• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top tier art on those

Very.

DDVa6v9XUAAioCM.png

I choose Dark Depths and Thespian Stage

lol

Yeef

Waiting till the apocalypse starts to warn people of the impending apocalypse seems.... suboptimal. :/
It was mentioned early in the story that the Sphinxes had taken a vow of silence until Bolas returned; though no real reason was given.

All of the cool Oath and Innistrad vampires are leaving as the Ixalan ones come in, though.

It's the eternal struggle of the would-be vampire player. They're always a set rotation away from being a "thing".

traveler

Not Wario
On the tribal note, kind of disappointed that none of the Ixalan merfolk spoiled thus far look playable in modern or legacy. UG is a new direction for the tribe, so, unless green hits critical mass of good stuff, the non blue cards are a wash and the few blue cards that are there don't seem good enough. It's been a while since merfolk have gotten some new cards; this seems like the perfect opportunity. (I guess the weaker Kira might see play simply for tribal synergies?)

Instant speed discard 2 with gearhulk. Kreygasm.

Oh wow, the good old draw step discard your hand is back.

On the tribal note, kind of disappointed that none of the Ixalan merfolk spoiled thus far look playable in modern or legacy. UG is a new direction for the tribe, so, unless green hits critical mass of good stuff, the non blue cards are a wash and the few blue cards that are there don't seem good enough. It's been a while since merfolk have gotten some new cards; this seems like the perfect opportunity. (I guess the weaker Kira might see play simply for tribal synergies?)

Well we've only seen the rares lots of room for an uncommon or two to make UG worth it.

Might just include this with no black mana because of that. At least in the sideboard against PW decks.

Yeah, usually every time they do merfolk as even a minor set tribe we fish players usually get something that slots into the deck. Nothing really jumps out of the merfolk we've seen, and part of the strength of the deck is the consistent mana base, so splashing for G is going to take a lot of justification. We might still get a really pushed uncommon merfolk or something. We've only seen the rares, and there are also a bunch of generic tribal matters cards in the set that could go into Merfolk.

Seeing what Merfolk might get from the Ixalan is something I've been anticipating since that menfolk on the pack art got leaked.

noquarter

Trying to figure out what I want to play at the SCG Modern event in Syracuse this August so I can start getting my reps in.

Would have to spend a little bit of money getting Eldrazi Tron up and running, but $70 a Chalice sounds not good, and I'd need two. Also don't know if I love it as a deck.

Kind of just want to tune up Polymorph Tokens and go try and catch people off guard.
If you 9nly need two Chalices for the deck, I have two. Pretty sure they would both be Modern Masters, but one might be Fifth Dawn. I could let you borrow them (ship them with tracking, expecting you to ship them back with tracking)

Hit me up in PM if you want.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Drowner and Endless One also see play in modern and legacy respectively

Also I'm pretty sure Tireless Tracker is a girl

OnPoint

If you 9nly need two Chalices for the deck, I have two. Pretty sure they would both be Modern Masters, but one might be Fifth Dawn. I could let you borrow them (ship them with tracking, expecting you to ship them back with tracking)

Hit me up in PM if you want.

That is incredibly awesome of you! I'll definitely hit you up if I decide to do go with this build.

Crocodile

Is it me or are the allied uncommon aftermath cards in this set much better than the enemy uncommon aftermath cards in Amonkhet?

As an aside, the best part of Merfolk being in Green in Ixalan is that it allows Merfolk in my tribal cube to branch out into other colors more easily. There have already been some UG Merfolk so now its just a number/quality game to get them on par with U/W Merfolk :)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I bought a set of chalices when they spiked during Eldrazi Winter but I sold them for very little more than I got them for. It was in the high 30s as I recall.

traveler

Not Wario
This is also a good time to pick up any Zen block masterpieces you might want, before they go out. I was reading this article on gatheringmagic- http://www.gatheringmagic.com/jimcasale-06262017-masterpiece-theater/ - and the author believes that Aether Revolt was slightly underopened, so its masterpieces are likely to only climb from here on out despite packs still being widely available. In particular, he noted buyouts of the Chalice and Engineered Explosives inventions. (Which I saw as well today- got my explosives for around $80 and they're now over $110)

This card's second ability is black and it angers me that it's Boros.

It deals damage and gains life, rather than causing the opponent to lose life. A subtle difference, but one that makes it fall squarely into the RW part of the pie. Black's drain gets through various kinds of protections as it's a true "drain" effect. Red's can be blocked in various ways, but, since it deals damage, can also hit planeswalkers.

Violet_0

Banned
okay I'm actually kind of excited for this card

It looks like it will be annoying af.

eww
I wouldn't even be excited to pick this up for limited, never mind the color restrictions. You'll never want to exert them without vigilance in 1v1, and the card is way too low-impact for EDH

Yeef

magic_vizir_des_consacres_0.jpg

Vizier of the Anointed 3U
Creature - Human Cleric (U)
When ~ enters the battlefied, search your library for a card with Embalm or Eternalize, put it in your graveyard, then shuffle your library.
Whenever you Eternalize or Embalm, draw a card.
2/4

eww
I wouldn't even be excited to pick this up for limited, never mind the color restrictions. You'll never want to exert them without vigilance in 1v1, and the card is way too low-impact for EDH
It's for the standard RW Always Exerting deck. Adding drain to Glory bound initiate and Glorybringer is pretty good.

Ooccoo

Eh, it's only from your graveyard, not every graveyard. Was it too much to ask for it being able to steal embalm and eternalize creatures from your opponent's yard?

Not really a blue effect though, more like black. I'm not saying it's a great card, I think it costs too much (XX and UUU, really?).

jph139

Looks like a fun EDH card. Will go great in my Jalira deck.

Which I feel is true for most of this set... flashy and cool effects but all really expensive and/or impractical.

Violet_0

Banned
alright I know there's some innistrad cards where that type of effect is in the blue but that's just not a blue card.

yeah, it's straight up remove creatures from graveyard to make zombies, not a polymorph effect of some kind. Weird
It's for the standard RW Always Exerting deck. Adding drain to Glory bound initiate and Glorybringer is pretty good.
is that a valid deck now? Go back to playing Mardu vehicles you heathens

Toxi

Banned
Blue can do whatever the fuck it wants as long as it's labeled as "transformation". Even transforming dead bodies into zombies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom