• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers |OT| Cracking Packs

Ryan_

Should I wait for the summer sale to buy this game?

Also, as a total nublet to these kinds of games, is the 2014 version a good introduction?
I mean, I won't be tuning and customizing any decks soon so are the pre-made ones any good?

Phreaker

So I started playing the SEALED campaign last night (360 version), so fun and I am so glad they added this to DOTP!

Of course I ran into a horrid bug where the HUD disappeared after an attack so I had no idea how much life he or I had anymore. Shortly after that I played a card that let me pull a creature from my graveyard and the card just sat out there in the middle of the screen with my graveyard highlighted orange, but I couldn't do anything so I had to force quit. :(

IvorB

Also, as a total nublet to these kinds of games, is the 2014 version a good introduction?
I mean, I won't be tuning and customizing any decks soon so are the pre-made ones any good?

I don't know about 2014 specifically but generally you can take your pick from a variety of pre-made decks so you can usually find something you like. Just pick a deck and play the campaign. You will face all the decks then and you can see if something catches your eye.

Unfortunately every time you win you will unlock a card for that deck which is automatically added to it. This means your deck will soon be too big and you will need to decide what to remove. I'm also quite new to this but you don't need to be nervous about customising. That's when things get interesting.

Ferrio

Banned
So how the hell does dual mana work in this game? It seems it auto picks what mana I wanna tap based on what cards I have left to cast?

ultron87

So how the hell does dual mana work in this game? It seems it auto picks what mana I wanna tap based on what cards I have left to cast?

I don't know how it picks the first land selection, but you can cycle through your available lands to pick the right combo you want to use before you cast the spell. On iPad you do it by selecting the card and then tapping on it while it is highlighted. I assume on other platforms there is some button that does this.

ZeroCoin

I don't know how it picks the first land selection, but you can cycle through your available lands to pick the right combo you want to use before you cast the spell. On iPad you do it by selecting the card and then tapping on it while it is highlighted. I assume on other platforms there is some button that does this.

I believe it is by clicking in the left stick, at least for the 360 and I'd assume the ps3 as well.

Ryan_

I don't know about 2014 specifically but generally you can take your pick from a variety of pre-made decks so you can usually find something you like. Just pick a deck and play the campaign. You will face all the decks then and you can see if something catches your eye.

Unfortunately every time you win you will unlock a card for that deck which is automatically added to it. This means your deck will soon be too big and you will need to decide what to remove. I'm also quite new to this but you don't need to be nervous about customising. That's when things get interesting.

Thanks man! Still don't know if it's better to wait for a possible Summer Sale drop or not, though.

coopolon

You could probably get complete 2012 or 2013 for ~$5 in the summer sale. The only thing you'll be missing out on is multiplayer (which is still working, but probably not as active as the newest verion) and the sealed decks. But the premades may actually be better, at least in 2012. Then if you still are interested get 2014 in xmas sale for $5.

Violet_0

Banned
is there anything wrong with the 2013 pre-made decks? I thought the game had a better balanced than 2012. Though to be honest, I vastly preferred the DLC decks even if most of the deck packs were kinda underpowered

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
2012 black decks ruled. 2013 green decks ruled. Still haven't had time to hit up 2014..tonight probably. If anyone is strictly bout da mp on ps3, add me and I'm always up for a game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
2012 black decks ruled. 2013 green decks ruled. Still haven't had time to hit up 2014..tonight probably. If anyone is strictly bout da mp on ps3, add me and I'm always up for a game.

If you wanna help me with the win achievement on '13/'14, I'm willing to play either/or after but I haven't unlocked anything since I'm still (slowly) going through DLC #3 for 2011.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
If you wanna help me with the win achievement on '13/'14, I'm willing to play either/or after but I haven't unlocked anything since I'm still (slowly) going through DLC #3 for 2011.

Yeah whatever. I just realized I never played these games with other gafers so it'd be nice to get some matches.

AcridMeat

Banned
I'm weak and bought this. D: I didn't play 2013 much but I've played the crap out of the others. I need to sift through my cards in sealed mode more, but I was given basically everything. Not sure how I would build a decent deck with it.

red13th

Lost five times in a row to Liliana, two with Ajani and two with green ramp deck. Her draws are absolutely hilarious, Tendrils of Corruption the turn before I killed her, then Fleshbag Marauder to kill my voltroned dude.

Lasdrub

Lost five times in a row to Liliana, two with Ajani and two with green ramp deck. Her draws are absolutely hilarious, Tendrils of Corruption the turn before I killed her, then Fleshbag Marauder to kill my voltroned dude.

The black deck seems pretty fun in this one. I won with the green deck against her.

Both my sealed decks turned out to be white/black, and both are fairly different, which is surprising considering the low number of cards here.

One is clearly better than the other though. But the in game deck rater calls the worse one better.

ultron87

My White/Black sealed is crazy:

2 Murders, 2 Fiend Hunters, more Assassinates than I even want to play, Pacifism, Public Execution, Day of Judgment, 2 Serra Angels, Archangel of Thune, Hypnotic Specter

Mana is a little rough with all that double black/double white stuff but it usually works out.

Both my sealed decks turned out to be white/black, and both are fairly different, which is surprising considering the low number of cards here.

One is clearly better than the other though. But the in game deck rater calls the worse one better.

Deck rater only cares about a few things.

- exactly 40 cards
- exactly 2 colors
- 14-17 creatures
- 17-18 lands

Tick those boxes and it'll be rated the highest, regardless of your actual cards.

dommynick

Well, I've made it to rank 27 on the 1v1 ladder with the blue deck, my thoughts so far:

They really killed the power level of the decks and the ability to interact with your opponent. This is especially noticeable when you look at the amount and power of non-creature spells. The creatures they've put in this year's version are also a lot more vanilla and creature abilities are more tepid. Every deck save for the green ramp deck seems to revolve around playing creatures and turning them sideways. Creature light decks seem impossible to play.

Based on what I've experienced, the blue deck is the most consistent. I just pretend I'm playing fish and it's smooth sailing. The white weenie and sliver decks are capable of more explosive nut draws, but they seem to come along a lot less frequently than I could play a Lord of the Unreal into a Phantasmal Image into practically anything. Even without Lords or Images, the evasive nature of the creatures in this deck makes it pretty easy. I cut the curve to 3, cut the mana to 20 Islands, and left in most of the combat tricks, it's a total tempo deck.

I hope the expansion packs and promo unlocks add some more power and interactiveness to the game, because it's probably the most boring DotP game out of the four in my opinion. Challenges were super easy to boot.

smr00

Banned
I can't seem to beat the first person in this sealed deck. I can't do anything about his death touch creatures and it's driving me fucking nuts. NUTS.

Well, I've made it to rank 27 on the 1v1 ladder with the blue deck, my thoughts so far:

They really killed the power level of the decks and the ability to interact with your opponent. This is especially noticeable when you look at the amount and power of non-creature spells. The creatures they've put in this year's version are also a lot more vanilla and creature abilities are more tepid. Every deck save for the green ramp deck seems to revolve around playing creatures and turning them sideways. Creature light decks seem impossible to play.

Based on what I've experienced, the blue deck is the most consistent. I just pretend I'm playing fish and it's smooth sailing. The white weenie and sliver decks are capable of more explosive nut draws, but they seem to come along a lot less frequently than I could play a Lord of the Unreal into a Phantasmal Image into practically anything. Even without Lords or Images, the evasive nature of the creatures in this deck makes it pretty easy. I cut the curve to 3, cut the mana to 20 Islands, and left in most of the combat tricks, it's a total tempo deck.

I hope the expansion packs and promo unlocks add some more power and interactiveness to the game, because it's probably the most boring DotP game out of the four in my opinion. Challenges were super easy to boot.

Yea, I agree with this. MM seems to be the OP deck this year, with AG and Slivers behind.

Last year had way better decks.

DrLazy

No couch coop sucks.

So far I'm liking the campaign ok, but like others I'm disappointed with the lack of sophisticated decks. I always play Blue, so now that its one of the best decks it just makes it really easy.

dommynick

No couch coop sucks.

So far I'm liking the campaign ok, but like others I'm disappointed with the lack of sophisticated decks. I always play Blue, so now that its one of the best decks it just makes it really easy.

Blue has always been the best, or among it since DotP 2012.

Violet_0

Banned
they really turned every deck into a no-brainer creature deck this time

well, at least Chandra is good for something, namely messing with the Jace deck

quoting from the SA thread (not me):
Avacyn's Glory definitely seems to be one of the best decks from what I've seen. Although I haven't really even played with any of the other ones.
I've somehow managed to get to Rank 6 on 1v1's with it. The only decks I have any sort of problems with are other Avacyn glory decks and maybe that zombie one from time to time. It just does so well even with only three mana and a lot of creature removal.
looks like either Jace or Avacyn's Glory are the top decks

red13th

The black deck seems pretty fun in this one. I won with the green deck against her.

I had terrible draws and she got disgusting draws. One match (with the ramp deck) I ramped to literally 23 lands and drew a whopping three fatties (Pelakka Wurm, the Hydra and some Eldazi) that got promptly removed before I could attack, then I drew ramp for 6 turns.

Then the next match I played Jace and she didn't draw land so I beat her by turn 5. :lol
Not the best designed decks I've seen on DotP indeed, just look at the Auras in Ajani's deck.

akaoni

Banned
I'm familiar with the name of the card game but nothing beyond that. The promo image with the flaming booby armour lady caught my interest.

Steam demo download doesn't seem to work....

What is all the additional content for?

Yeah, you basically win if you can phantasmal image a lord of the unreal. The deck then becomes almost impossible to deal with disregarding alternate win conditions or board wipes. I'll be testing out the various decks tonight... the white human deck is pretty good - played through the entire single player + revenge scenarios with it and only lost about 3 times. If you're on and want to climb the 2-headed giant rankings let me know.

ultron87

Goldnight Commander and Devout Invocation, yay or nay?

It is kind of a nonbo since you're tapping the guys that would get buffed by the Commander to make the Angels but then the angels don't have Haste so they can't attack either. Increasing Devotion is probably better for combo potential, but then 4/4 Angels are way better than 1/1 Humans (but 5 mana is significantly less than 7).

Does 2014 actually coincide with Core Set 2014 in real life?

Yeah, the 2014 Core Set releases in a few weeks and a bunch of the Mythics from the sealed pool are in there.

IvorB

You could probably get complete 2012 or 2013 for ~$5 in the summer sale. The only thing you'll be missing out on is multiplayer (which is still working, but probably not as active as the newest verion) and the sealed decks. But the premades may actually be better, at least in 2012. Then if you still are interested get 2014 in xmas sale for $5.

I'm still on 2013 and always up for a game or two.

Violet_0

Banned
It is kind of a nonbo since you're tapping the guys that would get buffed by the Commander to make the Angels but then the angels don't have Haste so they can't attack either. Increasing Devotion is probably better for combo potential, but then 4/4 Angels are way better than 1/1 Humans (but 5 mana is significantly less than 7).

yeah, I'm currently playing both cards (and Increasing Devotion) in my deck, I was just wondering if others are using them as well. Under normal circumstances Devout Invocation is pretty much a "I win" card, and a relatively inexpensive one to boot. I'm still not entirely convinced about the Commander though, his ability is pretty great if situational but 4 mana is rather expensive

might as well post my current deck list:
24 lands
3 x Champion of the Parish
2 x Path to Exile
2 x Thalia
1 x Elite Inquisitor
1 x Grand Abolisher
2 x Honor of the Pure
4 x Gather the Townsfolk
2 x Mentor of the Meek
1 x Thraben Doomsayer
3 x Fiend Hunter
2 x Oblivion Ring
1 x Restoration Angel
2 x Goldnight Commander
2 x Angelic Overseer
1 x Baneslayer Angel
1 x Geist-Honored Monk
1 x Increasing Devotion
1 x Hallowed Burial
1 x Bonds of Faith
1 x Martyr's Bond (going to drop this card for something cheaper)
1 x Devout Invocation

and one card that I can't remember

mana curve might be (definitely is) a bit too top heavy, but I'm winning every game at the moment so w/e

TheSeks

I thought local two headed giant was in the game, just under single player for some reason?

He means the campaign. '09/'11 and '12 had Two-headed Giant Campaign. Apparently it was dropped from '13 onwards.

Lasdrub

I had terrible draws and she got disgusting draws. One match (with the ramp deck) I ramped to literally 23 lands and drew a whopping three fatties (Pelakka Wurm, the Hydra and some Eldazi) that got promptly removed before I could attack, then I drew ramp for 6 turns.

Then the next match I played Jace and she didn't draw land so I beat her by turn 5. :lol
Not the best designed decks I've seen on DotP indeed, just look at the Auras in Ajani's deck.

I know how that is. She got ridiculously lucky the first time I played her.

I hate Ajani. He is the first one to go against in Two-Headed Giant. We fought two of him and that was a huge mistake. They had 500 health by the time we lost. I'm also seeing a very annoying pattern with Two-Headed Giant. Either myself or my partner is mana screwed 5/6 times. I'll have to play more to see if it keeps happening.

TheSeks

Well the starting red deck is crap compared to the unlocked version you can tweak it to. Way too slow by default.

I imagine that's why a lot of battles seem unfair too, the basic decks are pretty poorly made at least that first red one is horrible. Others are probably similar. Even with the 30 cards unlocked and it tweaked, it's still not great by any means. I certainly would hope to find a better deck, as for a red deck it does not have enough sustainable board control, too many one time use cards and done, you'll quickly be up against a few creatures with no counter to them based on how the decks played from last year's version.

Edit: Maybe they want to encourage people to build sealed decks for online play lol, instead of the pre-built ones. I certainly imagine you could make a much better deck with a little luck.

Doubt it. Decks (with a few notable exceptions: Sup Wielding Steel?) before everything is unlocked have a HUGE uphill battle unless you cheat the unlocks (or buy an unlock key) it's kinda terribad for casual players.

Ferrio

Banned
Played online with my sealed deck for the first time.

Game went sour quickly as I pulled nothing but mana. I got down to 3 health and him at 43.... yet I pulled it around. Got a life link flyer out, which kept me alive until my serras made it.

TheSeks

Any Promo code unlocks yet?

For digital? No, not yet. May be a month until someone gets those if ever since Wizards may be playing those close to their chest than last year.

But speaking of promos (excuse the crap mobile phone shot, I'll get a better later)

1010179_10100258230507805_513516461_n.jpg

Promo packs are out in the wild. Call your LC/GS and make sure they have it before you make a trip but do it quickly.

Deadman

Unlocked almost all of the green ramp deck, it feels really powerful against ai, will have to test it online tomorrow.

Top Bottom