• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next ban announcement: "Although the top 16 decks of the Pro Tour were all Copycat decks, we are confident that with some modifications, the new decks we saw that didn't make it to Day 2 could prove to be a formidable challenge for them. While there has been no sign of this in Magic Online results yet, we would like to give it more time."

vid

Dang, I was considering trying to build a Standard deck, but the reactions to today's announcement have me reconsidering. Maybe I should just stick to Limited events if Standard is this terrible.

hermit7

I think everybody that plays EDH in my lgs already is that asshole. TFW 3+ tops are on the table.

I play top in 1 deck in edh, and that is strictly for maelstrom so I have some ideas of what I am going to cascade into.

I am fortunate that a majority of the people I play with don't play sdt. Though I do run a buck of things like null rod and stony silence so they likely wouldn't be able to use it anyways.

When they first didn't ban combo, I bought 4x saheeli. I wasn't sure why I did it, but now I know. My subconscious was telling me that Wizards would continue to be absolutely insane.

And then I saw the new Gideon.

And then I saw Glorybringer.

Maybe all these cards don't fit in the same deck, and we are all the crazy ones and Wizards are absolute geniuses.

Or maybe, this will be the worst standard we have ever seen.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";234603769]I spent money on Hearthstone.[/QUOTE]
Well you like decks that make it impossible for your opponent to meaningfully interact with you, so hearthstone fits right in.

red13th

Nah I'm sure they have extensively tested the current standard in future league with Copycat and realised the format has plenty of answers to the combo. zzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'm so glad Top got banned. Miracles was such a miserable deck to play against. They could have maybe banned Terminus instead as this ban effects other decks too but Top is just so damn annoying. I play a spell. Spin Top in Response. Think for 10 seconds. Put back. Fetch.Spin Top. Think some more. Let the spell resolve. EOT Spin Top. It had to go.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Can't believe they went as far as to ban top (which is 100% good for the game outside of those poor miracle players, if only for all the time it wastes)....but don't hit standard at all?

I just....wat.

Also, anyone playing Top in EDH is just....on some level, for 'competitive' EDH, I get it, but it's got the same problem as any other deck with a bunch of tutors, or to some extent, someone like Sisay - if you're playing toolbox/answer EDH, it's gonna get boring for everyone else real quick.

Interesting to see the Leovold ban, though.

Wait, doesn't hulk just win you the game on the spot when you sac it? Weird decision.

It can, but unless you have a haste enabler (which, to be fair, would probably be a thing in anyone playing with it), the opponent still has at least one turn to answer, or exile it before you sac it, I imagine?

noquarter

This Cat non-ban sounds like the same shot they did with CawBlade when it was legal. When it took over the meta, they kept waiting and saying they were working on answers. New Phyrexia was supposed to have an answer to it, but nothing changed (still not sure what that answer was supposed to be, think it might have been make them discard Hawk and then Surgical Extraction it?). They finally banned it right before it was going to rotate anyway.

I'm really happy I'm not playing standard right now. CawBlade sucked, hate playing in formats where you have to build a deck to beat one deck or hope you don't see that deck. Sucks though, since I've been playing steadily enough to have tue cards to make a standard deck right now, just don't have the motivation to.

ash321

Wait, doesn't hulk just win you the game on the spot when you sac it? Weird decision.

Curious what this will do to Leovold's price, considering it just got quite a bit better in Legacy.... Hoping to pick up two copies soon, maybe I'll be able to snag a panic sell.
Hulk let you win on the spot if you open flash + hulk. Or if you play karador boonweaver, it's replace boonweaver as a win con lol

Firemind

Also, anyone playing Top in EDH is just....on some level, for 'competitive' EDH, I get it, but it's got the same problem as any other deck with a bunch of tutors, or to some extent, someone like Sisay - if you're playing toolbox/answer EDH, it's gonna get boring for everyone else real quick.
It's a combo with Future Sight and Stone Calendar or Helm of Awakening. Otherwise, yeah, screw Top.

There are already a bajillion ways to win instantly if you're building hyper-competitive EDH, and Protean Hulk is just super sweet. I don't think it makes the format any worse to have it.

alternade

LMAO MY FOIL LEOVOLD IS GARBAGE NOW

Its cool though, while I found great joy in locking people out of games and demoralizing the entire table in less than 3 turns, the deck was super broken and often garnered hate that was warranted. I did invest a shit ton of money in that damn deck though, fuck..............

hermit7

Its cool though, while I found great joy in locking people out of games and demoralizing the entire table in less than 3 turns, the deck was super broken and often garnered hate that was warranted. I did invest a shit ton of money in that damn deck though, fuck..............

Run tasigur and cut a few cards (puzzle box). Bug is great at control, and still does some nasty stuff.

alternade

Run tasigur and cut a few cards (puzzle box). Bug is great at control, and still does some nasty stuff.

Yeah most likely the plan. Might just got 4 color control with Atraxa.

Still feels shitty to have a deck that you spent so much time and effort playing and mastering just be killed in an instant. Sigh.....................

Wichu

Leovold is played in Legacy. I'm sure you'll still be able to get a pretty penny for it.

Lucario

Leovold is played in Legacy. I'm sure you'll still be able to get a pretty penny for it.

And with Deathrite Shaman decks looking a lot better now, I see a long future in Legacy for him.

....Unless they ban Deathrite too, but I don't wanna think about that.

traveler

Not Wario
Joe Lossett was surprisingly ok ish with the ban, but he did think deathrite should have gone along with it.

Garbage? Uhh.... when did you buy Leovold? You might want to look at those prices again.....

If you don't want it, I'll take it off your hands though :)

kirblar

Have you ever heard of a format called Legacy?

What even is the most expensive card driven more or less entirely by EDH demand? Atraxa?

I mean, the fact that you only need one of each for EDH tends to cause it to have a less profound impact on prices in general, I would assume.

traveler

Not Wario
Hell, today might even be a good today to jump in on Leovold actually, if you've missed the chance to catch him at cheaper prices before. BUG decks will surely rise in popularity.

I'm considering picking up some plateaus and magi of the moon for d and t. Still not sure how the deck will handle an elves resurgence, but the red splash definitely gives it extra game against 4 color control, bug and lands.

alternade

Joe Lossett was surprisingly ok ish with the ban, but he did think deathrite should have gone along with it.

Garbage? Uhh.... when did you buy Leovold? You might want to look at those prices again.....

If you don't want it, I'll take it off your hands though :)

I opened it on release night. It was destined

noquarter

What even is the most expensive card driven more or less entirely by EDH demand? Atraxa?

I mean, the fact that you only need one of each for EDH tends to cause it to have a less profound impact on prices in general, I would assume.
Doubling Season is like a $50 card, don't know of anywhere else it is played besides EDH.

Doubling Season is like a $50 card, don't know of anywhere else it is played besides EDH.

That's a likely candidate, considering the price isn't being driven (as far as I know) by other formats or particularly by rarity, considering it's had a reprint. I suppose speculation could also be a factor, though I never know how to evaluate that.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Oh goddamn it. I was literally in the process of making a pretty costly Leovold deck. This sucks. I needed a strong deck and Leovold was gonna fit the bill quite nicely.

Supast4r

I told you guys to expect no bans from wizards because they hate banning anything, let alone bans in standard. Gotta hope that those drake haven decks can compete...or for an emergency banning

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I told you guys to expect no bans from wizards because they hate banning anything, let alone bans in standard. Gotta hope that those drake haven decks can compete...or for an emergency banning
At this point I expect a Dynavolt Tower ban.

Repgnar

Been watching the Walking the Planes videos on youtube. 15 episodes in but looking at the past 3 months of uploaded videos on the MTG channel i'm not seeing anything recent. Really enjoying em as someone getting into the game.

Yeef

So after a couple days of Amonkhet sealed, the takeaway is that the format for ass men has finally arrived.
I don't know that I agree. I feel like the set has a good mix of aggressive decks and slower decks.

I will say that the card that I expected to perform well and then performed even better than expectation is Stinging Shot. It's perfectly main-deckable.

I'm old and slow. You're going to have to explain the joke to me slowly.

Is it Glorybringer's big ol' butt or something?
Creatures with high toughness are considered to have big butts. Around here, Grim Contest was always just called "Butt Fight."

153.jpg

Creatures with high toughness are considered to have big butts. Around here, Grim Contest was always just called "Butt Fight."

153.jpg

Oh, eh. I don't really see it at all. The only impressive creature in the format that isn't "top-heavy" is Scaled Behemoth, and it's not like his butt is that big, proportionately.

I mean, it's a format with six Indestructible creatures and absolute tons of creature recursion/value on death, not just from Embalm but also from stuff like Devoted Crop-mate. Then on top of that the good removal in the set is mostly unconditional (again, because of Indestructible and Embalm), so it's not like you're even dodging bullets by having junk in the trunk.

Like, where are these big butts at? I sure didn't see any of them at prerelease, and I was running Green even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom