• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunoku

Alright, done with this semester. I'm very excited to play a shitload of Magic next month!

@Vogel You coming to the store today?

Hey there old friend.

en_7exh9Gncnv.png

Maledict

It's a misnomer in the name not the type. I checked beforehand and the other times Wizards did use Dromedary in the name as late as Kaladesh.

Um, in English you call both dromedaries and bactarians as just camels. Most people don't specify the type of camel. Its interchangeable whether you call something a camel or a dromedary.

Kinda funny that people have been talking about using Thalia's Lancers to fetch planeswalkers under the upcoming new legend rule, when this set has something almost identical that's used to fetch Planeswalkers (Djeru with Eyes Open)

Yeef

Seems like it could be nuts in limited if you get the zombie deck.
en_Hc2XyLvJzN.png

Didn't think we'd ever see this reprinted in Standard
en_7exh9Gncnv.png

This is basically clear shot at common. Should be really good.
en_Gw9CBmIrYl.png

I like the new art on these
en_FcvMHQrarl.png
en_qFA9753I74.png
en_vmpaQU59XL.png

This is pretty bad. I'd rather play Painted Bluffs / Unknown Shores / Shimmering Grotto and fix any colors than have the 1 life (and even those I wouldn't play)
en_cp5qzHTCTK.png

Justin

Is -1/-1 counters happening?

Ammit Eternal
Oblisk Spider
Archfiend of Ifner
Nest of Scrabs
Ruthless Sniper
Key to the City
Channeler initiate
Tenacious Hunter

???

DrArchon

en_Ebkwr2NuBK.png

Yeah, this is sick for limited. Exile is so fucking good when so much stuff is gonna come back as a 4/4. And Red's already probably the best color for draft.

So we have worse Basking Rootwalla (even though it's a Rootwalla that's basking) and easier to cast but less powerful Overrun to go with "Lightning Strike is too good here"
en_pDAXliwsiE.png
en_YLxIgCYIZc.png

Violet_0

Banned
This is pretty bad. I'd rather play Painted Bluffs / Unknown Shores / Shimmering Grotto and fix any colors than have the 1 life (and even those I wouldn't play)
http://media.wizards.com/2017/hou/en_cp5qzHTCTK.png
so much for Grixis mana
honestly though, sans Bolas, I don't think there are many good reasons to play R and B together anyway. Red gives you HoD, Abrade, KLD Chandra, Glorybringer + the usual removal spells, Black just doesn't seem all that interesting for a typical control deck aside from the Lillies, Push and the discard spells maybe
en_CVXaUq23Rq.png

What a headache in limited.
awesome art. I like the card, too

DrArchon

en_9UOSsLEEAV.png

OK, I really like this. Good in the early game and the late game. And with so many cards that provide their own -1/-1 counters, you'll never lack for good targets.

Joe Molotov

en_cp5qzHTCTK.png

lol, even the dream of getting Crumbling Necropolis is dead. RIP in peace, Hour of Devastation.

Yeef

Cards that care about deserts:

White - 1 Common, 1 Uncommon
Blue - 1 Common
Black - 1 Common
Red - 1 Common, 1 Uncommon
Green - 1 Common, 1 Uncommon, 2 Rares
Lands - 5 Uncommons, 1 Rare

I expected RG to be the main desert color deck, but I wasn't expecting white to get in on it.

Cursory glace; it feels like, even more than usual, all of the good removal is in black and red. There also seems to be a fair amount of life game in the set, so I'm imagining it'll be grindier than triple AKH.

Common Removal

Uncommon Removal

Common Tricks

Uncommon Tricks

Maledict

When was forcing people to attack a blue ability? Hasn't that always been a red primary / green secondary thing or am I going mad?

DrArchon

Is it me, or is Vile Manifestation constructed playable? I know, it dies to Fatal Push!

Just seems worse than Enigma Drake to me honestly. Most of the good cycling cards are already instants and sorceries, Drake only dies to revolt FP, and having high power isn't that great with no evasion.

Santiako

Aren't there some janky decks that run Thermo-Alchemist? This looks like a pretty good addition to those, if not a replacement.

Not janky, Thermo is a pauper staple. I don't see this replacing T-A since you always get at least 1 damage per turn with it, regardless of blockers, but I can see these as Thermo 5-8 if needed.

I'm surprised by the return of a noncreature spells matter theme this set. We haven't seen it at this level since Tarkir.

About Crumbling Necropolis not being in the set after all, the replacement also starts with 'C', so it was probably a last minute replacement and they forgot to update the art book. They probably didn't want to push Grixis as much.

DrArchon

Not janky, Thermo is a pauper staple. I don't see this replacing T-A since you always get at least 1 damage per turn with it, regardless of blockers, but I can see these as Thermo 5-8 if needed.

I meant janky in the sense of non-pauper decks using Thermos. It's certainly the real deal in pauper.

This new one seems pretty good against decks without a ton of creatures though. Thermo gets 1 damage per turn, but with no blockers archer gets 2.

Santiako

I meant janky in the sense of non-pauper decks using Thermos. It's certainly the real deal in pauper.

This new one seems pretty good against decks without a ton of creatures though. Thermo gets 1 damage per turn, but with no blockers archer gets 2.

UR Thermo Alchemist was a thing briefly when Eldritch Moon released in standard, but haven't seen it since. Anyway, I'm sure grapeshot girl will see play in pauper.

What the fuck is with this set's flavor text?

This is the end result of 2+ years of people complaining about every single set that it wasn't clear enough what was going on.

About Crumbling Necropolis not being in the set after all, the replacement also starts with 'C', so it was probably a last minute replacement and they forgot to update the art book. They probably didn't want to push Grixis as much.

Yeah, it was almost certainly originally Crumbling Necropolis (with the same creative concept) that they swapped at the last minute.

Justin

This is the end result of 2+ years of people complaining about every single set that it wasn't clear enough what was going on.

Yeah, it was almost certainly originally Crumbling Necropolis (with the same creative concept) that they swapped at the last minute.

Its in the new Archenemy

Ashodin

This set sucks!

Flavor is fine, flavor text is shit.

Very little cards will make a splash until rotation, and even then Ixalan will eat Amonkhet's lunch. Sad!

OnPoint

They're literally pulling planeswalker power levels out of their asses.

And what was it that shook the Gatewatch so much?

Bolas wiping the floor with them? (You should check the spoilers from a few pages back)

I mean, he's ABSURDLY powerful according to the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom