cars aren’t the only ones getting a new look with this update, we’ve also rolled in three more outfits for Lincoln to rock as he makes his way through New Bordeaux.

Two of the new looks available are “Bad, Bad Mr. Burke” (complete with ‘stache and flat cap) and “On the Prowl.”

…CHANNEL YOUR INNER MAFIOSO!

If you link Mafia III with your My2K account, you can also score Lincoln a sweet three-piece suit Outfit (The “Classico”) and a custom revolver (“Il Duca”)!

My2k Sign Up is now available in-game and online – so link it up, now! Already linked? You should be able to find the Classico in your wardrobe and the arms dealer will be stocked with Il Duca right away.

…MORE ON THE WAY!

We were laser-focused to deliver this racing update so that you could roll into the New Year in style, but we do have more coming early next year. Namely, more customization and the ability to further enhance the performance of the cars in your fleet.

And, as with other updates, we continue rolling in patches and fixes as we go.

In short, we continue working to make your stay in New Bordeaux awesome.

Thanks for joining our family.

This game is a perfect example of how a stellar narrative can power you through what is at times completely wrote gameplay and mission design.

Yes, I'm doing a lot of the same thing again and again. I don't care. I want to see Clay get his revenge, and I want to butcher all these racist ****s like farm animals.

Akai__

They actually added races and car customization. That's honestly what I expected out of a 4GB patch.

Hopefully it's out soon on Xbox One.

dreamfall

This is so awesome - what a great gift for the holiday season. Can't wait to just enjoy some of the sublime driving mechanics in the races. Proud of this team to make good on their post launch support promises!

black070

LTTP, but boy was this game made for me, I just can't get enough of it - I know the mission design and gameplay loop are repetitive, but I honestly have a blast with this sort of thing.

Side note - it looks great on the Pro.

So I tried the races today. They are serviceable. The IA is okay (not very agressive though), and we finally can do something with this great handling.
There's nothing really excitinf though, and it takes more time going from one race to another than doing the race.

Oh christ, i think i'm finally nearing the end of this game. Seriously, the music is great, Lincoln is baller, the world is interesting, the combat is solid as hell (if shamelessly generic) but everything is brought down by some of the most endearing and boring game design i've played in a long, looong time. And a plot that basically just stands in the same place after the initial 2 hours (which are still the best by the 20 hours i've played) that sets up what proceeds to be 15 hours of kind of nothing.

I'm still happy i bought the game because there's still alot i like about it, but jesus christ they really did a disservice to this game by moving it in a more "open world" direction.
I really hope the expansions have a bigger linear narrative focus, i really really do.

One last thing, the car handling is pretty damn nice, interested in trying out the racing.

Ted

Patch sounds pretty good, more excuses to drive around New Bordeaux are definitely welcome! I finished the game not that long ago but wanted to do a second play through in the New Year so this new content will only make that more of a pleasure.

xrnzaaas

They sure take their time. I wonder how many people will still play Mafia 3 when the story expansions are released next year.

Business

Much better! It actually looks fantastic at 1080p on my 4K TV - smooth 60 FPS with everything else maxed out. I recently bumped my resolution up to 1440p (on my GTX 1070), but I found the difference in IQ is barely noticeable. Either way - still smooth 60 FPS.

I do highly recommend this graphics mod though:
http://www.pcinvasion.com/improve-mafia-3s-visuals-mod

I can't emphasize how much of an improvement this mod gives the visuals. It looks really, really nice. I've been playing with my wife - just trading off each objective. It's her first real modern open word / 3rd person game - so the repetitive gameplay isn't bothering us at all - it gives her more chances to practice and get a feel for the controls. The story and music (and I think the city is great) is enough to keep it from getting stale. Oddly enough, she went from only wanting to play 2D sidescroller / puzzle games & kart racers to googling stealth games after playing this game for a few weeks.

Anyway - if any of you were holding out on this game due to the 30 FPS lock, glitches & ugly visuals - the time is now to check this game out. I'm enjoying it far more than I expected.

Good to hear. Which CPU are you using?

danowat

Banned
Seriously, the music is great, Lincoln is baller, the world is interesting, the combat is solid as hell (if shamelessly generic) but everything is brought down by some of the most endearing and boring game design i've played in a long, looong time. And a plot that basically just stands in the same place after the initial 2 hours (which are still the best by the 20 hours i've played) that sets up what proceeds to be 15 hours of kind of nothing.

I enjoyed Mafia 2, what is it specifically that brings this game down?, boring game design?, as in?, is it just more of the generic cookie cutter, open world quest issue that infects most games of the genre, or is it something more deep seated in M3?

Interested in getting this, if the price is right, but the amount of people who say similar to the above puts me off.

Lucreto

I was planning on getting the game when released but it was a buggy mess from what I read.

Have the patches improved the problems it was having?

xrnzaaas

I enjoyed Mafia 2, what is it specifically that brings this game down?, boring game design?, as in?, is it just more of the generic cookie cutter, open world quest issue that infects most games of the genre, or is it something more deep seated in M3?

Interested in getting this, if the price is right, but the amount of people who say similar to the above puts me off.

The biggest problem for me is that it feels like Ubisoft's unlockathon - go to a new district, scout a racket, do the side missions to weaken the racket, kill or eliminate the racket boss. The prologue (around 9 short missions) and the finale are the best parts of the game, plus maybe one or two story missions done between taking over rackets.

danowat

Banned
The biggest problem for me is that it feels like Ubisoft's unlockathon - go to a new district, scout a racket, do the side missions to weaken the racket, kill or eliminate the racket boss. The prologue and the finale are the best parts of the game, plus maybe on or two story missions done between taking over rackets.

So just a normal cookie cutter openworld game then, in the same vein as AC and FC?

If the driving is good and the combat compelling, I may be able to overlook that.........

derFeef

So just a normal cookie cutter openworld game then, in the same vein as AC and FC?

If the driving is good and the combat compelling, I may be able to overlook that.........

Driving is good and the combat is super compelling, like, damn this is good.
Above plus the story keeps me coming back, but not for long. Hope I can finish this some day.

SubbieD

Amazeballs combat and moment to moment gameplay. Super satisfying driving, brilliant sound track, great story. Just don't rush the game. Its 9 districts, and literally the same gameplay loop or way to get one. Do one a day and this will be an amazing ride.

Fundamentally its like AC/FC. Only those are a fucking chore to play (FC especially). This was so dang breezy.

xrnzaaas

Yes. The thing is you can get bored with the racket missions really quick, because even after you go to another district most of them are still going to be very similar in structure (like grabbing a person to interrogate, destroying some supplies or killing some enforcers). Even the main missions performed between attacking rackets usually have the same objective - to kill someone important in Marcano's organization. There are only a few exceptions or missions with a fresh approach
like infiltrating the funeral
. In a lot of ways this game reminded me of Assassin's Creed 1. It really felt like you were checking things off the list and you weren't looking forward to be surprised by some unusual mission or gameplay mechanic. For me only the finale was refreshing
I was expecting a Sal Marcano boss battle

As for the rest of the open world stuff, prior to this new patch you only had two other activities to choose from - picking up collectibles (they're useless unless you want to browse some old Playboy magazines ;)) and doing randomly generated missions for your underbosses.

danowat

Banned
Driving is good and the combat is super compelling, like, damn this is good.
Above plus the story keeps me coming back, but not for long. Hope I can finish this some day.

Amazeballs combat and moment to moment gameplay. Super satisfying driving, brilliant sound track, great story. Just don't rush the game. Its 9 districts, and literally the same gameplay loop or way to get one. Do one a day and this will be an amazing ride.

Fundamentally its like AC/FC. Only those are a fucking chore to play (FC especially). This was so dang breezy.

Thanks, I think I can live with that then!

Akai__

Update is now live for me on Xbox One, too. 2.86GB.

Does anyone know if you actually need money for the car customization?

Turns out you need money. Pretty dumb, because getting money in this game, after you spent it on weapons, upgrades and etc. is very very annoying and time consuming.

The 1st race only gave me 1500$ for 1st place and a Flame Decal. Very disappointing.

Mr. Tibbs

Fantastic interview with Mafia 3 writer Charles Webb over at BBC Radio.

Mafia 3 made Gamasutra's top 10 games of 2016:

If you traveled back in time six months and told past-me that Mafia III would be one of my favorite games of the year, I’d have cheerfully A) asked after your wondrous time machine and B) said you were nuts.

Hangar 13’s debut game appears, on its surface, to be an unremarkable open-world game about gangsters, with little to set it apart from all the other open-world gangster games beyond a novel setting.

But what a setting it is! I lived in Louisiana for a time, and while the city we called home bore little resemblance to Mafia III’s simulacrum of late-’60s New Orleans, there are little details that feel right: the color of the light, for one, or the stark flatness of the landscape.

The game’s design also does a great job at conveying, through systems, some small piece of what I think it must feel like to be a mixed-race man living in the South. For example, there are two separate on-screen indicators that show the player where danger is -- one is a standard red reticle that appears during combat and spikes in different directions to indicate where enemies (and damage) are coming from, while the other is a blue reticle that shows the player where nearby police are and how strongly they’re looking at you.

In just about every other open-world game, that latter indicator would only appear when the player had committed a crime and was being hunted by police. In Mafia III, the police indicator is a constant -- it will always appear and show you that the police are watching you, even if you’ve done nothing wrong.

It’s a simple but effective system, one that serves a useful gameplay purpose (by informing the player when they should step carefully) while also fostering an oppressive feeling of judgment.

They also won "Best Overall Storytelling" from Gamespot.

Thanks, I think I can live with that then!

Be warned that while ubisoft has a very samey design, they still allow you to go mission form mission. This game doesn't do that. Half of what you'll be doing in this game is the same repetitive side content, every time, to unlock the next mission. And in turn, every story mission is about the same too with some exceptions.

The issue with the Ubisoft-design in this is that it simply takes it to a new level, which is a huge stepdown for me compared to the linear design of Mafia 2.

