• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

Somehow my thread title suggestions end up perpetually almost making it haha

Someday!

Oh, top of the page..

um...

When do we get a new Tibalt tho

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Somehow my thread title suggestions end up perpetually almost making it haha

Someday!

Oh, top of the page..

um...

When do we get a new Tibalt tho
We are due for a Rakdos PW. There's only been one and he isn't even black anymore.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'd be okay if they did Fiora as a regular plane too. I like the flavor.

OnPoint

We are due for a Rakdos PW. There's only been one and he isn't even black anymore.

Yeah, it's an underserved color combo. I think as much as we complain about them not knowing what to do with Red, they seem much more confused about red-black as a combo haha

Spell? Kill or burn.

Creature? Aggro.

That's it?

Ugh.

Ashodin

Conspiracy 2 missed out on giving us Brago's sword

Apparently it has powers or something but Equipment? what's that?

:|

Yeef

Yeah, Fiora is pretty cool. Like Kaladesh, we've really only seen the one city though. If we went to Fiora (or return to Kaladesh) I'd like to see more of the world beyond the cities.

I'd also love to see a standard-legal Dack (though if I remember correctly, he's currently on Theros).

Angry Grimace

Yeah, it's an underserved color combo. I think as much as we complain about them not knowing what to do with Red, they seem much more confused about red-black as a combo haha

Spell? Kill or burn.

Creature? Aggro.

That's it?

Ugh.
Kill and burn at the same time!

I think random discard works in RB at the least.

Angry Grimace

Random discard plus pay life for actual discard. Now that's a card.
The problem is that random discard is weird in RB because they beger design it as anything other than suicide aggro.

Yeah, Fiora is pretty cool. Like Kaladesh, we've really only seen the one city though. If we went to Fiora (or return to Kaladesh) I'd like to see more of the world beyond the cities.

I'd also love to see a standard-legal Dack (though if I remember correctly, he's currently on Theros).

We know that Fiora has dinosaurs, so maybe that could have dinosaur tribal.
7.jpg

Extra HOU cards explanation
saintmiscellaneous asked: Will next Mondays article solve the mystery of those extra 15 cards that have appeared on HOU's product description page?

I believe those are just basic lands. For reasons to be explained soon, the set needed new basic land illustrations.

OnPoint

Kill and burn at the same time!

I think random discard works in RB at the least.

Um... let's get some of that going!

Sorcery

Deal 2 damage to target player, then that
player discards two cards at random.
_____________________________________​

Or how about we just get it on Tibalt!

Planeswalker - Tibalt

+1: Deal 2 damage to each player
+1: Each player discards two cards at random
-6: Each of your opponents loses half their life,
rounded up.
{ 2 }

When do you think the next time they'll print that is though?

The random rider is also important.
I mean KCommand kinda counts as the last time they did this.

Barring the Delirium Hymn do they still do random discard? Do we even want it, it's not that different to spinning the wheel with marvel.
I noticed her accent immediately. It's not thick, but its noticeable if you hear her talking a lot like when she did converge. "Gaby Spartz" isn't her maiden name, its Maria Gabriela Montero (I previously looked this up because I had wanted to find out where she was from, and not solely because I am creepy) She was married to Emerson Spartz, the guy that made the original Harry Potter fansite Mugglenet. He got really rich making shitty awful clickbait websites, which is what he still does.
At the risk of sounding/being racist she just looked white af to me. I would have guessed her Irish before being from Ecuador.

I have never heard of mugglenet, despite having read all the potters in German and English, just never a fandom I took part in.

Yeef

Random discard tends to be miserable, especially in limited. Graveyard-based sets mitigate the issue a bit, which is probably why they felt comfortable doing it in Eldritch Moon. With delirium and madness, there's a good chance you still got some value out of whatever you ended up discarding.

OnPoint

I mean KCommand kinda counts as the last time they did this.

Barring the Delirium Hymn do they still do random discard? Do we even want it, it's not that different to spinning the wheel with marvel.
K-command is definitely good, but it's also in part due to is swiss army knife like features.

I'd like it if they gave red-black something strong to play with. I don't really want mono-black to have discard-at-random. But it's an effect that I think could and should have a place if done tastefully.

Like if we reimagine Hippy, we get something that's not too strong (I still think Hippy paid the price for Dark Rituals crimes).

Flaming Spectre 1BR

Creature - Spirit

Flying
When Flaming Spectre deals combat
damage to a player, that player randomly
discards a card.

2/1

Or how about self-sacrifice for some sort of gain in red-black.

Consuming Rites BR

Sorcery

Choose one:
- Discard two cards at random, draw three cards
- Deal three damage to target creature or player, you
lose three life

What happened to the performance/theatre aspect of the color combo? Why can't they play that bit of it up some and give us some fun stuff. It's all murder/death/kill/crazy.

Wily Thespian BRR

Creature - Human

When Wily Thespian attacks you may have it
become a copy of any creature your opponent
controls until the next end step.

0/3

It's just sad to see combos like UR and BG get all kinds of fun toys, while a combo like this just kind of gets crapped on.

K-command is definitely good, but it's also in part due to is swiss army knife like features.

What happened to the performance/theatre aspect of the color combo? Why can't they play that bit of it up some and give us some fun stuff. It's all murder/death/kill/crazy.

Wily Thespian BRR

Creature - Human

When Wily Thespian attacks you may have it
become a copy of any creature your opponent
controls until the next end step.

0/3

It's just sad to see combos like UR and BG get all kinds of fun toys, while a combo like this just kind of gets crapped on.

alright this got me thinking. We've talked about the performer/artist as red's colour identity before and modality could actually be a pretty nice flavour for that.

Conductor RRR

Legendary Creature - Human, Performer

As Conductor enters the Battlefield put a Melody counter on each other creature you control

1, remove any number of Melody counters from creatures you control, t: Choose one or more
  • Target creature can't block this turn if you removed one or more Melody counters from a creature you control.
  • Target creature gets +2/+0 and first strike until end of turn if you removed 3 or more Melody counters from creatures you control.
  • Take control of target creature until end of turn. Untap it, it gains haste until end of turn if you removed four or more Melody counters from creatures you control.
1/3​

Boy templating this became a handful I've got an idea but it's hard to put on a magic card in a way that's not cumbersome.

Tunoku

This happened to me at the GP, so I'm wondering what you would have done:

Round 11 playing Marvel. Up against Mardu Vehicles. You're up 1-0 and on the draw. Your opponent mulled to 6. Your hand: Forest, Attune, 2x Rogue Refiner, Marvel, Negate, Harnessed Lightning. You draw another copy of Marvel on your turn 1. What basic do you fetch with Attune?

I fetched an Island. Afterwards, I drew two copies of Harnessed Lightning in a row and got punished by a turn 2 Heart of Kiran. Did I fuck it up? I had 14 blue sources and 11 red sources in my deck. I figured, since I had two copies of Rogue Refiner in my opener, I should prioritize blue mana first and they could eventually draw me into the necessary mana.

You should separate or spoiler tag the resolution.

I think you were right. Early creature threat by Mardu isn't that strong especially post board. Having negate up for a possible gideon, dispossess, transgress is more important than picking off 1 creature with lightning.
If you had to kill a heart of Kiran with the lightning you'd also have to use up almost all energy you had.

traveler

Not Wario
On the draw, I would have gone with a mountain, specifically because you can't negate the heart of Kiran. On the play, I probably would have fetched as you did. You need to draw into a third land/attune anyways for the refiner and, like you said, there's a higher probability of hitting a blue source than a red. It's definitely a tough call though.

Round 11 playing Marvel. Up against Mardu Vehicles. You're up 1-0 and on the draw. Your opponent mulled to 6. Your hand: Forest, Attune, 2x Rogue Refiner, Marvel, Negate, Harnessed Lightning. You draw another copy of Marvel on your turn 1. What basic do you fetch with Attune?

I fetched an Island. Afterwards, I drew two copies of Harnessed Lightning in a row and got punished by a turn 2 Heart of Kiran. Did I fuck it up? I had 14 blue sources and 11 red sources in my deck. I figured, since I had two copies of Rogue Refiner in my opener, I should prioritize blue mana first and they could eventually draw me into the necessary mana.

I think that was right. You're not a control deck and you only had one answer in your hand. Island lets you develop a board and dig into your deck while Mountain lets you kill a single creature. Imagine if you had drawn basically anything else besides two more Lightnings. You'd have had no board and no answers after the first thing you killed.

traveler

Not Wario
So no one else is attending the GP? Man, Vegas looks pretty stacked with events. Bummer that you guys can't see it. The Art Show alone is pretty unprecedented.

Does anyone know how multi main event registrations work for these kinds of GPs? If I prereg for Sealed, then do well enough to day 2, do I get refunded my modern registration?

Edit: L2Read. Right there in the event faq, second question. Nevermind.

Angry Grimace

A guy at my local bar said "MAN, FUCK AETHERWORKS MARVEL AND FUCK YOU" when I was trying to explain the card to my buddy.

Angry Grimace

Random discard tends to be miserable, especially in limited. Graveyard-based sets mitigate the issue a bit, which is probably why they felt comfortable doing it in Eldritch Moon. With delirium and madness, there's a good chance you still got some value out of whatever you ended up discarding.
It's supposed to be.

bigkrev

Isle of Cards, my favorite store/buylist is shutting down :(

Thankfully, they were run by Cardhoarder so will be fully paying out any store credit in either cash or Cardhoarder credit

Magic Story - Hour of Revelation
* The story starts with a flashback. It appears to be soon after the Mending, and Bolas still has his old planeswalker powers, but he's running out of time before they're gone forever, so he has to get his affairs in order.
* He was already messing around with Amonkhet, but now he has to rush things more than he wanted. By this point, it's already the case that most of the plane is wrecked, leaving only the city.
* Bolas attacks the city and the eight gods fight back, but he easily fends them off. He casts a spell to kill everyone able to walk, leaving only babies incapable of prayer, further weakening the gods.
* He stores away three gods for later use and brainwashes the others. He releases mummies to act as caretakers. He writes his own prophecies and erects monuments to himself. He enchants the second sun to move according to his will, so it fulfills the prophecy of his return whenever he feels like returning.
* As suspected, he's using the plane to build an army.

* In the present, Djeru and Samut run through the city. Only now do they realize how empty it is, with mostly mummies and children, since so many died in the trials.
* The city is in chaos with Bolas returning soon. As Hazoret passes through, children beg her to give them a glorious death too. Djeru realizes it might not be too bad that he didn't die, since he will at least witness Bolas's return.
* Samut makes Djeru promise that they will protect their gods and each other. He nods without knowing what she means.
* Hazoret announces Bolas's arrival as the Gate of the Afterlife slowly opens.
* The Gate fully opens, revealing a desert, just like what's beyond the Hekma. Many are confused, but many cheer anyway.
* Samut asks Hazoret if that's supposed to be paradise. She doesn't reply. People are confused about why Bolas hasn't appeared yet.
* A dark figure flies out of the gate, and many assume it's Bolas, but Djeru recognizes it as the final test, a demon.
* The demon cuts himself and bleeds into the river. This turns the entire river into blood, killing everything in it.
* The demon calls out for Liliana to face him. Djeru is surprised that he would know her.

Violet_0

Banned
^ still gonna try it

island for the rogue refiners. You got unlucky that he played the HoK, but being stuck on 3 mana and one playable card can easily lose you the game as well

I'm cool with them using their license for games and expanding the brand but if we get a Magic MMO before we get a competitive digital Magic client, well I just can't even.

red13th

They added Archenemy Nicol Bolas to Gatherer and Lightning Bolt has flavour text. *sigh*
I'll still get a copy, but I really want a frontier-frame Lightning Bolt with centered text and no flavour text.
The other ones I'm looking for are Stormblood Berserker with keyworded Menace and frontier-frame Grim Lavamancer (this one is lovely).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom