• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

I'm aware that Maro has stumped for Long in the past. That doesn't make his point about Pikula wrong. People can fuck up in the past or be fuck-ups and still have a point in the future. It doesn't even come off as hypocrisy. This seems like such a non-issue.

Ashodin

I mean limited is going to be interesting. I definitely want to play some of that, as AKH limited was a blast.

Anyway I (sees shit going down in the OT) I'llllllllllllll be right back

Yeef

Yeah, the limited format of HOD-HOD-AMK looks like it'll be worse if anything. We'll see how things shake out, but at least your rare slot in an Amonket pack was typically a playable. You cannot cast a card like the Locust God, or most of these Hour cards that have been revealed so far. Most of them just aren't doing anything to help you against an opponent that has a Gust Walker and other similar aggressive creatures
I'm not following. The Locust God is a pretty significant bomb in limited. Gust Walker will only be in 1 of 3 packs, but besides that, what makes Gust Walker good is that it gets in on the ground late game, then in the air when the ground game stalls.

More to the point, we've barely seen any common creatures. It's too early to proclaim the set as being super-aggressive. So far the cheapest-exert-on-attack creatures we've seen are 3-drops.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, there's barely any Standard playable cards in the set that have been revealed so far. Abrade, and maybe Liliana's Defeat. But the rest is mostly bulk-rare, limited-bomb stuff.

Of course, BFZ/OGW should have been out of Standard but "Players don't like changing their decks becoming invalid twice a year." or whatever their excuse was. (Even though your deck mostly becomes invalid whenever a new set hits anyway, but that is neither here nor there apparently.)

The set is almost completely revealed.

Ashodin

So spoiler week, no card to display this time, but at least I can share the banner:

C5G5mT7.png

It's Vengevine tomorrow!

Ashodin

katI7kk.jpg

At least the design is interesting I guess.

If your board is getting wiped anyway, it's a great save. Then the aftermath helps you resculpt your hand. I like it. I'll probably run a couple or three in my deck and see how it works. I like the card draw.

I actually really like this. For 2 mana you can save things from removal and such.

However it feels more blue for Leave. Also Exodus SUPER HARD

If your board is getting wiped anyway, it's a great save. Then the aftermath helps you resculpt your hand. I like it. I'll probably run a couple or three in my deck and see how it works. I like the card draw.

However it feels more blue for Leave. Also Exodus SUPER HARD
wrath protection and self bounce have been in the white colour pie regularly and historically.

The card is also bad.

I'm not following. The Locust God is a pretty significant bomb in limited.

I forget it has evasion. Fine a 6 mana 4/4 with flying is good in limited, but not a bomb IMO. At the point you can cast it, your 6 drop is probably likely to be trading with their 4 drop.

The thing about Aftermath cards is that you don't have to play them all at once. Something like the above especially you could use the first part for whatever and then let the second half sit until later on if you need it, which... is honestly how I'd use it, from a more casual/longer perspective. Wait until your hand is mostly lands and just throw 'em out and hope for something more useful.

Repgnar

Still trying to figure out the rules but with that card can you declare blockers then cast it to save your 'blocking' creatures and that leaves their board tapped? The instants and stack I still feel like I double guess myself at times.

Ashodin

Still trying to figure out the rules but with that card can you declare blockers then cast it to save your 'blocking' creatures and that leaves their board tapped? The instants and stack I still feel like I double guess myself at times.

Your opponent attacks. You declare blockers. Your opponent has then priority to cast combat tricks. They pass priority, to which you use Leave to bounce your blockers you want to save. You do so, and their creatures remain blocked and deal no damage to you (unless they have trample). So yes, it works like you think.

That they're not using the split cards to actually make interesting card type mash ups is severely disappointing to me. A permanent that dies to be become an instant or sorcery would have been the only reason to really do cards this way. Otherwise they're just simplified flashback text.

Yeef

I forget it has evasion. Fine a 6 mana 4/4 with flying is good in limited, but not a bomb IMO. At the point you can cast it, your 6 drop is probably likely to be trading with their 4 drop.
It generates board advantage every turn. It might not be Glorybringer, but it most certainly is a bomb.

Yeef

Draft chaff is the most exciting part!

[EDIT] For example, Wander in Death is easily my favorite card from Amonkhet.

traveler

Not Wario
We've still yet to get the 5th story spotlight card, which is presumably the actual Hour of Devastation or, at the very least, the card representing Bolas' defeat of the entire gatewatch. Curious what it will actually be since the set has two wraths already.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem with Magic celebrities is that they're convinced they're actual celebrities.

Any guesses on hour of devistation? An alternate win con? I'm going to be disappointed if it is just a board wipe.

I don't know, but I do know they should have just reprinted Cruel Ultimatum.

Justin

Dumb question on something that will never happen. If I cast Cooperate on my opponents approach of the second sun both times do I win because my copy resolves first or is it a draw?

Edit: never mind it says second sun has to be cast from your hand.

Violet_0

Banned

if you can reliably trigger life gain, this card is beastly. Play on turn 5, gain life, get a 5/5 indestructible token. Opponent doesn't have removal for a 5/5, gain life, make another token during their turn. For the mana and creature stats that's quite decent

Angry Grimace

Dumb question on something that will never happen. If I cast Cooperate on my opponents approach of the second sun both times do I win because my copy resolves first or is it a draw?

You don't get anything because its not from your hand.

traveler

Not Wario
Any guesses on hour of devistation? An alternate win con? I'm going to be disappointed if it is just a board wipe.

I really don't see the space for a third wrath in a small set. Flavor wise, even the obvious planeswalkers only wrath would be pretty poor- there just isn't a useful space between ruinous path and planar cleansing, especially given that a lot of pws also generate token creatures you'd want to mop up at the same time.

Guessing its some sort of take on cruel ultimatum like Grimace mentioned. Could also be some sort of Rakdos return variant + draw? (Referencing back to the original Bolas' ability to wipe a hand on hit)

Hour of Devastation 2URBB

Each opponent discards their hand. Draw cards equal to the number of cards discarded this way.

Something like that perhaps.

I'm guessing its not because they have fake Cruel Ultimatum already with Dark Intimations.

Hmm... I still feel like it has be some combination of these effects. It needs to be signature Bolas and I don't know how far you can get from Cruel Ultimatum while remaining true to that.

Edit: Oh I just realized every Hour thus far as been a different, single color. The only one remaining is red. Seems more likely it might be.... land destruction then? Or maybe a bonfire of the damned variant?

Angry Grimace

I really don't see the space for a third wrath in a small set. Flavor wise, even the obvious planeswalkers only wrath would be pretty poor- there just isn't a useful space between ruinous path and planar cleansing, especially given that a lot of pws also generate token creatures you'd want to mop up at the same time.

Guessing its some sort of take on cruel ultimatum like Grimace mentioned. Could also be some sort of Rakdos return variant + draw?

Hour of Devastation 2URB

Each opponent discards their hand. Draw cards equal to the number of cards discarded this way.

Something like that perhaps.

I'm guessing its not because they have fake Cruel Ultimatum already with Dark Intimations.

Ashodin

if you can reliably trigger life gain, this card is beastly. Play on turn 5, gain life, get a 5/5 indestructible token. Opponent doesn't have removal for a 5/5, gain life, make another token during their turn. For the mana and creature stats that's quite decent

This is what I got so far brewing. LMK if you have any thoughts or additions.

bAYuMHr.gif

(Regal Caracal is Horse)

I just counted out the cards we've seen from this set, and roughly a third of what has been revealed of the set so far has a cmc of 5 or higher. So far Aether Revolt (a set with a cost reduction mechanic in it) has only 10 more 5 plus drops in the set, and we haven't even seen the full Hour of Devastation set yet

Ashodin

Reading today's story, I wouldn't be surprised if we went to a world entirely cognizant of Planeswalkers and absolutely hate them for being beings that meddle in the affairs of the plane. Like they all basically hate Planeswalkers and anyone who goes there is captured or just generally screwed.

Reading today's story, I wouldn't be surprised if we went to a world entirely cognizant of Planeswalkers and absolutely hate them for being beings that meddle in the affairs of the plane. Like they all basically hate Planeswalkers and anyone who goes there is captured or just generally screwed.

They seem to be setting up that this is something going on a little on Ravnica.

traveler

Not Wario
Still not clear on why Bolas went about things the way he did. Like, all of this was just to get a zombie army? Surely, there are less convoluted ways to go about getting a skilled army? And, furthermore, if Amonkhet was to be a harvesting ground, why trash it totally? Why not make the coming of the God Pharaoh a periodic ritual, where he can harvest crops and take them onto the "promised afterlife", making an appearance to bolster the faith of his followers on the plane, and promising to return to harvest more later? Seems like a total waste to just destroy everything. I kind of expected.... better our of Magic's supposed mastermind. Bolas' strength, rather than being represented through a truly cunning plan to achieve incredible power, has thus far been shown in the most boring and, well, unfair manner possible- the guy just trashes gods and planeswalkers like it's nothing, both pre and post mending. It's the same escalation of power I find boring and frustrating when I hear about stuff like cosmic marvel's villains.

And the final question I have- and this, to be fair, will be addressed in time I'm sure- is what is the army for? What threat is Bolas planning to take on that he with his already incredible power can't deal with but an army of purple metal zombies can?

traveler

Not Wario
wLH8axp.png

Neat design. Still not sure you can really do much building around cycling in constructed as there's a ton of mana tied up in durdling first, but I like that they're at least giving a little push.

Ashodin

wLH8axp.png

Neat design. Still not sure you can really do much building around cycling in constructed as there's a ton of mana tied up in durdling first, but I like that they're at least giving a little push.

This is actually cool as shit, lets you recast creatures and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom