• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maledict

If you use a untap ability on an exerted creature the exert token stays on correct? Can it exert again if there is an extra combat round like with combat celebrant? It seems like if you use an ability that untaps it but dont attack then it would come off but if you attack again then it stays on.

Exert doesn't put a token on the creature. It puts a condition on it that says it can't untap next untap phase, but that's it - there's no token. If you untap a creature with exert after it has attacked the exert does nothing. If you untap, then have a second attack phase, the exert condition form the first attack is still on the creature - so you may as well exert again (as two exerts don't stack).

OnPoint

If you use a untap ability on an exerted creature the exert token stays on correct? Can it exert again if there is an extra combat round like with combat celebrant? It seems like if you use an ability that untaps it but dont attack then it would come off but if you attack again then it stays on.

I believe that so long as the creature is untapped and attacking, it can be Exerted again. Which is why Always Watching works so well with Exert creatures.

alternade

You know what sucks? Moving to be close to your job but now being 30-45 minutes away from the nearest shop that all your friends go to :(

Sorry, when I said token I meant the "exerted" flag from the punch out sheet, and thanks for the clarification.

Most exert cards don't have a limiting condition. Combat Celebrant specifically says "If this card hasn't been exerted this turn...", though, specifically to keep it from generating infinite attack phases when paired with Initiate's Companion.

It's still a nice pair with Hooded Brawlers or the like, though, since it gives them multiple exerted swings and that's usually worth the fact you're going to be (most likely) losing it.

just realized that there are more shops than i thought located near me (south sf bay area)

looks like i can draft pretty much every day (sometimes twice) without driving more than 5 miles

rip my wallet

also got this thing to hold some cards:
1-BX-5000_1_5000-COUNT-STORAGE-BOX-(FULL-LID).jpg

Daedardus

Torrential gearhulk really on the rise due to the Pro Tour. Wondering if it can go even higher if it puts up good results. A shame because I wanted to pick one up for my deck, but near the Pro Tour is never a good time to pick up cards in the respective format. It will come down after a while I guess.

Tunoku

Torrential gearhulk really on the rise due to the Pro Tour. Wondering if it can go even higher if it puts up good results. A shame because I wanted to pick one up for my deck, but near the Pro Tour is never a good time to pick up cards in the respective format. It will come down after a while I guess.

Foils seem to be going for the same price as the regular version right now.

EDIT: Oh fuck, cards I want for Hapatra are beginning to spike. I should pull the trigger on some of these soon.

Ashodin

I'm wondering what the best answer to Torrential is in white. Cast Out? Forsake the Worldly? Skywhaler's Shot?

Gideon's Intervention?

Oh that was just spitballing before you even mentioned it. More and more Commit is being played so it's not like there are no answers.

The exile spell is probably the best answer for 2. Which should be played more right now anyways because of Zombies, Declaration in Stone.

Violet_0

Banned
Yeah, I'd pick Croc over Champ any day of the week. Totally the right call there. Every time I've seen Champion of Rhonas in limited it's either a) died before it got to do anything, or b) cheated one creature into play but died in the process, and unless you're able to consistently cheat in some big monster like Greater Sandwurm you're usually trading your 3/3 with no abilities for something that's not much bigger if at all.

Meanwhile, Crocodile of the Crossing is ALREADY a creature you want to cheat in with Champ, so why not just play that instead?

play him with Rhonas's Monument

very likely the most playable monument, maybe tied with the white one. That stupid thing is far better than one would think

I'm considering going 4c control to include Dec in Stone as 4c is almost the same as grixis because of fastlands.

For 2 mana you can kill all tokens of which there are a ton in zombies and any dread wanderers from coming back. Torrential Gearhulk decks have very few win conditions right now and are often relying on dispels post board. The decks want to trade 1 for 1 until they get to Gearhulk mana, hitting 2 Gearhulk at once is prob gg.

Tunoku

Welp, it happened again. I just wanted to buy a couple of cards and it ended up being 28. I still haven't fully formed a decklist for my Hapatra deck, but I'm getting there. I want to have a functioning deck while spending less than 50€, and I'm at 20 now. I ordered Vhati Il-Dal, which seems really sweet with -1/-1 counters. And a Japanese Apocalypse Arena because why not.

Ashodin

Welp, it happened again. I just wanted to buy a couple of cards and it ended up being 28. I still haven't fully formed a decklist for my Hapatra deck, but I'm getting there. I want to have a functioning deck while spending less than 50€, and I'm at 20 now. I ordered Vhati Il-Dal, which seems really sweet with -1/-1 counters. And a Japanese Apocalypse Arena because why not.

145.jpg

baby you got a stew cookin'

Wichu

This was me yesterday. I ordered about £150 of cards a week ago - it turns out that one of the sellers I ordered from got burgled and was missing ~£2 of the cards I needed, so I went to re-order those cards from someone else.

Ended up spending another £200 :S

£2 on the cards I originally wanted, £70 on a foil Cavern of Souls, £24 on a foil Thundermaw Hellkite, £30 on upgrading my foil full-art BFZ lands to foil full-art Amonkhet lands, £60ish to finish up my Demon tribal deck, and the rest on some upgrades for Sidar Kondo.

What can I say? Nicol Bolas needs his shiny trinkets.

Daedardus

I have these periods too. Haven't ordered cards since August, but last week I was like, 'Oh boy, Amonkhet got me all excited again', bought a bundle, ordered €150 of cards and then, 'hmm, better expand my deck even more' and another €100 plunged. But I'm OK now till the summer.

Lucario

my opponent on MTGO just managed to block a menace creature by blocking it with the same Trueheart Duelist twice

the client started playing a loud "ding" noise repeatedly, while trying to get me to decide which order the single blocker should be dealt damage in.

I timed out because it wouldn't let me press "OK", lmao

edit: Wait, what the fuck kind of resolution is "you can replay the match"? My opponent was at 10 on turn 3 in sealed; I had the win. Hasn't this always been a tournament entry refund? Why should a near-guaranteed win get nullified because of how fucking broken MTGO is?

bigkrev

my opponent on MTGO just managed to block a menace creature by blocking it with the same Trueheart Duelist twice

the client started playing a loud "ding" noise repeatedly, while trying to get me to decide which order the single blocker should be dealt damage in.

I timed out because it wouldn't let me press "OK", lmao

edit: Wait, what the fuck kind of resolution is "you can replay the match"? My opponent was at 10 on turn 3 in sealed; I had the win. Hasn't this always been a tournament entry refund? Why should a near-guaranteed win get nullified because of how fucking broken MTGO is?

File for compensation. You will get a refund

Lucario

File for compensation. You will get a refund

I did; they told me I could just replay it, which is apparently the new policy - it was offered to me earlier for a league issue that was partially my fault, so I wasn't too pissed.

This, though? Fuck this.

bigkrev

I did; they told me I could just replay it, which is apparently the new policy - it was offered to me earlier for a league issue that was partially my fault, so I wasn't too pissed.

This, though? Fuck this.

To be fair, you put money into Magic Online which has been a tire fire for 15 years now

DrArchon

play him with Rhonas's Monument

very likely the most playable monument, maybe tied with the white one. That stupid thing is far better than one would think

Funny enough, I almost never see monuments in limited. None in sealed and none in draft. I was just unlucky with sealed, but for draft I'd imagine people are valuing them pretty highly, for whatever reason.

Hazoret's is also pretty cool from what I've seen. Especially in late-game when you're land flooded and just need whatever filtering you can get. Kefnet's is only good against the right kind of decks, and in a stalled board state (which was pretty common from what I saw) it doesn't do anything, and Bontu's is just awful on every level. What the hell were that thinking with that one?

In terms of rankings I'd go Oketra > Rhonas > Hazoret > Kefnet >>>>>>>>>>> Bontu.

I kind of love it when Magic trips over itself like this.

http://magicjudge.tumblr.com/post/160487215239/weird-card-interaction-alert-kalitas-anointed

Some additional hilarious interactions from the comments on Reddit. If you have Kalitas and Anointed Procession on the battlefield, and you kill an opponent's creature with different spells, you get different results:

• Fatal Push gives you two zombies.
  • Grasp of Darkness gives you one zombie.
  • Killing an artifact creature with K-Command's "destroy target artifact mode" gives you two zombies.
  • Killing an artifact creature with K-Command's "deal two damage" mode gives you one zombie.

Bandini

This, though? Fuck this.

They tried to pull something similar with me about a month ago. Sent a second message saying I wasn't satisfied and this was bad customer service, they gave me a full refund.

Funny enough, I almost never see monuments in limited. None in sealed and none in draft. I was just unlucky with sealed, but for draft I'd imagine people are valuing them pretty highly, for whatever reason.

Hazoret's is also pretty cool from what I've seen. Especially in late-game when you're land flooded and just need whatever filtering you can get. Kefnet's is only good against the right kind of decks, and in a stalled board state (which was pretty common from what I saw) it doesn't do anything, and Bontu's is just awful on every level. What the hell were that thinking with that one?

In terms of rankings I'd go Oketra > Rhonas > Hazoret > Kefnet >>>>>>>>>>> Bontu.

The problem is they do nothing the turn they come into play, so late game when you're most likely in topdeck mode to begin with (since Limited decks are designed to curve out early by and large) they hit the board and then you're stuck praying that the next card you topdeck is a creature so that they actually do something.

They can be good if you get them out on-curve, but it's a not-insignificant risk most people are (probably correctly) looking to avoid. Maybe if they had cycling on them they could have been a big deal.

DrArchon

The problem is they do nothing the turn they come into play, so late game when you're most likely in topdeck mode to begin with (since Limited decks are designed to curve out early by and large) they hit the board and then you're stuck praying that the next card you topdeck is a creature so that they actually do something.

They can be good if you get them out on-curve, but it's a not-insignificant risk most people are (probably correctly) looking to avoid. Maybe if they had cycling on them they could have been a big deal.

Yeah, that's true. Cycling would've helped make them more appealing as top-deck cards, but they're already pretty wordy in their text boxes so I can see why they left that off. They're already pushed about as far as I think they should be for limited, given that even though each one focuses on a color they trigger with off-color creatures and are colorless themselves.

If I was playing more of a mid-rangey draft deck I wouldn't be too miffed to include a decent monument though. Sure it would suck to top deck one late game, but the chance of getting that thing early on to basically ramp in one color and get some bonus for playing creatures is enough for me to give one or two of them a chance.

Magic Story - Trespass
* This is a flashback to before the Gatewatch came to Amonkhet, about Samut, Djeru, and an aven named Nakht as children.
* It is time for their Harvest, when they turn 12 and thus become adults.
* At night, the three sneak out past their mummy caretakers. They talk, and they learn from Nakht that he discovered he can use water magic. Thus, he will receive additional training separate from them.
* Samut shows them to a place she discovered, with old buildings and hieroglyphics they don't recognize. She wonders if there was a time before the God-Pharaoh, but Djeru dismisses this.
* Since the other two shared secrets, they ask Djeru to too. He shows them a small hole in the Hekma barrier. Nakht wants to go outside, but Djeru doesn't want to. Nakht wants to see for himself if what the gods say about the outside is true. They all go outside.
* Though it is "night", the one sun in the sky keeps them sweating. They walk for an hour without encountering monsters, and they reach ruins.
* They see a Grim Strider in the distance and hide from it.
* They find ruins depicting Bolas, but with the word "trespasser" scratched in.
* A flood of zombies attacks them. Nakht holds them off, but then the Grim Strider kills him. The others escape.
* As time went on, this experience hardened Djeru's devotion, while Samut continued visiting the old ruins in the city.
* One day, Samut goes into a forbidden hall under Bontu's Monument, where she finds an image of Bolas that also used the word "trespasser". She realizes that he's the one who caused all the destruction.

red13th

Magic Story - Trespass
* This is a flashback to before the Gatewatch came to Amonkhet, about Samut, Djeru, and an aven named Nakht as children.
* It is time for their Harvest, when they turn 12 and thus become adults.
* At night, the three sneak out past their mummy caretakers. They talk, and they learn from Nakht that he discovered he can use water magic. Thus, he will receive additional training separate from them.
* Samut shows them to a place she discovered, with old buildings and hieroglyphics they don't recognize. She wonders if there was a time before the God-Pharaoh, but Djeru dismisses this.
* Since the other two shared secrets, they ask Djeru to too. He shows them a small hole in the Hekma barrier. Nakht wants to go outside, but Djeru doesn't want to. Nakht wants to see for himself if what the gods say about the outside is true. They all go outside.
* Though it is "night", the one sun in the sky keeps them sweating. They walk for an hour without encountering monsters, and they reach ruins.
* They see a Grim Strider in the distance and hide from it.
* They find ruins depicting Bolas, but with the word "trespasser" scratched in.
* A flood of zombies attacks them. Nakht holds them off, but then the Grim Strider kills him. The others escape.
* As time went on, this experience hardened Djeru's devotion, while Samut continued visiting the old ruins in the city.
* One day, Samut goes into a forbidden hall under Bontu's Monument, where she finds an image of Bolas that also used the word "trespasser". She realizes that he's the one who caused all the destruction.

this seems pretty cool actually

BLCKATK

So a local game store near my place is having draft for their FNM on friday. I was thinking of going, it will be my first draft. Any advice for a first timer?

Ashodin

From reddit

This story may reflect a vision from "The Hand that Moves." It was assumed that it talked about the old gods. It still might, but it summarized the last part of today's story:

Code:
Farther away, three young children stopped before a barrier. 
The beautiful city on one side, the stark emptiness of the desert on the other. 
They're whispering to each other. 
They look around, look at each other. Uncertain. A child presses through. 
The two others follow. 
All three are swallowed by the hungry sands.

Samut presumably left Bontu's monument and caused the ruckus that the Gatewatch witnessed.

The Grim Strider had some strange powers. Is it an old god? Maybe. You'd figure a plane with a powerful demon would have some strangely powerful beings that aren't deities.

y2dvd

So a local game store near my place is having draft for their FNM on friday. I was thinking of going, it will be my first draft. Any advice for a first timer?

Usually take the rares if you care about value. Removals are high picks. Try to stick to 2 colors, but stay open in the first pack. Follow that one acrynom. What was it again?

Samut sparking is going to be the Doomsayer moment of HoD. "The end is coming!" :Bolas returns: "IKnew it!:

Usually take the rares if you care about value. Removals are high picks. Try to stick to 2 colors, but stay open in the first pack. Follow that one acrynom. What was it again?
Bread

Bombs, Removal, Evasion, Alright, Duds.

Amonkhet is really weird(of recent formats) in that one of the best sealed Cards hits all the of the first three.

Other general advice for Amonkhet:

You can generally run 16 land with the number of cycling cards we have right now, so don't be afraid to go below 16. Cycling also makes it so you can Maindeck a few of the less good cards if you can't fit anything else in because they all draw at the worst. For this reason, I'd probably put Cast Out as one of the best removal cards in the format.

DrArchon

Unless your rares are complete garbage or you can't even think about splashing for them, it's usually best to pick them first if you're unsure about how to build your deck. You should also look to grab any removal you can, though in this set standard "Destroy target creature" cards aren't quite as good as they normally are with Embalm creatures being a thing.

Speaking of embalm, don't undervalue Embalm and Aftermath cards even if the costs for activating them in the graveyard are really expensive. There will be a point where both you and your opponent have no cards in your hands and are just playing whatever you draw off the top of your library, and having the option of casting cards that aren't in your hand is very helpful.

OnPoint

I do find it interesting that Samut is likely going to spark and be a Naya 'walker, and directly oppose Bolas where as they could have just had Ajani be Naya and oppose Bolas already. I get that he's GW now, but I thought they were trying to cut back on the amount of new planeswalkers they were running out there is all.

Ajani's not dying anytime soon. If/when he dies, he'll die after saving Elspeth.

I mean, if they really wanted to go Greek Tragedy
They could have Ajani's Death at the hands of a Returned Elspeth
though I'm not sure they'll want to repeat that theme.

Granted, I can't see how we go back to Alara(which Meren/Kaalia/Breya/etc all seem to Hint at) without Elspeth/Ajani/Tezz, so I doubt Ajani is dying before then.

I do find it interesting that Samut is likely going to spark and be a Naya 'walker, and directly oppose Bolas where as they could have just had Ajani be Naya and oppose Bolas already. I get that he's GW now, but I thought they were trying to cut back on the amount of new planeswalkers they were running out there is all.
Iirc Ajani has never been Naya allign. Yeah, he was raised there, but his Red Streak was his anger at Bolas over the death of his brother. It's been mentioned by Wizards that he's mellowed out.

A Naya Ajani would have gone with the Gatewatch to Amonkhet and would be completely against his development, since he's been taming his Red(and arguably helping others tame it). In other words, Ajani is the best chance of curing Nahiri's madness that she left Innistrad under.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom