• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Glorybringer, I played a against a guy who had it, and the guy I was playing with would hit me for 4 damage everytime he cast it.

The text is;
You may exert Glorybringer as it attacks. When you do, it deals 4 damage to target non-Dragon creature an opponent controls. (An exerted creature won't untap during your next untap step.)

Does that mean it deals 4 damage to a target non-Dragon creature only, or was he also allowed to do that 4 damage to me as the player?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There's some ambiguity with what you're saying but what should happens is:

He attacks with Glorybringer
He exerts it to deal 4 damage to a non-dragon creature you control
Assuming Glorybring is unblocked, it then deals 4 damage to you from its attack.

Exert effects and attack damage are two separate things.

Ashodin

With Glorybringer, I played a against a guy who had it, and the guy I was playing with would hit me for 4 damage everytime he cast it.

The text is;
You may exert Glorybringer as it attacks. When you do, it deals 4 damage to target non-Dragon creature an opponent controls. (An exerted creature won't untap during your next untap step.)

Does that mean it deals 4 damage to a target non-Dragon creature only, or was he also allowed to do that 4 damage to me as the player?

You get hit for 4, not 8. nowhere on that card it says "to player."

Ashodin

In either case, the exert ability doesn't "tap the creature" and stop the combat damage. It just means "in addition to attacking normally, you do THIS and the creature won't untap during its next untap step."

Part of why Glorybringer is awesome.

You get hit for 4, not 8. nowhere on that card it says "to player."

Thats what I thought. I didn't pick up on it at the time (I've only been playing MTG for a couple of weeks) and only just clicked when I read the text when I looked it up on Starcity. So basically that guy cheated, or at the very least misread it himself and was dealing me directly 4 damage. It cost me a game but I still beat him 2-1.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Thats what I thought. I didn't pick up on it at the time (I've only been playing MTG for a couple of weeks) and only just clicked when I read the text when I looked it up on Starcity. So basically that guy cheated, or at the very least misread it himself and was dealing me directly 4 damage. It cost me a game but I still beat him 2-1.

Yeah, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm a competent player, and even I will misread at least one card per prerelease. I think Amokhet was the first prerelease I can remember that I *didn't* misread any cards.

Santiako

Yeah, on prereleases I always assume someone misread the card instead of cheating. It is the first time for everyone playing with those cards after all.

Santiako

I bought a Painter's Servant for my Teysa deck a few days ago only to realise today that it is banned in commander -.-

That was a waste of 5 €

duxstar

Glorybringer is easily the best limited card in the set , its not even a fair comparison. Archfiend never once put -1/-1 counters on anything for prerelease, it either died or came down late enough that i had nothing to cycle at that point.

glorybringer was nuts, but 2/5 of the time I had it cast they had the answer (usually the exile target creature spell).

I mean, exile target creature removes Rhonas, too, and he doesn't even have Haste and a baby Balefire effect.

The bigger issue would be that Glorybringer dies to Dusk and Deem Worthy, though to be honest I don't rate Deem Worthy as high as they do. It's nice, but there's too many good Embalm and Indestructible cards for it to actually be premium removal, even with the nice cycling option.

Glorybringer is easily the best limited card in the set , its not even a fair comparison. Archfiend never once put -1/-1 counters on anything for prerelease, it either died or came down late enough that i had nothing to cycle at that point.
Yeah I mean the 5/3 blue dragon is close because of its survivability, and arguably better in very specific circumstances. But on average, you wait for the opponent to tap out, play glorybringer, get 4 damage in and kill their best creature, and then they use a removal spell. Guaranteed 2 for one and also do 4 damage to them typically. And if they dont have an answer for 2 turns that is usually just game.

The card that beat me most was Edifice of Authority.

That thing is mean. I managed to beat through it by putting Trample on a Scaled Behemoth, but I definitely think it should be sitting on the Top 5 Limited Bombs list. The artifact hate in this set is very marginally playable in Limited and strongly centered on red, so a lot of people just have no reasonable answer for it.

Yeef

Angel of Sanctions is, bar none, the strongest limited card in the set.

Neoweee

4-0 yesterday's pre-release, but some bad experiences during it:

Round 1: Some kid's father that was there and didn't know the game, at all. I helped him learn the game, etc., but still wasn't a real game of magic.

Round 2: A woman that felt bad when I won Game 2 on "In Oketra's Name" for lethal after she thought she blocked well. Even if she blocked another one or two of the creatures, she'd have been at like 5 life with a cleared board, and I had more to play in the turn anyways. She seemed kind of upset at herself due to not blocking the creatures, but I commented that there was virtually nothing she could have done to not suffer the last few damage the next turn, and I got a very snippy "Don't presume about what is in my hand." Uh... unless she was sandbagging a boardsweeper, she was toast.

Round 3: An actual good match!

Round 4: He had a friend hovering over the match sporadically that argued with the life titles at the end of the game, of course arguing for his friend that wasn't even keeping track with pen and paper.

Magic players. Fuck em all.

Angel of Sanctions is, bar none, the strongest limited card in the set.
I think its real close and tough to tell. If you have time on your side, angel is clearly better than glorybringer. But probably not in many games IMO. Glorybringer goes in a deck that typically murders the opponent as fast as possible. Angel would react to glorybringer in that situation, and the reaction might be a bit too slow. Both amazing cards, but I think it is way closer than you are saying and arguably angel might be worse in more circumstances than glorybringer is.

I'd probably give it to Angel of Sanctions on the basis that fast wins are (outside of mana screw or just plain awful opponents) actually really hard to pull in the format, games tend to go late and become more about total card value than racing life totals.

I'd put them both head and shoulders above basically everything else they listed in that Top 5, though.

Yeef

There are plenty of cards at common and uncommon that can deal with Glorybringer. It's a super-strong card if it goes unanswered, but it needs to attack to get value. Fan Bearer, Edifice and tons of common and uncommon remove spells (and counter spells) can deal with it handily.

Angel of Sanctions just needs to hit the table or the yard to get value. Even if it gets countered, or milled or destroyed, you're getting value out of it. There's a very small number of exile effects that can permanently deal with angel and three of them (Magma Spray, Time to Reflect & Scarab Feast) needs a fair bit of setup.

Lucario

Legacy:

Sensei's Divining Top is banned.

So....
-I can go to legacy tournaments again without each round going half an hour over time
-Elves no longer has a 10/90 matchup against the most popular deck in the format
-I get to keep playing 4c cat

eeeeeee

cat should've eaten a ban, but fuck it.

Santiako

Reasonings:

With Pro Tour Amonkhet on the horizon, R&D met earlier this month to discuss multiple formats, including Standard. First, let's address the changes.

In Legacy, Miracles—a deck that is focused on combining Counterbalance and Sensei's Divining Top to control what opponents can or (mostly) cannot resolve—has been the best deck in the format for some time. We were hopeful that this would change over time, but it has not. That alone is not necessarily enough to move to ban a card from the deck, but Sensei's Divining Top comes with its own host of issues that center around the timely conclusion of matches in a tournament setting. The necessity of repeated Top activations to play the card slows down match play and leads to tournament delays. Coupled with the power of the Miracles deck, this is reason enough for us to take action on Top. Therefore, Sensei's Divining Top is banned in Legacy.

In Vintage, the metagame has come to a bit of a standstill as Monastery Mentor decks face down their main predator, Workshop decks. The primary issue seems to revolve around the prevalence of free draw spells for the Mentor deck that let it churn through its library for no mana while creating an abundance of tokens. We believe by removing these free draw spells—and the perfect information that comes with Gitaxian Probe—we will significantly weaken Monastery Mentor–based strategies. Hopefully the move away from "free" spells in the Mentor decks will lessen the impact of the Workshop deck's various Sphere of Resistance effects, opening up the metagame.

Of note is that Legacy is currently the only tournament format where we have not taken action against Gitaxian Probe. Currently, the data does not support doing so in that format, and we examine each format individually.

In Modern, Death's Shadow continues to be the best deck, but technology like Condemn is starting to emerge, and the format appears to be in a safe spot at the moment. While deck diversity is good, we're keeping an eye on color balance. If there's an easy change to the banned list that could open up more decks in the future, we will examine it when other formats have less pressing needs.

In Standard, as we stated in the last Banned and Restricted Announcement, we are still watching the format closely—particularly the interaction between Felidar Guardian and Saheeli Rai, as well as the dominance of Mardu decks featuring Heart of Kiran. We have not seen the movement in the format we had hoped for with the Grand Prix in the latter half of the season, but we still believe we need to gather more data—particularly with an eye toward the effect of Amonkhet on the Pro Tour. Amonkhet has a number of exciting and powerful cards, both proactive and reactive, and too much can change with the introduction of that set. We don't want to ban something that might ultimately not have been a problem, or, worse, create a potentially worse problem due to lack of information. We need to let the players loose on this format and hope things turn out well—an outcome we believe is possible. However, if that does not happen, we will re-evaluate the situation a few weeks after the Pro Tour.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I legit quit. If they don't care about the game then I don't either. I've had enough of his data gathering and obsession with Dynavolt Tower.

Santiako

Let's gather more data, I don't think they share enough metagame to do anything:

xHd5iUW.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean I'm not kidding. There are enough things competing for my time and money I don't have any obligation to wait around on Wizards to admit they fucked up.

If optics are what matters then let's see how they like the optics of empty gaming stores.

Justin

How do you guys organize your cards? I just got my first cards this weekend and have now opened 10 packs of Amonkhet and 10 packs of Kaladesh and have the 10 pack bundle of Aether Revolt coming tomorrow. I have a big stack now. I have them sorted by color/rarity/mana cost at the moment but is there a more accepted way of organizing?

ultron87

How do you guys organize your cards? I just got my first cards this weekend and have now opened 10 packs of Amonkhet and 10 packs of Kaladesh and have the 10 pack bundle of Aether Revolt coming tomorrow. I have a big stack now. I have them sorted by color/rarity/mana cost at the moment but is there a more accepted way of organizing?

Ideally I'd do it by set, then by color. In reality, I usually manage to get the good rares out and then the rest of the cards are sorted in tiny random piles spread on shelves across my apartment.

OnPoint

It's really about whatever works best for you. I tend to organize them like so: Color > Card Type > Alphabetically

Santiako

I think they should've tried to ban Terminus first to see if the deck stops dominating that way. Killing the deck like this in such an expensive format has to have destroyed some wallets.

Value then rarity, personally. I have a trade binder organized roughly by market price for cards that have enough of it to worry after, a box of Mythics/Rares that don't have much market value, and everything else goes in The Pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom