• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgjackson

are there any details on the new unset other than the fact it exists

like, if it's another barely playable bunch of 200 puns with full art basics it's a disaster, but i could see them trying to do a conspiracy-style draft environment where they came up with a bunch of weird mechanics that would be cool for a few drafts and kitchen table stuff. there's also like, the very obvious idea of reprints for staples with really dumb art - snapcaster as a giant hand snapping kind of shit. the last idea would obviously be divisive, but there's wiggle room for this thing not to just completely suck.

Justin

like, if it's another barely playable bunch of 200 puns with full art basics it's a disaster, but i could see them trying to do a conspiracy-style draft environment where they came up with a bunch of weird mechanics that would be cool for a few drafts and kitchen table stuff. there's also like, the very obvious idea of reprints for staples with really dumb art - snapcaster as a giant hand snapping kind of shit. the last idea would obviously be divisive, but there's wiggle room for this thing not to just completely suck.

Rosewater said he designed it to be drafted so I assume it will be more... playable...

I must say though that people at my LGS are really excited to draft the new unset.

Rosewater said he designed it to be drafted so I assume it will be more... playable...

I must say though that people at my LGS are really excited to draft the new unset.
To be clear, the other two Unsets were designed to be drafted too.

He has said that there will be cards aimed at Commander and Cube players, though.

Violet_0

Banned
Hour of Devastation seems like a good argument for why they are getting rid of small sets. All in all it seems pretty unexciting, I'm probably not the only one who's much more interested in Ixalan. Can't help but think of HoD as a filler set to tide us over the Summer gap before we can go back to the good stuff

the Scarab God is cool, though

Zocano

I blame the exert board wipe for skewing my expectations for HOU. I was very interested in the set and then as more and more cards got revealed my interest deflated pretty hard. I think part of it is Kaladesh has skewed standard so much into aggro strats that I am continuing to feel strong disinterest from the format.

I think HOU sealed will be pretty fun though at the moment.

Daedardus

I'm kind of joking but kind of serious there, what exactly is so bad about this when WotC makes ten products every individual person doesn't want every year? Like why is this so fundamentally offensive compared to all the other stuff?

Because it takes away development time from other sets! Which is reeeeeaaaalllly bad!!!! Please think of people with no humor!

Well, it's at least not as stupid argument as that I read today where somebody said the government shouldn't focus on transgender laws, because they need they need the time for things that are actually important to people!

Murder

wotc is a company with limited resources as such any used on an Unset is a waste to my tastes.
Which isn't the worst but contrary to different products I can still get cards of interest to me from other supplemental products.

Heck I'm actively interested in trying a couple of the PW deck PWs.

So many people act like WOTC is hanging on by a thread (capital wise) and any slight misstep will be the death-knell for the company.

They are fine, as is Hasbro.

red13th

I'm kind of joking but kind of serious there, what exactly is so bad about this when WotC makes ten products every individual person doesn't want every year? Like why is this so fundamentally offensive compared to all the other stuff?

No idea, it's just irrational hate I developed. I was around for both Unglued and Unhinged and they made me hate their awful, cringy attempt at humour. Never said there was logic involved!

Because it takes away development time from other sets! Which is reeeeeaaaalllly bad!!!! Please think of people with no humor!

Dude you will get to buy a lot of silver-bordered cancer in a few months, you "humorous" people won, no need to rub it in our faces. :p

Hour of Devastation seems like a good argument for why they are getting rid of small sets.

Yep. The article today even talks about the elements that go into designing a small set and the ways that they worked to position HOU as similar, but not too similar, to AKH, and even though they clearly got very close to their target it's still just not that cool.

So many people act like WOTC is hanging on by a thread (capital wise) and any slight misstep will be the death-knell for the company.

They are fine, as is Hasbro.

Yeah, Magic has been a huge earner for them for going on a decade now and even with the growth plateauing somewhat it's still one of the individual biggest brands at Hasbro. Given their investment with the hypothetical movie, the upcoming digital platform, etc. they're pretty clearly in it for the medium-to-long haul and a given product bombing or whatever doesn't have much impact on that.

We mostly just know it's designed with modern sensibilities, and that a ton of people in R&D signed off on it to some degree. I would expect a larger proportion of the set than previous entries to be stuff that cares about interesting things black-border can't (art, rarity, expansion, exact text, name, etc.), does not particularly jokey but unusual stuff (like Who//What//Where//When//Why, Blast From The Past, and Booster Tutor), or does general-purpose rulebreaking on stuff that couldn't work in competitive play (like Staying Power, R&D's Secret Lair, or Look at Me I'm R&D.)

To be clear, the other two Unsets were designed to be drafted too.

Yes, and if you realize that their contemporaries were Urza's Saga and Kamigawa respectively it's a little clearer just how good "designed for drafting" was at the time.

So is it worth buying into modern? Whats a good deck to get my feet wet? I haven't played a constructed deck in about 4 years.

Modern is probably the single best constructed format to buy into at this point.

Well they are the sort of company that could never return to Kamigawa for monetary reasons.

That's not monetary reasons, it's just the fact that there's literally no upside to doing it.

bigkrev

So is it worth buying into modern? Whats a good deck to get my feet wet? I haven't played a constructed deck in about 4 years.

If one was going to "buy in" to a format, EDH and Modern would be the only 2 reccomendations I would give. Target the cards that have the most overlap in decks- Fetchlands, Thoughtsieze, ect. There are tons of expensive cards that really only have a single home in the format (Mox Opal, Fulminator Mage, Scapeshift, Through the Breach) or are incredibly fungible (Horizon Canopy, the Zen fetchlands in a lot of strategies), but targeting stuff like Noble Hierarch, Snapcaster Mage ect that see play in several different top decks is never a bad choice

That's not monetary reasons, it's just the fact that there's literally no upside to doing it.
You can't at the same be arguing there's an upside to revisiting an unset but not to revisiting Kamigawa and ignoring MaRos literal words.
MaRo tumblr said:
I can’t with a good conscience go to my bosses and say, of every option available to us, I recommend the world that was critically and financially one of most problematic worlds we’ve ever done.

hermit7

White can deal with Planeswalkers just fine. Oblivion Ring, Banishing Light, etc.

Black can also deal with this new card (as long as it hasn't resolved yet) with discard and extraction effects like Sad Sac. There are also colorless ways to deal with the card. Since it only targets one player, in EDH, you can even get other players to get rid of it for you.

Since it's an Aura, with red you can get it with Shunt or Ricochet Trap.

I guess those are reasonable answers, but redirect effects are a bit limited in edh I think, and go better typically with blue.

I guess the complaint I have is that for the places that the card will see play is in casual environments and if fun is their whole purpose then this is a poorly designed card and doesn't make people want to continue playing.

Adaren

From Kenji's stream:

tChpABm.png

Unlike most Aftermath cards, this one actually seems like it's very reasonably costed. Definitely has Limited potential, even if it's a tad win-more.

I mean, there was a serious (and I would argue needlessly intense) argument up-thread about how a cellphone picture of a mythic print sheet was going to tank the LGS cottage industry, if people want to question the commercial viability of Un-sets that doesn't seem like a bridge too far.

The only reason I'm not is because I honestly have no idea how well they sell, other than I don't know anyone at all who buys them. Maybe it's made up for by some weirdos who buy entire playsets of the junk.

You can't at the same be arguing there's an upside to revisiting an unset but not to revisiting Kamigawa and ignoring MaRos literal words.
IIRC, he said a while ago that Unsets did better than the Kamigawa sets.

EDIT: Here
ru-ron asked:
All these Un-rules questions remind me of Kamigawa. You frequently mention that Kamigawa was unpopular by all metrics and we're not going back. Couldn't you say the same about unhinged? Gotcha was a bad idea. +1/2 is tough in a game that's already math heavy. Why do you want another un-set buy not another Kamigawa when they have similar pasts?

They have very dissimilar paths. The Un-sets tested well in market research. Kamigawa did not. The Un-sets plateaued at a sales level above where most sets do and continued to sell at a steady rate. Kamigawa block sales fell off a cliff.
The only problem the Un-sets had was that we printed them as if they were a small set rather than a supplemental set (supplemental sets were pretty new back then) and thus we overprinted them. Any set, no matter how good, will have problems if overprinted.
Here’s a different way to think of this. Let’s say I made an offer to a large number of game stores that sell older booster packs of Magic and told them that for free I was going to give them a box of either an Un-set or a set from Champions of Kamigawa block. I needed them to give me a priority list of what they wanted.
Here’s the list the vast majority would give me:
Unglued
Unhinged
Champions of Kamigawa
Betrayers of Kamigawa
Saviors of Kamigawa
And if I offered either the two Un-sets or all three Champions of Kamigawa sets, the majority would take the Un-sets.

EDIT: And another
whitedudeontheinternet asked:
How can be so certain of un-sets versus Kamigawa today? Kamigawa has more mystique, and Un-sets have more stigma from enfranchised players who would buy these packs.

I don’t have uncertainty. Unglued, Unhinged, Champions of Kamigawa, Betrayers of Kamigawa and Saviors of Kamigawa all currently exist. Stores sell these packs.
There’s data right now on how they sell and that data says that the Un-sets sell better than the Kamigawa sets.
That’s why I don’t need a poll. There is actual data on which players prefer to buy.

The only reason I'm not is because I honestly have no idea how well they sell, other than I don't know anyone at all who buys them. Maybe it's made up for by some weirdos who buy entire playsets of the junk.

There are people who only know Magic through Un-sets like how there are people who only know music through Weird Al and Postmodern Jukebox.

traveler

Not Wario

While I think Legacy is probably the "best" constructed format, Modern is probably the best to buy into, as it's significantly cheaper, has a larger playerbase, and more tourneys.

I'm not sure what to recommend as far as buying in goes. I don't typically like the idea of associating with a single deck, as it's rare for one deck to be the best deck for a tourney for a long period of time, so I tend to recommend changing archetypes entirely month to month.

That said, I recognize you do have to start somewhere. Grixis Death's Shadow is the current "best deck", although it's definitely beatable, and it features a large number of modern staples that can branch into other decks should you so choose/in the unlikely event ds is banned. The deck has a good number of fetches, discard staples, snapcaster mage, tasigur, kolaghan's command- pretty much everything aside from death's shadow itself and street wraith would continue to see play somewhere if DS/street wraith were banned, so I wouldn't feel bad at all about investing into it.

The bigger hesitation I have in recommending the deck is that it's a bit harder to pilot than your average deck and you do need to either be familiar with how the other decks operate or willing to jump in the deep end and learn to get the most out of its discard spells and stubborn denials. I think that's a great way to learn the format personally, but it's definitely a lot harder than just picking up a linear deck and going to town.

As far as current format positioning goes, I stand by my pick from a few weeks ago- the tempo burn variants of Jeskai Control are currently the best positioned deck in modern, especially if hate bears and affinity go on the rise alongside DS and the various counters company decks. Its expensive pieces are fetches- which will transfer to other decks and retain value, snapcasters- which are good buys as well, Celestial Colonnades and Cryptics- which are decent buys as long as you're interested in control of some sort long term, and various sideboard pieces, which will have utility in their colors for years to come. Picking up this deck is definitely more of a meta choice, though, than just going with DS.

If you wanted something more linear, affinity is as good a buy as ever, although its recent success may shift the sideboard balance back to having a decent chunk of artifact hate. The deck is "easy" to do well with, but hard to master, as it has some of the trickiest combat math possible among all decks. While Mox Opal comes up as a possible ban target from time to time, I don't think they will seriously pull the trigger as the deck has never been oppressive in modern and is, in many ways, a good threat to have around to force sideboard decisions to have some amount of tension. The staples in the deck, though, are only good here, so it won't be as easy to transition to other decks from this. (Outside of the Mox Opal itself, which would presumably the only ban target and, thus, the only reason to ever worry about shifting the pieces to another deck)

Grixis Death's Shadow list: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/680976#online
Jeskai Control list: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/658270#online
Affinity list: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/677415#online

That covers midrange, "control", and aggro; if you really want to play combo, you could look at picking up the new counters company lists which feature a number of staples prevalent across the format alongside a new infinite combo powered by vizier of remedies, but I'd personally recommend Valakut Breach/Titan Shift from a meta perspective. The deck is well positioned at the moment, with few weak common matchups. It's worth noting, however, that outside the ramp/valakut archetypes, few of the Titan Shift staples will transition to other decks, so Counters Company is definitely a better buy if that's your primary concern.

Counters Company list: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-devoted-company#online
Valakut Breach list: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/677689#online

A_Dang

Are we kink shaming spanking?

I'm not sure how serious you were being but no, I am not "kink shaming" spanking. The card references frat hazing which is decently crontoversial (at least in the states) as it results in multiple deaths per year. The practice is in the news every year once college classes get started up.

Modern is the best constructed format not called EDH.

Also, great intro Modern Decks(that are relatively stable in terms of cards used) include Elves(GB is generally the way to go due to Shaman of the Pack), Merfolk, Affinity, etc.

The biggest pitfall is buying into a deck following it doing well at one event (IE Skred) and then watching as it becomes worse and worse. Luckily, I'd say most every good idea can viable at competitive provided you know enough about how your deck works/the meta.

Man, I'm surprised at the reactions to the Unset. I don't play any more, I was really into Magic in middle school and high school and dropped it in college mostly because I couldn't afford it, but I still like to lurk in these threads to see what's going on in new expansions and stuff. I always thought the Un-sets were really fun, my friends and I all loved them and they're an awesome fan service, self-reflecting, why-the-hell-not kind of thing. They're basically to Magic what Hot Fuzz is to action movies, and I always thought it was really cool that Wizard invested in something that's sort of pointless but that they clearly have fun making.

I always thought they were really popular, beloved by the community, honestly kind of disappointed that apparently many people view it as a waste of resources.

Yeef

Man, I'm surprised at the reactions to the Unset. I don't play any more, I was really into Magic in middle school and high school and dropped it in college mostly because I couldn't afford it, but I still like to lurk in these threads to see what's going on in new expansions and stuff. I always thought the Un-sets were really fun, my friends and I all loved them and they're an awesome fan service, self-reflecting, why-the-hell-not kind of thing. They're basically to Magic what Hot Fuzz is to action movies, and I always thought it was really cool that Wizard invested in something that's sort of pointless but that they clearly have fun making.

I always thought they were really popular, beloved by the community, honestly kind of disappointed that apparently many people view it as a waste of resources.
Most online communities that you see online are going to skew toward competitive and semi-competitive players. Casual players are the silent majority and there are plenty of them that are excited for Unstable.

I think it's probably better liked that the general vibe of this thread. Me and my friends thought they were fun too, a lot of memorable experiences at the Unhinged prerelease. I really don't see it as a significant drain on resources. If you don't like it don't buy it. I'm not gonna get into Archenemy or a ton of other shit they put out, and no one is requiring anyone to buy it. Let people have fun with it.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Modern is the best constructed format not called EDH.

Also, great intro Modern Decks(that are relatively stable in terms of cards used) include Elves(GB is generally the way to go due to Shaman of the Pack), Merfolk, Affinity, etc.

The biggest pitfall is buying into a deck following it doing well at one event (IE Skred) and then watching as it becomes worse and worse. Luckily, I'd say most every good idea can viable at competitive provided you know enough about how your deck works/the meta.

I would say Skred is still in a pretty good place right now. Skred itself can get big enough to kill the big Shadow creatures, and maindeck Moon still wins against alot of decks, Anger defeats the go-wide plans. If I didn't want to pay 50 dollars for basics I would try building it.

Wheel of Fortune > godlike 4x Hollow One draw > Profit?

1 Cathartic Reunion does the job.

Lucario

2 mana land into a fluctuator, draw entire deck off assorted cyclers, 16 power on turn 1?

Bad, but I can totally see people playing it.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Also goes well with Burning Inquiry in older formats. :D

The odds that you have at least 1 Hollow One in hand after performing T1 Burning Inquiry is 34% on the play, which is pretty good

My point is that a Kamigawa return takes up a main set slot, which are very limited; an Un-set takes up a "slot" that would just have nothing otherwise, and mostly doesn't use up limited bandwidth in R&D or anything. The opportunity cost of an Un-set is smaller.

Like, I guess it's pretty accurate to say that in a sense it is "monetary reasons." It's just that those reasons aren't "we can't afford to take a risk" but rather "we have much safer choices and much higher-upside risks we could use this slot for instead."

While I think Legacy is probably the "best" constructed format, Modern is probably the best to buy into, as it's significantly cheaper, has a larger playerbase, and more tourneys.

This is a good writeup to which I have little to add; I mostly wanted to say that I recommended Modern for basically this exact list of reasons (plus the fact that it has a reasonable metagame now.)

Our thread (for a variety of reasons) leans heavily to casual-competitive (as in not a huge time investment but play primarily tourney formats) players, so basically the opposite of the target audience. As a whole we tend to be a bit more negative even on a lot of things that are glowingly received elsewhere, like Conspiracy. There's a ton of love for the Un-sets elsewhere.

That's a pretty good combo w/ Cathartic reunion.

In a deck that already wants to use Cathartic Reunion, it seems like it would be easy enough to slot in Hollow One. Probably not the best build, but the turn 2 4x Hollow One Christmasland scenario would be amazing when it happens.
EDIT: Wait, they will still be (1) each without an additional discard outlet, never mind.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
In a deck that already wants to use Cathartic Reunion, it seems like it would be easy enough to slot in Hollow One. Probably not the best build, but the turn 2 4x Hollow One Christmasland scenario would be amazing when it happens.
EDIT: Wait, they will still be (1) each without an additional discard outlet, never mind.

Street Wraith baby

OnPoint

Our thread (for a variety of reasons) leans heavily to casual-competitive (as in not a huge time investment but play primarily tourney formats) players, so basically the opposite of the target audience. As a whole we tend to be a bit more negative even on a lot of things that are glowingly received elsewhere, like Conspiracy. There's a ton of love for the Un-sets elsewhere.

Man who is hating on Conspiracy? Those sets are fun times, and I appreciate the new cards.

hermit7

Buying into eldrazi tron. Thoughts on the deck? I just need chalices (spiking a ton I know) and a couple eyes to make stompy in legacy.

The good thing is that all the additional pieces for legacy I already own (save the eyes) and city of traitors is not specifically needed for the most part. It's a bit less all in compared with red stompy and having a bunch of 5/5s is much more reasonable in terms of winning compared with 2 damage via Chandra or pinging people with your draws with Hazoret or sin prodder.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
4x Street Wraith
4x Monastery Swiftspear
4x Hollow One
4x Insolent Neonate
4x Bedlam Reveller

4x Faithless Looting
4x Cathartic Reunion
4x Manamorphose
4x Rite of Flame
4x Call to the Netherworld
4x Burning Inquiry

16x Mountain

traveler

Not Wario
Conspiracy is actually the reason I'm more down on unsets now than ever before. It's provides a space where they can experiment with "wackier" designs, create a draft-centric experience first and foremost, and print eternal staples without having to worry about screwing up standard/modern. It's true that they can't go full ham there in the same way you can go all in on jokes in an Unset, but I think opening cards that actually have some value in your collection and can be used again in other casual and competitive formats once you've drafted with them instead of being literally useless is worth the tradeoff. Previously, it could be argued that such an experimental space didn't exist, so unsets at least had that going for them.

But, at the end of the day, it is a totally personal preference and a selfish desire; I won't pretend otherwise. And, yes, this is coming from a primarily competitive pov.

I do think (perhaps mistakenly so) that the consumer for an unset would probably enjoy/get as much value or more out of a conspiracy like set tailored more towards the casual/fun side of things than they would an unset and I can find value there too, so that's why I consider them a less optimal use of resources. I can't prove it of course. I don't feel strongly about it all, to be clear; I just wouldn't ever choose to have an unset even in a supplementary slot if the call were purely up to me.

(On a less important note, I also dislike un-sets because they tend to be pretty ugly, with the less serious theming and frame breaking that goes on. I do enjoy the art that gets put out- even in supplementary products I don't touch- so it's just another area where the set is a wasted opportunity to me.)

Buying into eldrazi tron. Thoughts on the deck? I just need chalices (spiking a ton I know) and a couple eyes to make stompy in legacy.

The good thing is that all the additional pieces for legacy I already own (save the eyes) and city of traitors is not specifically needed for the most part. It's a bit less all in compared with red stompy and having a bunch of 5/5s is much more reasonable in terms of winning compared with 2 damage via Chandra or pinging people with your draws with Hazoret or sin prodder.

Rock solid choice, assuming you mean the modern deck. (haven't played legacy eldrazi as city of traitors are out of my price range) Eldrazi Tron has continued to put up decent to good results this past month, and it's not quite public enemy enough to be targeted too heavily by sideboards right now. I personally don't like playing tron decks, (or playing against them) but there's no denying that Eldrazi Tron is a good deck anymore. Just watch Todd Stevens and see what he continues to do with the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom