• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic The Gathering: Arena unveil stream (full MTG digital card game) [Over]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Starting a fresh thread for the stream itself.

https://www.twitch.tv/magic

Beta Sign-ups: https://magic.wizards.com/en/mtgarena

According to the site:

- Full rule set.
- Has everything in standard.
- New sets will be released alongside paper.
- Ranked matchmaking
- Draft events
- Casual constructed
- PC only "for now"
- New rules engine
combat1m0sy8.jpg

jace_2mrsvs.jpg

Q. What platforms will MTG Arena be available on?

A. We're starting with PC only, but we've built MTG Arena on a flexible engine to expand to other platforms when it's ready.

Q. What languages will MTG Arena be available in?

A. During the Closed Beta, the game will be in English only. We will expand to other languages in the future.

Q. How can I get into the Closed Beta?

A. Sign up for the Closed Beta at PlayMTGArena.com. We plan to start inviting players in to get a first look at the game later this year.

Q. What are the recommended system requirements to run MTG Arena?

A. OS: Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit)
Processor: Intel Core i5
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: 1024MB VRAM
Resolution: 1280 x 720 minimum display resolution
DirectX: Version 10/11/12
Network: Broadband internet connection
Sound Card: DirectX-compatible sound card

Q. Where do I give feedback about MTG Arena?

A. Speak your mind and share your thoughts through the MTG Arena Facebook and Twitter channels. Closed Beta participants will be able to talk directly with our developers through the beta forums.

Q. How much will the game cost?

A. MTG Arena will be available to download with no fee and is a free-to-play game. Players looking to enhance their game experience will have the opportunity to do so through play rewards and in-game purchases, but purchases are not required to access the full depth of authentic Magic gameplay.

Q. Do I need to know how to play Magic to enjoy MTG Arena?

A. You should have at least a basic understanding of Magic's rules to take part in the Closed Beta. A learn-to-play experience will be added later for players with less Magic knowledge.

About the Game

Q. What studio is making MTG Arena?

A. We created a new Magic Digital Studio that brings together a team of world-class talent from top gaming studios and Wizards' leading TCG designers. These are all experienced game designers and big Magic fans working to make MTG Arena for you.

Q. What does Closed Beta "priority access" mean?

A. When you sign up for the Closed Beta you'll be eligible to be put in a queue for invitation waves. Players with priority access get to the front of that queue, meaning they will be eligible to play the Closed Beta earlier.

Q. How do I get Closed Beta priority access?

A.

Magic Duels Players: You will get priority access if you have linked your Magic Duels CSID number to your Wizards Account and sign up for Closed Beta.
Magic Online Players: You will get priority access if you participate in the Ixalan Prerelease on Magic Online and sign up for the Closed Beta.
Tabletop Magic Players: You will get priority access if you go to a store and participate in the Ixalan Prerelease and sign up for the Closed Beta. You will also need to have an email address associated with your DCI number to be eligible.

Q. When will I get into the Closed Beta?

A. We will invite players in waves based on the development stage we're at. We'll share more information on the Closed Beta later this year.

Q. What types of Magic: The Gathering cards and formats will people be able to play on MTG Arena?

A. During the Closed Beta, we'll start with Constructed play, where you can build decks using all 279 cards from the upcoming Magic set Ixalan. We plan to add Draft and Ranked Constructed later. Our goal for launch is to include all Standard-legal Magic cards. We have a long roadmap of features planned for MTG Arena and will share each one when we're ready for your feedback.

Q. Will there be account wipes during the Closed Beta?
A. Because we will be testing a number of features during our beta process, we do plan to reset your beta progress at times in the Closed Beta. We'll inform players in advance when a progress reset is scheduled.

Q. When will MTG Arena launch?

A. It will launch when it's ready. Right now, we're focusing on getting the game ready for your feedback in the Closed Beta.

For Magic Online Players

Q. Is MTG Arena going to replace Magic Online?

A. No, development on Magic Online will continue with new card sets, new updates, and ongoing tournaments. The focus of MTG Arena will be on the newest cards and game modes. Because of this, Magic Online—which has a library of nearly every card ever printed from the game's entire history—will continue to offer unique experiences to players.

Q. Why did you choose to build MTG Arena instead of a new Magic Online client?

A. There were a lot of advantages to starting fresh with MTG Arena. The team is building the game in Unity, which gives us more flexibility for future growth. We created a new Game Rules Engine that can better understand even the most obscure card interactions. We wanted to integrate modern online services that will create a dynamic overall experience and also someday integrate with other aspects of your Magic life.

For Magic Duels Players

Q. Is MTG Arena meant to replace Magic Duels?

A. MTG Arena is not a successor to any previous game. We wanted to take the best of what works in Magic Duels, what works in Magic Online, what works with tabletop Magic, and what you should expect from a digital card game to give you the best Magic experience in a digital game.

For Tabletop Magic Players

Q. Will MTG Arena connect with tabletop Magic?

A. Our goal is for MTG Arena to have a greater connection to tabletop Magic that any previous digital game. We are exploring opportunities to connect real-world in-store play with digital play—for instance, giving rewards in MTG Arena for attending a Prerelease. These plans are still being honed and we'll share the full plan when we're ready.

Q. How will MTG Arena be like tabletop Magic?

A. We want MTG Arena to feel like tabletop Magic brought to life. That means the game will be accurate to Magic's rule set, with all the depth and choices you love, and also include new opportunities that come with a digital expression. To make it feel as much like your tabletop experience as possible, we need your feedback. Participate in the Closed Beta. Tell us what you think we get right and what you think we get wrong.

Q. How will MTG Arena affect competitive and pro play?

A. We want to build a game that's as much fun to watch as it is to play, so esports will be important in the future of MTG Arena. But we're still some ways away from integrating MTG Arena into the pro scene. When we're ready to talk about our plans, we'll share them with the players and the pros and listen to your feedback.

Q. How will MTG Arena affect in-store play?

A. We want you to play Magic wherever and however you are happiest playing Magic. With MTG Arena, we want to give you the best possible Magic experience in a digital game. And we will keep supporting in-store play communities like we always have, to give you the best possible real-world Magic experience. We are also exploring plans to connect in-store play with digital play, but they are still in the works.

Shai-Tan

Banned
nice. hopefully it's something I can play on my new iPad pro?

edit: and I was confused as to whether there is more than one game that they are making

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
nice. hopefully it's something I can play on my new iPad pro?

edit: and I was confused as to whether there is more than one game that they are making

They're making other games that are based on the IP, but this is the primary card game.

According to the site:

- Full rule set.
- Ranked matchmaking
- Draft events
- Casual constructed
- PC only "for now"
- New rules engine

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
According to the site:

- Full rule set.
- Ranked matchmaking
- Draft events
- Casual constructed
- PC only "for now"
- New rules engine

That's perfect for launch. I'd like them to slowly expand back and include all of Modern eventually but out of the gate that's real solid

AlanOC91

Very very similar to Hearthstone, the way it's laid out. And that's not a bad thing.

Please for the love of God Konami, do the same for Yu-Gi-Oh instead of releasing a billion separate mediocre games.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Soooooo, it's Duels 2.0 but starting with Ixalan and working forward.

It certainly feels like Duels 2.0 (or 3.0 as I thought duels improved a lot from the initial variant).

That being said if I can't play anywhere with a cloud account for multiple platforms it's DOA for me. The ability to play on a PC then jump to my console or take it with me on my phone or play on a tablet from bed is something I can't give up now.

Too many games already do this. I know it takes time, but too many card games beat MtG to the punch so to speak.

ultron87

This looks pretty nice. Wonder how there being an opportunity to respond to stuff works. Things seem to be going pretty fast as if it is auto passing.

PSqueak

Banned
Question, will "digitizing" your real life magic cards be possible?

I remember even gba yugioh games had this feature, i just got into magic and this would be awesome to calibrate deck building.

Shai-Tan

Banned
It certainly feels like Duels 2.0 (or 3.0 as I thought duels improved a lot from the initial variant).

That being said if I can't play anywhere with a cloud account for multiple platforms it's DOA for me. The ability to play on a PC then jump to my console or take it with me on my phone or play on a tablet from bed is something I can't give up now.

Too many games already do this. I know it takes time, but too many card games beat MtG to the punch so to speak.

It would be dumb for it not to be server based this time

styl3s

Cannot fucking WAIT. No digital card game has even come close to scratch that MTG itch for me.

I'm a bit confused - is this a sequel to MTGO, Duels, or a hybrid?

Additionally, is there any hope for single-player drafting against A.I.?
I can't see them ever replacing MTGO. Maybe MTGO 2 or a complete revamp but this seems to be like the Hearthstone competitor, a new Duels type game. Also, i would love a cpu draft it's one of my favorite things about Elder Scrolls Legends.

NewGAFGuy

Neo Member
I'm a bit confused - is this a sequel to MTGO, Duels, or a hybrid?

Additionally, is there any hope for single-player drafting against A.I.?

JJH

Please be good. Last Hearthstone expansion really soured the game for me. I need a new CCG fix.

Vanillalite

It would be dumb for it not to be server based this time

It probably will be eventually.

The problem is eventually. Like how long is that? Maybe I'll care in 2 years when it's out of beta and on more than the PC.

I don't mean to sound like a hater, but it's hard in the age of Hearthstone or Eternal to go back. :/

PC only "for now" is....very disappointing. MTGO is super buggy and ugly, so I get trying to give the full Magic experience but with a nicer coat of paint, but, I really want to play this on Mac or consoles.

Neith

Banned
I fucking hate these developers, and I fucking hate this company. Both incompetent.

Duels was supposed to last years. They even told us don't worry pay for shit now this is going to go on for some time. They cut the cord short of two years without even giving a fucking hint to anyone what was going on. They left Duels with the worst board too. None of what the community wanted was ever implemented past some avatars. Stainless and Wizards can suck my balls.

Neith

Banned
so basically this is the latest digital mtg game that will die within 2 years again

Correct sir. That or they will rape you of every lost dollar they can along the way if it is long term.

I really don't think I can do Magic again with these incompetent fucks at the helm. Yeah, still pissed about how Duels was just shutdown one day and not a fucking thing was said about it. BULLSHIT.

Vanillalite

I get being pissed about duels, but idk what they could have announced today to fix any of the complaints on that.

wiibomb

I'm not following anything that's happening.

this is merely for those that are already versed in magic, right?

EDIT: and also, this looks graphically as rough as eternal

Daedardus

Q. Why did you choose to build MTG Arena instead of a new Magic Online client?

A. There were a lot of advantages to starting fresh with MTG Arena. The team is building the game in Unity, which gives us more flexibility for future growth. We created a new Game Rules Engine that can better understand even the most obscure card interactions. We wanted to integrate modern online services that will create a dynamic overall experience and also someday integrate with other aspects of your Magic life.

This is like the biggest non-answer that shows how much faith they have in this game.

ultron87

I'm not following anything that's happening.

this is merely for those that are already versed in magic, right?

EDIT: and also, this looks graphically as rough as eternal

I mean it's pretty similar to Hearthstone where people that know the cards aren't going to be popping up every piece of text and reading it, but it seems like most of that stuff is available to read if you need it.

Top Bottom