• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

Not Wario
No, but it can actually cast it. GDD can't cast never from the gy because of the new split card cmc rules. N2R is considered a 7 cmc spell. (Which is great when flipping it with Sin Prodder. Not so much here though)

Yo, that Mardu Void Winnower deck looks sick as fuck. I hadn't quite realized how much of the premium removal in the format has an even cc, but wow. It's pretty much only Never, Disintegration, and Unmaking in terms of spot removal, right?

I wonder how a Grixis build of that would do, trading in stuff like Linvala, Declaration, and Unmaking for some counter spells to deal with the handful of even-numbered removal spells that can get rid of Winnower? Maybe add in some Torrential Gearhulks for extra spell recursion alongside GDD. That sounds like a really fun build to me, but Lord knows I don't have the cash on hand to make it happen.

I wanted to try both blue and green in some kind of build as well. This deck is 3 days old, so there's no guarantee Mardu is even the best way to do this. I think blue has a lot of appeal from a control standpoint. Might try brewing variants soon.

The initial draw to mardu was Nahiri, all the other exile removal in white, and GDD, who is the all star of the deck.

Maybe Bolas can find a place somehow and then the deck can run Dark Intimations?!?
Too ambitious, I think

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wait so can GDD cast Path with Awaken? the fuck?

No. But the rule change means you can't cast Never at all.

^^^

You kind of have to play Mardu; Liliana and Nahiri are way too individually good to ever want to take either out of the deck. Nahiri is just too versatile.

Ashodin

Ahhh yeah okay, that was the case I thought.

Yeah I can run this list but I have to sub in ever afters and rise from the grave.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You can keep some sketchy as fuck hands with this deck due to cycling and Tormenting Voice/Tormenting Hugs.

It's curious that there's barely any cards played from SOI and BFZ block in UR control. Titi in the side is the most important card but I've played w/o them so far and they aren't quintessential. Don't think the deck will survive rotation because of Fumaroled though.

traveler

Not Wario
Another totally left field and probably not good idea I was entertaining for the control matchup is Whispers of Emrakul. It's pretty easy for this deck to hit delirium quickly, (as soon as turn 3 even) so if you can hymn them on turn 3 or 4, they have to answer it or potentially suffer a huge loss. Also, GDD can flash it back. Hymn to Tourach on a 4/4 menace stick seems ok for 5 mana.

It's probably still too setup reliant and specific to one matchup to be great, but I might try a 1 of.

You can keep some sketchy as fuck hands with this deck due to cycling and Tormenting Voice/Tormenting Hugs.

Yeah, the primary goal with every opener is rummage spell, red source, and 2 lands. If you have that, I'd keep it in the dark against almost any matchup.

Angry Grimace

Another totally left field and probably not good idea I was entertaining for the control matchup is Whispers of Emrakul. It's pretty easy for this deck to hit delirium quickly, (as soon as turn 3 even) so if you can hymn them on turn 3 or 4, they have to answer it or potentially suffer a huge loss. Also, GDD can flash it back. Hymn to Tourach on a 4/4 menace stick seems ok for 5 mana.

It's probably still too setup reliant and specific to one matchup to be great, but I might try a 1 of.

Yeah, the primary goal with every opener is rummage spell, red source, and 2 lands. If you have that, I'd keep it in the dark against almost any matchup.

You can keep land, six spells including Voice/Hugs if you're on the draw and get away with it

Firemind

Haha I literally cannot find four of the same cards. Guess I'm going to play mismatched sets like 3 Alara Magma Spray, 1 Amonkhet; 3 Worldwake Dispel, 1 RtR; 3 Lorwyn Negate, 1 M15. Maybe I should mix full art basics with sixth edition for the lulz.

Angry Grimace

Too bad they didn't save the Tormenting Voice reprint for Hour of Devastatoion so they could finish the cycle and have Sarkhan bothering Nicol Bolas.

traveler

Not Wario
They can print a new one. Discard three, draw four. Hello Dredge!

Going back to Demon of Dark Schemes. Getting the fiend to stick around long to build advantage is too hard.

Angry Grimace

They can print a new one. Discard three, draw four. Hello Dredge!

Going back to Demon of Dark Schemes. Getting the fiend to stick around long to build advantage is too hard.
I liked the Archfiend. It's a 1-of that's a lot more castable than Demon of Dark Schemes and sometimes it just locks your opponent out when you have Nahiri on board or a bunch of cheap cyclers. It's own cycle ability is pretty helpful too.

I like a lot of creatures more than Dark Schemes I think. Even Mindwrack Demon - you're pretty rarely going to eat much if any life to it. Or even Combustible Gearhulk to try and get some reach.

But really? Probably Glorybringer. Great off of a Nahiri ult and just generally great when cast on curve.

Ashodin

So here's tomorrow's Legendrule: Furtive Homunculus!

9X3w3YA.jpg
->
Hw7bRcS.png

traveler

Not Wario
So Glorybringer seemed obvious at the beginning to me too, but then I struggled to think of a situation where I'd prefer it to Noxious Gearhulk. For whatever reason, I've found that people keep a lot of removal in against me, so whatever I rez first usually dies immediately. I like that Gearhulk gets the guaranteed kill and earns me some life. It'd be pretty rare for Glorybringer to do more work than him I feel. I do think glory would be better off Nahiri ult, thats true.

Edit: punished for the demon swap. I haven't had the turn after turn counter experience angry had, but I'm totally missing the ability to cycle the card early. Probably switching back.

Ashodin

So Glorybringer seemed obvious at the beginning to me too, but then I struggled to think of a situation where I'd prefer it to Noxious Gearhulk. For whatever reason, I've found that people keep a lot of removal in against me, so whatever I rez first usually dies immediately. I like that Gearhulk gets the guaranteed kill and earns me some life. It'd be pretty rare for Glorybringer to do more work than him I feel. I do think glory would be better off Nahiri ult, thats true.

Can confirm that a glorybringer off a nahiri ult is satisfying af

(in my RW Vehicles/Exert deck)

Angry Grimace

Edit: punished for the demon swap. I haven't had the turn after turn counter experience angry had, but I'm totally missing the ability to cycle the card early. Probably switching back.
Glorybringer is also a great hardcast, which is what I liked about it. But maybe Avacyn, even.

Yeef

So here's tomorrow's Legendrule: Furtive Homunculus!

9X3w3YA.jpg
->
Hw7bRcS.png
Should be "have skulk" not "gain skulk." As it's worded currently, the granting of skulk is permanent, even if this guy leaves the battlefield.

The second mode is pretty un-fun to play against (and templated wrong; should be "its owner's hand.").

The graverobber title feels out of place. Other than pitching cards to the yard, he doesn't have anything to do with the grave (and even there, it's the opposite of grave robbing).

traveler

Not Wario
What would you replace with glorybringer?

Whats peoples thoughts on my R/W Dwarven Vehicles deck?

yIqoSE9.png

Any glaring ommissions? Cards to put in my sideboard?

Thanks

I'd replace the shocks with sprays. Exiling scroungers and various zombies for good is better than the reach. Also not sure your deck needs puzzleknots. Probably look for more action in their place. Insult // Injury is interesting. I actually thought about running it in mine as a rummageable removal spell, but decided a weak 3 mana searing blaze probably wasn't worth the slot, even if the card would end up being "free". Your deck is better positioned to use the insult side, however, so I'd be interested in hearing how it performs for you.

Angry Grimace

Archfiend. The ideal outcome of Archfiend is killing a guy but Glorybringer almost always kills a guy. Avacyn is an option too but that's one of those cards I wouldn't actually play but would accidentally reveal during sideboarding to make your opponent paranoid.

Archfiend is fun and sometimes gamebreaking but he's often just a dude if you hardcast it on 5 mana.

traveler

Not Wario
Of course I get mana screwed when matched against Gaby. She said she's streaming rihgt now too. Embarassing. Kept a 2 lander and havent seen a land in the top 17 cards since.

Angry Grimace

Of course I get mana screwed when matched against Gaby. She said she's streaming rihgt now too. Embarassing. Kept a 2 lander and havent seen a land in the top 17 cards since.
Sorry. But lol

traveler

Not Wario
How does that even happen. I kept a hand with two lands, reunion, and voice, and didn't see another land period. It's a 23 land deck. Blacklisted clearly.

Well that was a throughly terrible showing. :/

Had to mull into a bunch of lands and nahiri. Couldn't find another piece of removal for the pummeler, got hit for 20 game 2.

Ashodin

How does that even happen. I kept a hand with two lands, reunion, and voice, and didn't see another land period. It's a 23 land deck. Blacklisted clearly.

Well that was a throughly terrible showing. :/

Had to mull into a bunch of lands and nahiri. Couldn't find another piece of removal for the pummeler, got hit for 20 game 2.

mtgo streamer preference

Angry Grimace

I keep wondering if you could fit Kalitas but I never lose to zombies anyways.

I'd replace the shocks with sprays. Exiling scroungers and various zombies for good is better than the reach. Also not sure your deck needs puzzleknots. Probably look for more action in their place. Insult // Injury is interesting. I actually thought about running it in mine as a rummageable removal spell, but decided a weak 3 mana searing blaze probably wasn't worth the slot, even if the card would end up being "free". Your deck is better positioned to use the insult side, however, so I'd be interested in hearing how it performs for you.

I thought the puzzleknots would help with extra energy and life, and the energy would work with Harnessed lightning in case i need to destroy something higher than 3 power.

Ashodin

Should be "have skulk" not "gain skulk." As it's worded currently, the granting of skulk is permanent, even if this guy leaves the battlefield.

The second mode is pretty un-fun to play against (and templated wrong; should be "its owner's hand.").

The graverobber title feels out of place. Other than pitching cards to the yard, he doesn't have anything to do with the grave (and even there, it's the opposite of grave robbing).

All feedback taken into account

adCQ02S.png

Now fits into Innistrad theme

traveler

Not Wario
Oh my god. First time I've seen whispers of emrakul against control. I baited a counterspell with Nahiri, getting me to 4 types on turn 6 on the play, hymn'd him, then cast GDD next turn to hymn him again and prompt a concession on the spot. I even had liliana ready to go with a void in the yard, but, nope, not even necessary.

I thought the puzzleknots would help with extra energy and life, and the energy would work with Harnessed lightning in case i need to destroy something higher than 3 power.

While puzzleknots do help provide that, using a card slot on them is typically only valuable in the most energy dependent decks. (basically just marvel) Harnessed lightning is a fine removal spell on its own, but if you're concerned about taking down larger threats, you could try a split of lightnings with stasis snares/declaration in stones/other removal.

Angry Grimace

Random that SaffronOlive played a GW tokens deck for Muraganda Petroglyphs when it makes no sense to play a white tokens deck and not Intangible Virtue / Spectral Procession.

Angry Grimace

Man, Emrakul was a hilariously dumb card now that I think about it.

Angry Grimace

Intangible Virtue and Spectral Procession are both nonbos with Petroglyphs though.
The point being why would you ever play Petroglyphs? It doesn't feel like an interesting choice to go for tokens when Virtue is just a better card for the strategy. He should have made it a Goyf deck with Collected Company or something.

Yeef

The point being why would you ever play Petroglyphs? It doesn't feel like an interesting choice to go for tokens when Virtue is just a better card for the strategy. He should have made it a Goyf deck with Collected Company or something.
It was a poll about which card to build around next and petroglyphs won.

Angry Grimace

It was a poll about which card to build around next and petroglyphs won.
That's what I said:

"It doesn't feel like an interesting choice to go for tokens when Virtue is just a better card for the strategy. He should have made it a Goyf deck with Collected Company or something."

Angry Grimace

I'm not saying it's the next big thing but it's a total riot to play. You just see so many cards so anything cool in your deck you get to play regularly and most of the cards have really fun abilities like Goblin Dark-Dwellers.

traveler

Not Wario
Yeah, after playing it through more leagues, I think my run yesterday was exceptionally strong and not necessarily the normal standard. I still feel favored vs marvel though not overwhelmingly so.

The real takeaway, though, is just that this deck is more fun to play than anything else I've tried in this standard.

Yeef

That's what I said:

"It doesn't feel like an interesting choice to go for tokens when Virtue is just a better card for the strategy. He should have made it a Goyf deck with Collected Company or something."
Goyf also doesn't work with petroglyphs. I think the build he came up with is about the best you're going to get out of the card; it's just not a very good card.

Angry Grimace

Goyf also doesn't work with petroglyphs. I think the build he came up with is about the best you're going to get out of the card; it's just not a very good card.
I don't disagree. I just thought it was a weird way to use the card. Most of the weird cards he plays aren't just worse versions of existing cards. I mean, I guess it did win the vote and a Watchwolf deck wasn't gonna get there.

At least not until we get the vanilla mythic.

Angry Grimace

lol just beat 3 Marvel spins and an Ulamog. Tormenting Voice into Anguished Unmaking is pretty decent.

traveler

Not Wario
Glorybringer is better than Archfiend in play. Typically better than Demon of Dark Schemes too, but if you have a Gearhulk in the gy, you can do what glorybringer would do anyways.

The best thing about Glorybringer is how he pressures planeswalkers. Neither of the other two cards considered do it nearly as well as him. Keeping him in for now. I'd put archfiend at the bottom of the list in effectiveness, but he's still on the level of the other two overall thanks to the fact that he's a 2 mana cantrip straight to the gy. Dark Schemes has done some absurd things, like sweep away a board of thopters, then reanimate an Ulamog out of an opponent's graveyard. The activated ability doesn't see much use and it isn't the reason to run him, but man if it isn't fun when you get to use it.

Tunoku

Got my Marvels sleeved up and ready to go. Going into my first GP with absolutely no byes is gonna be rough. The plan is to jam some Modern Masters drafts if possible. Dimir control splashing all other colors is a ton of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom