• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";234111341]Mangle doesn't mingle, you guys are dissmissing the beast of standard.[/QUOTE]

I don't get why you think its so great to begin with. It's a bad card against the combo and its a good card against Vehicles. That's not "standard fixing" levels, to me.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";234111341]Mangle doesn't mingle, you guys are dissmissing the beast of standard.[/QUOTE]
No, it's a Bear that dies to Shock. That's not good enough to stop anything that CopyCat does because they can just Flicker the land, Shock him, and combo off.

Authority of the Counsels is the closest thing there is to a "Fuck CopyCat" card, with Big Thalia being number 2, and both of these still can't stop the deck. What makes you think a worse 3 Drop can?

It might, might be non shit against Mardu Vehicles except they run so much removal that it's eating removal.

Lucario

I would be thrilled if a vehicles player used a removal spell on a 2/2 that already ate a Heart of Kiran.

It's a lot sketchier as combo hate though. Incredible against the variants that run Marvel, middling otherwise.

I run the marvel variant >.>

It's a good card. Realistically, though, I think it'll get the most mileage in 4c Saheeli's sideboard.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
No, it's a Bear that dies to Shock. That's not good enough to stop anything that CopyCat does because they can just Flicker the land, Shock him, and combo off.

Authority of the Counsels is the closest thing there is to a "Fuck CopyCat" card, with Big Thalia being number 2, and both of these still can't stop the deck. What makes you think a worse 3 Drop can?

It might, might be non shit against Mardu Vehicles except they run so much removal that it's eating removal.

It's not a good card against cat.

Zvi Moshowitz on Manglehorn: "While I agree that [Manglehorn against the combo] technically works, given the lack of good targets for Manglehorn, this is not something I want in my deck. Yes it stops the combo, but that is actual all it does and that's pretty horrible. Compare to, say, Thalia."

Angry Grimace

I didn't believe you so I checked- he did nothing after Ravnica, then had a card in Fate Reforged, did a cycle of lands for Commander 2016, and did the MM3 Stoney Silence.

Weird!

636264765806124822.png

Angry Grimace

Rhonas being like $10 on pre-order seems like the only deal I'm even vaguely interested in.

That dude is great if you're playing a green deck with creatures in it.

It's not a good card against cat.

Zvi Moshowitz on Manglehorn: "While I agree that [Manglehorn against the combo] technically works, given the lack of good targets for Manglehorn, this is not something I want in my deck. Yes it stops the combo, but that is actual all it does and that's pretty horrible. Compare to, say, Thalia."
Patrick Chapin on Manglehorn: "It's Manglehorn's world man, we're just living in it."

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
A friend of mine is putting together a sort of casual EDH tournament and I have to decide what decks to bring. I do not know the power levels of the other decks that will be there, though my decks cover a pretty broad range of power. Wondering what people think I should bring from this list (ordered by power level):

Gitrog Monster Combo
Omnath, Locus of Mana Ramp
General Tazri Allies Toolbox
Marchesa The Black Rose Aggro
Omnath, Locus of Rage Ramp
Zedruu the Greathearted Control
Kiki-Jiki Mirror Breaker Combo
Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim Lifegain
Sun Quan, Lord of Wu Aggro
Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief Aggro

i'm also making a Leovold, Emissary of Trest Combo Control deck, but it may not be ready in time.

Bear in mind that the rule structure is a little weird. Games are one-on-one but the banlist is the multiplayer one. Games play out "Pokemon style;" each player goes in with three decks and when you lose a round that deck gets knocked out. You keep going until one player loses all three decks, which ends up being a best 3 out of 5 sort of situation.

Prizes include a bunch of Revised dual lands. All that said, what three decks would you run in this situation assuming you knew nothing about the other decks you were gonna face?

hermit7

A friend of mine is putting together a sort of casual EDH tournament and I have to decide what decks to bring. I do not know the power levels of the other decks that will be there, though my decks cover a pretty broad range of power. Wondering what people think I should bring from this list (ordered by power level):

Gitrog Monster Combo

i'm also making a Leovold, Emissary of Trest Combo Control deck, but it may not be ready in time.

Bear in mind that the rule structure is a little weird. Games are one-on-one but the banlist is the multiplayer one. Games play out "Pokemon style;" each player goes in with three decks and when you lose a round that deck gets knocked out. You keep going until one player loses all three decks, which ends up being a best 3 out of 5 sort of situation.

Prizes include a bunch of Revised dual lands. All that said, what three decks would you run in this situation assuming you knew nothing about the other decks you were gonna face?

Assume everyone is playing their most competitive stuff and use that as your base.

I would go for combo over really anything else or things with resilient and easy wincons. (Zealous conscripts and Kiki type stuff). Prizes are decent so assume that people will go for those. Hell I would make it and drive like an hour or so away if there was a tournament like that.

duxstar

It always feels like WotC just misses the forest for the trees man.

You have a right to be afraid, their logic last banning anouncement was ...... well Temur Tower is totally a thing, and has a shot against Saheeli combo so its not banned!

Saheeli Combo is currently 46.84% of the meta
Mardu Vehilces is 24.68% of the meta

Meaning that 71.52% of the current meta game is you going against the same 2 decks, both of which have very few interesting play pattern's and are just unfun to play against.

I mean they also didn't even realize they printed the combo, so yes you should probably be terrified they will do the absolute wrong thing (in this case it would be leaving the combo in standard).

I argued against it from the start and told people it was too strong, I said the answers aren't good enough, and that "shock" was not a valid answer. I looked at every card in the format that could deal with it, and they were all just cards you couldn't play and expect to win games of magic.

Adaren

The list of cards for Magic Duels is up here.

Somewhat humorously, it looks like the Aftermath cards in Duels will be represented like dual face cards, which means that Duels will get larger art boxes for them.

Manglehorn does not appropriately police the Copycat combo, but if you're playing a green creature deck, you'd still obviously side it in.

The deck Zvi posted on CFB this morning is a ton of fun.

Earlier this evening I Lightning Axe'd my own Rhonas to turn on Hazoret. You can also seriously smash with Lupine Prototype. Only loss this evening was to a Jund graveyard deck - I couldn't get past his army of Haunted Dead tokens.

Yeef

The list of cards for Magic Duels is up here.

Somewhat humorously, it looks like the Aftermath cards in Duels will be represented like dual face cards, which means that Duels will get larger art boxes for them.
I'd suspected as much. The meld cards in Duels were just normal-sized, so I'd imagine, going forward, any sort of 2-cards-in-1 mechanics will just be DFCs in Duels.

I'm actually surprised (in a good way) that Cast Out and Essence Scatter made it in. They've shied away from universal answers and cheap countermagic in the past. I hope Anticipate shows up in one of these sets, because it's better than Telling Time in most scenarios.

Violet_0

Banned
I'd suspected as much. The meld cards in Duels were just normal-sized, so I'd imagine, going forward, any sort of 2-cards-in-1 mechanics will just be DFCs in Duels.

I'm actually surprised (in a good way) that Cast Out and Essence Scatter made it in. They've shied away from universal answers and cheap countermagic in the past. I hope Anticipate shows up in one of these sets, because it's better than Telling Time in most scenarios.

red was hit the worst, it doesn't get neither Soul-Scar Mage nor Sweltering Suns. I haven't even unlocked Radiant Flames or any of the other BfZ cards, so that sucks

green loses Vizier of the Menagerie, c'mon it's just a stupid fun card

I'm sort of tired of both duels and mtgo

Yeef

I never expected Vizier of the Menagerie to make it in. A lot of cards are kept out because programming them is too tricky for their tight schedule. Vizier falls in that category.

red13th

Kinda sad to hear, but also heartwarming, that Christopher Moeller is stepping away from Magic. He just upload this video on his channel. According to Gatherer, he has done artwork for over 251 cards in nearly 20 years, including the newer Lightning Bolt, Umezawa's Jitte, and Chris Pikula's Meddling Mage. Wishing him the best of luck on future personal work.

I love Christopher Moeller's art, that is very sad to hear. He has been with us since... Urza's Saga I think? I hate it when old timers stop doing Magic art. :( I'm so sad.

Santiako

Gitrog Monster Combo

I'd run all your best decks, and with those prizes I'd try to tune them up to the max with what you have available.

Supast4r

That's a downside effect they don't print anymore. Instead they staple them to creatures so that you add more vulnerability to the effect.

Instantly losing is not a good effect for Magic. There's a reason Splinter Twin is banned in Modern - the prospect of losing on the spot to two cards early in the game if you can't immediately interact is inherently format warping.

People keep asking why they didn't ban it in the mid-season ban announcement - the reason is obvious: the format is incredibly unhealthy right now, but at the same time, Cat Combo isn't something like Memory Jar where it will cause you to legit lose the game on Turn 1 and banning stuff in the mid-season announcement has a much higher cost than banning something on the "normal" schedule because they aren't selling new cards when that happens.
Modern still has those...

Supast4r

The funniest part for me is that the card that gave White Devotion a payoff was both A(Not in Theros Block and B)Had no mention of devotion.

Like, Master of Waves, Mogis Maruader, Gary, etc all were great payoffs for devotion as ETB effects in the colours that hillariously have the least number of Permanents, while GW got Karametra's Acolyte Nylea's Disciple/Evangel of Heliod, none of which really were as good as the 3 above

Granted, Fleecemane Lion was pushed AF, but it's just humorous to me.
From a balance standpoint, it's the easiest for White to have tons of permanents on the field because that's what green and white are good at while it's hard for blue to get devotion. That's why the payoff is higher for blue and low for green/white.

Santiako

Seriously, why post that and not add a link.

LSV can't help himself lol

Fan Bearer

Limited: 3.0

Sigh. I tried to avoid it, I really did, but I’m afraid there’s no getting around it.

I’m a fan of this card.

Santiako

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";234141399]Yahenni's Expertise into Drake Haven is my jam.[/QUOTE]

Not in standard, but I'd love to do Skirge Familiar + Drake Haven against someone.

Violet_0

Banned
I never expected Vizier of the Menagerie to make it in. A lot of cards are kept out because programming them is too tricky for their tight schedule. Vizier falls in that category.

fair point, I'm just a little disappointed because it's one of the more fun cards of the set and I don't get to play around with it

something else - it would be nice if they get rid of smuggler copter in duels as well, because you get sick of it being in every deck ever, which in turn makes every deck play fatal push or harnessed lightning basically ensuring that no turn 1 or 2 creature ever sticks

e: oh man, looking at the card list, B/R madness will be annoying as hell in duels

Justin

Quick newbie question as I have been reading up on some rule intricacies so I dont make an ass of myself at the pre-release event.

Are abilities on cards used like instants if the language on the card does not specifically say when they can be used? If an ability on an active creature was pay mana and a 1/1 creature enters the battlefield can you wait for the other player to declare an attack, trigger the ability to generate the 1/1 then block with it?

Joe Molotov

Quick newbie question as I have been reading up on some rule intricacies so I dont make an ass of myself at the pre-release event.

Are abilities on cards used like instants if the language on the card does not specifically say when they can be used? If an ability on an active creature was pay mana and a 1/1 creature enters the battlefield can you wait for the other player to declare an attack, trigger the ability to generate the 1/1 then block with it?

Correct. Unless it says "Use this ability only when you could cast a Sorcery" then it is assumed that you can activate it at instant speed.

the big 4

Humans, Elfs, Goblins and Naga

Maybe Zombies instead of Humans?

Problem with Humans and Slivers both is, how do you offer a Commander for those tribes that anyone could possibly care about at this point? Though, Elves and Goblins aren't much better off, there...

DrArchon

I'd hope it's tribes that don't have a bunch of lords to their name already. Like, there's already a ton of Elf tribal legendaries to make EDH decks around, so what's one more? Same with Slivers. Seriously, how many legendary 5-color Slivers are out there now?

It'll probably be the most bog-standard tribes out there though. Goblins, Elves, Merfolk, Zombies, Humans, etc. I can only hope they'l be more out there though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom