• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

The Wrath is the only one of those cards that is good. It is also really good. Sure you have to keep lands tapped but it's ridiculously cheap and doesn't prevent you from playing lands.

How likely are you going to be casting it ON turn 3 anyway? Likely you'll have some mana left over.

Lucario

Thinking about it some more... I guess if standard becomes centered around Midrange strategies post-rotation, Bolas's first two abilities will be pretty backbreaking. +2 easily counts as impacting the board if your opponent's deck is full of two for ones and fatties.

Issue is, his +2 does very little against control or aggro, and he can't effect the board otherwise without burning four loyalty or ulting. I don't want to have to be ahead or at parity for my seven mana planeswalker to be good.

Still don't like the card at all, but it's not Samut bad. Samut is probably worse than intro deck Gideon, which is fucking impressive.

y2dvd

Marvel doesn't even want Bolas.

+2 doesn't even guarantee you'll hit a nonland card you could play.
+1 is eh. They still get to choose which two instead of being at random. Why didn't they give Bolas the ability to cast exiled cards that were exiled that way at the very least?
-4 only hits 1 target. Ulamog can hit two target permanent and block If you Marvel and hit after opponents attack phase. Flamecaller can wipe the board.
-12 Eh, takes a lot of work to get to.

Maybe post rotation Marvel is forced to play Bolas. As of now, I see no reason to include him.

DrArchon

I want to see a Marvel mirror match where someone spins out Bolas, does his +2, and grabs the opponent's Ulamog with it. Talk about a backbreaking play.

Ashodin

Marvel doesn't even want Bolas.

+2 doesn't even guarantee you'll hit a nonland card you could play.
+1 is eh. They still get to choose which two instead of being at random. Why didn't they give Bolas the ability to cast exiled cards that were exiled that way at the very least?
-4 only hits 1 target. Ulamog can hit two target permanent and block If you Marvel and hit after opponents attack phase. Flamecaller can wipe the board.
-12 Eh, takes a lot of work to get to.

Maybe post rotation Marvel is forced to play Bolas. As of now, I see no reason to include him.

It is absolutely a post-rotation Marvel card (assuming Marvel is still around).

I expect outrage if Marvel isn't banned after GP Vegas.

Still don't like the card at all, but it's not Samut bad. Samut is probably worse than intro deck Gideon, which is fucking impressive.

and Samut is a fucking card you will open in your packs!

At least it's OK in Limited. Who knows what the rest of HOU contains, but for now she seems OK. Exert likely will make it through to HOU.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
We just got a cat snake. That's not a thing either. Maro mentioned that desert is a big theme in Hour, so this is my best guess for an extra 15 cards is the set (could be just alternate art for basics, yes).
The cat snake is a thing though. They didn't make it up.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Having watched plenty of UR Control, I'm not sure I want that archetype to return, at least not the traditional "I play everything during your turn" decks.
Way more interesting than marvel. Also ur control is boned since it's losing half of its win conditions on rotation.

Ashodin

Lists of decks fucked when Ixalan comes out

• UR Control
  • Zombies
  • RW Equipment (RIP Stone Haven Outfitter)
  • GB Delirium (RIP in pieces Ishkanah)
  • Any deck with Gideon, Ally of Zendikar in it
  • Pharaohs

Not fucked: Marvel

Yeef

I think people are underestimating how good Bolas is. Getting a free spell every turn is pretty big and his loyalty is high enough that he'll be hard to deal with outside of spot removal like Never and Cast Out.

Samut is super underwhelming though, which is a shame. I like her character a lot.

3-mana wrath is interesting. If there were more playable mana rocks in standard it might be solid.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Honestly, it doesn't actually matter what Hour of Devastation brings in. Aetherworks Marvel is an utter cancer on the format and nobody should realistically believe WOTC cares; I will bet you ANYTHING it's not getting banned and I would be surprised as hell if they banned anything in the deck. The only reason anyone even cares whether Bolas is good is because of Aetherworks Marvel cheating it out.

kirblar

Honestly, it doesn't actually matter what Hour of Devastation brings in. Aetherworks Marvel is an utter cancer on the format and nobody should realistically believe WOTC cares; I will bet you ANYTHING it's not getting banned and I would be surprised as hell if they banned anything in the deck. The only reason anyone even cares whether Bolas is good is because of Aetherworks Marvel cheating it out.
@mtgaaron May 31

Aggro energy decks surging in Standard MTGO leagues... http://magic.wizards.com/en/article...titive-standard-constructed-league-2017-05-31 … #WOTCstaff
Temur Tower all over again.

Ashodin

I mean, Marvel will be everywhere at GP Vegas, it has to get banned after that. It's just as format warping as Cat Combo ever was. Then all we'll have to deal with is Gideon, but at least you CAN deal with it.

So this Friday is the first day you can earn Foil Aether Hub, I plan to win regardless of format I play in (Commander or Standard). So I'm bringing Marvel or Jarad Reanimator.

Santiako

I mean, Marvel will be everywhere at GP Vegas, it has to get banned after that. It's just as format warping as Cat Combo ever was. Then all we'll have to deal with is Gideon, but at least you CAN deal with it.

You know what's extra awkward? This is the next b&r announcement date:

Next B&R Announcement: June 14, 2017 (Effective date for that announcement will be June 19, after Grand Prix Las Vegas)

Announcement before GP Vegas, effect after GP Vegas.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SaffronOlive brought up yesterday on Twitter that since they don't publish full League results, its very easy for WOTC to construct a narrative that some deck isn't dominating (by intentionally omitting the number of Marvel results), which Ari Lax in typical Ari Lax fashion got all mad about even though I bet you fucking anything they in fact do that because they do it all the time.

Ashodin

You know what's extra awkward? This is the next b&r announcement date:

Announcement before GP Vegas, effect after GP Vegas.

Super awkward. jesus

SaffronOlive brought up yesterday on Twitter that since they don't publish full League results, its very easy for WOTC to construct a narrative that some deck isn't dominating (by intentionally omitting the number of Marvel results), which Ari Lax in typical Ari Lax fashion got all mad about even though I bet you fucking anything they in fact do that because they do it all the time.

They absolutely do this. They can say "oh X archetype is surging!" and post lists from those archetypes in the HOPES that people will play something else and hope the format self-corrects (lmao). End of the day, having something that goes off turn 4 without any interaction to its element (energy) is broken.

Lucario

I think I like the wrath. Being able to cast it on turn 5/6 while holding up countermagic is huge IMO, especially if you've got, say, a Gideon or Liliana to follow it up with.

It's basically a 6cmc+ wrath in the long run, but it enables some very strong - and previously impossible - lines of play.

Starting to come around on Bolas more, too. That +2 is just ridiculous against any deck that isn't absurdly synergistic, low to the ground, or full of countermagic. I think I was too hung up on the -4 being his only way of impacting the board, when that's not really the case. Still don't think he's more than a 1-of in marvel, but he's good.

Samut is still trash. 199 cards in the set makes me wonder, though; maybe they baked the intro deck cards into the numbering?

Firemind

I think I like the wrath. Being able to cast it on turn 5/6 while holding up countermagic is huge IMO, especially if you've got, say, a Gideon or Liliana to follow it up with.

It's basically a 6cmc+ wrath in the long run, but it enables some very strong - and previously impossible - lines of play.
Eh if you play a counterspell on opponent's turn your lands still get locked out. So smart players will hold out their bigger threat.

Yeef

199 cards in the set makes me wonder, though; maybe they baked the intro deck cards into the numbering?
Maro has said in the past that this set has more of a desert subtheme than Amonkhet, so there may be a cycle or two of desert lands that are relevant, like wastes in OGW.

Marvel has to be hit with an axe. It's not even like it's Collected Company, where the problem came about as part of the new rotation/other design changes and wasn't inherent to DTK(IE CoCo never dominated DTK/ORI/BFZ. Standard and only became a problem upon Reflector Mage being printed) 99% of what makes Marvel Tick is in Kaladesh Proper. Yeah, it's only as good as the fatties in the format, but I don't see how you can still justify it when they always make fatties.

I mean, for fuck's sake, Kotaku wrote an argument about how Marvel is ruining Standard. Fucking Kotaku can see what R&D can't.

Of course, this is ignoring the fact the motto for Kaladesh seemed to be "Make even more busted ass artifacts". Paradox Engine is just screaming "Break me", especially with cards like Sprout Swarm/Convoke in general.

Ashodin

My latest Legendrule is live.

@Infinite Stars: it's super format-warping because EVERY SINGLE fatty / huge cost card will be evaluated as "can I play this in marvel". Sandwurm Convergence is a good target lmao.

Ashodin

edit: beaten

@Firemind: It's part of why it + Woodweaver's Puzzleknot is stupid af. Even if you spin and whiff hard, you can still likely get back to 6 mana and spin it again the next turn.

Tokens trigger it, lands, creatures, you name it. You get energy easy af.

Honestly, the fact that Marvel hasn't infected Modern is baffling to me. Fetches trigger it and the payoff is literally insane(Either Emrakul can just fuck you straight up)

Honestly, the fact that Marvel hasn't infected Modern is baffling to me. Fetches trigger it and the payoff is literally insane(Either Emrakul can just fuck you straight up)
Marvel is not the only deck trying to win on turn 4, it's slow and full of bad cards and has barely room for sideboard cards.
http://compete.kotaku.com/a-cheap-new-combo-is-ruining-magic-the-gathering-1795579952.

It was one of the recommended articles a few weeks ago on Kotaku, so take that you will.
Surprisingly good article.

ironmang

So this Friday is the first day you can earn Foil Aether Hub, I plan to win regardless of format I play in (Commander or Standard). So I'm bringing Marvel or Jarad Reanimator.

Forgot about hub. Not used to getting decent promos anymore. If I had the choice I'd probably take hub over the promo progenitus we're getting this year.

Ashodin

And Wizards didn't print artifact removal why?

Artifact removal is too late. You need to stop it entering at all.

Forgot about hub. Not used to getting decent promos anymore. If I had the choice I'd probably take hub over the promo progenitus we're getting this year.

Promo Prog is going into 5c Ramos Avatars/Elementals/Bringers

I'm calling the EDH deck "By Your Powers Combined!"

Angry Grimace

edit: beaten

@Firemind: It's part of why it + Woodweaver's Puzzleknot is stupid af. Even if you spin and whiff hard, you can still likely get back to 6 mana and spin it again the next turn.

Tokens trigger it, lands, creatures, you name it. You get energy easy af.

The troll play (that of course happens all of the time):

You: "Anguished Unmaking targetting your Marvel?"
Opp: "Spin."

*hits Marvel off of Marvel, sacs the Marvel you targetted, gets 2 energy*

Artifact removal is too late. You need to stop it entering at all.

dingdingding

This is why Manglehorn is stupid. Only one of its modes will be relevant - one of which is after you already got Ulamog'd and the other doesn't do anything but delay a Marvel but doesn't stop them from getting it.

The card is just broken.

Violet_0

Banned
Bontu's Last Reckoning seems really neat, Samut is awful, Bolas us probably too inconsistent for a 7-mana planeswalker (+2 to play some semi-useless spell that probably just costs 2 mana most of the time, +1 is only good against control, -4 is an ok burn and bad removal, the ultimate is an ultimate so never relevant)

Poppy

Guess standard needed pithing needle then

Or aven mindscensor but too bad it's a masterpiece lol

mindcensor is a normal pack rare too

is modern masters 2017 fun to draft?

and do people actually want the cards in it if i try to trade them for standard stuff?

it certainly has some good cards in it. IIRC, mm2017 is mostly about who gets the most dinrova horrors, aka UB/esper blink is busted

Santiako

Guess standard needed pithing needle then

Or aven mindscensor but too bad it's a masterpiece lol

AvenMindcensor.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom