• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
DDcEiBPUMAARwSg.jpg:large

3WW
Crested Sunmare

Other Horses you control have indestructible.

At the beginning of each end step, if you gained life this turn, create a 5/5 Horse creature token.

5/5

Red getting shuffling then random casting makes me think it might be interesting for red to get self-Lobotomize effects, as an incidental effect on otherwise decent cards.

Goblin Researcher - 1R
Creature - Goblin Advisor
When Goblin Researcher enters the battlefield, look at the top ten cards of your library. Exile any number of them and shuffle the rest into your library.
2/2

Improved Hazoret's Hizzle-Dizzle - 4RR
Sorcery
Search your library for up to four land cards and exile them, then shuffle your library. (Rest of card text)

EDIT: Oh shit, pony tribal in an incoming set confirmed!

Ashodin

DDcEiBPUMAARwSg.jpg:large

3WW
Crested Sunmare

Other Horses you control have indestructible.

At the beginning of each end step, if you gained life this turn, create a 5/5 Horse creature token.

5/5

OK NOW I'm interested.

I just went from nope to

giphy.webp

We brewing horse lifegain tribal lads

Zocano

I'm surprised they still had a mythic slot lying around. Can we expect one or two more? I assume there are still two rare lands to show as well.

good guy mark rosewater

Curious how much actual effect this can have on the ballot. I do think pretty much everyone voting has at least some awareness of how hard Chris has worked to get back on this year and hopefully most of them understand that him falling afoul of the new threshold is a good reason to vote for him in cases they might otherwise not.

EDIT: heh

eb262b647656fb8eb8cc5fbea9dd78e2.png

Why is Maro's pro-Pikula tweet controversial? Seems totally benign to me?

Apparently saying it's the right thing to vote him in is the same as saying that someone is morally wrong if they don't vote for him, and because Rosewater is a WotC employee he innately speaks for them in every context and thus is abusing his authority to make an offhand tweet in support of Pikula.

kirblar

Why is Maro's pro-Pikula tweet controversial? Seems totally benign to me?
MaRo was stumping for Mike Long for years. If if had been literally anyone else this might've gotten a pass. But after that, yes, he deserves to get blown up for this comment.
Apparently saying it's the right thing to vote him in is the same as saying that someone is morally wrong if they don't vote for him, and because Rosewater is a WotC employee he innately speaks for them in every context and thus is abusing his authority to make an offhand tweet in support of Pikula.
It's not that he's abusing his authority, it's that he's making a moral argument here. Which comes off REAL bad w/ his history.

It's not that he's abusing his authority, it's that he's making a moral argument here. Which comes off REAL bad w/ his history.

I think one can point out that Maro is being hypocritical without throwing a temper tantrum like a child.

wait what's the story?

Mike Long was a big stinky cheater. Rosewater from his behind-the-scenes perspective felt like in an era where almost everyone cheated they made Mike a villain through marketing and felt like his omnipresence in the game at that point meant he should be in (for whatever reason the fact that HoF conveys real-world benefits doesn't factor into this for him.) It never got anywhere because basically no one else wants Mike Long in the HoF.

kirblar

wait what's the story?
Mike Long is a notorious cheater.

Back in the early days, MaRo (as part of the coverage team) tried to play him up as a bad guy/heel. This did not work. MaRo feels bad about negatively affecting Long's ballot chances by doing this.

As part of this guilt, MaRo argued that people should vote for him for the HoF and argued for a non-judgmental approach to the HOF. People told him what they thought of this idea (through their ballots) and Long's since fallen off the ballot.

That's why the "moral" argument coming from MaRo is not appreciated by many people. You are not a bad person if you don't think Pikula has the stats to back up a HOF entry.

And yeah, the whole "HoF players have perma-invites to PTs" thing makes it so yes, you should absolutely be considering someone's character when deciding whether to vote for them.

Ashodin

Still think it's not a moral argument here. It's the right thing to do simply because Pikula has gotten screwed at every opportunity.

If you don't vote, that's fine, but no one cares if you didn't vote for him. Just that helping him get in would make the world "right" so to speak. Dude put in tons of effort and they moved the goalposts on him.

The Magic pro community as a whole can eat a bag of dicks for not having already voted Pikula into the HOF. The fact that they're now going after Maro for stumping for him just makes it worse. Fuck those guys.

Mike Long is a notorious cheater.

Back in the early days, MaRo (as part of the coverage team) tried to play him up as a bad guy/heel. This did not work. MaRo feels bad about negatively affecting Long's ballot chances by doing this.

As part of this guilt, MaRo argued that people should vote for him for the HoF and argued for a non-judgmental approach to the HOF. People told him what they thought of this idea (through their ballots) and Long's since fallen off the ballot.

That's why the "moral" argument coming from MaRo is not appreciated by many people. You are not a bad person if you don't think Pikula has the stats to back up a HOF entry.

And yeah, the whole "HoF players have perma-invites to PTs" thing makes it so yes, you should absolutely be considering someone's character when deciding whether to vote for them.
Heh that's funny.

traveler

Not Wario
Maro stumped for the wrong guy in the past, yeah. He was wrong then. He's right now.

Voting Pikula being the right thing =/= not voting Pikula being immoral

kirblar

Here's the thing about the "right thing" argument.

Being a bad person is absolutely a good reason to not vote someone into the HOF.

