• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
the greatest thief in the multiverse

if they really make planeswalkers all legendary i cant wait for the dack fayden mycosynth lattice deck
Making Dack Fayden Legendary doesn't make him eligible to be your commander

mgtn

My favorite card of the set.

Hollow-One-Hour-of-Devastation-Spoiler.png

Yeef

Part of Bolas' character is that he is vain and cruel. He's basically a diva.

I mean, he didn't have to put the giant horns up on Amonkhet; they don't actually do anything, it was purely a vanity thing.

Part of Bolas' character is that he is vain and cruel. He's basically a diva.

I mean, he didn't have to put the giant horns up on Amonkhet; they don't actually do anything, it was purely a vanity thing.
That reminds me, did they ever explain why amonkhetti pyramids have floating tops?
He doesn't know that (at least I assume he doesn't).

It's a stupid goal, but it's also one he can relish quashing opponents with ease and also

he's a fucking dragon
He just toyed with Jace's mind. He apparently knows of the gatewatch and I hope they didn't introduce themselves as such to him.

traveler

Not Wario
Man, I'm terrible at vintage cube. I haven't 3-0'd a single draft yet and i've already played like 4. What are the best archetypes in this thing? I know the individually strong cards, I'm just not drafting entire decks right.

Crocodile

So I think we have all the mythics spoiled, how many rares are left unspoiled? Curious if any "Boros Reckoner" cards are going to drop tomorrow.

Santiako

So I think we have all the mythics spoiled, how many rares are left unspoiled? Curious if any "Boros Reckoner" cards are going to drop tomorrow.

We have all mythics and all rares. Let's hope for a Glimmer of Genius or something like that tomorrow.

I'm gonna guess magic.

That feels right to me.

Yeah, that's one of those thing that doesn't need to be explained, like why does everyone that dies in Amonkhet comes back to life.

kirblar

I think the artist just kinda botched this. The concept for the card is fine but holy shit you need a table or something between them.

traveler

Not Wario
Why the hell are they kneeling lol. Is there an invisible ceiling above them? I feel like Bolas would just fly by, shake his head, and keep on going while these dorks kneel awkwardly on a ledge for no apparent reason.

Gideon just really looks like he wants to punch Jace, which I can totally empathize with, but you don't need to have your shield in-hand and fist clenched when you're having a conversation. Along with the rest of the posture it reads more as "aggression" and less as "intense listening".

traveler

Not Wario
Also I love how this card is basically the warning Ajani gave them verbatim, only considerably late, after they've already charged in and Bolas is unleashing his, erm, endgame.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Man, I'm terrible at vintage cube. I haven't 3-0'd a single draft yet and i've already played like 4. What are the best archetypes in this thing? I know the individually strong cards, I'm just not drafting entire decks right.

There are a few super strong archtypes. Reanimator is super strong I feel. Never pass power or something like mana vault. White weenie is a trap. Fixing is more important than you think.

Also I love how this card is basically the warning Ajani gave them verbatim, only considerably late, after they've already charged in and Bolas is unleashing his, erm, endgame.

Jace is super good at remembering the good advice given to him by much smarter, older people well after the point where it would have been good to remember.

Murder

Wow, Skyward Eye Prophets would be an awesome playmat.

Looks like other people thought so too cause it's out there. Strategic Planning, on the other hand, is awful.

Skyward Eye Prophets art is badass, damn
Seriously... those are some freaky badass prophets. Love it.

And speaking of Magic art, where do you guys go to see it? I like grabbing high res wallpapers, but the MTG art reddit seems to be dying slowly.

Did this card get posted in this thread yet...?
QaX6Xjh.jpg

Discarding a land late game seems like good value for a 4/4 and 4 life, at least in limited.

And speaking of Magic art, where do you guys go to see it? I like grabbing high res wallpapers, but the MTG art reddit seems to be dying slowly.

QaX6Xjh.jpg

Discarding a land late game seems like good value for a 4/4 and 4 life, at least in limited.

The token for this was revealed earlier, but not the card. That's way more efficient than I was expecting.

Y'all dumping on that card art like stuff isn't allowed to be cheesy. It's slightly silly but perfectly fine. The sketch makes it obvious how the art got where it is and was fine to approve. The mishap occurs when they remove the door from the art, so instead of implying where they're going it's just implying background. Likely an edict handed down from on high.

Y'all dumping on that card art like stuff isn't allowed to be cheesy. It's slightly silly but perfectly fine. The sketch makes it obvious how the art got where it is and was fine to approve. The mishap occurs when they remove the door from the art, so instead of implying where they're going it's just implying background. Likely an edict handed down from on high.

The door's still there, it's just open.

Wulfric

QaX6Xjh.jpg

What are you looking for?

You can find lots of new traditional pieces in high resolution on the Facebook group I linked. Artist websites are a good starting point as well. WotC still uploads new wallpapers every week:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/media/wallpapers

Murder

QaX6Xjh.jpg

https://scryfall.com/ curates their own super-high res images of most cards. Don't think they are wall-paper sized, but they are very big.

What are you looking for?

You can find lots of new traditional pieces in high resolution on the Facebook group I linked. Artist websites are a good starting point as well. WotC still uploads new wallpapers every week:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/media/wallpapers
I'm not looking for anything in particular really, just a steady stream of high quality Magic art :) I'll bookmark those, thanks!

I'd been visiting ArtOfMtg.com too, but got worried when I didn't see a section for Hour of Devastation. It turns out I was just skimming too quickly. The site didn't add a new splash / banner image like they normally do, but they actually do have an area just for the new set's art.

Daedardus

It's festival seasons so it seems I have much to catch up with reading stuff.

So that's a Dromedary not a camel. Just looked it up and this has to be the first time since the original where wotc made this kind of misnomer.

Unless the 2nd hump is caved in.

A dromedary is actually a type of camel, where the two humped one is called a bactrian camel. You could even argue that camelids can be called camels, so that alpacas and llamas get the camel subtype.

Firemind

I get the best results with blue control. Storm is a trap (some day it will work!). Mono green is great if it's open but without card draw, sometimes I get hands with just mana elves and little action or all action and no mana elves. Mono red can punish greedy decks easily but can be hated out by a number of cards or just the nuts draw (I got t2 Iona'd the other day lol). Reanimator needs the pieces to work and ideally Griselbrand. Recurring Nightmare is just value town which is sweet against other fair decks.

I say there are a number of p1p1 (till p8 or so) cards you can build a deck around (besides power and powerful cards see below):
Tinker, Channel, OG Emrakul, Griselbrand, Craterhoof Behemoth/Rofellos/Gaea's Cradle, Kiki-Jiki/Splinter Twin, Recurring Nightmare. Besides the obvious powerful cards like JTMS, Karnfather, Mana Drain, Treachery, Demonic Tutor, Mind Twist, the non-power artifact rocks. Cards like Sneak Attack, Natural Order, Living Death are near worthless without the combo pieces (Tinker and Channel are the exception because they're busted. And Kiki/Splinter Twin just wins the game on the spot while the other three pieces are not in high demand).

Probably more I'm forgetting. Blue control is the safest route though. You just need a small number of threats, some mana acceleration, some card draw and a moderate amount of answers, the best being a mix of counterspells and removal. Black lacks non-creature removal but has discard to make up for it. You shouldn't sleep on cards that are both threats and answers though like Vendilion Clique, Glen Elendra Archmage and Vedalken Shackles. And of course planeswalkers are fine finishers too, especially JTMS, Karn and Ashiok. Ugin is okay but definitely below those three.

A dromedary is actually a type of camel, where the two humped one is called a bactrian camel. You could even argue that camelids can be called camels, so that alpacas and llamas get the camel subtype.
It's a misnomer in the name not the type. I checked beforehand and the other times Wizards did use Dromedary in the name as late as Kaladesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom