• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 PC performance thread

4jjiyoon

30fps in FH3 on PC feels worse (framepacing?) and has horrible input lag compared to the X1 version. I played them side by side on my UHD TV and its night and day.

I was wondering if the 30fps in this also feels like shit. I have limited experience running PC versions at 30

Oh okay.

You can always use a program called RTSS to lock it to 30. That'll sort out any framepacing issues.

Corpekata

Banned
Anyone getting weird shimmering at the edges of the screen sometimes? Is super distracting. Like I can live with some of the other issues, but not that.

980 and i5-4690k here.

Running game at a locked 30FPS at 2560x1440p on a 120Hz GSync monitor.

This title looks SUBSTANTIALLY better in motion than these screenshots would suggest. Is it a far softer image than I'm used to? Yes. Downsampling from 4k gives me the clarity I would expect from a native 1440p image but I can't maintain 30FPS at that internal res.

The character models, Lincoln especially, look as good as the ones in UC4. And the game feels smoother at 30FPS than that title did for me - no awful ghosting on camera pans. It's not ideal, but it's more than playable.

Also, it does not look worse than Mafia II. As someone who replayed that game before this came out, trust me, it's a generational difference and NOLA looks amazing, as do the NPCs. As for the UI - it's tiny and in the far corners of the screen for me. There's a resize option in the menus. It would be nice to disable some stuff but it's taking up minimal screen real estate as is at my res.

lol-gif-36.gif

Maaaan I was looking forward to this and re-bought Mafia II to play through it again in anticipation, I was on the verge of pre-ordering for like $30 a while back but then decided to wait and see if there would be a promotion bundle between 2K and NVIDIA for it like they've done in the past including Mafia II since I was interested in buying a 1070 but when that didn't happen and I was heavily considering pre-ordering again. I ended up buying a 1070 this week and sold my GoW4 key since I wasn't interested in it and was going to use the money to buy Mafia III, I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on that. This is pretty inexcusable, I mean I guess it doesn't look like the disaster that was Arkham Knight last year so I guess there's that.

Maybe they should've delayed the PC version a bit though then there'd be complaints about that.

Tovarisc

Doesn't work correctly, at least not for me.

Man, this game can look really, really bad. Something is very wrong with weather effects and lighting.

It also has its moments;
mafia3_2016_10_06_21_inpjq.png

Game is very mixed bag when it comes to visuals. At places looks very nice and others looks so derpy.

When it was raining the entire sky including the clouds had this weird drizzle effect. It looks great at times but the resolution and bugs definetly affect the overall presentation.
Just doesn't look like 1440P

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Pre-ordered on steam but I can get a refund rite? Thinking I should just play on ps4. What do u guys think?

You can refund if you bought it on steam and have 2 hours or less of playtime. You should still get a better performance on PC compared to PS4 if you don't mind 30fps though and are playing with controller.

Maddanth

You can refund if you bought it on steam and have 2 hours or less of playtime. You should still get a better performance on PC compared to PS4 if you don't mind 30fps though and are playing with controller.
Ya thanks, PC version 30 fps too rite? so steam refund is 2 hours or less of playtime rite? Even if I can't play for a week as long as I have 2 hours or less? Maybe I'll try on ps4 and then c how it compares and refund on PC worst case scenario. Thanks allot. Still at work, is steam version released?

dreamfall

Are the visual setting using some sort of reconstruction? I am getting mad Quantum Break vibes - is that really 1440p? Some sort of dynamic rendering?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Ya thanks, PC version 30 fps too rite? so steam refund is 2 hours or less of playtime rite? Even if I can't play for a week as long as I have 2 hours or less? Maybe I'll try on ps4 and then c how it compares and refund on PC worst case scenario. Thanks allot. Still at work, is steam version released?

Yep you should be good :) It's releasing in different regions at midnight Thursday, I'm in the UK and it's due to unlock in 30mins or so.

http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

Shouldn I even bother playing it with all these issues or go for the refund?

I'm filling in the refund as I type without having played it.

jrcbandit

What I'm wondering too. I actually bought QB at launch and it looked VERY similar to this. Just incredibly soft

QB has the dynamic resolution which makes it look horribly soft. Run it in real 1080p mode and it looked great. Is Mafia 3 doing some of that dynamic resolution BS?

Submitted my refund. Ended up playing it for a short time, not happy with the frame rate and it felt too slow and clunky controller wise.

Vitor711

I'll take some screenshots tomorrow to prove it. Ellis looks amazing, as does the Black Panther guy who gives you your first mission.

The NPCs are inconsistent but some of the model work is astounding. If it weren't for the weird blurriness and odd lighting transitions when outside, people would be very impressed with this game visually.

ldcommando

Banned
I'll take some screenshots tomorrow to prove it. Ellis looks amazing, as does the Black Panther guy who gives you your first mission.

The NPCs are inconsistent but some of the model work is astounding. If it weren't for the weird blurriness and odd lighting transitions when outside, people would be very impressed with this game visually.

Agreed. The characters models are very impressive so far.

tuxfool

Banned
ND fanboys are real sensitive, huh.

I'd say in this instance he very much isn't wrong. The character work on this game is excellent for a game with a large cast (and an open world), but just looking at the facial movements in the cutscene closeups does show them to be inferior.

Parsnip

Are the visual setting using some sort of reconstruction? I am getting mad Quantum Break vibes - is that really 1440p? Some sort of dynamic rendering?

Probably not.
Looks like bad AA + chromatic aberration causing the overly soft/blurry look. Turning AA off or low seems to help a bit, hopefully they patch in a CA toggle.

This shit is causing eye strain.

Good thing I can wait, still haven't played Mafia 2.

UnrealEck

I can't use my controller. It's basically only giving me movement, camera, aim and shoot. I can't interract with anything like doors or objects.
This is a mess.

Don't know if it's been asked already, is there ultra wide support?

Yes, works on 3440x1440 at least...but there's some UI problems.

The main menu and settings are all messed up, as is the text on racism right before the game starts but once you actually get into the game the menus are centered and work correctly.

Blood effects are in 16:9 unfortunately and there's some weird flickering at the edges of the UI in interiors for some reason.

Coffinhal

Yes, works on 3440x1440 at least...but there's some UI problems.

The main menu and settings are all messed up, as is the text on racism right before the game starts but once you actually get into the game the menus are centered and work correctly.

Blood effects are in 16:9 unfortunately and there's some weird flickering at the edges of the UI in interiors for some reason.

HUD is the same as 16:9 I guess ?

Another weird 21:9 support...

Top Bottom