For a game where which the plot goes nowhere after the initial 2 hours, it's far too long imo.
There are definetly more things that i disliked and would like to discuss but that will have to be in the spoiler thread. This game definetly had it's highs, but beware of what i mentioned.

Cheever

Does this patch fix the "fans changing frequency constantly and randomly" thing on the PS Pro?

LOL for a second I thought I read "Does this patch fix Fans changing (opinions) frequently, constantly, and randomly?"

(I don't know to answer your original question)

Oh christ, i think i'm finally nearing the end of this game. Seriously, the music is great, Lincoln is baller, the world is interesting, the combat is solid as hell (if shamelessly generic) but everything is brought down by some of the most endearing and boring game design i've played in a long, looong time. And a plot that basically just stands in the same place after the initial 2 hours (which are still the best by the 20 hours i've played) that sets up what proceeds to be 15 hours of kind of nothing.

I'm still happy i bought the game because there's still alot i like about it, but jesus christ they really did a disservice to this game by moving it in a more "open world" direction.
I really hope the expansions have a bigger linear narrative focus, i really really do.

One last thing, the car handling is pretty damn nice, interested in trying out the racing.
Noah Gervais covers this in his series analysis, and it made me appreciate Mafia 2's lean story first approach so much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lestiMZ4qk

Not sure how this game got any praise for its story. Its just a one note revenge story where everyone is an angry cursy horrible person. Its nothing like mafia 2 which had a pretty strong narrative with actual characters.

danowat

Banned
This has got to be one of the critically underrated games of the year, despite the shortcomings it deserves more than it got in terms of reviews.

I get that there are issues with cookie cutter content that repeats throughout (but this isn't the only game guilty of this), but the good is so good that (I) can forgive that, it's a game that is best played in short (er) bursts otherwise I can see fatigue setting in quickly.

The combat is really fun, the gunplay is great, feels dynamic I like the way the enemies react depending on where they get shot, melee is meaty and just a lot of fun.

Driving is great, cars are nice and weighty and when you get used to the handling you can drift them around with aplomb.

The setting is special as is the soundtrack, probably the best open world I've played to date.

Story is great too, the cutscenes are well acted and the dialogue is slick and believable, the biggest plaudit I can give is that it feels like a good movie, it feels a bit more 'grown up'.

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised I wasn't expecting much!.

black070

What's the state of the PS4 Pro version now? Looks like it's going to be cheap during the boxing day sales.

Looks and runs great.

Just completed it along with all the side missions - it does get very repetitive, at times monotonously so, but I just couldn't stop until I had completed it. The story, soundtrack, presentation and core gameplay are just so damn good, and having just started Watch Dogs 2, I sure am realising how great the driving mechanics were as well.

Lifeline

Just finished this game today, and have mixed feelings about it. The beginning and ending were great, but the middle was such a slog to play through. The worst are the optional missions that send you to the bayou, and have you drive a slow ass truck all the way back. Also these are the missions that glitched out on me the most, with nothing showing up at the objective markers.

The game had some great voice acting. Also it was pretty shocking seeing Nolan North voiced Remy. I really liked Remy's radio shows even though he was a dick, he had a smooth voice that was great to listen to. Now i know why. I hope Nolan North continues to play surprise villains in games.

Story had some great highlights and it was nice seeing Vito again
And Joe, if that was him in the end there.
. I don't remember much of Mafia 2, but i remember enjoying the gameplay and the story more than this one.

Ending stuff:

I'm so confused at the ending with Donavan shooting the senator. Does this mean that Donovan ratted out Lincoln just to shoot the senator? Assuming you get the ending where Lincoln hadn't already died. Also looked up Vito's death scene, and it seems so out of character. Burke's death was really emotional, glad no one died in my game though.

I doubt we'll get another Mafia game, I don't think the series really knows what it wants to do with the open world genre. Hope they figure something out, we're lacking the non satire and more serious takes on the genre.

dawid

This game doesen't get enough shit for how horrible the mid-game is. It's so uninspired mission-design that it doesnt even deserve to be called missions.

Over and over for 20 hours...

danowat

Banned
I was cycling in the Welsh mountains one day, weather wasn't brilliant but it was a nice day in the saddle.

I remember one particular mountain climb, it was really tough, 25% gradient, pretty steep, I can remember thinking that once I get to the summit to view and the descent would be worth it, so I dug in and enjoyed the ascent as much as possible.

I got within sight of the summit and decided I had enough in my legs to push on as it was close, so I gritted my teeth and went for it.

Just as I was cresting the summit, I realised that I was pushing for a false summit and I was only halfway to the real summit.

THAT is Mafia 3 in a nutshell.

nOoblet16

Do the side missions have any bearing on how the story plays out?

I want to see this story to its completion but the mission design is such a slog, it would be less painful if driving to the missions didn't take longer than actually finishing the mission and if they didn't ask you to infiltrate the same location twice while taking down someone (the main guy is usually always in the area that you infiltrated previously once while trying to take down his traffic).

jmood88

This has some of the best acting I've seen in a game and I hope that Hangar 13 gets a chance to do a sequel to fix the repetitiveness of the missions (or just not make it an open-world game).

Top Bottom