• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taramoor

Then you are cheating!

Not necessarily.

doomsday.jpg

Firemind

Green gets Tooth and Nail which tutors and puts any two creatures into play for 9 mana.

Red gets 4 random cards that can't be over 5 mana for 12 mana LMAO

Violet_0

Banned
Green gets Tooth and Nail which tutors and puts any two creatures into play for 9 mana.

Red gets 4 random cards that can't be over 5 mana for 12 mana LMAO

well, Red is also the color of hapzard and spontaneous inventiveness, whereas Green follows the doctrine of methodical and deliberate planning of it's patron, Urza

Joe Molotov

Clearly the correct play is to build 5c Undying Fury, and cascade into all 4 other Final cards. Wipe the board, make a token, reset your life total, and steal a Heart of Kiran. They'll probably have to errata Undying Fury into a Mythic once they realize how powerful it is.

traveler

Not Wario
Can't wait to see the 5c As Foretold deck that runs most/all of the Exert spells.

Red is tricky for the cycle. As sigma noted, you want the drawback to have some meaning, so granting effects that enable a win is a no go. (The released one at least requires some work/luck to make that happen) I probably would have gone for a one sided wheel effect, to get something more useful in red's, erm, wheelhouse while still avoiding the potentially game winning extra combat steps/through the breach or sneak attack effect/burn/etc. mechanics that are traditional red hallmarks. Something like:

2R Hazoret's Final Gambit

Discard your hand. Draw x cards, where x is the number of cards discarded this way plus 3. Lands you control don't untap next turn.

Santiako

Look, a good card!

Bp9SRWy.png

Bloodwater Entity 1UR
Creature -- Elemental
Flying, prowess
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may put target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard on top of your library.
2/2

Hero

magic_vizir_des_consacres_0.jpg

Vizier of the Anointed 3U
Creature - Human Cleric (U)
When ~ enters the battlefied, search your library for a card with Embalm or Eternalize, put it in your graveyard, then shuffle your library.
Whenever you Eternalize or Embalm, draw a card.
2/4

vK1136D.png

Seems decent as a mass reanimator/clone spell

alright I know there's some innistrad cards where that type of effect is in the blue but that's just not a blue card.

These cards should not be in blue outside of Innistrad block. What the hell, WotC.

Yeef

These cards should not be in blue outside of Innistrad block. What the hell, WotC.
It's the same bend they do in Innistrad. WU are the embalm colors and UBR are the eternalize colors; blue is the only overlap, so they give it shenanigans to fit the limited environment. I doubt any of these will see play outside of limited.

DrArchon

A mind's desire for 4 can win on the spot.
Heck you could flip 4 flame lashes for 16 damage to the face with it.

Combined with the preemptive shuffle, that scenario is so unlikely that I'm pretty sure it'll never pop up outside of someone cheesing it with Doomsday or the like.

Realistically speaking, I'd say WotC succeeded in making sure none of these win the game the turn they are played.

Edit: I'm surprised that Merciless Eternal doesn't have a "once per turn" rider on its pump ability. Sure it costs 3 each time, but late game when you've got nothing but lands in your hand and I'd be perfectly willing to pitch two and pay 6 to either deal 6 to the face or kill something big.

Why isn't Ajani in Amonkhet btw, I missed this part.
Ajani realized that the only reason why he beat Bolas before was because he cast Deflecting Palm during a time when he was unaware.

He basically told the Gatewatch "Get as many allies as we can to help us, because we're going to need them fighting on Bolas' turf". He advised for everyone to meet back at Dominaria in a month, only for the Gatewatch to pull a Leeroy Jenkins and fuck everything up.

traveler

Not Wario
You ain't kidding. That flavor text is kind of insulting to be honest.

Afflict is going to continue to make blocking terrible in Amonkhet limited. Afflict creatures, like exert ones, want to be pretty much constantly attacking.

I did a quick perusal of creatures in standard following the eternalize anything spoiler and, while it doesn't break anything in half, there are a few creatures that get a bit of extra mileage out of it:

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Rhonas and Lambholt Pacifist are fans of it as well. Maybe there's something that can be done with it in UG?

The issue with the flavor text is that they are using it to depict the more obvious parts of the story. And to be fair, apparently the vast majority of players are only aware of the story from the actual cards. Still, they could definitely do better making the flavor text informative and interesting.

Like I suspected, blue afflict cards use it more as pseudo-unblockable.

Combined with the preemptive shuffle, that scenario is so unlikely that I'm pretty sure it'll never pop up outside of someone cheesing it with Doomsday or the like.

Realistically speaking, I'd say WotC succeeded in making sure none of these win the game the turn they are played.
Let's see about that.
Code:
4x Flame Lash 
4x Fleetwheel Cruiser
4x Crocodile of the Crossing
4x Dust Stalker
4x Glorybringer
4x Goldnight Castigator
4x Incorrigible Youths
4x Impetous Devils
4x Reality Smasher
4x consuming sinkhole
4x hazoret's whatever
26x Mountain

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Afflict is going to continue to make blocking terrible in Amonkhet limited. Afflict creatures, like exert ones, want to be pretty much constantly attacking.

I did a quick perusal of creatures in standard following the eternalize anything spoiler and, while it doesn't break anything in half, there are a few creatures that get a bit of extra mileage out of it:

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Rhonas and Lambholt Pacifist are fans of it as well. Maybe there's something that can be done with it in UG?

Eternalized 7/7 Marionette Master with Tezzeret a couple of Etherium tokens, deal 14. This is actually a pretty gross combo if Ixalan's treasure creating stuff is any good - if you have as few as three of those tokens your opponent just dies.

Hero

It's the same bend they do in Innistrad. WU are the embalm colors and UBR are the eternalize colors; blue is the only overlap, so they give it shenanigans to fit the limited environment. I doubt any of these will see play outside of limited.

I'm not saying there's not justification for it. I'm saying it's dumb.

Let's see about that.
Code:
4x Flame Lash 
4x Fleetwheel Cruiser
4x Crocodile of the Crossing
4x Dust Stalker
4x Glorybringer
4x Goldnight Castigator
4x Incorrigible Youths
4x Impetous Devils
4x Reality Smasher
4x consuming sinkhole
4x hazoret's whatever
26x Mountain

Ah yes, if you run a deck that probably dies before it can cast the spell you might be able to break even on mana sunk into it!

Ah yes, if you run a deck that probably dies before it can cast the spell you might be able to break even on mana sunk into it!
You're not even highlighting how truly terrible it is.

Realistically you still have to do somwhere beween 8 and 12 damage before casting Hazoret's Triumph or whatever. 26 Lands + 3 Hazorets is a 50% chance to whiff per card, obviously different figure on turn 6. With 6 pands out and 12 to 13 cards drawn.

Firemind

do you mean a red sorcery that wins the game on the spot in EDH?

Because red got this
No, I mean a toolbox that singlehandedly gains enough value for you to win the game. In constructed.

White: Lin Sivvi, Stoneforge Mystic
Black: Necropotence, Yawgmoth's Bargain, Ad Nauseum
Blue: Mind Over Matter, JTMS
Green: Aluren, Survival of the Fittest, Tooth and Nail

The only red card I can think of is Pyromancer's Ascension.

Santiako

No, I mean a toolbox that singlehandedly gains enough value for you to win the game. In constructed.

White: Lin Sivvi, Stoneforge Mystic
Black: Necropotence, Yawgmoth's Bargain, Ad Nauseum
Blue: Mind Over Matter, JTMS
Green: Aluren, Survival of the Fittest, Tooth and Nail

The only red card I can think of is Pyromancer's Ascension.

Moggcatcher, Goblin Matron, Goblin Recruiter. They are goblin-based, but they still count. Recruiter is even banned in Legacy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
At this point I think we can safely rename the thread.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Disappointment

traveler

Not Wario
Eternalized 7/7 Marionette Master with Tezzeret a couple of Etherium tokens, deal 14. This is actually a pretty gross combo if Ixalan's treasure creating stuff is any good - if you have as few as three of those tokens your opponent just dies.

Oh, there just might be enough to build around here. I'll take a look now, but I think your call about the Ixalan treasure tokens might be right in the end.

And, also, I left out one card that it's pretty hilarious with the eternalize sorcery:

Image.ashx

DrArchon

Yeah, sounds enticing if Treasure tokens are easy to come by. The only thing that makes me wary is that triple-U mana cost for the Eternalize spell. God, why couldn't it be XXUB or something. Anything other than triple-U.

Justin

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Eternity + Anointed Procession + Temmet = 2 4/4s that pump themselves to 5/5 and unblockable.

Yeef

Where are all the cycling cards? There are so little :(
Even though cycling was in all color, it was focused in Grixis; now that's eternalize, so odds are we'll have more ways to discard card in those colors and fewer straight up cycling cards.

[EDIT]
Eternity + Anointed Procession + Temmet = 2 4/4s that pump themselves to 5/5 and unblockable.
Temmet is legendary; you can only have 1 in play at a time.

Angry Grimace

Hour of Eternity is like the only interesting card in the whole set

Justin

Even though cycling was in all color, it was focused in Grixis; now that's eternalize, so odds are we'll have more ways to discard card in those colors and fewer straight up cycling cards.

[EDIT] Temmet is legendary; you can only have 1 in play at a time.

damn, this set sucks!

Angry Grimace

This set is so boring It's not even a trainwreck. It's just blah.

No, it's a trainwreck.

The primary combat mechanics are recursion, exert and afflict, all of which encourage you to never block. Limited is probably just going to revolve around whoever curves out much like OG Zendikar did.

I actually like Hezzie's Hizzie. Yes, the danger of bricking means you don't just cast it willy-nilly, but it's actually a proper, attractive last desperation card. If you're dead on board anyway it's one of the few cards with a non-zero chance of putting you back in the game, and in that scenario who cares if you're risking a blow-out?

It's 6 CMC in red, you aren't generally going to be casting it on anything other than the last turn of the game, one way or the other.

I actually like Hezzie's Hizzie. Yes, the danger of bricking means you don't just cast it willy-nilly, but it's actually a proper, attractive last desperation card. If you're dead on board anyway it's one of the few cards with a non-zero chance of putting you back in the game, and in that scenario who cares if you're risking a blow-out?

It's 6 CMC in red, you aren't generally going to be casting it on anything other than the last turn of the game, one way or the other.

I mean, it's probably a desperation card because you're playing it in place of a potentially good card.

I mean, it's probably a desperation card because you're playing it in place of a potentially good card.

I don't know, I'd be tempted to run one in a sideboard just in case I run up against some durdly early-round deck that I wasn't expecting and have nothing else for. You can't always have the right card for every situation no matter how well you sculpt your deck, but sometimes 2-3 of the not-right cards can get the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom