• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get all the people on twitter who are sad and upset about leaks.

I really don't give a fuck if WOTC's marketing machine works the way WOTC wants it to work.

Pretty much. I've been bored and disinterested in their announcements all week, and the only reason any local players I know have even cared is because they're interns presumably brought in to help finish up MDN (ie, they only cared about the Duels/MDN announcement and not one whit about the rest).

Now, I'm engaged, and I'm willing to bet tomorrow everyone I know who's playing Magic is going to be talking about something from these leaks.

El Topo

The plan a company has set in motion to sell as much of their product as possible is in turmoil because someone revealed us information. Oh no!

speaking of standard, that hidden stockpile spicy anointed procession deck, whew.

holy fuck

Hostage Taker 2UB
Creature - Human Pirate
When ~ enters the battlefield, exile target artifact or creature until ~ leaves the battlefield. You may cast that card for as long as it remains exiles, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast that spell.
2/3

this card seems insane.

Abzan tokens is a solid deck with three main problems: no ulamog plan ( no longer a problem!), loses hard to Approach of the Second Sun decks due to its slow-momentum kill, and it's mana base is awful.

I'm working on the mana, already down to 22 lands from the stock lists. Need to ditch the evolving wilds next.

The other thing it's a dog to that no one but me has to worry about: someone playing 4 main board Nahiris. Have a dude at my store who does this in a Naya shell. Straight scoop to the first resolved Nahiri.

I've been on the deck since Game Day. Only stopped to play a Bant Avacyn/Tamiyo deck last weekend to top 8 a pptq.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm guessing the Legendary Planeswalker - Jace thing is them removing the Planeswalker uniqueness rule entirely.

The only reason the uniqueness rule exists is story consistency of having two Jaces, but in reality, your opponent can have a Jace while you have a Jace already, and you can cast Samut, the Tested and Samut, the Creature at the same time as-is, so story consistency is largely out the window anyways.

I'm guessing that with pulling back on the Gatewatch, we're less likely to see 4 Nissas in Standard that often anyways.

Ashodin

I'm guessing the Legendary Planeswalker - Jace thing is them removing the Planeswalker uniqueness rule entirely.

The only reason the uniqueness rule exists is story consistency of having two Jaces, but in reality, your opponent can have a Jace while you have a Jace already, and you can cast Samut, the Tested and Samut, the Creature at the same time as-is, so story consistency is largely out the window anyways.

I'm guessing that with pulling back on the Gatewatch, we're less likely to see 4 Nissas in Standard that often anyways.

I'm ok with that change.

Well alight, if you guys insist this won't mess with Ixalan thread discussion.
But I swear, if one of you guys complains when they reveal a leaked card...
Rivals of Ixalan OP will use My Little Pony GIFs

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There's also gameplay balance.

Fuuuuuuuuck if you can have multiple Gideons out now lol.

Well, they're legendary.

The only gameplay implication I can really think of is that the Modern Gideons deck gets better.

kirblar

More information for consumers is not a bad thing for us.
By the time the set releases, all the cards are out there. There is not "hidden information" being given to consumers here that would not be out there regardless at a more appropriate time.

Your entitlement on display here is nauseating. We keep getting more MTG stuff because it sells. When sales go bad, we get less stuff.

El Topo

What good is this information to consumers? Wotc isn't trying to trick any one here.

How is more information a bad thing for us as consumers?

We keep getting more MTG stuff because it sells. When sales go bad, we get less stuff.

The idea that, in principle, leaking of information is bad for us as consumers because it screws of a marketing plan designed to sell boosters and thus leads to worse sales and subsequently to "less stuff" for us, is a very flimsy argument. You throwing personal attacks into this is very sad.

Violet_0

Banned
since the Vampire is a Cleric/"Bishop" and mono W, he seems to be part of the conquistadors/church. Pretty interesting twist on this trope

planeswalkers can be EDH commanders now, I guess. Like, all of them, even the older ones

Well, they're legendary.

The only gameplay implication I can really think of is that the Modern Gideons deck gets better.

Oh, sure, you can't have the same Gideon. But now the biggest weakness of trying to exploit the Gideon of the Trials emblem (i.e., you can only have one Gideon out at a time) is gone.

By the time the set releases, all the cards are out there. There is not "hidden information" being given to consumers here that would not be out there regardless at a more appropriate time.

Your entitlement on display here is nauseating. We keep getting more MTG stuff because it sells. When sales go bad, we get less stuff.

Whoa dude take a deep breath. You can disagree without attacking like that geez.

Angry Grimace

Oh, sure, you can't have the same Gideon. But now the biggest weakness of trying to exploit the Gideon of the Trials emblem (i.e., you can only have one Gideon out at a time) is gone.

Whoa dude take a deep breath. You can disagree without attacking like that geez.

Well, in Standard, the Multiple Gideons plan is dumb without Ally of Zenidkar or Gideon Jura anyways. In Modern, well that's why its better if they're just Legendary.

since the Vampire is a Cleric/"Bishop" and mono W, he seems to be part of the conquistadors/church. Pretty interesting twist on this trope

planeswalkers can be EDH commanders now, I guess

That sort of makes the ones with "~ can be your Commander" rules text awkward.

I'm all for it, though. I have a dumb Superfriends EDH deck that actually sometimes could, in theory, have two different variants of some planeswalkers in play.

Angry Grimace

We don't even know that it says legendary (that was my first guess too) and the rules implications, so let's not get too crazy.

Why? There's plenty of noncreature legendaries that can't be commanders.

We don't, but unless they introduce another supertype, that's the only plausible one.

OnPoint

Makes me wonder if we'll get a card that reads

Destroy all planeswalkers

in the future.

kirblar

It's not an attack.

The attitude of "its just information, it's fine if its out there" disgusts me w/ the DNC hacks. It disgusts me w/ people angry at Denuvo protecting publishers w/ initial sales. And it disgusts me with people defending leaks of WotC sets months and months in advance that do nothing but harm.

I find these attitudes to be absolutely terrible and disgusting.

I think the disconnect here is that sales won't go bad. Sales will go slightly-not-as-good, and only if we have something on the level of the godbook leaks. OGW had big leaks and it sold better than they were expecting for a small set.

OnPoint

I think the disconnect here is that sales won't go bad. Sales will go slightly-not-as-good, and only if we have something on the level of the godbook leaks. OGW had big leaks and it sold better than they were expecting for a small set.

I think that's in part to OGW being an INSANE set, power level wise.

traveler

Not Wario
There are so many artists here holy shit. And I haven't even wandered over to the actual art show yet. Wulfric, you are missing out.

Only event ive played yet is a foiled again sealed deck with cfb pros. Had an absurd pool that I wish I could have saved for the main evetn. Had an easy 3-0 but didn't get mached against any pros. My frieND got matched againot Reid round one, though. His first paper game of magic in years and he gets to warm up with Reid lol.

Chaos sealed up next.

Angry Grimace

Well alight, if you guys insist this won't mess with Ixalan thread discussion.
But I swear, if one of you guys complains when they reveal a leaked card...
Rivals of Ixalan OP will use My Little Pony GIFs

The core audience is going to buy a lot of product anyways.

kirblar

IIRC it was just Kozilek. Vast majority didn't leak.

Angry Grimace

I think once they are out there, they're fine to discuss. Toothpaste doesn't go back in the tube.

Its not that I would personally leak anything, its that I care dramatically less about whether WOTC's plans are ruined as a result of Trick Jarrett's bullshit column where he blamed the community for the leaks.

IIRC it was just Kozilek. Vast majority didn't leak.

Every mythic in the set leaked before spoilers started. Kozilek and a Wastes just leaked way earlier.

DrArchon

I'll just say that despite the volume of the leaks here, it still feels less important overall than the leaks for HOU. At least WotC still gets to surprise people with mechanics and the planeswalkers. Don't get that for HOU (except for Eternalize). Yeah, Ixalan is farther out, but the most I've gotten out of these leaks is "Yes, there really are Pirates and Dinosaurs, plus a tribal theme".

kirblar

The Kozilek leak alone was more damaging than anything we've seen here because of the colorless mana symbol.
Strongly disagree. That invited speculation/mystery/etc. as people tried to figure it out.

This leak has the set themes, mechanics, etc. all laid out w/ a bow. The curiosity factor is now dead.

Angry Grimace

Still should have been in BFZ goddammit

Even Maro agrees with that by now.

Strongly disagree. That invited speculation/mystery/etc. as people tried to figure it out.

This leak has the set themes, mechanics, etc. all laid out w/ a bow. The curiosity factor is now dead.

I don't know about that. Half the sets they release these days have known mechanics and themes because they already exist. I knew what I was getting out of BFZ and SOI the second they were announced. And we already knew there were pirates and dinosaurs from WOTC's mouth.

El Topo

It's not an attack.

The attitude of "its just information, it's fine if its out there" disgusts me w/ the DNC hacks. It disgusts me w/ people angry at Denuvo protecting publishers w/ initial sales. And it disgusts me with people defending leaks of WotC sets months and months in advance that do nothing but harm.

I find these attitudes to be absolutely terrible and disgusting.

You know what I find terrible and disgusting? People that make big, bold claims, exclaim their disgust and moral superiority, but clearly don't understand what they are talking about. People that compare a picture of a card sheet to the hack of an organization that threw a democracy into turmoil and leaked very personal communication and information. Or rather, I find that just sad.

kirblar

You know what I find terrible and disgusting? People that make big, bold claims, exclaim their disgust and moral superiority, but clearly don't understand what they are talking about. People that compare a picture of a card sheet to the hack of an organization that threw a democracy into turmoil and leaked very personal communication and information.
What all the things I have listed have in common: the concept that private ownership of communications, information, and property shouldn't exist.

I don't know that they actually have cards printed for fall sets quite this early though. It's possible its a test sheet to see what the foils look like and that its not a final templating for everything.

This is possible. It would potentially account for some of the seemingly weak names and a card that breaks the game.

Firemind

But does it have burn spells that's what I want to know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom