• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where does the narrative that week 1 results don't matter come from? It's rarely been metadefining but over the years I've watched now SCG meta has been fairly spot on for the foreseeable future. Usually just lacking the breakout PT deck(s).

Sure this time in particular that might hold true because of the increased lack of time brewing but don't expect Mardi to go anywhere.

Where does the narrative that week 1 results don't matter come from? It's rarely been metadefining but over the years I've watched now SCG meta has been fairly spot on. Usually just lacking the breakout PT deck(s).
There's this general idea that somehow the Pro-Tour is the solving of Standard, despite the Pro-Tour painting a much Rosier Picture of Standard then what ensues.

SCG's generally nailed the broad strokes(except for one or two times recently I can't recall) I mean, Remember that GB Season's Past deck that came up at the Pro-Tour and then died? The Pro-Tour is arguably much more inbred of a tournament then SCG's Tours because of the nature.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I played my Tezzeret deck at Standard Showdown and some hyper-competitive dude on Mardu Vehicles showed up and smashed me (he mostly played like he was taking way too much Adderall; super fast and twitchy), then seriously looked at me after that "how do you ever expect to beat Mardu Vehicles with that deck?"

Seemed like a douchey thing to say right after a win, but maybe I'm a sensitive sarkhan. I told him, "I plan not to play it because most people don't show up with Mardu Vehicles to casual tournaments."

There's this general idea that somehow the Pro-Tour is the solving of Standard, despite the Pro-Tour painting a much Rosier Picture of Standard then what ensues.

SCG's generally nailed the broad strokes(except for one or two times recently I can't recall) I mean, Remember that GB Season's Past deck that came up at the Pro-Tour and then died? The Pro-Tour is arguably much more inbred of a tournament then SCG's Tours because of the nature.

SaffronOlive ran a story on this that showed that SCG Week One is generally not a great indicator of long term standard results.

SaffronOlive ran a story on this that showed that SCG Week One is generally not a great indicator of long term standard results.

Yeah: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/do-week-one-results-actually-matter

The thesis seems to be that week one can typically find decks that are good in the environment but is rarely comprehensive unless the metagame winds up extremely flat, which certainly checks out to me: you'd expect all the B-brews to be in shape for a one-off like that, while anyone who finds any obscure tech is gonna sit on it.

I've just read the story and not only is his sample size barely existent and inconsistent and his data can be read both ways.
PBKASO said:
content_meta-chart__6_.jpeg
This chart compares favourly w/ the PT one if you're starting to look with at it w/ BFZ, I started watching Pts w/ Origins so that's pretty close to it.

He really should have looked at something like the top 32 as the PT is influenced by draft. Only could have favoured his interpretation.

noquarter

Awesome, P9 always looks beautiful in the display cases, but I could never justify it myself. How much was the Ruby btw? I imagine your trade in stack must have been pretty tall by the end.
$799. Really didnt have to teade as much as i thought I would. Had quite a few $20+ cards that they gave $25 credit for. About half of ut was stuff that I have had for a couple years thinking I might put it in an EDH deck or build a deck around it and just didn't finish with.

And the Ruby will be getting played in the cube. Will play with them all, want my friends to have a chance to play with the cards and would like to replace all the proxies that are in there.

Not a big fan of Epic from the design perspective. It's one of those mechanics that either gets broken wide open or just isn't worth playing, and most good design happens in the middle ground.

Not a big fan of Epic from the design perspective. It's one of those mechanics that either gets broken wide open or just isn't worth playing, and most good design happens in the middle ground.
I like them for EDH, the idea of casting such a powerful spell you won't be able to cast any other is appealing.

Otherwise makes his heroic epic

-10:"You get an emblem with "You can't cast spells. 0: Search your exile, graveyard, hand and library for a Nicol Bolas planeswalker card and put it into play, shuffle your library, you may only use this ability once per turn and only any time you could play a sorcery". Take an extra turn."

Tunoku

Decided to pull the trigger and go to my first GP next month. Super hyped for the whole experience, but really don't give a show it how I do. I do, however, want to play in the main event; and it's not like I'm gonna make day 2, so that gives me plenty of time for side events.

Good luck today, Ash!

Daedardus

The meta already adjusted. We have the most diverse tier 1 in modern than we have had in ages. There is control (UW control), combo (dredge, storm), midrange (shadow decks) ramp (valakut, 50 shades of tron), aggro (burn, affinity). Why would you want a ban based on how healthy this is....

I didn't say I wanted a ban. I'm just saying that I don't really like the Eldrazi Torn deck because it's obnoxious to play against. The cards are hard to interact with and coupled with the insane mana ramp makes me wonder if Wizards thought this all through. It's not too dominant of a deck yet and it can be beaten, it's just not fun. I had the same opinion about Infect, where the deck is fine to exist, but I rather not play against it.

Based on this post I can tell that you haven't played competitive magic that frequently. At the highest level there is normall LESS than this that's viable. For the past few years the format has had like 3-5 decks that are tier 1 with NO control deck being tier one for a consistent basis. (Grixis isn't consistent) This is as good as it gets since wizards doesn't print powerful answers often anymore. No use in complaining about it when that's how they print cards these days. Plus there is nothing that's on the ban list that helps. Jace homogenizes fair decks, stoneforge slides into abzan and makes it better, and preordain makes storm better. The only argument for a card to help blue is dig through time and that card carries more baggage than Jace does. The format is fine how it is right now and bans to death shadow just make the format worse. If shadow is banned then all the tron decks/unfair decks get way better and push the other fair decks minus abzan out. UW control is there to prey on shadow. Also what are you talking about? UW is tier 1 because of ancestral being legal. Hell there are two builds floating around right now: the as foretold build and the Gideon of the trails build. The powerful control decks are good in different metas. Jeskai is good when small creatures are good, UW is good when ramp/big creatures/midrange is good and grixis is good when control needs a slightly faster way to close out. The format is fine just not for you.

Jeskai Control did pretty great the past year and pulled some bigger results than UW Control is doing now. But we'll have to see how UW will settle in the meta. I'm mostly a control player and it is a bit hard to get a footing in the meta, but I guess Wizards is just too afraid of letting control becoming a dominant deck again.

Repgnar

Decided to pull the trigger and go to my first GP next month. Super hyped for the whole experience, but really don't give a show it how I do. I do, however, want to play in the main event; and it's not like I'm gonna make day 2, so that gives me plenty of time for side events.

Good luck today, Ash!

Which one are you looking at? I plan in going to the Omaha one next month to check it out and play in the side events mostly.

Got to play an amonkhet draft with some friends in a pretty casual setting yesterday. Ended up having a lot of minotaurs including Neheb passed to me and did pretty well. Got him in hand just about every game and only lost once.

Tunoku

Which one are you looking at? I plan in going to the Omaha one next month to check it out and play in the side events mostly.

Got to play an amonkhet draft with some friends in a pretty casual setting yesterday. Ended up having a lot of minotaurs including Neheb passed to me and did pretty well. Got him in hand just about every game and only lost once.

I'm going to GP Amsterdam. Omaha is preeeeeeetty far away from me.

---

Went 3-0-1 at the Standard Showdown today, drawing in the finals. We played out the games for fun and I didn't lose a single game all day.
Played the Temur Marvel deck that won a PTQ recently, with slight alterations. I only have 2 Ulamogs, so I played a Chandra Flamecaller in its stead. I just really missed playing with it and it definitely won me a couple of games. All her abilities are so useful, but it's obviously weak with Vehicles running around. It was such a blowout of a card against BW Zombies tho.
I also played a couple copies of Kozilek's Return in the sideboard to have better game against Zombies and Humans. I don't need to get the full value out of it. It's totally fine to just flash it back with Torrential Gearhulk.

Won 4 Amonkhet boosters and 3 Showdown packs. Opened a foil a Hapatra, some junk, two foil Islands, and a Nahiri. Nahiri definitely saved those three packs for me.

This is the original list btw:
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/631525#online

Tunoku

I think at a recent GP in Asia the top 16 was made up of nothing X-2s. Insane.

Firemind, the Pro Tour is next week so you can always wait and see what sticks. I think Torrential Gearhulk decks are pretty powerful and sweet to play. I like adding the degenerate angle with Marvel to it. There's also a solid BR aggro running around that has actual reach for once with Hazoret and Cut to Ribbons. I could also see some Alchemist deck being viable, either BR or UR. Tower decks are bad, don't play them. These are just suggestions based on what you might enjoy playing.

Tunoku

I would like to see someone try jam a turn 3 Fevered Visions against a Heart of Kiran deck. They would be proud. And they would be lose. Badly.

Yeah must be low attendance because over here it's at least X-2 for day two.
Really? I could have sworn Wizards made it uniform so all X-3s were locked for Day 2 at 18 Points, while Top 8 is merely the best.

There was one GP recently where there was a 12-3 in the top 8 and a 12-3 who was out of Prize support because of how big the event was.

Tunoku

Yeah, the day 2 cutoff is 6-3 these days. Maybe Firemind meant the cut to Top 8?

So, I opened a foil Hapatra from one of my Showdown packs today. Since I talked about building a Commander deck around her before, I feel like I'm destined to so now. First card that comes to mind is obviously Contagion Engine, but I wanna look into other great enablers that ideally don't cost a lot of money.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yeah, the day 2 cutoff is 6-3 these days. Maybe Firemind meant the cut to Top 8?

So, I opened a foil Hapatra from one of my Showdown packs today. Since I talked about building a Commander deck around her before, I feel like I'm destined to so now. First card that comes to mind is obviously Contagion Engine, but I wanna look into other great enablers that ideally don't cost a lot of money.
Black Sun Zenith comes to mind as a fine card

Tunoku

Black Sun Zenith comes to mind as a fine card

This new Liliana tutor from the intro pack is randomly good in Hapatra as well:

Image.ashx

Not sure if I want to play that shitty 7 mana walker though.

EDIT: Going through edhrec, and seeing Vraska for the first time. She's so cool! That ultimate is just badass.

TheFlow

Banned
I have always played the video game of this and loved it but lurking this thread makes me want pick up a deck and go to one of my citie events.

Anybody has any good stories of playing at local events or tournaments?

Also do I need to have the latest cards to play in tournies or can o use cards from a couple years ago like yugioh

I have always played the video game of this and loved it but lurking this thread makes me want pick up a deck and go to one of my citie events.

Anybody has any good stories of playing at local events or tournaments?

Also do I need to have the latest cards to play in tournies or can o use cards from a couple years ago like yugioh

There are different formats to play in.
* Legacy and Vintage allow all cards (but with different ban lists with different focuses), but they are expensive as hell to get into.
* Modern allows all cards from 8th Edition on (the point where they shifted to the modern card frame) with a ban list. It's less expensive than the above, but still decently so.
* Standard is a rotating format that includes the past two years of sets, rotating every fall to dump out one year of sets.
* In Sealed and Draft, you don't bring your own cards, but instead make decks out of the cards provided. In the former, you are given a bunch of booster packs and you make a deck out of those. In the latter, you sit at a table and pass around booster packs, drafting cards from it to include in your deck.

And of course, there's casual, where anything goes.

TheFlow

Banned
There are different formats to play in.
* Legacy and Vintage allow all cards (but with different ban lists with different focuses), but they are expensive as hell to get into.
* Modern allows all cards from 8th Edition on (the point where they shifted to the modern card frame) with a ban list. It's less expensive than the above, but still decently so.
* Standard is a rotating format that includes the past two years of sets, rotating every fall to dump out one year of sets.
* In Sealed and Draft, you don't bring your own cards, but instead make decks out of the cards provided. In the former, you are given a bunch of booster packs and you make a deck out of those. In the latter, you sit at a table and pass around booster packs, drafting cards from it to include in your deck.

And of course, there's casual, where anything goes.
standard it is

TheFlow

Banned
Competitive deck prices fyi:

Vintage: $15,000+
Legacy: $2,000-3,000
Modern: $700-1500
Standard: ~$200

But you can make a fun deck for way less and just play with your friends :).
Damn that is pricey but I plan to play for fun/collect. I love the card art

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Damn that is pricey but I plan to play for fun/collect. I love the card art

There are lots of competitive Commander decks that are extremely cheap actually.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mikaeus-extreme-sub-20-budget-edh/

Basically in Commander, you have a Legendary creature card that is your "general" that you can cast from outside the game, as well as a deck made of 99 cards that share your general's colours.

Because there's no right-wrong answers for card selection the way there is in modern or standard, decks end up changing quite a bit over time, and because you play with a 100 card deck you are much less likely to play the exact same game twice, unlike standard and modern where the goal (if you're lucky) is to play the exact same game over and over again.

Odds are if you played MTG in the past you will have enough cards to make a commander deck that can win at least some of the time.

Supast4r

I didn't say I wanted a ban. I'm just saying that I don't really like the Eldrazi Torn deck because it's obnoxious to play against. The cards are hard to interact with and coupled with the insane mana ramp makes me wonder if Wizards thought this all through. It's not too dominant of a deck yet and it can be beaten, it's just not fun. I had the same opinion about Infect, where the deck is fine to exist, but I rather not play against it.

Jeskai Control did pretty great the past year and pulled some bigger results than UW Control is doing now. But we'll have to see how UW will settle in the meta. I'm mostly a control player and it is a bit hard to get a footing in the meta, but I guess Wizards is just too afraid of letting control becoming a dominant deck again.
Most big mana/combo decks aren't fun to play against but that's what you sign up for when you play modern. How is wizards afraid of letting control be too dominant if they unbanned two control cards? (Sword/AV) They are afraid of Jace/Dig/Mystic due to the power level of he cards and not because of control being too good. Control always has a deck in the tier 1-2 that's viable. It's more of an issue of wizards not printing good answers and printing busted threats. It should say something that fatal push is the best removal that modern has gotten since the format began.

kirblar

They're not afraid of Control whatsoever.

People also don't understand that Tempo decks fill the same police force role that Control decks do.

TheFlow

Banned
There are lots of competitive Commander decks that are extremely cheap actually.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mikaeus-extreme-sub-20-budget-edh/

Basically in Commander, you have a Legendary creature card that is your "general" that you can cast from outside the game, as well as a deck made of 99 cards that share your general's colours.

Because there's no right-wrong answers for card selection the way there is in modern or standard, decks end up changing quite a bit over time, and because you play with a 100 card deck you are much less likely to play the exact same game twice, unlike standard and modern where the goal (if you're lucky) is to play the exact same game over and over again.

Odds are if you played MTG in the past you will have enough cards to make a commander deck that can win at least some of the time.
Sounds good. I am going to buy some cards this week guys and post back. i am ready to get into this again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom