• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

alternade

Does this set have ANY money cards as of right now? Nothing seems to be generating much hype?

For a plane and story about destruction, death, and devastation nothing they have offered evokes anything close. I would have expected a lot more punisher effects, some pushed land removal, and control based cards. Nicol Bolas is supposed to the big bad of the ENTIRE story but he feels like a monster of the week honestly.

I don't see any of these cards being played in modern/legacy outside of the crucible naga maybe

DrArchon

Looking over the pre-release prices on TCGplayer, and I'm impressed at how cheap Samut is going for. She's like sub-$7 or something, which is just insane to me coming off of Amonkhet where all three of those planeswalkers were moderately expensive to pre-order.

You know it's bad when one of the flagship mythics of the set is generating absolutely zero interest. I have no idea how they thought Samut would be fine as is when she's so weak. Hell, even newer players can draw a direct comparison between Samut and Arlinn and see how much weaker Samut is.

kirblar

HoD is clearly the "Oh fuck we have a problem" reaction set, and the lack of chase cards is probably related to it being a set full of hosers for an environment that was clearly super-broken.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This set is not good. It doesn't even have a random Voice of Resurgence.

Santiako

Looking over the pre-release prices on TCGplayer, and I'm impressed at how cheap Samut is going for. She's like sub-$7 or something, which is just insane to me coming off of Amonkhet where all three of those planeswalkers were moderately expensive to pre-order.

You know it's bad when one of the flagship mythics of the set is generating absolutely zero interest. I have no idea how they thought Samut would be fine as is when she's so weak. Hell, even newer players can draw a direct comparison between Samut and Arlinn and see how much weaker Samut is.

She's literally top 3 worst planeswalkers with Tibalt and Gideon, Champion of Justice. 7 bucks would be way too expensive for Samut.

HoD is clearly the "Oh fuck we have a problem" reaction set, and the lack of chase cards is probably related to it being a set full of hosers for an environment that was clearly super-broken.

This has to be probably the most conservatively designed set I have ever seen since I started playing. Like it's apparent that they had wanted to really bottom out the power level of standard for a while with this block.

It's almost like there's a design motif in some of these rares and mythics that they were intentionally aiming to cost everything at 5 and higher. Like they were like "Bolas is usually a big expensive effect, so since it's his plane, lets make everything cost 7". On the other hand Ixilan from what has been leaked looks amazing. I kinda just can't wait for that to come, and get this terrible set out of the way.

kirblar

This has to be probably the most conservatively designed set I have ever seen since I started playing. Like it's apparent that they had wanted to really bottom out the power level of standard for a while with this block.

It's almost like there's a design motif in some of these rares and mythics that they were intentionally aiming to cost everything at 5 and higher. Like they were like "Bolas is usually a big expensive effect, so since it's his plane, lets make everything cost 7". On the other hand Ixilan from what has been leaked looks amazing. I kinda just can't wait for that to come, and get this terrible set out of the way.
Kamigawa block was this way as well (following Mirrodin). It's their normal response to accidentally breaking everything.

alternade

When was the last time a full block was legitimately good? I'm wracking my mind to think of a block that wasn't fucked from the get go or ruined by the small set.

Amonkhet is a support block, you can see how most of the themes are for enhancing decks/prior themes instead of making new ones.

Aftermath for instance works great with the self mill aspect GB Delirium wants.
When was the last time a full block was legitimately good? I'm wracking my mind to think of a block that wasn't fucked from the get go or ruined by the small set.
Shadows?

kirblar

I thought both Shadows sets were good, they just completely botched the execution transitioning between the two sets (which is likely something that led to the current "no set block size" initiative.)

Santiako

Shadows block and Kaladesh block were both fantastic. Even if the Kaladesh block was a bit overpowered.

bigkrev

I really liked Scars block. The transition in the 3rd set felt good and earned.
Uh, thats the best I got

alternade

I really liked Scars block. The transition in the 3rd set felt good and earned.
Uh, thats the best I got

This is what I was thinking too. Scars block to me was a homerun in transitioning the story and world. Powerful cards that felt part of the world, Metalcraft was one of the most rewarding keywords in a long time, and New Phyrexia felt like they had earned that win and the creatures/spells reflected that.

I think i'm more excited to return there than Dominaria now that Maro confirmed its gonna be a gimmick block rather than the open world it was in the past :/

This is what I was thinking too. Scars block to me was a homerun in transitioning the story and world. Powerful cards that felt part of the world, Metalcraft was one of the most rewarding keywords in a long time, and New Phyrexia felt like they had earned that win and the creatures/spells reflected that.

I think i'm more excited to return there than Dominaria now that Maro confirmed its gonna be a gimmick block rather than the open world it was in the past :/
Why would it be better as an open world?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, "previous sets too good" doesn't seem like a very satisfying answer to why this set is trash.

traveler

Not Wario
Not really sure if there's any merit to bottoming out standard power levels with HoD or AMK with their current rotation strategy. The block is tied to Kaladesh, which is incredibly powerful, so it's really Ixalan that will ultimately get to dictate the power level of a new standard a year from now, not Amonkhet. While I don't want to see them make the same mistakes with pushed cards they've made recently, this pretty much guarantees Hour never has a spot to see a lot of play, since it will always be overshadowed by the more powerful- and fairly insular- Kaladesh block.

Not really sure if there's any merit to bottoming out standard power levels with HoD or AMK with their current rotation strategy. The block is tied to Kaladesh, which is incredibly powerful, so it's really Ixalan that will ultimately get to dictate the power level of a new standard a year from now, not Amonkhet. While I don't want to see them make the same mistakes with pushed cards they've made recently, this pretty much guarantees Hour never has a spot to see a lot of play, since it will always be overshadowed by the more powerful- and fairly insular- Kaladesh block.

Which is why this whole block is just thoroughly disappointing. Now that we have a sense of what will be coming in Ixalan, it's apparent that most of the cards from Amonket block especially this set, will just never see any real play.

And Masques! Always the block after the artifact block is low power.

I mean, at least Masques and Kamigawa blocks had some all-stars in them. Outside of maybe Censor we haven't seen anything from this block that's a Gush or a Port or a Top or a Jitte or a Gifts or a Daze or a...you get my point?

Angry Grimace

I think the best Constructed card is Abrade in Standard and Crucible Man in other formats. That's not a good look.

DrArchon

I mean, at least Masques and Kamigawa blocks had some all-stars in them. Outside of maybe Censor we haven't seen anything from this block that's a Gush or a Port or a Top or a Jitte or a Gifts or a Daze or a...you get my point?

If you had told me that Glorybringer and Gideon of the Trials would see minimal to no play in standard, I'd have called you crazy. But here we are.

Cards I'm looking forward to are:

Mirage Mirror
Solemnity
Ramunap Excavator
Nimble Obstructionist (I have a Birds EDH deck)
Pride Sovereign
Hour of Promise (TBD, just seems neat?)

In that order.

Santiako

Yeah, of course. Just the overall power level was dramatically lower in them than Urza and Mirrodin.

This block is so sad that Vizier of Remedies and the common cyclers are the only cards that have had any impact so far.

DDVv8_zXgAAAZUF.jpg

Santiako

That's beautiful art:

Endless Sands
Land - Desert, Rare
T: Add C to your mana pool.
2, T: Exile target creature you control.
4, T, Sacrifice Endless Sands: Return each creature card exiled with Endless Sands to the battlefield under its owner's control.

That's beautiful art:

Endless Sands
Land - Desert, Rare
4, T, Sacrifice Endless Sands: Return each creature card exiled with Endless Sands to the battlefield under its owner's control.

This is at least the kind of weird jank I can get behind.

That's beautiful art:

Endless Sands
Land - Desert, Rare

Nice - I haven't put the effort in to do a Safe Haven thing before, but I do like the effect :)

121.jpg

I'm sure this sort of thing was much weaker when Land Destruction actually existed in people's decks.

Yeef

So, it looks like the uncommon cycle of deserts is showing us what Amonkhet looks like when we return. The city is done, but the surviving populace likely takes up residence in the various places in the desert long forgotten.

Glix

Hahahaha just saw Hollow One. So awesome.

T1 - Bazaar, tap, drop 4 hollow ones lol.

edit - ohhhhhhh so good with Street Wraith too

Yeef

We got Bone Picker and Vizier of Remedies in the last-day dump for Amonkhet. When it comes to constructed, it's not worth writing a set off until the whole thing is known.

This is again where I note for context that the bar people tend to set for sets here is pretty focused. There's a particular slice of the player base that looks pretty much just at competitive Standard in a vacuum (and then a little bit at other constructed formats) and judges every set harshly through that lens, and we definitely have a heavy lean in that direction.

While they obviously care a lot about having a good Standard environment, WotC's spent years moving away from considering that demo too heavily just because it presents an incredibly narrow tarrget: every set needs to be full of good cards, but not cards that are too good, and not all concentrated at rare and mythic, and not too many good cards so other blocks don't get played, and not so expensive that it's hard to buy into Standard, but not so cheap that you can't flip your draft winnings into cash. It doesn't line up that closely with most of their customer base and definitely isn't predictive of sales.

Super late response, but I don't entirely disagree. But I see the real issue being a lack of imagination for solutions rather than just needing some overpriced removal to be randomly slapped into the colour.

Oh, definitely. This is why I was so excited that polymorphing became red -- I'd literally been advocating this since the GDS2 as a very red-feeling mechanic and it opens up the possibility for solutions to stuff red normally has trouble with that aren't just destroying it.

This has to be probably the most conservatively designed set I have ever seen since I started playing.

Developed. We've seen it many times before (like, after every broken block pretty much) but this is exactly what a set that was reigned in for constructed by Development looks like. As kirblar was pointing out, this is the first set that they developed with a four-block rotation in mind and also the first where they had an inkling of how fucked Standard would be, so that has some real impact on how the cards play out in the format.

Shadows is a good block period from beginning to end, with lots of good contributions to constructed and two good draft formats. Khans block is in three-set world so like every single three-set block it's stretched thin, but both Khans being good across the board and Dragons being a strong set full of major constructed cards combines to put it as good IMO.

(FWIW I think Kaladesh will get the same hazy nostalgic boost that other broken blocks like Urza's and Mirrodin got over time, but that's still a bit off.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom