• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers |OT| Cracking Packs

marrec

Banned
Has anyone else noticed that the Sealed campaign is incredibly easy? I was hoping for a bit more of a challenge before moving on to online play, but I stomped through everything pretty quickly.

ultron87

The encounter where you're playing against the Relentless Rats every turn deck took me quite a while to take out. Had to switch to the Eldrazi deck because Avacyn's Glory just wasn't getting the nut draw it needed to keep up with a 2/2 that becomes 2 3/3s that become 3 4/4s etc etc. I guess it was nice of Wizard's to let everyone experience the fun of playing against a Pack Rat (though this deck can only make a new guy once a turn, and not at instant speed).

finished the main campaign and and the sealed one. they were all very easy. only the very first fight vs chandra gave me a bit of trouble. i just kept the green deck for main.

orion434

In my Sealed Packs I opened a Grave Titan, a Diabolic Tutor and 2 of those Green Creatures that let you search for a creature with Death Touch and put it on top of your library, that along with 4 Rampant Growth I get that Titan out almost every game.

zewone

In my Sealed Packs I opened a Grave Titan, a Diabolic Tutor and 2 of those Green Creatures that let you search for a creature with Death Touch and put it on top of your library, that along with 4 Rampant Growth I get that Titan out almost every game.
That sounds amazing.

Dunlop

Had a lot of fun with the Android demo aside from the starting deck seeming crazy powerful.

As I mentioned, had this had MP I would have instantly purchased or if it had been discounted because of the lack of MP

Not sure what they were thinking about releasing the game on a new OS in gimped form

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

In my Sealed Packs.. I opened 4 Jinxed Idols and 3 Indestructibilities. Sigh.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Did anyone ever figure out how to get more sealed play?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Unlocked all of Avacyn's deck. Not as impressed with it as many of you are. I will say I miss racing against those blue discard/empty library decks from 2013.

the randomization in this game is still utter garbage. don't tell me i'm not able to draw a second plains after 20 minutes in a 40 card deck. i get killed by mana 80% if the time online. card shuffling doesn't work like this in rl.

KuroNeeko

the randomization in this game is still utter garbage. don't tell me i'm not able to draw a second plains after 20 minutes in a 40 card deck. i get killed by mana 80% if the time online. card shuffling doesn't work like this in rl.

Sure it does, that's how randomization works.

Nalsh

Sounds like Wizards is out to get you.

Minsc

Gold Member
it happens all the time. that's not a "working" conditon.

Shouldn't it happen all the time to your opponents then as well?

I haven't played many games in 2014 yet, but it's never happened once to me so far, and I rarely ever saw it in 2013 either. Also, can't you manually increase the number of lands, maybe your deck simply needs more cards that bring mana? Consider adding more low cost cards that bring lands to play or to your hand if it's a problem.

Shouldn't it happen all the time to your opponents then as well?

I haven't played many games in 2014 yet, but it's never happened once to me so far, and I rarely ever saw it in 2013 either. Also, can't you manually increase the number of lands, maybe your deck simply needs more cards that bring mana? Consider adding more low cost cards that bring lands to play or to your hand if it's a problem.

thanks. i already have 18 or 19 land in my 40 card deck. i think 24 in 60. can't really monitor what my opponent draws in his day. 2012 and 2014 were really bad for me.

ultron87

I will agree with folks that it feels like you draw long strings of land more often in this than on MTGO or in real life. It is certainly possible that it is just bad luck but to try and ameliorate it I've just started ratcheting down the number of lands in every deck. I think I usually start at 23 lands (which is two less than the default of 25) and I don't feel like I've experienced a ton of mana screw since making that change. I think I have the Avacyn's Glory deck down to 22 or 21 lands, but that makes sense because most of that deck is cheap stuff.

thanks. i already have 18 or 19 land in my 40 card deck. i think 24 in 60. can't really monitor what my opponent draws in his day. 2012 and 2014 were really bad for me.

18-19 is a little high for 40 cards. Traditionally 17 is the starting point with a +1/-1 adjustment depending on your deck's curve.

Dina

For some reason I can't seem to beat Chandra with the starter Green deck. Anyone got tips to modify the deck?

Sealed Play is also pretty wonky, but maybe I should just stick with monocoloured decks and no duo-coloured ones. I keep losing the first fight, lol.

18-19 is a little high for 40 cards. Traditionally 17 is the starting point with a +1/-1 adjustment depending on your deck's curve.

i agree. and yet i wasn't drawing any plains :(

For some reason I can't seem to beat Chandra with the starter Green deck. Anyone got tips to modify the deck?

just keep trying. that was the only fight where i had to restart 4x in the campaign.

Called a couple of card shops since the one I usually go to wasn't getting them. Got my Ooze.
0hlMyHkl.jpg

Even though I turn off the combat animation, it still plays them. Combat is really slow.
Well, grinding some cards.

Opps. Combat is really slow during the tutorial. Its fine everywhere else. -_-

hoverX

Ok. I'm playing the campaign and I'm frustrated as hell. I can't get past skirsdag cultists (the 2nd match) any hints?

Planning to get this game soon due to a recommendation from a friend. Looking forward to it, even though I'm still a relative Magic newbie.

ultron87

Have we gotten any of the promotional codes for unlocking the ten bonus cards?

I'm not seeing any mention of them yet over on the Wizard's forum. I wouldn't be shocked if they end up giving some out at the M14 prerelease this weekend.

On that note, if anyone that hasn't played paper Magic enjoyed this game and liked the idea of Sealed Deck local game stores all over the place will be having prerelease events for the Magic 2014 Core Set this weekend. These are always sealed events so you can get to try out that format with real cards and are always great introductory events for new players.

Bought and really liking the Black deck (Deadwalkers I think it's called). I'm not a pro by far at Magic, but this digital implementation is so well-made. I feel like a fool for spending an extra dollar for that foil conversion, though... Can't even see it that well.

y2dvd

Are the rankings based per mode? Also, I'm playing on PSN and 1 and 2 are so far ahead of everyone else wtf!

Had some glitches of not being able to zoom in or use certain abilities on certain cards. There was no abilities to prevent me from using it. There've also been a few times when an instant was casted and it didn't give me the option to stop the timer to respond which was very frustrating.

I've been playing a lot of Sealed, tho both of my slots had terrible pulls all around. Thinking of buying more slots. Their ploy is working!

All in all enjoying the game.

hoverX

Enjoying this a lot but frustrated by a few things. The interface keeps causing me to make stupid mistakes. Choosing the wrong card etc. Also, I won a match and for some reason it didn't recognize the win. It was a hard fought victory too...

Daigoro

jesus sealed play online is ridiculous. my deck is dogshit compared to every deck i fight. the cards these guys pulled are crazy. just went 0-4. i was almost competitive in one of them...

i also dont really have a great grasp on deck building yet, so im sure thats not helping, but still.ran into titans two games in a row.

Bought and really liking the Black deck (Deadwalkers I think it's called). I'm not a pro by far at Magic, but this digital implementation is so well-made. I feel like a fool for spending an extra dollar for that foil conversion, though... Can't even see it that well.

Have not seen that, but I am a bit angry about the cheating AI from time to time. It is just very "convenient" it has the right cards at the right time sometimes.

I don't think I've been so addicted to a game on my iPad before.

How does the 'Deck Strength' meter work in Sealed Play deck management? I've let the computer fill out a couple deck combinations based on a few central cards. Some decks it marks as 'AWESOME' are not really all that 'AWESOME'

My second Sealed Deck has 3 Doors to Nothingness :\

zewone

Promo codes are out for PS3, Steam, & Android.

Promo Code #1: GKSNDR

Promo Code #2: DWNNDR

Doesn't work on Xbox and iPad will have these patched in.

zulux21

so my college buddy finally got home so i got a chance to play two headed with him... we only had 2 decks unlocked so we decided to make it fair and do random to decide who gets which deck... we played a few games and then looked to see what we unlocked to find we had unlocked nothing :/

it's really really dumb that you don't unlock any cards when you play random decks... it basically means I will likely never use random as I tend to just play decks I have unlocks left... and my whole plan with the random was just to play random all of the time in 2014 -_-

Trakan

so my college buddy finally got home so i got a chance to play two headed with him... we only had 2 decks unlocked so we decided to make it fair and do random to decide who gets which deck... we played a few games and then looked to see what we unlocked to find we had unlocked nothing :/

it's really really dumb that you don't unlock any cards when you play random decks... it basically means I will likely never use random as I tend to just play decks I have unlocks left... and my whole plan with the random was just to play random all of the time in 2014 -_-

They patched this yesterday on the ipad version, so it's likely coming for every platform eventually.

zulux21

They patched this yesterday on the ipad version, so it's likely coming for every platform eventually.

glad to here that because it's really dumb not to get unlocks while playing random decks....
anyways I should prolly play some more magic 2014 so I have more than 2 decks to play with in two headed giant lol.

Top Bottom