• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Soul-Scar Mage +

225.jpg
or
153.jpg
or
142.jpg
or
145.jpg
or
111.jpg
or
28.jpg
or

Radiant Flames becomes -3/-3 counters, holy shit

noquarter

Why did it change? Still not sure what to think of it. It's opposite of what you want to do as control if it means bouncing your land. Every land drop is so important. It's hard in a midrange deck because you want to play cards. Will be interesting to see where thos card ends up.
The bounce is may. You don't have to return a land to your hand. It works really good for control with the cycling lands, since you can play them early and then cycle late when you already have enough lands. Also can help you reach 7 cards before attacks and replay a land if you don't have any others.

kirblar

Why are you spamming card images when it's just Soul Scar + every red burn/removal spell you'd normally be playing anyway?

OnPoint

Why are you spamming card images when it's just Soul Scar + every red burn/removal spell you'd normally be playing anyway?

Because he's Ashodin.

And we have to take him for who he is. Because pointing things like this out to him doesn't change him lol

We haven't even seen the new set yet yet "esper sucks." Esper just got a new sphinx, UB has placed top 8 pro tours last year when it was tuned to the meta, It has one of the best removal spells ever printed, UW ruled the world not too long ago pre bannings, etc. Esper is looking up right now.

The biggest winner of this spoiler season so far has been Naya. Glorybriner/exert creatures plus Always watching/Arlinn Kord/Blessed Alliance. Add in generic good stuff cards like Avacyn/Gideon ally/removal/heart of kiran and this looks interesting.
I'm specifically down on esper. Not any combinations of its colours. I'd argue Unlicensed Disintegration is stronger than Fatal Push in standard. It's easier to cast in a triple colour deck than murder as well. UW was not a control deck when it ruled the world.

wedges are advantaged by the lands available alone and among the shard I feel like if CopyCat sticks around you'd rather be grixis than esper.
? I don't follow.

Anyway, I expect its playability mainly depends on if there are much better one-drops than a 1/2 prowress, regardless of the wither ability.
oh I was comparing it to Swiftspear.

Ashodin

Yeah if you want to stack burn spells over multiple turns. Otherwise the creature would still die to burn.

It turns later combat into tricky situations for opponents. It also makes a great board wipe for four mana with Radiant Flames, making the stuff left over stay at -3/-3.

DrArchon

Soul-Scar Mage + Walking Ballista (with a decent number of counters) = combat math hell

Hazoret's Favor looks sick for limited. I'm really hoping that I'll be able to go with RW Exert at the prerelease if they keep revealing cards like this.

OnPoint

My opinion of the set is that it's not great, still. Hopefully it shakes up standard. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's good.

Firemind

This is the key. Your burn spells reduce power, not just "damage." You can't brickwall small creatures with fatter creatures now.
A Lightning strike and a 2/2 still trades with a 5/5. Also it would have to be an instant and there aren't a lot of instant burn that also go to the dome at the moment.

ultron87

A Lightning strike and a 2/2 still trades with a 5/5. Also it would have to be an instant and there aren't a lot of instant burn that also go to the dome at the moment.

I suppose this is a fair point, since 2/2s, 5/5s and Lightning Strikes are the only cards in Magic.

Ashodin

Favor won't trigger Stockpile because of the if clause though.

eh? Why wouldn't you be giving the token +2/+0 and haste though?

When you give the creature the buff it gets a clause "At the beginning of your next end step, sacrifice CARDNAME." You stack it with the Stockpile to sacrifice it first, then get a 1/1 back.

Ashodin

Ah if you're referring to the revolt trigger never checking because something didn't die... I'm not sure.

I mean you can force the issue with Hidden Stockpile's ability though.

Second main phase, sac the token (or it died in combat), scry 1. Still seems good.

There it is
2017-02-09: All cards in the Aether Revolt set with triggered revolt abilities use an intervening "if" clause. A permanent you controlled must have left the battlefield earlier in the turn in order for these abilities to trigger; otherwise they do nothing. In other words, there's no way to have the ability trigger if no permanent you controlled has left the battlefield that turn, even if you intend to have one do so in response to the triggered ability.
Ifs are a bitch in MTG.

Tunoku

490vzSh.png

shieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Alright, Amonkhet. I'm on board.

giphy.gif

Also, this doesn't replace Swiftspear in Modern Lava Spike/Skullcrack/Boros Charm decks because they're, well, Lava Spike/Skullcrack/Boros Charm decks. Having said that, this is easily a top 5 red one-drop, possibly better than Lavaman.

Santiako

Alright, Amonkhet. I'm on board.

giphy.gif

Also, this doesn't replace Swiftspear in Modern Lava Spike/Skullcrack/Boros Charm decks because they're, well, Lava Spike/Skullcrack/Boros Charm decks. Having said that, this is easily a top 5 red one-drop, possibly better than Lavaman.

No but a R/U Prowess deck is looking better a better in Modern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom