• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers |OT| Cracking Packs

TheWraith

Just bought this on Steam but it won't start properly, it stops at the promo card screen without any text or mouse pointer, and then exits after any key. I saw someone online mentioning to play without an internet connection, then save and it should be fixed. I did this, it plays perfectly without internet connection, but when playing with internet again doesn't solve anything. Weird! Anyone having the same issue or know a solution?

Kworn

Banned
Hey guys

The deal with Sealed play, what is with it!!

I played through two slots worth and unlocked the additional packs but could not make a decent deck out of any of them.

So I bought an additional slot (Which I thought would be a pack) and that just lets do the same over and over. You cant add all the cards you have gather to make awesome desk? Only use the 80 or so that are randomly given.

this is shit in my opinion.

Why dont they give you the option to add or buy one booster pack at a time. This is fucking pissing me off!!

The idea with Sealed is that each player get the same amount of cards to build a deck from. This creates situations where you're usually forced to either play with bad cards in one color or decent cards spread across several colors. It's a bit messed up in this game since you're facing pre-made decks. Being able to buy your way to victory defeats the purpose of the game mode.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So I downloaded the demo to this yesterday and played a few of the tutorial levels (I've never played Magic before). Seems kinda fun. What's the game like for a newbie like me? Will I enjoy it? Or do I have to be a Magic veteran to get entertainment out of this game?

ultron87

So I downloaded the demo to this yesterday and played a few of the tutorial levels (I've never played Magic before). Seems kinda fun. What's the game like for a newbie like me? Will I enjoy it? Or do I have to be a Magic veteran to get entertainment out of this game?

It is pretty much perfect for a newbie.

Negator

I thought I'd come in here and ask if any of you plan on using your Steam/Android/iOS free card promotion? Probably a longshot, but if anyone in here doesn't care, I'd definitely make use of that card if you don't want it.

I thought I'd come in here and ask if any of you plan on using your Steam/Android/iOS free card promotion? Probably a longshot, but if anyone in here doesn't care, I'd definitely make use of that card if you don't want it.

I redeemed mine last night! Pretty cool card. Worth a bit of coin, too.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Anyone else having issues redeeming the promo codes on Steam? I've tried enabling and disabling Server Driven Content, and pretty much everything I can think of and still doesn't work.

Hey guys

The deal with Sealed play, what is with it!!

I played through two slots worth and unlocked the additional packs but could not make a decent deck out of any of them.

So I bought an additional slot (Which I thought would be a pack) and that just lets do the same over and over. You cant add all the cards you have gather to make awesome desk? Only use the 80 or so that are randomly given.

this is shit in my opinion.

Why dont they give you the option to add or buy one booster pack at a time. This is fucking pissing me off!!

It's a big downgrade from the at least somewhat more interesting Planechase and Archenemy modes, even if those were pretty casual/unbalanced. The client overall is clunkier and buggier, too. This year's DOTP is a big, big disappointment.

Oh and the "story" is fucking HORRID. Jesus christ, keep your terrible terrible storytelling away from me, WOTC.

Kworn

Banned
It's a big downgrade from the at least somewhat more interesting Planechase and Archenemy modes, even if those were pretty casual/unbalanced. The client overall is clunkier and buggier, too. This year's DOTP is a big, big disappointment.

Oh and the "story" is fucking HORRID. Jesus christ, keep your terrible terrible storytelling away from me, WOTC.

Yes, I would have to agree. What's the point in having a story in MTG?

JulianImp

They're actually trying to get people invested in the horrible, horrible MTG lore.

And in the worst possible way too, it seems. You're kind of Chandra's errand boy, running around the multiverse and looking for clues while using other people's decks. It'd have been cooler if you teamped up more with her over the course of the game, or if the matches you played weren't 80% encounters against predetermined, non-randomized decks, since there just isn't much to do once you finish the main story and the sealed campaigns.

I mean, if they had the ability to automatically make decks for you, why wouldn't they use that algorithm to generate your opponent's decks, rather than using strictly monocolored ones?

And in the worst possible way too, it seems. You're kind of Chandra's errand boy, running around the multiverse and looking for clues while using other people's decks. It'd have been cooler if you teamped up more with her over the course of the game, or if the matches you played weren't 80% encounters against predetermined, non-randomized decks, since there just isn't much to do once you finish the main story and the sealed campaigns.

I mean, if they had the ability to automatically make decks for you, why wouldn't they use that algorithm to generate your opponent's decks, rather than using strictly monocolored ones?

Part of me suspects that DotP 2012 and 2013 were too good, in the sense that people were enjoying them on their own and not engaging in a sufficient amount of microtransactions (foil conversions, fucking lol) and not being driven toward MTGO or buying physical cards. DOTP 2014 feels like it's all about only being a gateway to other stuff and no longer being an enjoyable standalone product.

Kworn

Banned
Part of me suspects that DotP 2012 and 2013 were too good, in the sense that people were enjoying them on their own and not engaging in a sufficient amount of microtransactions (foil conversions, fucking lol) and not being driven toward MTGO or buying physical cards. DOTP 2014 feels like it's all about only being a gateway to other stuff and no longer being an enjoyable standalone product.

I bought those foil conversion's thinking that I would get new rarer cards. All I got was just a few random shineys which do NOTHING!!!

Daily MTG said:
Coming in September, the first expansion for Magic 2014—Duels of the Planeswalkers! It will begin rolling out across platforms on September 18, 2013, and will become available depending on platform and region after that.

Let your spark grow into a raging wildfire! Explore new planes and fight new enemies with the Magic 2014—Duels of the Planeswalkers expansion, featuring additional campaign levels, decks, and challenges.

Further planar travel leads you into conflict with another Planeswalker, Elspeth Tirel. She is a weary knight searching for a safe haven, but she is still a powerful force to be reckoned with. Defeat her to continue your quest for the magical force you need to prolong your life.

The Magic 2014 Expansion adds many hours of new gameplay:
  • Five new playable decks: Unlock 280 unique cards over multiple battles
  • New campaign levels: Battle through six new single-player campaign levels as you explore the planes of Ravnica and Kamigawa
  • Five new challenges: Fiendish puzzles test your strategic thinking
  • Much more: Unlock new persona portraits, achievements and trophies, and more
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1310

ultron87

In for the expansion puzzles and will definitely try the new decks out.

I haven't been playing nearly as much of 2014 as I did 2013 since I've started actually going to FNM and tournaments in paper Magic, so I'm pretty satiated these days. I guess that is exactly the trajectory Wizards hopes everyone takes.

TommyT

So I learned MTG while I was at PAX and picked this up. Blowing through it, and enjoying it. Rather disappointed it took me this long to get into Magic (I was mostly Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!).

Anyway, questions:

Can you acquire packs to edit your preconstructed decks?
Can you acquire more packs for sealed play?
Can you acquire packs?
Can you mix decks in the deck editor from the preconstructed decks?
Is there a mode that gives me access to all the cards (from sealed, preconstructed decks, whatever) and let's me build a deck to play with it (anywhere)?
Is there a 'beginner' online level when playing multiplayer?

Can you acquire packs to edit your preconstructed decks?
No, you can only unlock certain cards by playing against the AI in the campaign mode.
Can you acquire more packs for sealed play?
Yes, you can unlock up to three extra booster packs.
Can you mix decks in the deck editor from the preconstructed decks?
No, and that's one of the main flaws with this game. It's meant to be an introduction to the real thing so they want to limit functionality.
Is there a mode that gives me access to all the cards (from sealed, preconstructed decks, whatever) and let's me build a deck to play with it (anywhere)?
No, for that you need to download Magic Online and pay full price for cards and packs. The price is the same as for the paper version.

TommyT

No, you can only unlock certain cards by playing against the AI in the campaign mode.

Yes, you can unlock up to three extra booster packs.

No, and that's one of the main flaws with this game. It's meant to be an introduction to the real thing so they want to limit functionality.

No, for that you need to download Magic Online and pay full price for cards and packs. The price is the same as for the paper version.

Thanks for the replies. At the bolded: Isn't that just 3 slots for extra sealed decks? Or, with my already sealed deck with the 5 packs, I can add 3 additional packs? Thus making my sealed deck be constructed from a total of 8 packs?
If it's indeed a total of 8 packs for a sealed deck, how do I unlock the extra 3?

The last bit about Magic Online: What are the prices of cards and packs? At this point, it looks like my MTG experience is going to start and stop with this game and me being left with just knowing how to play.

edit: NVM about that last bit, I just looked online. Not going to pay for that. :lol WotC, :lol (Unless I can buy the cards physically and put in a code to get them digitally as well...)

edit2: Props to those that play the physical game, though. All the shit you have to keep track of that the game does for you is incredible. I can't imagine trying to do that when I was younger, probably what kept me out of it so long ago.

ultron87

You get 3 more boosters for a sealed deck (to complement the six you start with) when you run it through the mini sealed campaign. So a "complete" sealed deck is made from 9 boosters total.

Separately, you can also buy new slots for opening entirely new pools of cards.

TommyT

You get 3 more boosters for a sealed deck (to complement the six you start with) when you run it through the mini sealed campaign. So a "complete" sealed deck is made from 9 boosters total.

Separately, you can also buy new slots for opening entirely new pools of cards.

Oh cool, thanks!

A buddy told me about some randomizer script you could run to wipe your old decks or something and make new ones. Is that still a thing?

Violet_0

Banned
did anyone get the expansion? Is it just me or is the elves deck kind of ridicules (again)? Also Burn & Dodge is pretty neat

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Looks like FFA rankings were reset with ios7. Not sure if it'll come back but I'm kinda pissy. Was hovering at 24-28 with 10k players ranked. Now there's only 338.

zewone

did anyone get the expansion? Is it just me or is the elves deck kind of ridicules (again)? Also Burn & Dodge is pretty neat

It seems kind of limited with no removal spells of any kind.

Same with Samurai.

Best deck in expansion is probably Demons.

Burn and Dodge is great in 2HG. Awesome support deck.

ultron87

Also I noticed last night that buying the expansion on iPad unlocked every card for the original 10 decks. I actually find that kind of annoying.

Violet_0

Banned
It seems kind of limited with no removal spells of any kind.

Same with Samurai.

Best deck in expansion is probably Demons.

Burn and Dodge is great in 2HG. Awesome support deck.

yeah, after unlocking the elf deck, lots of game-winning cards but not a single removal or anything to deal with flyers

Dodge & Burn and Demons are probably the best of the bunch (also my favorites), simply because board-wipes are just so powerful in this format imo. Fine-tuning my Heartless Summoning Demon deck at the moment, seems to work pretty good so far

e: okay, D&B > Demons > Exalted/Samurai > Elves is my current ranking. Demons might be slightly stronger in 2-headed

Violet_0

Banned
seems like Garruk and perhaps Zombies are the only decks that stand a chance against Dodge & Burn. Any deck that relies too much on 3/3 or weaker creatures is hopeless, which is pretty much all of them. Eldrazi is too slow/vulnerable to counterspells, Demons have an unfavorable matchup

ultron87

seems like Garruk and perhaps Zombies are the only decks that stand a chance against Dodge & Burn. Any deck that relies too much on 3/3 or weaker creatures is hopeless, which is pretty much all of them. Eldrazi is too slow/vulnerable to counterspells, Demons have an unfavorable matchup

The little bit I've played that deck so far I keep ending up burning myself out instead of the opponent. I definitely want it to be good because that is the kind of deck I love to play, so I'm glad to hear it gets better if built correctly.

Violet_0

Banned
The little bit I've played that deck so far I keep ending up burning myself out instead of the opponent. I definitely want it to be good because that is the kind of deck I love to play, so I'm glad to hear it gets better if built correctly.

it's easily the strongest deck currently imo

I wonder why they haven't included a B/U Ninjutsu deck in the DLC, the mechanic and the creature cards in campaign encounters are far more interesting than the Bushido samurai deck. Hopefully we'll get one in the next deck pack

ultron87

Got to Storm Count 15 in the last expansion challenge. Wasn't enough. I love everything it represents. Must keep trying.

The Burn and Dodge deck is sooooo much fun to play.

Lyng

Is it worth it to get MTGDOTP 2014 if you allready have 2013?

Dont understand why WOTC dont try to challenge blizzard by making you able to buy packs and customize your decks.
With the hype Hearthstone has created there would actually be an excellent chance for WOTC to pull people in to magic, since blizzard have done a downright frack up with their handling of the beta.
Seems like a wasted potential since not everyone wants to go into the physical version, why not go full out and capitalize on the digital version.

Six years ago they moved development in-house and that was clearly a mistake. The core game is fantastic, but the graphics are poor and the interface is a mess. They should either outsource the development or beef up their internal studio. I still have 20k+ cards and I haven't touched it in ages.

Lyng

Ah that explains. But this actually brings me back to my earlier point: I feel they have wasted such a great potential. Magic is a brilliant game and the presentation in DotP is visually very appealing. They should just make Magic Online and base it on the DotP engine.

I would like to have something in between. The main gameplay screen in DotP is fine, but they need to do something about the menu systems and the deck organization. The performance is also quite poor. A card game shouldn't have framerate drops on a dedicated gaming PC.

Top Bottom