But being a good person is not a good reason to vote someone into the HOF.

edit: Here's MaRo's pitch - http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/it’s-long-story-2005-06-27
#2 – I Am Voting Based On What I Believe The Hall of Fame Represents

It is crystal clear from reading last week's thread that many people feel that the Hall of Fame represents something different than I do. I cannot vote based upon the perceptions of other people. Even if those perceptions are the majority. I can only base my vote on how I perceive things. And to me, the Hall of Fame is about recognizing the stars of the sport. I am not judging them on what I think of them as people. I am judging them on the impact they made on the sport.

If Pete Rose excelled at baseball, then I believe he should be in the Baseball Hall of Fame. As should Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth. To me a Hall of Fame is not a place to be making personal judgments about their character. Did they have a large impact on the thing the hall represents? Yes or no. And with Mike Long, my belief is yes. He had a huge impact on Magic. Some negative, but more positive than negative. (Close your jaw, I'll get there soon enough.)
To me, the Hall of Fame is about recognizing the stars of the sport.

This, of course, leads into the discussion of what does ”fame" mean. There are two definitions. The first definition defines fame as ”being widely known". The second definition defines it as ”being widely known for a positive accomplishment". Does fame hinge only upon recognition or is there an inherent goodness that must accompany it? Is infamy a subset of fame or an antonym? I am a believer in the first definition, as I don't like context dictating definitions. Johnny Knoxville, as an example, is well known for doing stupid stunts. Is he famous to the guy who likes his television show and infamous to the parent whose child was injured copying one of the stunts? I'm not partial to terms that change definition so subjectively and inconsistently. As such, fame, to me, is not a moral judgment.

This means that I do not have a moral lens that I am judging my votes on. I am not asking whether each player is a good person. I am instead asking, to quote Chris Galvin from the announcement of the Pro Tour Hall of Fame, who were ”the most significant and influential competitors in the game"? And in my humble opinion, (and I am one of the true historians of the Pro Tour) Mike Long fits that criteria. His role was significant and he was quite influential. I'll spell this all out in a moment.

Firemind

Chris Pikula won the invitational and designed the best invitational card ever so he's okay in my book.

I miss the invitational...

Still think it's not a moral argument here. It's the right thing to do simply because Pikula has gotten screwed at every opportunity.

If you don't vote, that's fine, but no one cares if you didn't vote for him. Just that helping him get in would make the world "right" so to speak. Dude put in tons of effort and they moved the goalposts on him.

Right, like, Maro's advocacy for Long is pretty bad (I've consistently disagreed with it from day one) but he's also correct that voting for Pikula is the right thing to do.

"Why make us vote? Why not just put him in?" is also a pretty foolish criticism, given that obviously Rosewater doesn't control either who goes into the HoF or what policy determines eligibility and he never has.

The Magic pro community as a whole can eat a bag of dicks for not having already voted Pikula into the HOF.

Yes, I would probably take a stronger moral stance than they say Maro did, lol.

But being a good person is not a good reason to vote someone into the HOF.

I agree. The pitch for Pikula isn't just that he's a good person, it's:

• He was legitimately on the bubble in terms of his career success anyway.
  • His role in creating a positive culture and pushing back on cheating was a huge intangible benefit to the game and probably should (by many standards) push him over the hump.
  • It didn't, and so instead of complaining he legitimately made the effort to earn his way back onto the ballot, and as soon as he did they changed the rules in a way that massively fucked him over.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gonna use that Conspiracy colorshifted reprint to make Horses.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Goodness, Hour of Devastation is looking to be a shitshow. I know I've only been back for a year but already this is the least excited I have been for a set.

We know Kaladesh and Amonkhet got swapped. I have no idea how or when the Grand Prix schedules are made but at least GP Kyoto will be interesting enough because Amonkhet is kind of fun in limited and Hour of Devastation should make it more so, but as far as improving standard, it looks to do fuck-all.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Goodness, Hour of Devastation is looking to be a shitshow. I know I've only been back for a year but already this is the least excited I have been for a set.

We know Kaladesh and Amonkhet got swapped. I have no idea how or when the Grand Prix schedules are made but at least GP Kyoto will be interesting enough because Amonkhet is kind of fun in limited and Hour of Devastation should make it more so, but as far as improving standard, it looks to do fuck-all.

There's no reason it would get better with HOD - HOD is full of aggro shit that makes creatures only good if you attack all the time.

Murder

Standard seems to be pretty good to me atm.

Tons of viable decks going 5-0 every day on MTGO.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Standard seems to be pretty good to me atm.

Tons of viable decks going 5-0 every day on MTGO.

I mean, there's barely any Standard playable cards in the set that have been revealed so far. Abrade, and maybe Liliana's Defeat. But the rest is mostly bulk-rare, limited-bomb stuff.

Of course, BFZ/OGW should have been out of Standard but "Players don't like changing their decks becoming invalid twice a year." or whatever their excuse was. (Even though your deck mostly becomes invalid whenever a new set hits anyway, but that is neither here nor there apparently.)

There's no reason it would get better with HOD - HOD is full of aggro shit that makes creatures only good if you attack all the time.

Yeah, the limited format of HOD-HOD-AMK looks like it'll be worse if anything. We'll see how things shake out, but at least your rare slot in an Amonket pack was typically a playable. You cannot cast a card like the Locust God, or most of these Hour cards that have been revealed so far. Most of them just aren't doing anything to help you against an opponent that has a Gust Walker and other similar aggressive creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom