• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunoku

Ixalan, where are you?

One of the few cards from Hour that looks cool to me is Champion of Wits, so I made a quick decklist involving it. It's nothing special, but looks pretty sweet:

https://deckstats.net/deck-13446780-3ad3101bacbbc5923aeb8f0313e69d6c.html

4 Champion of Wits - > http://mythicspoiler.com/hou/cards/championofwits.html
4 Rogue Refiner
2 Pilgrim's Eye
2 Treasure Keeper
4 Elder Deep-Fiend
1 Distended Mindbender
1 Tireless Tracker
1 Ishkanah, Grafwidow

4 Fatal Push
4 Traverse the Ulvenwald
2 Vessel of Nascency
4 Grapple with the Past
4 Kozilek's Return

4 Aether Hub
4 Blooming Marsh
3 Botanical Sanctum
2 Fetid Pools
2 Evolving Wilds
4 Forest
2 Island
1 Mountain
1 Swamp

//Sideboard
3 Tireless Tracker
1 Dragonmaster Outcast
1 Noxious Gearhulk
2 Distended Mindbender
2 Ishkanah, Grafwidow
2 Negate
3 Transgress the Mind
1 Baral's Expertise

Violet_0

Banned
I wonder if the lack of chase cards noticably impacts their sales. I organized a Torment draft once back when I started playing and everyone hated me afterwards because the combined value of the cards was basically nothing, heh

Ashodin

Magic: The Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - hit the snooze button

One thing I hate is when sets start looking like ass and content creators still shill the shit out of it like it's hotter than sliced bread.

The set is shit so far, act like it. Also stop acting like you're 18 when you're 35

I wonder if the lack of chase cards noticably impacts their sales. I organized a Torment draft once back when I started playing and everyone hated me afterwards because the combined value of the cards was basically nothing, heh

Based on the info we've gotten over the years, appealing cards at rare and mythic are a major factor in sales but they don't map exactly to card value.

There's actually a decent amount of cards I'm looking to pick up across formats.

Standard:
  • Abrade
  • Supreme Will
Modern:
  • Nimble Obstructionist
  • Liliana's Defeat
  • Claim // Fame
EDH:
  • Ramunap Excavator
  • Solemnity
  • Hour of Revelation
  • Neheb the Eternal

alternade

Magic: The Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - hit the snooze button

One thing I hate is when sets start looking like ass and content creators still shill the shit out of it like it's hotter than sliced bread.

The set is shit so far, act like it. Also stop acting like you're 18 when you're 35

Haha I hate this too.

"WOAH GUYZ! This Samut is CRAZY in any deck! Double strike is insane!!!"

Violet_0

Banned
Based on the info we've gotten over the years, appealing cards at rare and mythic are a major factor in sales but they don't map exactly to card value.

I mean, it's probably one of the main reasons why Kamigawa tanked so hard. Lorwyn as well? I didn't play during that time, no idea what the average card value was - it certainly doesn't seem underpowered now

on the other hand, BFZ was pretty damn awful and it's still one of their top selling sets

hermit7

Only a few cards I am excited for.

Colorless bojuka bog as hate against graveyard decks (going into every nonblack deck I can put it in).

Locust god as a replacement for keranos.

That's about it though solemnity will find a place in enchantress so that should be exciting I guess to hose other people's stuff.

Yeef

When doing old drafts or Chaos drafts, I avoid Torment and Judgment. Not because of value, but because they're not color-balanced. It really distorts the drafting process and messes up signals.

Ashodin what's some U/G fun right now? Is Elder Deep Fiend ramp still good or did the meta evolve?

any question regarding blue, green or kiora I will lazily direct to ashodin

traveler

Not Wario
Masterpieces have driven the standard staple prices down a lot these past few sets anyways. Those cracking packs for value will continue to do solely in the hunt for those lotto tickets, not the rare valuable in-set card.

On a related note, I think it'd be a good idea to go over the modern/eternal staples that will be rotating this fall. While it's probably not the best time to buy, it's still worth being mindful of the cards from Soi and Zen blocks that are going to be leaving the card pool in case you want to go ahead and secure your playset for larger formats.

BFZ:

Gideon, Ally of Zendikar- Shows up as a 1 - 2x in various DnT builds for the control matchup. Also probably has some value in the modern RW prison decks.
Cinder Glade- Unlikely to ever go high value, but it is worth noting that this is the only battleland, to my knowledge, that sees older format play. It's a standard include in Valakut decks.
Bring to Light- On the Valakut note, B2L has also seen play in some scapeshift variants in modern. Those have been on the downturn lately, though, so I don't expect this to ever be super pricey.
Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger- Common tron target and casual favorite. Has already gained quite a bit of value, although maybe the recent Marvel banning will create a nice gap for those looking to pick him up for other formats before he goes back up again.
Shambling Vent- The only manland from the block likely to continue to see play.

Oath of the Gatewatch:

Matter Reshaper, Thought-Knot Seer, Reality Smasher, Endbringer, Eldrazi Displacer, World Breaker- All of the rare, constructed playable eldrazi already seen more play in modern and legacy than they do standard, and I see no reason the archetypes in those formats won't stick around, so if you ever think you might play Bant Eldrazi, Eldrazi Tron, BW Eldrazi, or Eldrazi Stompy, might be worth getting these before they rotate out.
Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet- Kalitas has held value ever since his printing, even as he's been largely relegated to sideboards in standard and the decks he was played in in modern fell out of favor for DS variants. Still a great card, though, and I don't think he's likely to go down in time, so I'd definitely make sure you have 1 or 2 in your collection if you play a decent amount of modern.
Kozilek's Return- Probably the less popular of the two modern 3 mana sweepers right now due to the prevalence of recurring creatures, but it's instant speed nature and ability to hit Etched Champion will keep it relevant. I think 1 of these should suffice for now.

SoI:
Thalia's Lieutenant- Fringe playable in the 4c/5c modern humans decks running around. I'm not yet convinced the deck will have staying power, but at least it's a fairly well supported "tribe", even if only inadvertently so.
Sin Prodder- Sees play in the new Mono Red Stompy decks in Legacy, but that's it. Not convinced it will remain a core part of the list longterm either.
Tireless Tracker- Not the all star in modern he was in standard, but it's still a super grindy CA machine, so I assume it will continue to see play here and there.
Traverse the Ulvenwald- One of the best cards on this list. Will continue to see play as long as they don't give it the GSZ ban in modern. Still played in abzan variants and Jund DS currently.
Nahiri, the Harbinger- Core part of one variant of Jeskai control in modern and one of the common choices for the pw suite in RW prison.
Prized Amalgam- 4x staple in Dredge.

EDM:
Selfless Spirit, Mausoleum Wanderer, Spell Queller- Along with the recently printed Collected Company, these made Spirits in modern a completely viable deck. Even outside that deck, Spell Queller sees play in some control lists and selfless spirit is an occasional one of include in chord/coco decks that want wrath insurance. Pretty sure Wanderer is a spirits exclusive, however.
Thalia, Heretic Cathar- Sees occasional play in Legacy DNT as a 1/2 of. Also played more frequently in modern hatebears.
Collective Brutality- Already valuable and for good reason; card is played in numerous modern and legacy sideboards.
Liliana, the Last Hope- What I just said about collective brutality x5. Hopefully you already have 1 or 2 here. If not, should probably snag them before they exit mass circulation.
Grim Flayer- Probably the best modern two drop printed since..... Tarmogoyf? Eidolon? Once again, these are already pretty pricey.

Man, Eldritch Moon was pretty crazy for eternal staples across archetypes as far as small sets go. I don't think it was opened nearly as much as the other sets on the rotation either iirc.

A lot of these rares are bargain bin already, thanks to the hunt for masterpieces and the sheer size of the print runs outside of them, so you may able to continue to get them at reasonable prices well past their standard tenure. It's also worth noting I didn't cover uncommons, so if duskwatch recruiter, cathartic reunion, blessed alliance, etc. ever become super prevalent, those could see a rise in value too. None of them seem like multi archetype all stars ala inquisition of kozilek though.

Let me know if I missed any others people should grab. I don't keep up too much with commander staples anymore and I don't know every constructed archetype in and out, so there are definitely blind spots in my review.

Maro is running a poll on Twitter "Who is the most famous Rick" if you are wondering what kind of things we will see in Unscrewed

Looks like the 2012 memes prediction might have actually been optimistic; we're going back to 2008. :/

bigkrev

Maro is running a poll on Twitter "Who is the most famous Rick" if you are wondering what kind of things we will see in Unscrewed

bigkrev

Looks like the 2012 memes prediction might have actually been optimistic; we're going back to 2008. :/

Nah, we going back to 2004. He probably got in an argument with someone in R&D today about how "everyone" remembers the Rick James Chappelle Show sketch

alternade

A rickroll joke card? ugh..... I just don't see this being funny or witty in anyway. Maro is not a funny person to me, and his spasticness comes off as annoying to me. I'm only buying product for the potential land and tokens. I pray they don't mess that up.

On a related note, I think it'd be a good idea to go over the modern/eternal staples that will be rotating this fall.

Good list. I think my only quibble would be on the manlands: this is the kind of cycle that has a ton of potential to randomly be in demand in the future and the BFZ set are all cheap enough that it's probably a decent idea to grab playsets just in case.

This isn't about Unstable, this is just about how R&D are a bunch of nerds. I think the speed with which the knives came out about how this one random twitter question clearly means that Unstable will be offensively awful speaks to what I'm saying about how people react to the silver-borderred sets, tho.

red13th

so much FUN incoming. zzzz

It can't be worse than the From the Vaults though, at least the cards aren't foil and I can get the basic lands.

Joe Molotov

Rick Perry's Smart Boy Glasses
Artifact
If you and your opponent are not sure about an interaction involving a spell or permanent you control, you may explain how the cards work and your opponent has to abide with your ruling as long you can say it without stuttering or pausing for more than 2 seconds.

3e3.jpg

Supast4r

Masterpieces have driven the standard staple prices down a lot these past few sets anyways. Those cracking packs for value will continue to do solely in the hunt for those lotto tickets, not the rare valuable in-set card.

On a related note, I think it'd be a good idea to go over the modern/eternal staples that will be rotating this fall. While it's probably not the best time to buy, it's still worth being mindful of the cards from Soi and Zen blocks that are going to be leaving the card pool in case you want to go ahead and secure your playset for larger formats.

BFZ:

Gideon, Ally of Zendikar- Shows up as a 1 - 2x in various DnT builds for the control matchup. Also probably has some value in the modern RW prison decks.
Cinder Glade- Unlikely to ever go high value, but it is worth noting that this is the only battleland, to my knowledge, that sees older format play. It's a standard include in Valakut decks.
Bring to Light- On the Valakut note, B2L has also seen play in some scapeshift variants in modern. Those have been on the downturn lately, though, so I don't expect this to ever be super pricey.
Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger- Common tron target and casual favorite. Has already gained quite a bit of value, although maybe the recent Marvel banning will create a nice gap for those looking to pick him up for other formats before he goes back up again.
Shambling Vent- The only manland from the block likely to continue to see play.

Oath of the Gatewatch:

Matter Reshaper, Thought-Knot Seer, Reality Smasher, Endbringer, Eldrazi Displacer, World Breaker- All of the rare, constructed playable eldrazi already seen more play in modern and legacy than they do standard, and I see no reason the archetypes in those formats won't stick around, so if you ever think you might play Bant Eldrazi, Eldrazi Tron, BW Eldrazi, or Eldrazi Stompy, might be worth getting these before they rotate out.
Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet- Kalitas has held value ever since his printing, even as he's been largely relegated to sideboards in standard and the decks he was played in in modern fell out of favor for DS variants. Still a great card, though, and I don't think he's likely to go down in time, so I'd definitely make sure you have 1 or 2 in your collection if you play a decent amount of modern.
Kozilek's Return- Probably the less popular of the two modern 3 mana sweepers right now due to the prevalence of recurring creatures, but it's instant speed nature and ability to hit Etched Champion will keep it relevant. I think 1 of these should suffice for now.

SoI:
Thalia's Lieutenant- Fringe playable in the 4c/5c modern humans decks running around. I'm not yet convinced the deck will have staying power, but at least it's a fairly well supported "tribe", even if only inadvertently so.
Sin Prodder- Sees play in the new Mono Red Stompy decks in Legacy, but that's it. Not convinced it will remain a core part of the list longterm either.
Tireless Tracker- Not the all star in modern he was in standard, but it's still a super grindy CA machine, so I assume it will continue to see play here and there.
Traverse the Ulvenwald- One of the best cards on this list. Will continue to see play as long as they don't give it the GSZ ban in modern. Still played in abzan variants and Jund DS currently.
Nahiri, the Harbinger- Core part of one variant of Jeskai control in modern and one of the common choices for the pw suite in RW prison.
Prized Amalgam- 4x staple in Dredge.

EDM:
Selfless Spirit, Mausoleum Wanderer, Spell Queller- Along with the recently printed Collected Company, these made Spirits in modern a completely viable deck. Even outside that deck, Spell Queller sees play in some control lists and selfless spirit is an occasional one of include in chord/coco decks that want wrath insurance. Pretty sure Wanderer is a spirits exclusive, however.
Thalia, Heretic Cathar- Sees occasional play in Legacy DNT as a 1/2 of. Also played more frequently in modern hatebears.
Collective Brutality- Already valuable and for good reason; card is played in numerous modern and legacy sideboards.
Liliana, the Last Hope- What I just said about collective brutality x5. Hopefully you already have 1 or 2 here. If not, should probably snag them before they exit mass circulation.
Grim Flayer- Probably the best modern two drop printed since..... Tarmogoyf? Eidolon? Once again, these are already pretty pricey.

Man, Eldritch Moon was pretty crazy for eternal staples across archetypes as far as small sets go. I don't think it was opened nearly as much as the other sets on the rotation either iirc.

A lot of these rares are bargain bin already, thanks to the hunt for masterpieces and the sheer size of the print runs outside of them, so you may able to continue to get them at reasonable prices well past their standard tenure. It's also worth noting I didn't cover uncommons, so if duskwatch recruiter, cathartic reunion, blessed alliance, etc. ever become super prevalent, those could see a rise in value too. None of them seem like multi archetype all stars ala inquisition of kozilek though.

Let me know if I missed any others people should grab. I don't keep up too much with commander staples anymore and I don't know every constructed archetype in and out, so there are definitely blind spots in my review.

Shadows block also had:

-thing in the ice/bedlam reveler for sucide bloo in modern which was busted until the probe ban

-blessed alliance for flexible spot removal.

Kaladesh block gave us:
-Smuggler's copter for modern faeries/bw tokens/and random legacy brews,

-torrential gearhulk for UW(x) draw go builds,

-madcap experiment to combo with platinum emperion so UR Moon decks got a proper wincon,

-Ceremonious rejection as a sideboard staple against tron,

-Walking ballista which is a cross format allstar,

-Saheeli rai: Combo is banned in standard while it birthed a new archetype in modern.

-Chandra, Torch of Defiance: Sees play in legacy big red, modern WR prison/Titanshift/traditional jund lists.

-Chief of the Foundry/Fleetwheel crusier: Vintage shops staples

-Baral, Chief of Compliance: For modern storm

-Fatal push: Cross format allstar

-Spire of Industry: Staple in affinity/tezzeret decks in modern.

The last few sets have given gems so naturally, I'm not surprised at how under powered this set is.

Maledict

If the land cards looked like the full art picture charlequin posted I'd probably buy more of this set than any other. I utterly love that look (and that picture in fact!).

Santiako

Shadows block also had:

-thing in the ice/bedlam reveler for sucide bloo in modern which was busted until the probe ban

Kaladesh block gave us:

-madcap experiment to combo with platinum emperion so UR Moon decks got a proper wincon,

-Saheeli rai: Combo is banned in standard while it birthed a new archetype in modern.

-Chandra, Torch of Defiance: Sees play in legacy big red, modern WR prison/Titanshift/traditional jund lists.

The last few sets have given gems so naturally, I'm not surprised at how under powered this set is.

Kaladesh doesn't rotate this fall though.

Big Thalia is probably in that tier of Mirran Crusader, where I'm kind of shocked Wescoe wasn't running her. No Pro-black, but she snowballs so hard.

Mirran Crusader's pro-black is really important right now, but big Thalia has seen a fair amount of play until now.

OnPoint

Trying to figure out what I want to play at the SCG Modern event in Syracuse this August so I can start getting my reps in.

Would have to spend a little bit of money getting Eldrazi Tron up and running, but $70 a Chalice sounds not good, and I'd need two. Also don't know if I love it as a deck.

Kind of just want to tune up Polymorph Tokens and go try and catch people off guard.

Tunoku

I picked up Hearthstone again as a new podcast game and it's been pretty fun. It feels like a nice complement to Magic right now, but I don't wanna get too deep into it. I built Midrange Hunter with the Dust I had and it's fine. The plan is to never buy packs. Maybe.
One thing I noticed, however, is how they still haven't really figured out set announcements and the such. Like, they promised 2 more sets for this year but there is no word about the second set yet, even though it's supposed to come out a month from now. I guess being a digital game gives you the freedom to wait longer before talking about a new announcement, but I personally appreciate the way Wizards handles it. I can always look at a release schedule for the next 6-12 months and know what's coming out.

I picked up Hearthstone again as a new podcast game and it's been pretty fun. It feels like a nice complement to Magic right now, but I don't wanna get too deep into it. I built Midrange Hunter with the Dust I had and it's fine. The plan is to never buy packs. Maybe.
One thing I noticed, however, is how they still haven't really figured out set announcements and the such. Like, they promised 2 more sets for this year but there is no word about the second set yet, even though it's supposed to come out a month from now. I guess being a digital game gives you the freedom to wait longer before talking about a new announcement, but I personally appreciate the way Wizards handles it. I can always look at a release schedule for the next 6-12 months and know what's coming out.

They don't have to do things like Wizards because they have an actual advertising budget. I get blitzed with ads for new Hearthstone expansions on Twitch/Youtube/etc. whenever a new one is coming out, they're impossible to miss for me.

Edit: In fact, as a fun game, I'll try to guess the last few expansions based only on what I remember of the commercials (I haven't played shortly after it came out): Un'Goro Crater, Goblins vs. Gnomes, and The Crusade Tournament?

traveler

Not Wario
I can get behind picking up the manlands because the cost is low. I still have a hard time believing the rw and ru ones do enough for their mana cost to see play in modern, but it's not impossible. BG seems like the next most likely one to see play after bw, especially in a format dominated by massive vanilla creatures.

Shadows block also had:

Kaladesh block gave us:

Oh, yeah, Kaladesh definitely gave us a ton, but I was just noting the sets rotating this fall in case people wanted to pick up staples for other formats on the cheap.

Yeah, blessed alliance is definitely one of the better uncommons. I don't see any of them getting too pricey in the future, but I guess it doesn't hurt to have them on the cheap now.

I forgot about Reveler/TiTI. Both of those have seen fringe play in both modern and legacy, I believe. Good call.

Trying to figure out what I want to play at the SCG Modern event in Syracuse this August so I can start getting my reps in.

Would have to spend a little bit of money getting Eldrazi Tron up and running, but $70 a Chalice sounds not good, and I'd need two. Also don't know if I love it as a deck.

Kind of just want to tune up Polymorph Tokens and go try and catch people off guard.

You want to play spell quellers, snappies, cryptics, and bolts!

Eldrazi Tron is perfectly fine. If I had to make a meta call right now, though, I'd go with Jeskai Control or Breach Valakut, as I mentioned earlier.

Tunoku

Thanks for that list Traveler. I should sort all my Standard cards after finals are over and try to sell the chaff. Should probably get rid off all my Zombie relevant cards. Doubt that Cryptbreaker is ever gonna break Modern. One card I'm not sure about it Tireless Tracker though. I can get an alright amount of money for it now and I'm afraid it's gonna drop massively in value after rotation. But the thing is, I'll probably need it for Standard until rotation. Kinda conflicted about.

They don't have to do things like Wizards because they have an actual advertising budget. I get blitzed with ads for new Hearthstone expansions on Twitch/Youtube/etc. whenever a new one is coming out, they're impossible to miss for me.

Edit: In fact, as a fun game, I'll try to guess the last few expansions based only on what I remember of the commercials (I haven't played shortly after it came out): Un'Goro Crater, Goblins vs. Gnomes, and The Crusade Tournament?

You forgot Eldritch Moon! (Whispers of the Old Gods or whatever. It's basically an Eldrazi set I think)

You forgot Eldritch Moon! (Whispers of the Old Gods or whatever. It's basically an Eldrazi set I think)

Oh, huh. I don't think I actually saw any ads for that. I think I would have remembered, because I tend to mark out pretty hard for the Cthulhu stuff. Maybe it just didn't have an obnoxious jingle to go along with it, so I didn't realize what it was before reaching the "Skip" button.

I can get behind picking up the manlands because the cost is low. I still have a hard time believing the rw and ru ones do enough for their mana cost to see play in modern, but it's not impossible. BG seems like the next most likely one to see play after bw, especially in a format dominated by massive vanilla creatures.
fumarole just has to compete with colonnade and creeping tar pit. Though I feel like in jeskai you could do well with a split.

traveler

Not Wario
Colonnade is just so much better than fumarole. They effectively have the same cost- since colonnade can attack and still remain up for mana afterwards. At that same cost, you're getting the full p/t of the fumarole AND evasion AND even the corner case ability to both attack and block with the same land. Being able to go on the offense while dodging bolt and sail over everything is huge. I'd be surprised if Jeskai ever ran any number of them over a colonnade.

Edit: Yeah, Tracker is actually a tough one. I assume it will see some play, but it's not guaranteed and it's definitely pretty high value now. Need to do a rundown of all the modern decks that currently run it.

Justin

Razaketh's Ritual
3BB
Search your library for a card and put it in your hand. Shuffle your library.
Cycle - B

Pretty sure it is a sorcery but the card is Italian and "stregoneria" translates into "witchcraft" according to google.

Interesting that Razaketh's tutoring is being depicted on multiple cards, when he doesn't really do that in the story.

This effect is usually 4 mana, but the cycling might make it more appealing for Standard decks.

Colonnade is just so much better than fumarole. They effectively have the same cost- since colonnade can attack and still remain up for mana afterwards. At that same cost, you're getting the full p/t of the fumarole AND evasion AND even the corner case ability to both attack and block with the same land. Being able to go on the offense while dodging bolt and sail over everything is huge. I'd be surprised if Jeskai ever ran any number of them over a colonnade.
You're right I somehow thought colonnade was 6 to activate when I regularly do play with it. Man they really dialed down the powerlvl the 2nd go around or better said creeping tar pit and colonnade are just way above the rest.

I wanna say fumarole is a turn sooner to turn on defensively but it's really not that great at defense.

Dodging bolt is less and less relevant though and colonnade is more expensive of it gets hit by removal but that's a tiny tiny edge that gets far outweighed.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
They don't need money cards, the invocations will make people buy the set regardless of how garbage the cards are.
Personally I think the gods, solemnity, ranumap excavator, and maybe nimble obstructionist will maintain value but I've never been great at judging that kind of shit.

traveler

Not Wario
Excavator and Solemnity have the highest ceiling of anything revealed thus far. Yes, excavator is the same cost as crucible, but being able to coco out crucible is pretty insane, especially given that one of the few ghost quarter lock decks in modern is a gw coco deck utilizing knight of the reliquary. Todd Stevens must be thrilled.

Solemnity breaks so many things both ways. Completely hoses some decks while enabling others. The hurdle it has to clear in older formats is being a 3 mana, no immediate impact card.

Edit: As a matter of fact, it might not be a bad idea to spec buy in on some Azusas.

For Modern? probably. Or EDH.

EDH seems more likely. 5 mana is a lot for a tutor, especially one that wasn't seeing play when it could already grab a host of useful creatures.The Lancers won't be around in Standard post rule change either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom