• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

Just read that Combat Celebrant has a great interaction with Maze of Ith too.
I'm considering it.

Can you exert him more than once per turn? I would figure simply untapping it doesn't mean it's not exerted. Unless I'm misunderstanding how the interaction works, it doesn't go infinite. I suppose it helps you get two combats a turn, which is still good.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Can you exert him more than once per turn? I would figure simply untapping it doesn't mean it's not exerted. Unless I'm misunderstanding how the interaction works, it doesn't go infinite. I suppose it helps you get two combats a turn, which is still good.

No, you'd need some kind of "refresh" effect like restoration angel, at which point you're better off doing kiki combo.

Ashodin

I like the shift in opinion from "bulk red mythic" to "wait a second..." over the course of the past few hours

I think the biggest thing about it is that if he survives until the attack step on your next turn, you've got an extra combat phase. He's shock bait on the highest scale.

You can go

Turn 1 Toolcraft Exemplar
Turn 2 Heart of Kiran
Turn 3 Swing with Heart, Combat Celebrant (4 damage)
Turn 4 Crew Heart, Swing with Combat Celebrant, exert (8 damage)
Second Combat Phase, swing with Toolcraft Exemplar (now a 5/3) and Heart of Kiran again (9 more damage)

That's lethal.

Granted you can't assume you can magical christmas land it, but it could be surprising and takes heat off of Heart.

Santiako

Split goodness:
kixxwircuft3zcdm5uly.png
fg83k3xnnvpd46cmh46b.png
fk0ponhpundbmym9cld0.png

Poppy

insult to injury kind of scares me but i guess it probably wouldnt be good enough to replace skullcrack in burn

eh i guess i dont know what im talking about. either way that and cut to ribbons interest me. first one seems bad/edh

Insult to Injury seems really good, even if just for Injury from the graveyard. And 4RR for "deal 4 damage to target creature and its controller" as an option by itself seems fine.

Ashodin

WOW WOW WOW

Rags to Riches is insane in EDH

Insult to Injury is FUCKING CRAZY, it's 6 mana for 4 damage to creature and player, PLUS you get DOUBLE damage for the turn AND damage is guaranteed. Card is GOOD.

Cut to Ribbons is an amazing spell as well, 2 mana for flame slash I guess is a fine rate with an Aftermath spell attached. The Aftermath spell is kinda meh.

Well it's a kind of better roast really.

DrArchon

Insult and Injury seem alright. Others are kinda eh, but that's probably because I can't help but compare them to Languish and Roast.

Takuhi

Whoa, Insult to Injury and Cut to Ribbons are pretty legit cards. Insult can get you a nice chunk of damage from an attack or a Shock early in the game, then act as a solid Flashback removal spell, or for six mana deal 8 damage and give all your creatures double strike. Wow.

Cut is playable by itself, and RIbbons helps to give RB decks inevitability.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I hate that layout so much it makes viewing on screens a chore.

HATE HATE HATE HATE

Those are rares? Seriously?
The first is creature stealing, which is now always rare, especially a version that can steal multiple creatures in multi-player. Rags clears out small creatures so the opponent has to give you a decent one.

Damage prevention and doubling is rare.

X spells from the graveyard are very powerful, especially since Cut is useful early on. This is probably the most powerful of the lot in Limited.

The implicit "To" on the Aftermath cards isn't really working for me. I'm most likely only casting one-half of the card on any given phase, so I'm only really going to be reading half of the card's name at any given time, omitting the "To" in every case.

Minor design quibble. We now return you to your regularly scheduled Gideon freakout and people being surprised that things go infinite with Kiki-Jiki, somehow.

ultron87

Neat!

C8rXcBCV0AAHiPB.jpg:large

It being once each turn, so you can play something and then cast a counter for free on the opponent's turn is cool.

MoxManiac

Might try Cut // Ribbons in my Vial smasher deck. Under the new rules the converted mana cost of casting the ribbons side is x + 2 right?

I know that Gideon distracted everybody, but this is a pretty good card:

en_cx9hEYt7cc.png

Very Chainer's Edict-esque, hopefully they print more Cartouches next set
for bogles

duxstar

Did anyone listen to Frank Lepore and Ali Antrazis podcast Freshly brewed ? Basically how they feel is how i feel right now. Every new spoiler card has to get compared to Mardu Vehicles or copy cat, so every card that we see falls into the camp of "can this beat copy cat and mardu ? No then its unplayable"

Listen 4 mana 5/4s, and 3 mana enchantments mean nothing right now, and the current standard format ruins almost every card.

4 mana 5/4 haste ? Does nothing to saheeli combo, and when mardu is hitting you for 7 or 10 on turn 3 there is no room to be casting 3 mana do nothing cards.

Its depreasing really, makes the theros days of mono b vs mono u feel diverse

Ashodin

Did anyone listen to Frank Lepore and Ali Antrazis podcast Freshly brewed ? Basically how they feel is how i feel right now. Every new spoiler card has to get compared to Mardu Vehicles or copy cat, so every card that we see falls into the camp of "can this beat copy cat and mardu ? No then its unplayable"

Listen 4 mana 5/4s, and 3 mana enchantments mean nothing right now, and the current standard format ruins almost every card.

4 mana 5/4 haste ? Does nothing to saheeli combo, and when mardu is hitting you for 7 or 10 on turn 3 there is no room to be casting 3 mana do nothing cards.

Its depreasing really, makes the theros days of mono b vs mono u feel diverse

I dunno, Scarab Feast destroys Scrapheap Scroungers in the GY.

Copycat is disruptable.

Edit: GB yeah Trial of Ambition is some good.

Under the assumption that no more amazing 1-mana Auras are gonna get spoiled, here's what my Modern Bogles deck is gonna look like:

12 Creature
  • 4 Gladecover Scout
  • 4 Slippery Bogle
  • 4 Invisible Stalker
26 Enchantment
  • 4 Ethereal Armor
  • 4 Rancor
  • 4 Consuming Fervor
  • 3 Deviant Glee
  • 3 Spider Umbra
  • 3 Cartouche of Solidarity
  • 1 Flamespeaker's Will
  • 4 Daybreak Coronet
4 Instant
  • 3 Path to Exile
  • 1 Boros Charm
18 Land
  • 3 Horizon Canopy
  • 4 City of Brass
  • 4 Gemstone Mine
  • 4 Mana Confluence
  • 3 Reflecting Pool

15 Sideboard
  • 1 Path to Exile
  • 1 Grafdigger's Cage
  • 2 Rest in Peace
  • 1 Stony Silence
  • 1 Natural State
  • 1 Seal of Primordium
  • 4 Leyline of Sanctity
  • 4 Inquisition of Kozilek

Supast4r

Karn and Ugin are fantastic, but they cost way too much to be put on the level of Jace/Lili(both, though Karn might just be better) Nahiri isn't a wincon by herself, Dack I blanked on completely because I don't play Legacy, and Garruk is.. alright.

Karn's a pillar in one deck though, and that's mainly because he's able to be dropped on Turn 3.

Like, the way I'm evaluating the power level of the Walkers is : Strong uptick, Strong Downtick, can win you the game by itself when left unchecked. Not put you in a position to win like Tamiyo's Ults but straight up win Jace/Both Lili's effectively have an Ultimate that reads "You win the game" stapled to efficient other abilities. Same goes for Gideon. I'd cut Ajani for Karn though now thinking about it.

Edit: My top 5 based on my experience (Modern/Standard/Some Legacy):

Jace the Fun Sculptor
Liliana of the Veil
Karn
Gideon Ally of Zendikar
Liliana the Last Hope

Bottom 5*:
Liliana of the Dark Realms
Chandra Ablaze
Elspeth Tirel
Ajani Unyielding
Jace the Living Millpact

*Not including cards like Daretti 2.0 or such, including the "Planeswalker Pack" ones because that would be way too easy.

Dack fayden/ugin not being in your top 5 is something.... GR Tron got a huge shot in the arm with the printing of ugin and vintage is Fayden's world.

Supast4r

Jace was a $100 card because of how absurd he was in Standard while KTK was legal. You might forget cause he was mearly a good card once he lost Fetches and Dig, but he was a nightmare for that year.

Jace VP was good in standard. He isn't good in modern and is fringe in legacy. He does not deserve to be higher than tron planeswalkers. Do you not remember when Ugin ran shop over standard? Or when Elspeth Sun's Champion (also way better than Jace VP) ran shop over standard? Ugin still dominates in modern and elspeth still sees play in tier 2 decks in modern. Jace VP has no consistent success in modern/eternal formats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom