• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironmang

Just built my deck. I have a ton of removal but I'm so short in creatures that I'm playing 2 Beetles. ��

Decimator Beetle? If so it's actually really good lol. Don't forget that you can give -1/-1 counters even if you can't remove any from your creatures when it attacks.

edit: nvm didn't realize there's another Beetle. I don't think it's all that bad as long as you have a reason to delay the game. A lot of people at prereleases try to jam the most aggressive of decks so 1/4s get a lot of mileage.

TheGrue

Best cards I got out of my 6 packs were two cycle lands and not in colors I needed. My deck ended up having just commons and uncommons in it. Staying up all night for those cards was pretty disappointing.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Is the Wizard Planeswalker Points website not showing the names of your opponents for events anymore? I don't know if it is just my store doing something strange or if Wizards has screwed something up. All the events I've participated in for the past month don't have my opponents names, just if I won or lost.

Yeef

Is the Wizard Planeswalker Points website not showing the names of your opponents for events anymore? I don't know if it is just my store doing something strange or if Wizards has screwed something up. All the events I've participated in for the past month don't have my opponents names, just if I won or lost.
If people didn't register on accounts.wizards.com before the cutoff awhile back then they'll just show up as nameless. They need to go on their and register their DCI number for that to change.

Me and my younger brother went to the midnight pre release and both got a Gideon planeswalker card, went in again today for another event and we both got the same card again, so we have 2 each now.

Joe Molotov

Guys is this good

xRxfJPGl.jpg

Yes, Evolving Wilds is a good limited card.

Tunoku

People on Reddit are complaining about WER screwing up their prereleases - did that happen to anyone here?

Actually that totally happened to us. We managed to get through the five rounds but there was a lot of waiting after round 1. Luckily we didn't have to do random pairings or anything.

In honor of the whole journey to Egypt thing, I kind of want to make a dumb JoJo's Bizarre Adventure theme deck. Aside from running every possible variation on time manipulation, though, I have no idea how I'm even going to get started on it.

I'll probably just run Karona and a garbage mix of creatures with the appropriate keywords in their name (Hermit, Star, Hierophant, etc.) to see if the people I play with pick up on it.

yeah, how did you ever manage to win with those cards? :p
Yeah my opens in red were absurd for sure I cant complain about my opens. I feel like my removal suite wasnt perfect but I faced few bombs that could tango with my absurd opens, and sometimes double trial was just ridic. But glorybringer is like a 6 out of 5 card on the lsv scale. Because of haste, it is such a versatile removal spell / beater, and I always was able to out maneuver my opponents into dropping it at the worst possible time for them. It is one of the best limited cards I have ever seen, though its mini weakness is being threatened by the opponent

alternade

Overall went 2-2. Last game was a topdeck war with him pulling out Glorybringer. I really like how the games went. Never felt that anything was overpowered and every deck I played against seemed really synergistic.

I'm gonna try to do another sealed event today but I was up until 4am grinding out my last game so we'll see if my body holds out haha

I did open a foil of the UW legend and the GB legend so trying to figure out what kind of EDH either an make. I also traded away my promo Glorybringer for a promo New Perspectives. I don't play standard do it has 0 value to me, the kid was literally over the moon that he got one.

Tunoku

More curious why you didn't consider R/B.

I did, but I felt like I wanted the late game power level of Pull from Tomorrow, the mind control enchantment, and the Sphinx. It's sealed and the format feels slow in general, so I didn't feel like a good creature curve would have really gotten there.

vid

Having lurked in this thread for a while now, I got caught up in the Amonkhet hype and decided to attend my first pre-release last night. I'd never played any sort of sanctioned Magic before, only occasionally playing in the office with a co-worker on our break... maybe it should have stayed that way, because wow that was a great experience for a newbie, and I'm already itching to do it all again.

Won two out of four matches, and I feel like I could have gotten a third if I hadn't started flagging so hard during the final match. Too easy to make sloppy plays at 05:00am, but man I can imagine how great it felt for the other guy to win his last match at that time of the morning.

I guess I should start looking into my Standard options, huh?

Tunoku

Having lurked in this thread for a while now, I got caught up in the Amonkhet hype and decided to attend my first pre-release last night. I'd never played any sort of sanctioned Magic before, only occasionally playing in the office with a co-worker on our break... maybe it should have stayed that way, because wow that was a great experience for a newbie, and I'm already itching to do it all again.

Won two out of four matches, and I feel like I could have gotten a third if I hadn't started flagging so hard during the final match. Too easy to make sloppy plays at 05:00am, but man I can imagine how great it felt for the other guy to win his last match at that time of the morning.

I guess I should start looking into my Standard options, huh?

Magic is the best, glad you enjoyed your time. As for Standard, you should wait for Monday, because they scheduled a potential ban announcement for that day that could change the format dramatically.

ultron87

I managed to go 0-2 with a deck that had Archfiend of Ifnir, Glorybringer and splashing for Samut. That was unexpected. I could've played more but it was already 3:30 am.

Prerelease Battle report:
I Lost my first two rounds 2-0, Won the third round due to the other player getting manascrewed on both games (and just pinging them to death with a 2/2 zombie, lol), and since it was late at night, enough people dropped that I got the bye for the fourth round :)

T'was fun!

---

I also got a new commander deck, the 2015 Plunder The Graves (Meren of Clan Nel Toth).

This led through various upgrade path searches to Sidisi, Undead Vizier...

Which I immediately made a pun alter out of:

Probably woulda worked better if he was a Vampire Naga, but hey, close enough!

Wulfric

Reporting in from midnight release; went 2-1 with G/W exert (I made that up). Herald Brawler was unusually good, as well as Vizier of Deferment which screwed over people who went deep with the cartouches.

I would also like to add a masterpiece to the GAF pool. We're pretty good at this luck stuff! :D

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Came in first in.a 2HG.
I played white weenie, partner played blue red control. Steamrolled the other teams.

Got a prerelease Gideon.

Murder

First pre-release report:

Played Green/White. Focused mainly on embalm in white and Rhonas (my only bomb) in green.

Went 1-2. This set puzzles me so far in sealed. Removal is at such a premium that I'm not that used to it yet (this is only my 3rd pre-release and I started playing during Kaladesh). I destroyed 3-0/3-0 during Aether Revolt but his set is teaching me a much different way to play.

The ground gets clogged--QUICKLY. Fliers and anything with evasion are absolutely A++.

Also, the green crocodile (I think?) the 6/7 hexproof is total bullshit.

ironmang

Jealous your guys prize support is that good

I'm glad our store is top heavy. Sure, less people get prizes but if I'm 0-2 I'd rather go home and not be tempted to stay until 6-7am to try and win a few packs. I remember winning a 70 person prerelease at another local store and only getting 12 packs because he paid out to half the field. Just too good a chance the pool and prizes don't even cover my entry which is absurd for winning an event that big.

Son1x

Went 3-2 and placed 10th. Prize pocket had a full art plains and the Never to Return aftermath card.

My sealed pool rares were the 3 mana tapped creatures ramp promo, 2x Throne of the God-Pharaoh, Glorybringer, Kira Embalm Sphinx, Embalm Clone and Rhonas. Played UR for the first 4 rounds then switched to UB. Had pretty bad green cards so I skipped Rhonas. I ended up selling him to my opponent in R3 after the tournament.

All in all it was a fun experience. First prerelease I went to alone. Usualy about half (5 or so) from my playgroup go but this time only one did it but he went to a different PR. I might go to the release event next week.

Justin

Back from my first pre-release and first time playing magic (not counting the open house last week or the iOS game). Got second place out of ten and won 4 extra packs. Had a minor panic attack when I was reviewing my deck after they called "5 minutes left for deck building". I thought I was building my deck around the creature who makes snakes when you add counters but I noticed that I only had 3 cards that made counters so I scrapped it and in about 2 minutes threw out the entire color and added another. Hazoret was clutch for me. I pulled 2 of them (one foil). The other clutch card was the 4/3 lifelink boar. Got two of them and they served me well. Had a lot of fun and am already planning on going to the next pre-release.

Edit: also the artifact that stops a creature from attacking for one mana was pretty great for me.

MoxManiac

Went 2-1-1. Opened a foil stamped Gideon of the Trials (which I promptly traded in after the event), a Nissa, an As Foretold, and a Cycle Land. Made up for my mediocre performance.

kirblar

Back from my first pre-release and first time playing magic (not counting the open house last week or the iOS game). Got second place out of ten and won 4 extra packs. Had a minor panic attack when I was reviewing my deck after they called "5 minutes left for deck building". I thought I was building my deck around the creature who makes snakes when you add counters but I noticed that I only had 3 cards that made counters so I scrapped it and in about 2 minutes threw out the entire color and added another. Hazoret was clutch for me. I pulled 2 of them (one foil). The other clutch card was the 4/3 lifelink boar. Got two of them and they served me well. Had a lot of fun and am already planning on going to the next pre-release.

Edit: also the artifact that stops a creature from attacking for one mana was pretty great for me.
That artifact is ridiculous.

hermit7

2 prerelease (one yesterday)

Today's was pretty decent, got Rhonas and Hazoret who is just a beast in limited.

Played ur with green splash for Rhonas only, also had the 5/3 sphinx who again dominates limited as a format.

Went 3-1, for 4 packs of nothing but I added Rhonas into Slevala mono g for the 5 mana it can produce. I think Rhonas is the best god for the moment if attacking, but gets brick walled fairly easily.

Only loss was because I didn't ever draw either god nor the sphinx. 3 games and didn't see any of them.

Yeef

Edifice single-handedly swings games, yes.

I had a pool where I opened the demon, the dragon and the 5/3 jetting glasskite sphinx, but didn't really have the support to run anything but the demon.

I also opened a Chain Lightning and 2 other people opened Pact of Negation.

Lucario

4-1 with black green fatties. Two mana dorks, some middling 3-4 drops, and a hilarious amount of top-end cycling creatures. Thought it was a pile until I started playing it.

Didn't drop a game until last round - cartouches are absurd, Wander in Death is a ridiculous card when everything cycles. Like, worst case it's a build your own divination, best case it's two solid creatures. And it cycles itself!

Mana dorks are going to be insane in this format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom