• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did Liliana the Last Hope spike recently? She's seeing barely any play in standard and hasn't picked up much in modern since I last checked.

I i knew I should have gotten one a couple weeks back.

traveler

Not Wario
Eldritch Moon is the least opened set in recent memory + she's seeing play in Modern, particularly the currently dominant Death's Shadow strategies.

Do you have to discard cards down to 7 in your hand in standard, or is that just for draft?

If so, say you play Pull From Tomorrow, draw X cards to take your total to 9 or 10, and you have Drake Haven in play, do the 2 or 3 cards you have to discard activate the ability on Drake Haven which triggers the 2/2 Flying Drake token?

ultron87

Do you have to discard cards down to 7 in your hand in standard, or is that just for draft?

If so, say you play Pull From Tomorrow, draw X cards to take your total to 9 or 10, and you have Drake Haven in play, do the 2 or 3 cards you have to discard activate the ability on Drake Haven which triggers the 2/2 Flying Drake token?

The rules are the same in all normal formats, limited or constructed, so the max hand size is always 7. Just remember you only discard down to 7 after the end step of your turn.

And yeah, discard due to hand size at end of turn will let you trigger Drake Haven.

The rules are the same in all normal formats, limited or constructed, so the max hand size is always 7. Just remember you only discard down to 7 after the end step of your turn.

And yeah, discard due to hand size at end of turn will let you trigger Drake Haven.

Cool thanks for answering. Also, can I play 2 Drake Havens, and if I do, would i get double the tokens? As in one each card would trigger 1 token.

Cool thanks for answering. Also, can I play 2 Drake Havens, and if I do, would i get double the tokens? As in one each card would trigger 1 token.

Each Drake Haven would give you a token, but you have to pay (1) for each.

EDIT: Somehow I didn't notice until now that the Amonkhet perforated cards have a back.

Eldritch Moon is the least opened set in recent memory + she's seeing play in Modern, particularly the currently dominant Death's Shadow strategies.

that's the reason her price got this high in the first place but it further spiked recently for no discernible reason but apparently being in the side of Gerry's deck.

traveler

Not Wario
The entire wheel should be Mogs and bankrupt.

One of the most frustrating things about Marvel is that it ISN'T this. Even misses tend to put them halfway to the next spin + a random body on board and/or card in hand. All the while they continue to draw and play the game as normal. It doesn't feel like it requires resources outside the initial 4 mana at all.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
lmao at PV's post-tournament video where he admits they met for a bunch of weeks before the PT and couldn't find anything so they copied an MTGO Aetherworks list.

Ashodin

lmao at PV's post-tournament video where he admits they met for a bunch of weeks before the PT and couldn't find anything so they copied an MTGO Aetherworks list.

I mean standard was wild af. The format still hadn't really shook out by the PT, so the clear choice by everyone was to hate out Mardu Vehicles.

Outside of Hearthstone Marvel, the format feels REALLY open right now. The latest bannings were a godsend.

To any lurker in the thread, it is an absolute perfect time to get into standard.

turn 4 Ulamog still isn't ideal but it's pretty good ignoring that.

Also they hadn't found anything better than mardu or marvel per PVDDR.

Cheon convinced me to switch to UR over Grixis for Gameday. There are actually no creatures being run that make murder better than harnessed lightning meaning black doesn't add much,

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean standard was wild af. The format still hadn't really shook out by the PT, so the clear choice by everyone was to hate out Mardu Vehicles.

Outside of Hearthstone Marvel, the format feels REALLY open right now. The latest bannings were a godsend.

To any lurker in the thread, it is an absolute perfect time to get into standard.
I'm taking Hazoret/Rhonas discard to Game Day. I still have a bunch of flex spots I'm not happy with, though. Lambholt Pacifist never felt all that strong. Lupine Prototype is technically good there but I hate having a 2 drop that does literal nothing until your endgame.

DrArchon

Meanwhile, new Liliana and blue Nissa are tanking. Thanks, Wizards.

Even new Gideon dropped something like 6 bucks since I last checked. I should've sold my pair when I had the chance.

I guess the alternative is printing planeswalkers that completely warp standard around them like Gideon AoZ, so I'll take underwhelming walkers over overwhelming ones.

Violet_0

Banned
at least new Liliana is good, but needs the right deck that does not exist yet. Blue Nissa on the other hand feels awful right now

DrArchon

at least new Liliana is good, but needs the right deck that does not exist yet. Blue Nissa on the other hand feels awful right now

Liliana at least shows up in Sultai Marvel. I have zero idea what deck wants Nissa. A deck with enough cheap creatures to repeatedly hit off the top with her? Or a ramp deck that can give her a ton of loyalty for easy ults? I'd have thought she might see play in some out there Marvel decks so she could scry chaff out of the way before spinning the wheel, but she just doesn't impact the board enough to justify her inclusion.

Tunoku

I think she sees some play in the 4 color midrange value lists that are basically 4 color Saheeli but without the combo. She's not ideal though.

Well the EV of the set appears quite bad already. Opening a box was a likely net loss before the bannings and the PT had barely any amonkhet cards in it.

That does reduce my desire to draft quite a bit considering even if I do good I'm unlikely to recoup anything.

Angry Grimace

I got a Wrath O' God in mine. Wasn't' too bad for value, but I probably would not open another one.

I mostly just blew all my Ulamog trade-in credit to get a box for sealed and my friend convinced me to open all the packs at once because WHEEEE LOTTERY

ajf009

I've pretty much only opened boosters to draft with for the last 5+ sets. Its the only way I know I'll get my value from the packs

i have an inkling there's going to be some cool G & U cards come Hour, I want to see a Bounty of the Luxa/Nissa deck win

DrArchon

I have no idea why Nissa is restricted to creatures. If she'd put permanents onto the battlefield I'd instantly slot her into a bunch of EDH decks.

All she really needs is to let you put the card into your hand if you can't put it onto the battlefield. It'd probably have to be a -1 or -2 instead of a +0, but she'd certainly not be any worse off than she is now.

Angry Grimace

If she put permanents on the battlefield she'd be overpowered

Angry Grimace

Aetherworks Marvel probably isn't bannable but its one of the most outrageously un-fun cards in a long time, which says a lot given we have 4 banned cards in Standard right now. I would be surprised if Marvel stopped being a deck.

Hitting any two of card, mana and speed advantage is pretty ridiculous, but Marvel provides all three at a stupidly low cost because WOTC's developers weren't smart enough to notice all of the energy producers they were making around Marvel were simply too good. In a world where 6 energy gives you a repreatable spin of the Marvel, a 3 mana 3/2 with draw a card and 3E is just so far beyond what it should be. The problem isn't even energy itself though, it's Marvel. Everything else that uses Energy is tuned around the real-life play conditions and how much energy you can get, e.g. Harnessed Lightning. It's just that Aetherworks Marvel is priced far too aggressively without any meaningful restrictions, presumably because they're either too dumb to notice how overpowered it is to get a spin of the Marvel or because energy was at one point harder to get.

Violet_0

Banned
Marvel might disappear when Ulamog rotates out. It's difficult to find a suitable replacement for a 10/10 invincible creature that exiles two permanent when cast and also mills 1/3 of your opponents deck on every attack. None of the other cards in standard are anywhere near as exciting as a Marvel target

kirblar

Aetherworks Marvel probably isn't bannable but its one of the most outrageously un-fun cards in a long time, which says a lot given we have 4 banned cards in Standard right now. I would be surprised if Marvel stopped being a deck.

Hitting any two of card, mana and speed advantage is pretty ridiculous, but Marvel provides all three at a stupidly low cost because WOTC's developers weren't smart enough to notice all of the energy producers they were making around Marvel were simply too good. In a world where 6 energy gives you a repreatable spin of the Marvel, a 3 mana 3/2 with draw a card and 3E is just so far beyond what it should be. The problem isn't even energy itself though, it's Marvel. Everything else that uses Energy is tuned around the real-life play conditions and how much energy you can get, e.g. Harnessed Lightning. It's just that Aetherworks Marvel is priced far too aggressively without any meaningful restrictions, presumably because they're either too dumb to notice how overpowered it is to get a spin of the Marvel or because energy was at one point harder to get.
It's simpler than that. Marvel was put into the set late and wasn't tested.
there's a potential 400+ new good hits though.
And having to warp future sets around Marvel is not a good thing.

DrArchon

I'm telling you, there's going to be a Marvel variant based around hitting the new version of Bolas. He'll be stupidly expensive, but I can't see him being less powerful than old Bolas and I'd love to have old Bolas out on turn 4.

Joe Molotov

Aetherworks Marvel should have come into play tapped. It's bullshit that they can throw it down on T4 and short of a counter spell you have no way to stop them from getting spin on the Wheel of Ultamog.

OnPoint

We could play this game all day.

Marvel should have been sacrificed for use.

Marvel should not have allowed for cast triggers.

Marvel should have had a higher cost.

There are a million ways to make this card more fun.

It's just another example of them dropping the ball.

Hopefully the process has been improved going forward.

Angry Grimace

Marvel might disappear when Ulamog rotates out. It's difficult to find a suitable replacement for a 10/10 invincible creature that exiles two permanent when cast and also mills 1/3 of your opponents deck on every attack. None of the other cards in standard are anywhere near as exciting as a Marvel target

They're printing a new Nicol Bolas

It's simpler than that. Marvel was put into the set late and wasn't tested.

And having to warp future sets around Marvel is not a good thing.

I've never seen anything to that effect.

I'm telling you, there's going to be a Marvel variant based around hitting the new version of Bolas. He'll be stupidly expensive, but I can't see him being less powerful than old Bolas and I'd love to have old Bolas out on turn 4.
The only issue I see is that Marvel doesn't generally want Walkers because they're not able to be used at Instant Speed. An Instant Speed Ulamog can kill two things on cast and eat a creature, while an Instant Speed Sweltering Suns can wipe the board. An instant Speed Walker just gets out at Instant speed.

Side note: Gifts Ungiven is so much fun in Modern, I just wish it was more viable as a card. It lets you run all the funky combos. Nothing like Gifts grabbing Gearhulk and Unburial Rites, Flashback Unburial targetting Gearhulk, Gearhulk flashback targetting Gifts.

For all of my bitching about UW not being viable in Modern(and it's still not really), Gifts Tron just feels fun. I kind of want to get around to building UW Dynavolt Tower in Modern with the win condition of Dynavolt+Isochron Sceptre imprinting Dramatic Reversal+Mana Rocks, though I'm 90% certain that's better suited for Commander.

OnPoint

The only issue I see is that Marvel doesn't generally want Walkers because they're not able to be used at Instant Speed. An Instant Speed Ulamog can kill two things on cast and eat a creature, while an Instant Speed Sweltering Suns can wipe the board. An instant Speed Walker just gets out at Instant speed.

Side note: Gifts Ungiven is so much fun in Modern, I just wish it was more viable as a card. It lets you run all the funky combos. Nothing like Gifts grabbing Gearhulk and Unburial Rites, Flashback Unburial targetting Gearhulk, Gearhulk flashback targetting Gifts.

For all of my bitching about UW not being viable in Modern(and it's still not really), Gifts Tron just feels fun. I kind of want to get around to building UW Dynavolt Tower in Modern with the win condition of Dynavolt+Isochron Sceptre imprinting Dramatic Reversal+Mana Rocks, though I'm 90% certain that's better suited for Commander.

I think I just peed a little. Mayhaps it's time to brew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom